or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › *Official* Optoma HD20 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Official* Optoma HD20 Thread - Page 114

post #3391 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesVG81 View Post

Picked up a HD20 over the weekend from Bestbuy for 800 bucks opened box. Got it home and it only had 1 hour on it. Heck of a deal. I am using it on a gray wall for the time being in a detectaed room. I am really happy with it so far. Every one that has seen it thinks it looks great. I can't wait to get my screen with built in masking to see how this thing really looks. The gray wall is just primer at the moment and just one coat lol Really can see how bad your wall and paint job is. Screen is going to end up being as much as the projector. So far watched some tv, blu-rays and played some xbox on it. Motion is great, didn't notice and input lag. I was going to pick up a beng w6000 or hc4000. But good deal on this and I'm happy with it. Looks alot better then what the reviews seam to make it. Now I got my friend on the preorder list for the JVC RS45 and I'm sure once I see the blacks on that I'm going to cry. But I think I'll like the shaper picture of the DLP better but we will see. The only thing I really don't like about it is how loud it is. Even my wife was like if this thing gets and louder like an xbox 360 were getting a difrent one lol. Once the movie starts I don't notice it any more even in quite sceens.

I have mine ceiling mounted, almost right above my head, and the only time I notice any noise, is when it's going in shutdown mode...and the fan kicks in.

I had mine on the same type of wall...even gray paint as well, for the first few weeks...and it's a world of difference once you get the screen. The colors and blacks are ten times better...and I only got a base 1.0 gain on a 92" motorized MTech screen....
post #3392 of 3967
Yea I'm looking at picking up the 120 inch screen from Monoprice with built in masking.
post #3393 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon2000 View Post

DLP projectors in general often do not require a cleaning schedule as there is no filter and the DMD chip is not in the air path like LCD often is. So cleaning is mainly to keep the bulb exterior clear to keep it cooling correctly. Though if you are not overzealous, basic cleaning doesn't really hurt. In Oregon dust is low. And I never cleaned my constantly open air HD70 for the 3 years I had it. And zero issues. I now live in dusty Arizona and I still haven't cleaned my HD20 which is almost 2 years old now. And I don't plan on cleaning it. If you are not a smoker, I would say you will be fine. And if you are a smoker, basic air cleaning won't really do you any good anyways as the film created would need more than air.

Glad to hear it and thanks xenon...knew I could normally get info from you

I don't smoke and there is very limited dust in the basement, a little humide in the summer months...but not to dusty. thanks again
post #3394 of 3967
Some of you guys just need to crank the sound up. I sit with the Projector about 1-2' away from my head, and I have never noticed any noise from it.
post #3395 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesVG81 View Post

It's ceiling mounted. I have the bulb on low with AI turned off. It's still pretty loud to me. It's at the top of a 8 foot ceiling. Like I said once the movie is going it doesn't bother me really. Can't wait to get my screen to go with this. Even though the screen will be as much as I paid for the projector lol

Check to make sure "High Altitude" is set to off.
post #3396 of 3967
Yea it's off.
post #3397 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesVG81 View Post

Yea it's off.

Ah. Well it was a thought. Someone on Amazon.com complained about how loud the HD20 was that he owned for about a year. He knocked a couple stars off of it for loudness. I mentioned the Brightness, and High Altitude setting to him, and it turns out that somehow the High Altitude got turned on by accident (or by default). Poor guy.

Anyways, it shouldn't be that loud without those on, but who knows... we all gauge these things differently I guess.
post #3398 of 3967
Yea if I knock up the brightness I can really hear it. I don't Turn my system up very loud. I'm not a I need the house to shake when I'm watching a movie kind of person.
post #3399 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesVG81 View Post

Yea it's off.

Well, if it's really running at low fan speed and it's not defective; then at least it's good you got the HD20 and not many other projectors. Many projectors are much louder. If it really is louder than your PS3 or 360, you may want to consider that it's possibly defective. As I have mentioned before, even if my HD20 is literally the only device on in the dead of night, I can hear it, but barely. Certainly not what I would call noisy. And if I turn on any sound at a quiet level, I don't notice the HD20.

I just thought of something else. The environment. Do you have carpet floors or a hard material? I have carpet. Curious if maybe some acoustic treatments might help reduce the noise.
post #3400 of 3967
Yea the room isn't finished all the way yet. Does have carpet but the sound in the room is pretty sharp at the moment. Nothing on the walls and no ceiling at the moment lol.
post #3401 of 3967
Hi Folks,
First post here, I have an Optoma HD200x which is starting to run into a few problems. The image is starting to appear blotchy even with the High Altitude setting turned on.
I have the projector since April 2010 and had to send it to Optoma in January 2011 due to the blue flickering issue. They responded that it was a build up of dust etc and this was causing the issue. Of course the lamp hours was reset in January and I believe it was about 1000 at the time and I have clocked up 1500 since then. It is not on the bright setting or high altitude so I do no think its a replacement bulb issue hopefully.
I am wondering could this be another dust issue, I do notice a slight flickering of the white box in the corner when source are changing so this leads me to believe that it could be dust causing the blotchyness. I was going to follow the instructions posted in this thread #post19956757 in relation to cleaning dust etc.

Does anyone have any opinions of what might be causing the issue or is the general consensus that its a dust thing?

Thanks for your help.
post #3402 of 3967
Hi,
I have a Optoma HD20 and bought a Sony Google TV Blu Ray player. When i play my Blurays on the Sony Goo TV player some of the Blurays play at 1080P 60hz and some on 1080P 24hz. The youtube and other application do play on 1080P 24hz. I do see a flickering on the movies that pay on 1080P 24 hz. Is this a limitation on the Bluray or the Sony player. Is there a way to convert the pictures to 60hz from 24hz. When there is a scene change i can also see that the screen getting brighter or duller after a couple of secs.

The Sony Google player is connected to the Bose Lifestyle V35 which is connected to the Optoma HD 20 projector. I just bought this projector only reason that we choose this player is that it comes with a full blown browser and also a blu ray player. HDMI cable is a 50 ft cable (Blurigger CFL rated)and according to the description on Amazon it supports upto 340Mhz or 10.2gbps. Suggest me how to improve the quality of the picture.
post #3403 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daaku View Post

Hi,
I have a Optoma HD20 and bought a Sony Google TV Blu Ray player. When i play my Blurays on the Sony Goo TV player some of the Blurays play at 1080P 60hz and some on 1080P 24hz. The youtube and other application do play on 1080P 24hz. I do see a flickering on the movies that pay on 1080P 24 hz. Is this a limitation on the Bluray or the Sony player. Is there a way to convert the pictures to 60hz from 24hz. When there is a scene change i can also see that the screen getting brighter or duller after a couple of secs.

The Sony Google player is connected to the Bose Lifestyle V35 which is connected to the Optoma HD 20 projector. I just bought this projector only reason that we choose this player is that it comes with a full blown browser and also a blu ray player. HDMI cable is a 50 ft cable (Blurigger CFL rated)and according to the description on Amazon it supports upto 340Mhz or 10.2gbps. Suggest me how to improve the quality of the picture.

Unless the player has frame interpolation options and some displays do, but the HD 20 does not; then the player will output what the BD disc is authored as. Most BD content is 1080 24p native. So your player would output that and the HD20 would display that output.

I personally have never seen any flicker or motion issues with 1080 24p from my PS3 to my HD20. Or any display or player I have used with BD discs.

As for the scene brightness changing, make sure that AI on the HD20 is turned off. Being on will cause the bulb to switch between low and high. I personally run my hd20 on a 125" White 1.0 gain screen with bulb on Low to help with black levels. I have tried an ND2 filter to cut brightness further, but after 5 mins my eyes adjust and it looks the same as without the filter. So...
post #3404 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daaku View Post

... I do see a flickering on the movies that pay on 1080P 24 hz. ...

I was just thinking. If you are used to watching content on a TV that has 120 or 240 hz with motion smoothing options. Then I could how see 24p might appear different. Also, I have noticed that in general, motion seems smoother on smaller displays vs huge projections. So maybe there are some perception differences as well. Not sure.

But overall I have been very happy with BD movies at the native 1080 24p on my HD20 @ 125".
post #3405 of 3967
My parents have a 120 hz television. Maybe I'm becoming something of a video snob, but I don't think I will ever appreciate interpolated scenes over standard film 24 fps.
post #3406 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon2000 View Post

I was just thinking. If you are used to watching content on a TV that has 120 or 240 hz with motion smoothing options. Then I could how see 24p might appear different. Also, I have noticed that in general, motion seems smoother on smaller displays vs huge projections. So maybe there are some perception differences as well. Not sure.

But overall I have been very happy with BD movies at the native 1080 24p on my HD20 @ 125".

This is my first projector so no idea what i should be expecting and also bought the projector on a close out sale from Sixth Ave so had my reservations. As pointed out i could be seeing a difference because i got used to seeing the BD on my Samsung LED with 240hz.
I will check the AI option. How do i check my firmware ver and also where can i find an update. Thanks
post #3407 of 3967
Good morning,

I've just received my brand new HD20 and found one issue on modifying User profile settings.
When i modify the predefined settings, watch a film and finally turn off the PJ, the next time i turn on the PJ all the changes i made are lost.
I reviewd all the post about the Optoma HD20 and some people say that all the changes made on the User profile should be saved for the next use but other people say that all the modifications are gone and you have to re-enter it again and again each time you turn on the projector.
The procedure i follow is turn off the projector and then unplug it from the wall after a few minutes. (I have to tested if the User profile settings are kept if i not unplug the ac cable from the wall)
Some expert could clarify it? (as i reminder, all the changes are made on the USER profile, not on the Cinema, Bright or whatever)

Thanks a lot for your help.

Cheers!!
post #3408 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

My parents have a 120 hz television. Maybe I'm becoming something of a video snob, but I don't think I will ever appreciate interpolated scenes over standard film 24 fps.

I agree. Everytime I see these "motion altering" technologies, they always feel unnatural and even a little sickening.
post #3409 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daaku View Post

This is my first projector so no idea what i should be expecting and also bought the projector on a close out sale from Sixth Ave so had my reservations. As pointed out i could be seeing a difference because i got used to seeing the BD on my Samsung LED with 240hz.
I will check the AI option. How do i check my firmware ver and also where can i find an update. Thanks

It's probably going from 240hz with motion altering technologies, to a native display and having it huge with projection and a dark room likely amplify the difference for you.

You have to ship the unit to Optoma for firmware updates. Lame I know. But sadly that is how they do it.

Sorry I am not in front of my HD20 to walk you to the firmware version. The manual will help if you can't find it during browsing.
post #3410 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by _parodius_ View Post

Good morning,

I've just received my brand new HD20 and found one issue on modifying User profile settings.
When i modify the predefined settings, watch a film and finally turn off the PJ, the next time i turn on the PJ all the changes i made are lost.
I reviewd all the post about the Optoma HD20 and some people say that all the changes made on the User profile should be saved for the next use but other people say that all the modifications are gone and you have to re-enter it again and again each time you turn on the projector.
The procedure i follow is turn off the projector and then unplug it from the wall after a few minutes. (I have to tested if the User profile settings are kept if i not unplug the ac cable from the wall)
Some expert could clarify it? (as i reminder, all the changes are made on the USER profile, not on the Cinema, Bright or whatever)

Thanks a lot for your help.

Cheers!!

You mentioned you also tested when not unplugging it from the wall, but didn't say what those results were. If the user settings are lost when you don't unplug from the wall, you likely need a firmware update. Which requires it to be shipped to Optoma. Mine is plugged in all the time, and my User settings are always there when I soft power on/off. I haven't tested with unplugging the power after I turn it off and wait for it to cool down.
post #3411 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon2000 View Post

You mentioned you also tested when not unplugging it from the wall, but didn't say what those results were. If the user settings are lost when you don't unplug from the wall, you likely need a firmware update. Which requires it to be shipped to Optoma. Mine is plugged in all the time, and my User settings are always there when I soft power on/off. I haven't tested with unplugging the power after I turn it off and wait for it to cool down.

Thanks a lot for your reply!
Sorry, it was a typo.. i mean that i hadn't tested if the settings are kept with the PJ plugged...
Will try to perform that test and come back with the result, in the meantime if somebody else could give us more light about the issue will be welcome.

Cheers!
post #3412 of 3967
Why in the darkest pits of Tartarus are you unplugging it?
post #3413 of 3967
Why not? My electric provider is getting enough money from me....
post #3414 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by _parodius_ View Post

Why not? My electric provider is getting enough money from me....

FYI, standby power usage is under 1 Watt. Do you also unplug your TVs? They likely use the same or more.

Not saying there is anything wrong with doing that. maybe there is maybe not. But there may also be little return to your power bill for doing so.
post #3415 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon2000 View Post

FYI, standby power usage is under 1 Watt. Do you also unplug your TVs? They likely use the same or more.

Not saying there is anything wrong with doing that. maybe there is maybe not. But there may also be little return to your power bill for doing so.

You're right, just joking because i was little bit surprised for that question
I spend a lot of time far from home travelling and of course i unplug all the electrical devices before leaving (don't want that a sudden storm or a power outage turns all my tech stuff in a piece of crap).

Cheers!
post #3416 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by _parodius_ View Post

Thanks a lot for your reply!
Sorry, it was a typo.. i mean that i hadn't tested if the settings are kept with the PJ plugged...
Will try to perform that test and come back with the result, in the meantime if somebody else could give us more light about the issue will be welcome.

Cheers!

It seems to remember my user settings. I switch off the projector and also turn off the power supply to the power outlet as well.
post #3417 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daaku View Post

It seems to remember my user settings. I switch off the projector and also turn off the power supply to the power outlet as well.

Thanks for your reply!.

Good news guys, the problem has gone...magically...
After coming back home from work, i tried to see if the settings were kept unplugging the PJ from the wall and they were kept. I tried again without unpluggin and they were kept also...
The issue has turned into a mistery. Do you guys know if the PJ has any kind of little battery that is charged after few hours of operation to keep the settings on the memory like computers (i mean as the little cell that keeps time and date in BIOS)?
I don't like when problems disappear without explanation, it means that they can come back the same way....

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers!
post #3418 of 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by _parodius_ View Post

Thanks for your reply!.

Good news guys, the problem has gone...magically...
After coming back home from work, i tried to see if the settings were kept unplugging the PJ from the wall and they were kept. I tried again without unpluggin and they were kept also...
The issue has turned into a mistery. Do you guys know if the PJ has any kind of little battery that is charged after few hours of operation to keep the settings on the memory like computers (i mean as the little cell that keeps time and date in BIOS)?
I don't like when problems disappear without explanation, it means that they can come back the same way....

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers!

I don't know, but I am pretty sure there is no battery in the unit. There may be a large capacitor, which you could test by leaving unplugged overnight.

But I still think the best is to leave it plugged in. As for storms and unplugging it while traveling, I highly recommend a quality surge protector. I use a hospital grade one-time blow surge outlet. It will sound an audible alarm when it's tripped and the outlet will stay dead until you bypass it. Since it is one-time only, once it's tripped if you choose to do the bypass there is no more protection and the indicator light will not be lit. It's pretty cool. It was $30 for just the outlet. But it's clean on my ceiling and I haven't had a surge yet.

In my last setup, I had the power routed to a closet and used a battery backup with surge protection and power filtering to power the projector. Was nice so that when there was a power outage, I could shut down the projector properly.

But of course the best protection is unplugging. Just not practical for myself.
post #3419 of 3967
I agree Xenon, I also thought about having an UPS together with the PJ as i also have with my computer.
One more "box" kicking around xD

Cheers!
post #3420 of 3967
Great group here...
I bought my HD20 from Best Buy on no % credit deal for $1200 or something after everything.. Have been very happy with it..
I liked it so much, when I moved over here temp in GTMO, I bought another one on Ebay for $550 ;-) Took a chance... and happy I did.

Having problems with this one when using Composite In for Cable TV..After 15-20min, the projector just powers completely off. No fan/no lights. Unplugging resolves this... but this can't go on. When this happens, It's not cooling the bulb down like it needs to.
Has oneone heard of this? How do I check the firmware?
(I don't have OVERPRICE proprietary remote. Would have to do it through buttons on unit. I have it set to turn off at signal timeout. I also have AI on.)

Has ANYONE heard of a leaked firmware? I'm sure a HD20x would work. I can't believe that hasn't happened by now. Seems Optima dropped the ball on supporting HD20. I remember hearing talk about firmware 3D capabilities. Maybe it was Optima to push their inventory before newer models release. Surprised no one has successfully connected a USB and investigated what is pulled.

What is the most current Firmware?

Thanks..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › *Official* Optoma HD20 Thread