or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › 2 Channel Audio › Best Budget Receiver with Optical input
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Budget Receiver with Optical input

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Hey guys,

Can anyone suggest a good stereo receiver that has an optical input? I've been looking at Sony's but the only model I know that has one is the str-dh100. Does Sony make cheaper ones? Is there a better receiver not made by Sony in the cheaper price range <$150?

Thanks
post #2 of 16
I think in the sub-$200 market, Sony is going to give you the best bang for the buck. I have one, and though it isn't a bit "wow" item, as you might expect, it is competent. Low noise, easy remote, and so on. You can do a lot worse.
post #3 of 16
Quote:


Can anyone suggest a good stereo receiver that has an optical input? I've been looking at Sony's but the only model I know that has one is the str-dh100.

Are you sure about this? The spec list I saw for it (at Crutchfield) did not list one.

Look at basic A/V receivers, which can be used in 2-channel mode, of course. Maybe an Onkyo refurb.
post #4 of 16
Just curious. Why do you want an optical input on a budget stereo receiver?
post #5 of 16
same question, Optical generally carries surround formats. If you only want stereo why not use some quality RCA cables?

Sherwood makes a pretty decent stereo amp for like $100, no Optical though. But it does have 5 pairs of RCA inputs and a couple pairs of RCA outputs, and a remote or buttons on the amp to select which input you want. It has low distortion ratings for its max power, and its max power is like 100w per channel or soemthing. But again, no Optical. I guess if you really want Optical, the Sony you saw would probably be best. Or a refurbished Onkyo.
post #6 of 16
You can get a re-manufactured Harman Kardon AVR-146 for around $200 at:

http://www.harmanaudio.com/


Enigma's suggestion on the Sherwood is a good one...if you can live without optical, the RX-4109 can be had for half the price.
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Just curious. Why do you want an optical input on a budget stereo receiver?

I have a 42" panasonic plasma (p42x1) and I'm not looking for surround sound. I just use it for simply watching tv and I don't watch a lot of movies.

The tv only has an optical out, and I don't want to pay another $60-$70 for a digital to analog conversion piece. Although the more research I do, I wonder if just getting a decent receiver and getting the conversion unit.
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
I should also mention that a digital coax connection would work as well.
post #9 of 16
I think you could get the 5-channel version of the Sony you mentioned for close to your price. Check J&R, for starters.
post #10 of 16
The HK 3490 stereo receiver has both optical and digital inputs.
post #11 of 16
lol, optical is digital I think you mean optical and coax? Dont worry, I do that a lot too.
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENiGmA1987 View Post

lol, optical is digital I think you mean optical and coax? Dont worry, I do that a lot too.

Heh, yes, I have said the same thing as well
post #13 of 16
Are you using a Cable Box? If so that should have analog outs you could use.
post #14 of 16
[BUMP] i'm looking for the same thing.

my father's new TV (2010 panasonic x24) only has an optical out and he only needs 2 channels.

the setup would be that the HDMIs from the dvdplayer and cablebox go to the TV and the optical audio goes to the receiver hopefully enabling audio to play thru both the TV and receiver speakers.

an alternative would be that i run HDMIs from the dvdplayer and cablebox to a receiver that would output HDMI to the TV. however, i've been told that not all receivers pass thru audio to the TV and i'm not sure it would fit my father's budget of ~$150.

and help and references would be greatly appreciated.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipp View Post

[BUMP] i'm looking for the same thing.

my father's new TV (2010 panasonic x24) only has an optical out and he only needs 2 channels.

the setup would be that the HDMIs from the dvdplayer and cablebox go to the TV and the optical audio goes to the receiver hopefully enabling audio to play thru both the TV and receiver speakers.

an alternative would be that i run HDMIs from the dvdplayer and cablebox to a receiver that would output HDMI to the TV. however, i've been told that not all receivers pass thru audio to the TV and i'm not sure it would fit my father's budget of ~$150.

and help and references would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe you don't need to get a budget receiver for that. You could look into a converter like this one:
http://www.hdtvsupply.com/digital-to...converter.html
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendy View Post

The HK 3490 stereo receiver has both optical and digital inputs.

This is a great receiver and Stereo Dave can MOD it.

My guess is that you have something like and Airport Express and you want to stream music from something like iTunes or iPod Touch?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 2 Channel Audio
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › 2 Channel Audio › Best Budget Receiver with Optical input