or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Denon DBP-1610 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon DBP-1610 Owner's Thread - Page 3

post #61 of 90
thanx for the tip! guess i`ll be heading out to wal-mart since all i own are pro-duo sticks.
post #62 of 90
I've looked EVERYWHERE and can't find an answer to this;

Does the Denon BDP-1610 play back from where it left off (resume) after being put in Standby during playback or pause of a BD???

And... Does it have discreet on/off power??


I had a Denon DVD-2910 that croaked and I figured getting a BRP was the right
thing to do, so I bought a Panasonic BD-60, CHEAP. It's pretty nice (although slow) and it DOES RESUME, but
has no discrete power buttons, causing me to use a workaround to have an "all-off" button.

I'm willing to spend more than double what I paid for the BD-60 to get the
Denon so that I have the discrete power feature back (and much higher quality) and it matches my AVR-3808CI too!
(Plus it will put my TiVo Series 3 back up 4" higher where it belongs!)

Someone please give me a definitive answer... Even the owner's manual doesn't!
post #63 of 90
Hi, just purchased the Denon DBP-1610 at the weekend and I am very happy.
Quick question though; the DEEP COLOR option in the setup is greyed out. Can someone tell me why that is? I am connected to my DENON AVR 1910 and then outputting to a SONY KDLW2000 40inch. I thought my HDMI (QED Reference) was 1.3 compliant?

Regards,

Dean, UK
post #64 of 90
Hi,
As some of you, I bought a Denon DBP-1610 to work together with a video processor (option not to upconvert), since I already had a PS3. I am still waiting for my processor to be delivered, but have already played sobe BD discs in the new Denon. Apart from the speed to read the disk (I know, the PS3 is the best BD player at least in this area) I was happy with my Denon till yesterday. I tried to play a KD Lang - Live in London in my Denon and the image behaved as some frames were missing (although the HD sound was normal, the image was not continuous). Tested it in my PS3 and everything worked perfectly. Does anybody know what kind of problem this may be?
Thank you!
post #65 of 90
Hi, I'm new here.
Two months ago while I was tripping I bought a Denon DBP 1610.
The seller told me that it plays region A BD and regions 1 and 4 DVDs (my contry is region 4).
It was working perfectly, but yesterday i plugged it in my router and made a update in this firmware.
When the update finished appeared in my TV the word UNOFFICIAL and the BD displays freezed showing TEST F/W.
I didn't do nothing wrong, only updated the software using the setup mode of the BD player exactly as described in the user's manual.
It still plays BD and DVD but it's display don't work properly.
I'm using Denon products for years, including receivers, turntables and cartdriges and it's the first time it happens to me.
Anybody can help me to solve this problem?
post #66 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf1219 View Post

Hi, I'm new here.
Two months ago while I was tripping I bought a Denon DBP 1610.
The seller told me that it plays region A BD and regions 1 and 4 DVDs (my contry is region 4).
It was working perfectly, but yesterday i plugged it in my router and made a update in this firmware.
When the update finished appeared in my TV the word UNOFFICIAL and the BD displays freezed showing TEST F/W.
I didn't do nothing wrong, only updated the software using the setup mode of the BD player exactly as described in the user's manual.
It still plays BD and DVD but it's display don't work properly.
I'm using Denon products for years, including receivers, turntables and cartdriges and it's the first time it happens to me.
Anybody can help me to solve this problem?


Well, you have discovered something that very many others also have experienced. You cant update as long as you have regionfree, or this issue will show up.
My advice is that you take it back to the dealer if you dont want this to show up in your display.
It is very annoying that Denon still havent fixed this issue, everybody should be able to download firmware imo...
post #67 of 90
Check for an update. I am updating mine now. I don't think it just came out, but it has been within the last month, maybe 2 since I last checked.

Edit: going by the Denon 2010 thread, looks like it came out 7/7. I know it let's Kick Ass load now. Firmware 1.012 I think it was.
post #68 of 90
I was looking at getting a Denon DBP-1610 to go with my AVR-1611, but it seems like this is a pretty inadequate Blue Ray Player for the cost?

I have a Samsung 46" LCD (750 Series) and Just ordered the AVR1611. I currently have a 360 hooked up for gaming, DVD Play and Netflix. I am partial to Denon. I will say their Blue Ray player looks sexy as hell. But I don't want to spend even $268 if it is a sub-par player. Any other feedback? I keep hearing how the DBP-1611 is coming out soon, but I doubt I will want to pay the initial asking price.

I really don't need Netflix since I have the Xbox. I don't need DVD capability but it would be nice to take some stress off of the Heatbox (360).

TIA
post #69 of 90
milehighassassin,

I purchased this a while ago to go with my AVR-3310, and it is an adequate player. But frankly, compared to other players I find the price vs performance just isn't there.

I just recently purchased a samsung bd-c6500 for much less and was a little saddened by how good it was compared to the Denon. If I were to do it again, I don't think I would by this player for any price.
post #70 of 90
Bill

Thanks. Kind of what I figured. I am leaning towards an LG BD570(?)

It seems like a steal right now. I will consider the Samsung as well since my television is a Samsung.

Too bad the Denon doesn't seem to stack up in the blue ray market. Their receivers seem like a steal.
post #71 of 90
While I agree that the 1610 isn't overly impressive in any way, it's also one of the only options out there that will do "source direct" for around $200 at the moment.

I picked up both the Denon 1610 and Pioneer 320 on closeout at Best Buy because they both had source direct for processing of SD DVD (480i) by the ABT chip in my Denon AVR.

Still trying to decide which player to keep at the moment...they're both SLOW as molasses in almost every respect.
post #72 of 90
What is source direct?
post #73 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighassassin View Post

What is source direct?

Allows for sending out the unaltered/original resolution on the disc (i.e 480i on SD DVD) for upscaling and deinterlacing by an outboard video processor (or capable receiver). Few players have this feature anymore, meaning they will deinterlace the material for you, and often, quite poorly.
post #74 of 90
I have an opportunity to buy a 1610 or the DVD1800BD for $150. I have a PS3 hooked thru a 3808ci. Would either one of these be a noticeable improvement over the PS3?
post #75 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzenheimer View Post
I have an opportunity to buy a 1610 or the DVD1800BD for $150. I have a PS3 hooked thru a 3808ci. Would either one of these be a noticeable improvement over the PS3?
No on both players. The only benefit you would get from the 1610 is "Source Direct" for DVD upconversion. See jkozlow3's post just above yours for an explanation of this feature.

Mike T
post #76 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-tee View Post
No on both players. The only benefit you would get from the 1610 is "Source Direct" for DVD upconversion. See jkozlow3's post just above yours for an explanation of this feature.

Mike T
Not quite... You forgot the "remote factor". PS3 requires a separate BT remote, where the Denon works with your one, familiar URC.

ALSO... The PS3 DOES NOT recognize DTS HD or DTS Master HD,. It only passes them as DTS.

For me, two great reasons to have an REAL BR player.
post #77 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchPotato69 View Post
Not quite... You forgot the "remote factor". PS3 requires a separate BT remote, where the Denon works with your one, familiar URC.

ALSO... The PS3 DOES NOT recognize DTS HD or DTS Master HD,. It only passes them as DTS.

For me, two great reasons to have an REAL BR player.
OK, but do not use the 1610 for SD DVD upconversion. You could put it in source direct mode and let the display upconvert, but the 1610 does a TERRIBLE job by itself. Worse than any other player I tried in a mini-shootout. If you are not planning on using/don't need the source direct feature, a new Panasonic would be a much better bet for the same $150.
post #78 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchPotato69 View Post

Not quite... You forgot the "remote factor". PS3 requires a separate BT remote, where the Denon works with your one, familiar URC.

ALSO... The PS3 DOES NOT recognize DTS HD or DTS Master HD,. It only passes them as DTS.

For me, two great reasons to have an REAL BR player.

My understanding is that the PS3 cannot bitstream DTS-MA, however it can decode it and send it as PCM. So, while the OP won't be able to see DTS-MA "light up" on his/her 3808, it will still result in lossless audio.

As for the remote, IMO, I don't see this as a compelling enough reason to buy a 1610. Unless the OP wants to match it up to the Denon 3808.

Mike T
post #79 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-tee View Post


My understanding is that the PS3 cannot bitstream DTS-MA, however it can decode it and send it as PCM. So, while the OP won't be able to see DTS-MA "light up" on his/her 3808, it will still result in lossless audio.

As for the remote, IMO, I don't see this as a compelling enough reason to buy a 1610. Unless the OP wants to match it up to the Denon 3808.

Mike T

No, I'm not interested in matching it up at all. Just wondered whether I could improve upon what I have with the PS3. I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to pass on both.
post #80 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-tee View Post

My understanding is that the PS3 cannot bitstream DTS-MA, however it can decode it and send it as PCM. So, while the OP won't be able to see DTS-MA "light up" on his/her 3808, it will still result in lossless audio.

As for the remote, IMO, I don't see this as a compelling enough reason to buy a 1610. Unless the OP wants to match it up to the Denon 3808.

Mike T

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzenheimer View Post

No, I'm not interested in matching it up at all. Just wondered whether I could improve upon what I have with the PS3. I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to pass on both.

A wise decision at this point, considering that non-3D BR P's are obsolete.
post #81 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchPotato69 View Post


A wise decision at this point, considering that non-3D BR P's are obsolete.

I can't see that I'll ever have an interest in 3D....
post #82 of 90
I just picked one up on close out at magnolia - they let me have it for $134.00.
  • It matches my denon AVR-2106
  • I can use my existing denon controller for everything on it
  • It has beautiful component quality out - and the 1080i component output is the best quality my monitor can do (and I really don't want to upgrade it) - it actually looks better than the 720p, which every other players output looks the best for my TV. so this part is a major keeper for me. The picture quality is just stunning.
  • $134 for a denon blu-ray was right on the money for my budget

I am guessing it won't upconvert on component dvd, but with sd output I think I'm covered.

Was this a stupid purchase this late in the game?

I have a hard time thinking about replacing my component only denon avr without having the serious dough I would need for a comparable or better hdmi unit - and I will need to get the 1080p hdmi monitor too, to take advantage of it all.
post #83 of 90
Sorry wrong thread
post #84 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozer19 View Post

I was not able to find an answer to my below question. Any help is appreciated:

My Denon 1610 stopped showing picture. I can hear the sound, but no picture. I have rules out the cable, the cable box, Blu Ray, TV etc. It is definitely caused by the AVR.

I know that there was a electric surge happened. It stopped working after this. What may be broken? Can I fix it myself instead of sending to a repair shop? Thanks in advance.

Are you looking for help with a Denon AVR-1610, or a Denon DBP-1610? This thread is for the DBP-1610 BD player. If you are looking for help with your AVR, here is the forum link:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1153086

Mike T
post #85 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-tee View Post

Are you looking for help with a Denon AVR-1610, or a Denon DBP-1610? This thread is for the DBP-1610 BD player. If you are looking for help with your AVR, here is the forum link:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1153086

Mike T

Oops, my apologies on the wrong thread.
post #86 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_C View Post

I just picked one up on close out at magnolia - they let me have it for $134.00.
  • It matches my denon AVR-2106
  • I can use my existing denon controller for everything on it
  • It has beautiful component quality out - and the 1080i component output is the best quality my monitor can do (and I really don't want to upgrade it) - it actually looks better than the 720p, which every other players output looks the best for my TV. so this part is a major keeper for me. The picture quality is just stunning.
  • $134 for a denon blu-ray was right on the money for my budget

I am guessing it won't upconvert on component dvd, but with sd output I think I'm covered.

Was this a stupid purchase this late in the game?

I have a hard time thinking about replacing my component only denon avr without having the serious dough I would need for a comparable or better hdmi unit - and I will need to get the 1080p hdmi monitor too, to take advantage of it all.

I got dbp-1610 as free (?) bonus for US$620 avr-1911.
Cannot complaint much except it's not universal player like my old dvd-1920.
Cannot play dvd-audio and sacd, so have to keep my old dvd-1920.
post #87 of 90
Hi all. Im having an issue with 1610 at the moment. The thing is that when i set the HDMI output to 1080p/24 and play the BD, it works fine and the projector (im using Vivitek H1080FD) display it as 1080p/24.....but when i turn off the 1610 and turn it on back again, the HDMI setting is set to AUTO, which if i play BD, my projector display it as 1080p/60. Only if i set the HDMI output as SOURCE DIRECT, it will stay at it is when i turn on the set the next time. As so, my SD DVD will only be displayed in its native resolution....what seems to be the problem? Thanks.
post #88 of 90
Anyone care to answer my questions...thanks.
post #89 of 90
Is the $399 price set in stone for a wile ?
I love Denon and all the features this has but Im not sure it is worth the cash as I have a Sony BDP-370 that I only paid $99 for
post #90 of 90
I bought a region free U2 concert on Blu ray. When I load it into my 1610, I get the menu with sound and picture. When I go to play, I get sound, but the dreaded blue screen of death. No video. I have downloaded the latest updates. I can take it to my little cheap o home theater in a box bedroom system (RCA) and everything works fine. I'm at a loss here why the Denon won't read the picture. Any help?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Denon DBP-1610 Owner's Thread