or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Remote Control Area › Official Logitech Harmony 900 thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Logitech Harmony 900 thread - Page 89

post #2641 of 2789
oh man this just got even more complicated lol. I know this is the 900 thread but what would be needed for RF with the 890? I'm also guessing the RF module will need to be plugged in. For right now, I just need to know how many outlets and switches I need and where to place them so I don't have cords all over the place.

http://www.smarthome.com/59501/Smarthome-Hidden-IR-Repeater-System/p.aspx

http://www.smarthome.com/81221K/Xantech-DL85K-Plasma-LCD-LED-CFL-Proof-Designer-Dinky-Link-IR-Receiver-Kit/p.aspx

http://www.smarthome.com/8045I/NextGen-IR-to-RF-to-IR-Remote-Control-Range-Extender-Kit-433-MHz/p.aspx

Would either of these work for getting an RF signal?
post #2642 of 2789
You don't need any of that stuff. The 890 comes with its own RF system. All you need for your lights is the one device you linked earlier. It takes IR from a single point and sends commands to all your lights over your power lines.
post #2643 of 2789
Would that same device work for Lutron Dimmer switches as well?
post #2644 of 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

Would that same device work for Lutron Dimmer switches as well?
I have no idea. If Lutron can talk X10 powerline protocol, then yes, otherwise no. IIRC, Lutron does it's own thing and has a different IR gateway device, but don't quote me on that. You might get better answers in the Home Automation forum. Not sure I'd be willing to spend another $100 or more to interface with 2 different lighting systems personally. Better to pick a single system IMO.

My personal opinion is this is a bad idea. X10 powerline protocol sucks. It's outdated, limited and unreliable. If I were getting something that worked with the 890, I'd go z-wave and be done with it. No extra interfaces or powerline nonsense to deal with. If money is no object you have a lot more options.
post #2645 of 2789
I sold my One to friend a couple days ago. He couldn't get into Logitech to program it. He called support and was told they had "killed" the One and you could no longer program it. They are sending him a Touch as a replacement. Terrible move by Logitech. Has anyone heard anything about the 900? I have one that I haven't programmed yet because I'm waiting on my new receiver.
post #2646 of 2789
I'd love to buy that dead remote from your friend. And I'd love to get a support person from Logitech that will give me a brand new remote to replace I used one I bought second hand. Your One hadn't already been replaced under warranty before had it?

To answer your question though, the 900 is just as dead as the One, meaning both are no longer made but should be programmable for the near future.
post #2647 of 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I'd love to buy that dead remote from your friend. And I'd love to get a support person from Logitech that will give me a brand new remote to replace I used one I bought second hand. Your One hadn't already been replaced under warranty before had it?

To answer your question though, the 900 is just as dead as the One, meaning both are no longer made but should be programmable for the near future.

My One had never been replaced before. And he couldn't program it all. Logitech is no longer supporting it according to the rep he talked too. Which would make sense because he couldn't program it when he tried. So will the 900 programming be "killed" also?
post #2648 of 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

My One had never been replaced before. And he couldn't program it all. Logitech is no longer supporting it according to the rep he talked too. Which would make sense because he couldn't program it when he tried. So will the 900 programming be "killed" also?
I'd take the word of the CEO over that support rep. That they would single out the One to "kill" doesn't even make logical sense. You can still program harmony remotes that were discontinued 10 years ago as well as every model in between. There is no way they're suddenly going to disable millions of Ones on a whim. That rep is simply ill-informed and incompetent. Par for the course.

Here's my guess. Your friend tried to use myharmony.com which simply won't work on many Ones. He just needs to download the standalone software and create a login, and it will work fine. Heck, if he's your friend, just give him your login, and he won't even need to create an account.
post #2649 of 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I'd take the word of the CEO over that support rep. That they would single out the One to "kill" doesn't even make logical sense. You can still program harmony remotes that were discontinued 10 years ago as well as every model in between. There is no way they're suddenly going to disable millions of Ones on a whim. That rep is simply ill-informed and incompetent. Par for the course.

Here's my guess. Your friend tried to use myharmony.com which simply won't work on many Ones. He just needs to download the standalone software and create a login, and it will work fine. Heck, if he's your friend, just give him your login, and he won't even need to create an account.

I agree that the reps are incompetent.smile.gif I'm sure Logitech would be pleased to know reps are giving out remotes for free. Solid business plan.wink.gif

I never thot of giving him my login. Good idea. I also wonder if he'd sell it back to me to use in bedroom. Think ill have to ask.
post #2650 of 2789
I talked to him again and got clarification. He requested a new battery. They said they were no longer providing support materials for the One. So they replaced it with a Touch and "killed" his only. Not at all what I understood from the first conversation. Sorry.
post #2651 of 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine24-7 View Post

I talked to him again and got clarification. He requested a new battery. They said they were no longer providing support materials for the One. So they replaced it with a Touch and "killed" his only. Not at all what I understood from the first conversation. Sorry.
That makes perfect sense. They typically disable any remote replaced under warranty. The remote will continue to work indefinitely, but can never be programmed again. It usually takes a couple of weeks before the door is closed.

However, you have at least discovered an easy way to get a brand new remote. Not a bad deal at all.
post #2652 of 2789
I'm about 10 years in on Harmony remotes, zero problems along the way, but have now run into an issue that puzzles me.

I've got a 3 month old 900. Love it. I've been tweaking the programming a little bit (adding buttons and fiddling with the usual stuff) and now when I power up for one activity, other devices are coming on and input settings are getting scrambled. It is a repeating behavior and annoying, of course.

When I look into the closet where the equipment lives, and trigger the remote, I can see that initially things power up and are all set properly ... but then, two or three seconds later, additional devices power on, and finally the HDMI input setting gets changed. It's as if my two activities (and I've only got two, watch the Satellite or watch / stream from the BluRay player) have gotten blended in the programming. When I go to the Harmony software, it all looks exactly like it is supposed to. I suppose the 900 could be faulty, but that just seems unlikely to me. For one thing, the errors aren't random. They are precise and repeating. I feel like I must be missing something.

The two activities aren't very different. In Satellite mode, the BluRay sleeps and the AVR is set to one HDMI input. In BluRay mode, the Satellite sleeps and the AVR is set to another HDMI input.

What I am seeing is that when I start up everything by selecting Watch Satellite, everything lights up properly and the correct HDMI input is selected. But then the remote doesn't leave well enough alone, and a couple of seconds pass, and then the Blu Ray player gets powered on and then the AVR HDMI input is switched.

I assume there is some kind of factory reset option I can use and then try to just reprogram the 900 entirely from the start using the Harmony software (which upon detailed inspection looks like everything is set just right). First I'd probably wipe the Harmony software off my computer and then reinstall and update it fully, just to address any possible errors that might have got injected there somehow.

Anyway, I have this feeling that I'm just missing something. If one of you sees something on these facts and you have an Ah Ha, moment, please let me know.

Thanks.
post #2653 of 2789
Any chance that you have turned on HDMI control in the AVR or TV? This feature causes the power on of the primary device to turn on other devices, and has nothing to do with the remote.
post #2654 of 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post

Any chance that you have turned on HDMI control in the AVR or TV? This feature causes the power on of the primary device to turn on other devices, and has nothing to do with the remote.

Right, good call, but no that appears clean. Will go check it again to be sure, but I think that isn't my issue.

What I also need to do is stare more closely at the Harmony when the spurious changes are happening, to confirm whether it is still displaying the little RF flash signal when the unwanted changes occur. I have been so busy staring in horror into the closet to be certain, but I *think* the remote has been staying active throughout the unwanted power ups and input changes.
Edited by mogrub - 4/30/13 at 9:42am
post #2655 of 2789
High five to BPlayer!

I went back and double-checked again and yup, Control by HDMI had been triggered to On in the VSX-1120. It's buried in the menu settings so how / when that got tripped will remain a mystery. But the consistency and repeatability of the error was consistent with that, so nice call and thanks for making me check again.

Adding to the confusion was that my 900 continues to display the "Turning Stuff On" animation for several seconds after the actual turn-on sequence is complete. It made it appear as though the 900 was still sending signals and was the culprit, as I peered into the closet and saw stuff happening that I didn't want to happen.

Even happier than me will be the wife, who will now be able to watch TV again even when I'm not home. Re-jiggering input settings is not exactly in her wheelhouse. biggrin.gif
post #2656 of 2789
Hey guys,

I just purchased the 900 and it arrived today. I've never owned a harmony remote and was very disappointed to find out that mine did not include the RF blaster/extender. Obviously the "deal" I got on eBay was too good to be true. Anyway, that's my fault. I assume I can buy the RF kit by itself.

Couple quick questions:

1. Does it have to be a kit that is specifically made for the 900?

2. If so, do they still sell these at local stores?

3. If not, any recommendation for what I should use?
post #2657 of 2789
1. Yes

2. Possibly. Can also be purchased directly from Logitech (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/6228?crid=1052)

ps. You should familiarize yourself with the internet and the extensive information available via search functions.
post #2658 of 2789
1. Thanks

2. I checked online and couldn't find what I was looking for at best buy or fry's. So I was simply wondering if any of you guys knew if they were still selling in stores...if I could just drop in and grab it or if I had order online and wait for delivery.

P.S. What is the Internet?
post #2659 of 2789
I believe the correct term is "internets" or "interwebs". It is a series of tubes.

But seriously, I've never seen any harmony RF stuff in local stores. So online is your best bet.
post #2660 of 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp McNealy View Post

1. Thanks

2. I checked online and couldn't find what I was looking for at best buy or fry's. So I was simply wondering if any of you guys knew if they were still selling in stores...if I could just drop in and grab it or if I had order online and wait for delivery.

P.S. What is the Internet?

See this link for parts for the 900
post #2661 of 2789
Apologies if this has been asked already, but the search terms I can come up with are just too general...

Just acquired a 900, trying to set it up to work with an ONN brand TV (model LG-22G90), which apparently is a Wal-Mart brand made by some unknown Chinese manufacturer. When I plug in the model number, the Harmony software selects another model for me that has a projector icon(??), so it may be selecting entirely the wrong unit.

I don't have the original remote for this TV, and I'm wondering if there's some way to make the 900 step through command sets, like you do with a standard "universal" remote that doesn't have codes listed in its booklet, until you find the right ones?

Either that, or maybe someone has this same TV or a similar one, that knows what model number I can plug in to work with it?

UPDATE: Okay, I found the TV type: it's made by Seiki, model LE-22G90.

Now on a related note: anyone know how can I direct-enter a digital channel number? This is probably more a question about the TV, but figured I'd ask... like if I want to tune channel 2-1, entering "2" just tries to tune the analog channel 2.
Edited by Soundy106 - 5/11/13 at 2:13am
post #2662 of 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy106 View Post

Apologies if this has been asked already, but the search terms I can come up with are just too general...

Just acquired a 900, trying to set it up to work with an ONN brand TV (model LG-22G90), which apparently is a Wal-Mart brand made by some unknown Chinese manufacturer. When I plug in the model number, the Harmony software selects another model for me that has a projector icon(??), so it may be selecting entirely the wrong unit.

I don't have the original remote for this TV, and I'm wondering if there's some way to make the 900 step through command sets, like you do with a standard "universal" remote that doesn't have codes listed in its booklet, until you find the right ones?

Either that, or maybe someone has this same TV or a similar one, that knows what model number I can plug in to work with it?

UPDATE: Okay, I found the TV type: it's made by Seiki, model LE-22G90.

Now on a related note: anyone know how can I direct-enter a digital channel number? This is probably more a question about the TV, but figured I'd ask... like if I want to tune channel 2-1, entering "2" just tries to tune the analog channel 2.

Program the "plus" button on the bottom left of the remote to be the "dash" button. That's what I did.
post #2663 of 2789
I am looking for an alternative to this "Infrared Plug Adapter Wireless IR Remote Converter" http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Infrared-Adapter-Wireless-Converter/dp/B002FJD1LY/ref=pd_cp_e_0

I want to use this with my harmony remote for the light to turn it on and off via my remote. Does anyone know any alternatives to this? I read that that product above has exploded and things like that, I am not willing to take that risk with my house catching on fire because of some product that is poorly made like that. An alternative would be nice because I like the idea of that. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.
post #2664 of 2789
What is the best way to boost the RF signal from the remote? I have in-wall wiring from my bedroom TV to the AV equipment in the living room cabinet, but it seems it's just at the limit of the RF remote distance. Signal dropped about 25 percent of the time. It's not all that far away, perhaps 35 feet or so, and a couple of walls. Any suggestions?
post #2665 of 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltdownblitz View Post

I want to use ... my harmony remote for the light to turn it on and off via my remote. Does anyone know any alternatives to this? .

Yes, Lutron for example makes a dimmer switch called the Maestro. I installed one last week that the 900 controls flawlessly. Google Lutron Maestro if that's a fit for you. That won't help if your only option is to control a plug in lamp of some kind, but if there is any kind of light in that room controlled by a wall switch, then the Maestro might be a good non-exploding fit for you.
post #2666 of 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post

Yes, Lutron for example makes a dimmer switch called the Maestro. I installed one last week that the 900 controls flawlessly. Google Lutron Maestro if that's a fit for you. That won't help if your only option is to control a plug in lamp of some kind, but if there is any kind of light in that room controlled by a wall switch, then the Maestro might be a good non-exploding fit for you.
Don't forget, one could have plugs that are swtich controlled.
post #2667 of 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltzonice View Post

What is the best way to boost the RF signal from the remote?... It's not all that far away, perhaps 35 feet or so, and a couple of walls. Any suggestions?

I would expect that to be in range. You mention 25% of commands need to be repeated. Is that will all components? Some components? Some components more than others? Does it always work flawlessly for everything if you are just a bit closer?

Blaster IR aiming in the closet is another possible issue, especially in relation the IR receivers for the device(s) that are not responding.

I've rejiggered my AV closet a couple of times for various reasons, including the goal of allowing me to position to RF receiver / IR blasters in a position in the closet that permitted the best RF reception.

From page 44 of your manual:

Repeats (signal strength)

The Repeats are the number of times the remote repeats a command for a device to properly respond to the command. For instance, many devices need longer or shorter command repetitions to respond properly.

To adjust repeats on your device, go to your account in the Harmony Remote Software:
1. Click the Devices tab.
2. Select the device for which you want to apply the change and click Settings.
3. Select Troubleshoot.
4. Select device responds to some commands either too many times or (in your case Waltz) only occasionally.
5. Follow the online instructions.

You might find some help under the headings "Moving Devices in Your RF System" and "Assigning Devices to a Specific Port on your Blaster" on page 46.

Here's the on-line version of the 900's manual: http://www.logitech.com/assets/44640/3/harmony900-user-guide.pdf
post #2668 of 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by petaylor View Post

Don't forget, one could have plugs that are swtich controlled.
Nice, good call.
post #2669 of 2789
Thank you guys, that would work if my light switch worked. However I'm currently renting a house and my light switch doesn't work for some reason. Which is why I have it plugged into a different outlet and I have to turn the light on manually. Any other options to be able to control my light from my remote, or possibly
even a motion sensor that I can plug my light into. After some research it seems that the only option I can find which is a little pricey. It would be this converter http://www.smarthome.com/2411R/IRLinc-Receiver-IR-to-INSTEON-Converter/p.aspx as well as http://www.smarthome.com/2457D2/LampLinc-INSTEON-Plug-In-Lamp-Dimmer-Module-Dual-Band-2-Pin/p.aspx

Any suggestions, comments?
post #2670 of 2789
I used X10 stuff with all my universal remotes for many years. It's very cheap and works ok, especially the lamp modules. Just pick up a cheap IR-543 on ebay for the IR interface. If you strike out, I have a ton of X10 stuff I no longer use, so just PM me. Also check out the Home Automation forum.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Remote Control Area
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Remote Control Area › Official Logitech Harmony 900 thread