or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Dell Zino HD - New mini HTPC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dell Zino HD - New mini HTPC - Page 160

post #4771 of 5041
So far Athlon X2 5000+ is a no go. It gets very hot (58 in coretemp) as expected and i think i might be running into power problems.

Trying to figure out what is causing the trouble.

System does boot up, but crashes after a few minutes in windows.
post #4772 of 5041
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravic View Post

So far Athlon X2 5000+ is a no go. It gets very hot (58 in coretemp) as expected and i think i might be running into power problems.

Trying to figure out what is causing the trouble.

System does boot up, but crashes after a few minutes in windows.


is right ravic, the same thing on AMD 5050e (45W), 2.6GHz, apparently the bios detects the temperature sensor bad in this case, at 60° the computer shuts down and the cooler almost did not speed up, which with the original reaching 78° or 80° without problems. On the other hand also tested with the 4050e (45w) 2.1 ghz and worked to great effect, the temperature is read correctly and the cooler work ok. I'm expecting a new AMD 4850e 2.5 ghz to test that option. I notice that happens.
For those who bought the computer with a faster CPU 4050e highly recommend U.S. $ 50 that runs just as fast as the 6850e !!!!! U.S $ S200
post #4773 of 5041
wow, so it is somekind of a bios issue. I was able to extract the ROM file from the bios. I need to get hold of AMI bios utilities to see if i can adjust anything.
post #4774 of 5041
Quote:
Originally Posted by youmax View Post

is right ravic, the same thing on AMD 5050e (45W), 2.6GHz, apparently the bios detects the temperature sensor bad in this case, at 60° the computer shuts down and the cooler almost did not speed up, which with the original reaching 78° or 80° without problems. On the other hand also tested with the 4050e (45w) 2.1 ghz and worked to great effect, the temperature is read correctly and the cooler work ok. I'm expecting a new AMD 4850e 2.5 ghz to test that option. I notice that happens.
For those who bought the computer with a faster CPU 4050e highly recommend U.S. $ 50 that runs just as fast as the 6850e !!!!! U.S $ S200

I'm really curious to see how the 4850e works out. So far, no go on the 5050e or the 45nm 5000+.
post #4775 of 5041
With the 5000+ System seems to automatically turn off when the temp hits 59.

I modified the bios to include the latest AMD CPU microcode, It still did not help with the fan speed.

Even though the heatsink keeps getting really hot, the fan keeps blowing at same normal speed.

So thermal control is probably the issue with this system.

Now one of CPU screws is broken. Trying to get a replacement screw from dell.
post #4776 of 5041
Damn, that sucks. At least dell will replace it. Hopefully the 4850e will have better results!
post #4777 of 5041
I read a post where someone turned the fan to blow into the heat sink and they said it cooled a lot better. Anyone try this?
post #4778 of 5041
Has anyone tried a Athlon II X2 cpu ? one of the E or U models have a TDP of 45w or 25w and in theory (bios depending) work in 780g AM2 motherboards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...C_dual-core.29
post #4779 of 5041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin View Post

I read a post where someone turned the fan to blow into the heat sink and they said it cooled a lot better. Anyone try this?


I tried blowing it's cooler side of the heatsink and also disconnect the speed sensor so that it is operating at maximum, with that I would say that is safe to use a 45W CPU by the tests I did. the problem with that is that the hard disk tends to have more operating temperature. I recommend placing a 2.5 HDD to resolve that.
post #4780 of 5041
so i finally got my zino (scratch and dent) from dell outlet yesterday. it has the 1.8 dual core processor, 3gb of memory, upgraded ati radeon 4330 graphics card, 250gb hard drive, blu-ray drive and windows 7 home premium. some initial thoughts:
i was a little nervous buying a computer that was labeled as "scratch and dent" but it looked almost brand new when i pulled it out of the box. it is in great shape physically.
i didn't have to do anything in the control panel as far as the sound goes over hdmi. it worked right out of the box.
i tried out a 1080p youtube video, hd netflix streaming and a blu-ray (star trek) and experienced no lag, stutter, etc whatsoever.
i removed a few programs it came pre-installed with, but for the most part i like everything that is on there. i might end up removing this dell dock software that came pre-installed though.
the only issue i have run into is i hooked it up to a vizio sv470m via hdmi and it automatically set the screen resolution to 1080p (1920 x 1080). but, for some reason, there was about an inch border all the way around the screen that was not being used. it was just black. i messed with a few settings on the computer to try and fix this to no avail. finally, i went into my tv options and had to adjust the horizontal and vertical size of the picture to get it to take up the whole 47" screen. so it seems i basically just stretched the picture to match the actual screen size. anyone else had that issue?
post #4781 of 5041
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper_85 View Post

so i finally got my zino (scratch and dent) from dell outlet yesterday. it has the 1.8 dual core processor, 3gb of memory, upgraded ati radeon graphics card, 250gb hard drive, blu-ray drive and windows 7 home premium. some initial thoughts:
i was a little nervous buying a computer that was labeled as "scratch and dent" but it looked almost brand new when i pulled it out of the box. it is in great shape physically.
i didn't have to do anything in the control panel as far as the sound goes over hdmi. it worked right out of the box.
i tried out a 1080p youtube video, hd netflix streaming and a blu-ray (star trek) and experienced no lag, stutter, etc whatsoever.
i removed a few programs it came pre-installed with, but for the most part i like everything that is on there. i might end up removing this dell dock software that came pre-installed though.
the only issue i have run into is i hooked it up to a vizio sv470m via hdmi and it automatically set the screen resolution to 1080p (1920 x 1080). but, for some reason, there was about an inch border all the way around the screen that was not being used. it was just black. i messed with a few settings on the computer to try and fix this to no avail. finally, i went into my tv options and had to adjust the horizontal and vertical size of the picture to get it to take up the whole 47" screen. so it seems i basically just stretched the picture to match the actual screen size. anyone else had that issue?


I'm starting to wonder if people's definition of "no stutter" is completely different than there actually being no stutter. Netflix HD is terrible on my Zino with all updated drivers and a fresh install of Windows 7. My CPU isn't even hitting 80% on Netflix and it still stutters. I also had a Dell Zino HD scratch and dent (which came in the wrong color and had an insane amount of swirly marks for some odd reason), and I still experienced stutter using Dell's default configuration like you did. I'm not sure how our experiences can be so different.

As for the black border, go into the ATI Catalyst Control Center and adjust the overscan settings. By default it is at 15%, set it to 0%. Go to the Displays portion of CCC and then right click your Display and go to properties, you'll see overscan under there.
post #4782 of 5041
Quote:
Originally Posted by assplats View Post

I'm starting to wonder if people's definition of "no stutter" is completely different than there actually being no stutter. Netflix HD is terrible on my Zino with all updated drivers and a fresh install of Windows 7. My CPU isn't even hitting 80% on Netflix and it still stutters. I also had a Dell Zino HD scratch and dent (which came in the wrong color and had an insane amount of swirly marks for some odd reason), and I still experienced stutter using Dell's default configuration like you did. I'm not sure how our experiences can be so different.

As for the black border, go into the ATI Catalyst Control Center and adjust the overscan settings. By default it is at 15%, set it to 0%. Go to the Displays portion of CCC and then right click your Display and go to properties, you'll see overscan under there.

thanks for the help about the overscan. and i apologize if this has been explained before as i read a lot of this thread but not all of it. as far as the stuttering, can you explain me what stuttering is, since i apparently don't know? when i started netflix streaming the quality wasn't good for about 10 seconds until it fully buffered and then it went into hd and never looked back. i understand picture quality is not stuttering but just thought i would throw that out there. i have a business line through cox in the okc area so my internet connection is not a problem. i watched a full 22 minute episode of the office on netflix in hd and i didn't notice lag, stuttering, etc. again, perhaps it was there and i didn't see it, but i find it hard to believe i could simply overlook/not notice the video stuttering.
post #4783 of 5041
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper_85 View Post

thanks for the help about the overscan. and i apologize if this has been explained before as i read a lot of this thread but not all of it. as far as the stuttering, can you explain me what stuttering is, since i apparently don't know? when i started netflix streaming the quality wasn't good for about 10 seconds until it fully buffered and then it went into hd and never looked back. i understand picture quality is not stuttering but just thought i would throw that out there. i have a business line through cox in the okc area so my internet connection is not a problem. i watched a full 22 minute episode of the office on netflix in hd and i didn't notice lag, stuttering, etc. again, perhaps it was there and i didn't see it, but i find it hard to believe i could simply overlook/not notice the video stuttering.

No problem. I didn't mean to be offensive, if it came off that way.

For me, I tried streaming Torchwood Season 2 the Meat episode and it stutters. Buffering is fine for me, I have a 16 Mbps connection. On my PS3 the episode plays HD perfectly smooth. However, on my Zino, it is not smooth and has a little bit of jerky playback. It was enough to annoy me and make me go back to watching on the PS3.

I also cannot stream the Purevideo HD youtube video smooth, but it plays smooth on my macbook pro. I am considering selling my Zino and grabbing a Mac Mini, but they are expensive. I feel like the Zino should be able to handle what I'm throwing at it (it has leftover CPU), but it just doesn't do it without jerkyness.

I have the neo 6850e, radeon 4330, 3 gigs of ram and windows 7 64-bit, just like you.
post #4784 of 5041
Quote:
Originally Posted by assplats View Post

No problem. I didn't mean to be offensive, if it came off that way.

For me, I tried streaming Torchwood Season 2 the Meat episode and it stutters. Buffering is fine for me, I have a 16 Mbps connection. On my PS3 the episode plays HD perfectly smooth. However, on my Zino, it is not smooth and has a little bit of jerky playback. It was enough to annoy me and make me go back to watching on the PS3.

I also cannot stream the Purevideo HD youtube video smooth, but it plays smooth on my macbook pro. I am considering selling my Zino and grabbing a Mac Mini, but they are expensive. I feel like the Zino should be able to handle what I'm throwing at it (it has leftover CPU), but it just doesn't do it without jerkyness.

I have the neo 6850e, radeon 4330, 3 gigs of ram and windows 7 64-bit, just like you.

don't worry i didn't take offense to that, and i wasn't trying to sound like i was offended by it. anyways, that sucks that yours stutters like you were describing. perhaps, once i use my zino more and more i might start to notice stuttering. like i said, i had just gotten it last night and only watched a few things on it. i considered getting other htpc's as well but for the price i paid, there was no better deal out there. i also have a 360 hooked up to my tv and i will test the netflix on that again since i haven't actually used it in a while and see if i can tell a difference from the zino. i actually have a macbook pro as well and will try netflix on it as well.
post #4785 of 5041
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper_85 View Post

don't worry i didn't take offense to that, and i wasn't trying to sound like i was offended by it. anyways, that sucks that yours stutters like you were describing. perhaps, once i use my zino more and more i might start to notice stuttering. like i said, i had just gotten it last night and only watched a few things on it. i considered getting other htpc's as well but for the price i paid, there was no better deal out there. i also have a 360 hooked up to my tv and i will test the netflix on that again since i haven't actually used it in a while and see if i can tell a difference from the zino. i actually have a macbook pro as well and will try netflix on it as well.


Thanks, buddy. I'll be curious to hear if you notice a difference!
post #4786 of 5041
The new Dharma version of XBMC supports offloading the video decoding to a GPU.
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/

But I'm not sure if the Zino ATI discrete GPU would be supported?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBMC

Quote:


however XBMC does support hardware accelerated video decoding, so using Nvidia's VDPAU (which is supported from XBMC 9.04), or Microsoft's DXVA, Apple's VDADecoder, Intel's VAAPI, OpenMAX, or Broadcom Crystal HD Enhanced Media Accelerator (which are all supported from the pre-releases of the upcoming "Dharma" version of XBMC) via their respective API for hardware accelerated video decoding, XBMC can offload most of the video decoding processor onto a GPU graphics hardware controller that support those.[34]
post #4787 of 5041
I don't know whether this was asked or discussed before - but has anyone replaced their Zino HDD with a SSD AND managed to keep their HDD internally? I don't even know whether there is an additional SATA plug on the MB to make it possible, and the space within Zino's case is extremely tight. SSD's have given my other slower systems a new lease on life, and I am hoping for the same with Zino.

Another option would be to use SSD in Zino as a system drive and plug in a 2.5 external USB "permanently" as a storage drive. Thoughts?
post #4788 of 5041
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohtur View Post

I don't know whether this was asked or discussed before - but has anyone replaced their Zino HDD with a SSD AND managed to keep their HDD internally? I don't even know whether there is an additional SATA plug on the MB to make it possible, and the space within Zino's case is extremely tight. SSD's have given my other slower systems a new lease on life, and I am hoping for the same with Zino.

Another option would be to use SSD in Zino as a system drive and plug in a 2.5 external USB "permanently" as a storage drive. Thoughts?

Sorry can't help you with the SSD issue, have been thinking about both for my zino and XPS - but don't because of the cost issue. I have a 4TB WD connected permanently via eSATA which works fine. Heat doesn't seem to be an issue...
post #4789 of 5041
I have an SSD in my zino, and have for about 6 months. I replaced the 3.5" HDD with it. There is no additional SATA port so you can only run 1 internal drive.
post #4790 of 5041
anyone prove with AM3 CPU into ZINO?????????????
post #4791 of 5041
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...0/en/index.htm

New Inspiron 410 Zino HD documentation has been updated on Dell's website. Not sure what the diff is between the older I400 and this new I410 model...



EDIT: Integrated and discrete GPUs got an upgrade

Video
Integrated
ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4250
Discrete (optional)
ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5450, 1GB
post #4792 of 5041
Well, looks like I'm going to go ahead and sell my month old Zino HD... athlon 6850e, radeon 4330, 3 gigs of ram, 320 gigs of hard drive space, windows 7 home premium 64-bit. I'll probably throw it on eBay soon. Shoot me a PM if anyone is interested.
post #4793 of 5041
GPU AND CPU have been upgraded.
CPUs :
AMD™ Athlon™ II Dual Core
AMD Turion™ II Dual Core
AMD Phenom™ II Triple Core
AMD Phenom II Quad Core
AMD V Series Single Core

Hope Dell can provide upgrades for my zino... If it could run a little faster so that it is possible to play a little with 3D games...
post #4794 of 5041
IR sensor as well, faster 1066 memory and 7.1 audio....
post #4795 of 5041
faster CPU and 7.1 audio via HDMI...
post #4796 of 5041
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...b_win7-64.aspx

I wonder if this will fix the stuttering.
post #4797 of 5041
In case anyone is interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Zino-HD-AMD...5#ht_500wt_920


I hope this doesn't cout as spam. I'll remove t if it does.
post #4798 of 5041
Thread Starter 
New Zino options get a mention on Engadget. Not much in the way of new info...
http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/31/d...ore-potential/
post #4799 of 5041
Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 View Post

New Zino options get a mention on Engadget. Not much in the way of new info...
http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/31/d...ore-potential/

Thanks for the link!

Engadget must be slacking lately...took 'em>24Hrs to get around posting about the updated Zino...
post #4800 of 5041
Will you be able to upgrade the 4330 video card with the new 5000 series card?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Dell Zino HD - New mini HTPC