Originally Posted by athanur
I have been following this thread with great interest and thanks to your inputs, I finally took the plunge and got the TX-NR807 set up although not fully. Here are some initial observations.
First my setup:
- Panasonic TH-50PZ800U
- Onkyo TX-NR807
- Oppo BDP-83
- Dish Network VIP 622 DVR
- Polk Audio speakers (RT1000i fronts, LS fx/35 surrounds, PSW 450 subwoofer, JBL center)
1. First time set up took quite a while because of confusion arising from the designations of the surround speakers.
2. Several times I had video dropouts and audio dropouts -- power reset button did the trick.
3. Audyssey setup is awesome.
4. Clean sound from the amp/speakers.
5. Calibration DVD that came with the Oppo BDP 83 is good, but I don't quite know how else to better my colors. THX preset mode from the TV works just fine.
6. Default settings from Oppo to receiver are working fine for me. In other words, I let Oppo take care of the data encoding.
7. The tuner for FM sounds terrible even though I had followed directions and I live within 5 miles of most radio stations I listen to.
8. SACD over DSD blew my mind. Earlier I used to play my SACDs via analog inputs to my old receiver (Yamaha RXV-1200).
Things to complete setup
1. Networking the components to use Ethernet ports on all devices. I'm considering SlingLink Turbo 4-port. Any suggestions?
2. Install HD Radio and perhaps iPod adapter. Need advice/suggestions on whether this is worth pursuing.
3. Start playing Pandora/last.fm/internet
radio etc. once the network setup is complete.
Thanks in advance for your inputs prior to this posting and any suggestions you may have.