or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › New SONYVPL-VW 85 100000:1 on:off
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New SONYVPL-VW 85 100000:1 on:off

post #1 of 363
Thread Starter 
SONY will present one, of his new projector at the IFA SHOW 2009 in Berlin, the VPL-VW 85

http://www.cinetson.org/phpBB3/proje...0.html#p488934

Here some specs :

100000:1 Contrast with D.I.
20 DB
Bravo engine 2
800 Lumens
Pannels alignment
2 Triggers
Horizontal and vertical motorized lens shift
Price TBE : 6000 euros

P.S. : A second one is also expected
post #2 of 363
Wow! Great specs and looks like a VW60 price range instead of the VW70/80. I wonder what the second one will bring to the table.
post #3 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post

SONY will present one, of his new projector at the IFA SHOW 2009 in Berlin, the VPL-VW 85

http://www.cinetson.org/phpBB3/proje...0.html#p488934

Here some specs :

100000:1 Contrast with D.I.
20 DB
Bravo engine 2
800 Lumens
Pannels alignment
2 Triggers
Horizontal and vertical motorized lens shift
Price TBE : 8000 euros

Cool - thanks! So VW80 60k:1 and VW85 100k:1. Native CR for the VW80 was measured around 11k:1. So I'd hope for 18k:1 or 19k:1 for the VW85. Still not a match for the native CR of the JVC HD750. But getting nearer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post

P.S. : A second one is also expected

Do you mean the HW10 replacement? Or do you mean a model above the VW85?
post #4 of 363
Thread Starter 
SONY will present two new projectors on the occasion of a press conference on September 2nd, 2009 in BERLIN. I still ignore which one but I hope and wait for the VPL-VW 300 or for the HW 20.
post #5 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

Cool - thanks! So VW80 60k:1 and VW85 100k:1. Native CR for the VW80 was measured around 11k:1. So I'd hope for 18k:1 or 19k:1 for the VW85. Still not a match for the native CR of the JVC HD750. But getting nearer.

I could get 100k:1 dynamic with my VW80 through the service menu, but it was a big multiplier and still preferred the RS20's contrast ratio. I hope that Sony has upped native on/off CR a reasonable amount and didn't get there mostly with a bigger multiplier instead.

I wonder what companies like Panasonic will do after they speced 60k:1 last year and movie modes (not the Dynamic mode with color problems) were more like 2k:1 native on/off CR and 6k:1 dynamic on/off CR. That is, if they up their real on/off CRs 60-70% will they also claim 100k:1 on/off CR?

--Darin
post #6 of 363
My info is the native is up and the DI has not been made more aggressive. but only time willtell. If I say more, Jason would have to shoot me. man that guy can hit a bulls eye a mile away while riding a surf board.
post #7 of 363
Thread Starter 
http://www.eisa.eu/awards

Quote:
Seeing is believing' says Sony, and that has never been more true than with the new BRAVIA VPL-VW85. Using three latest generation SXRD panels with 1920x1080 pixels each, it produces smooth and crisp High Definition images. In conjunction with a revised dynamic iris control, these deliver a stunning in-picture contrast, resulting in lifelike and rich images of previously-unseen depth and clarity. Sony's unique Motionflow algorithm offers the right mode of motion compensation for every source material and viewer's taste, including the option to insert black frames for a really cinema-like presentation. The combination of all these technologies results in a picture performance that sets new standards in the home theatre experience.
post #8 of 363
Is the MotionFLow 120hz or 240hz?
post #9 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

My info is the native is up and the DI has not been made more aggressive. but only time willtell.

Reading through all the threads/available info a new/improved/revised iris does get mentioned so it may not all be native gain and if that's the case not much reason to upgrade from a VW80 especially if pricing info is correct at nearly twice what some of us paid for the VW80.
post #10 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post

I hope and wait for the VPL-VW 300.

There has been rumor somethings coming this year or next. I hope its this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Tripp View Post

not much reason to upgrade from a VW80 especially if pricing info is correct at nearly twice what some of us paid for the VW80.

If Sony still enforces the Sure Policy that will keep its price right up there with the new high end JVC
which will native over 100,000:1
It will be interesting to see which ends up with higher ANSI.
post #11 of 363
post #12 of 363
Thread Starter 
According this website, the VPL-VW 85 will be available in Europe in September 2009. Expected price around 6000 euros

http://www.avmagazine.it/news/videop...vw85_4571.html
post #13 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post

According this website, the VPL-VW 85 will be available in Europe in September 2009. Expected price around 6000 euros

http://www.avmagazine.it/news/videop...vw85_4571.html

Does that price include the VAT or not? Just curious as to what the price will end up being here in the US.
post #14 of 363
Thread Starter 
That price include VAT.
post #15 of 363
The VW80 started with an MSRP of about 6500 Euros, IIRC. So it seems that the VW85 will simply replace the VW80 at a roughly similar MSRP. That would make a lot of sense, of course. Here in Europe the VW70 never existed. So I'm not sure what this all means for you US guys...
post #16 of 363
If model numbers are any guide, I would not expect this to be much improved over the vw80. Previous Sony models have always been round numbers: vw40, vw50, vw60, vw70 and vw 80.

Now it may be that Sony sees that it is getting close to vw100 (which has already been taken) and is slowing down the progression because of that but from model numbers alone, the jump from a vw80 to a vw85 should not be very big.

This is the lowest form of analysis, of course.
post #17 of 363
Duh. They are running out of numbers. So. To make the numbering system last, they chose 85, leaving 90 and 95 available for future years.. I have been given a release to disclose this very valuable information.

As I reported in February, the US MSRP will be $8000, this is consistent with subtracting VAT from the Euros and applying the exchange rate. Things can always change.
post #18 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Duh. They are running out of numbers.

In case you don't know, you can't run out of numbers. They go on forever.

Why not a vpl-vw800? That number signals something. From 80 to 85 sounds like an incremental improvement. Again, this is not a sophisticated analysis but that is exactly why it may be predictive with the corporate small thinkers who market these products.
post #19 of 363
I will of course try the 85 but I will also be trying the new JVCs to. At least the 950 and the 990. It's shaping up to be a fun Fall!
post #20 of 363
If we do not see the Qualia replacement then the VW200 will remain the flagship once again.
post #21 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post

According this website, the VPL-VW 85 will be available in Europe in September 2009. Expected price around 6000 euros

http://www.avmagazine.it/news/videop...vw85_4571.html

if you clicked to the next page on that link you can see that Anthem is bring out a line of projectors, rebagded JVCs though

http://66.196.80.202/babelfish/trans...-ltx-500-.html
post #22 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

The VW80 started with an MSRP of about 6500 Euros, IIRC. So it seems that the VW85 will simply replace the VW80 at a roughly similar MSRP. That would make a lot of sense, of course. Here in Europe the VW70 never existed. So I'm not sure what this all means for you US guys...

The VW70 has an MSRP of $6999 here according to projectorcentral.com, so we can figure out what that means if they also keep the VW85 in the same ballpark here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

If model numbers are any guide, I would not expect this to be much improved over the vw80.

By that it should be 1.5 jumps from the vw70.

Whether it is a small jump or not around the world using the 85 does seem to imply that it is small to end users.

I wonder how many people who bought the vw70 in the US knew about the vw80. I'm guessing that many people who knew about both skipped the vw70 just because of the 2 models with lesser features in the US tactic Sony used.

--Darin
post #23 of 363
I am usually curious about most Sony PJs but didn't even look at the 70...
post #24 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I am usually curious about most Sony PJs but didn't even look at the 70...

Me too cause it was'nt a VW80. Why did Sony not release the VW80 in the U.S.? & Why even make a VW70?
post #25 of 363
The 70 has gotten some pretty solid reviews. Granted it's missing the motion flow feature but what else was missing from it that is available on the 80?
post #26 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhjr34 View Post

The 70 has gotten some pretty solid reviews. Granted it's missing the motion flow feature but what else was missing from it that is available on the 80?

There are circuits in the VW200 that are not in the 85 and under still leaving it king again. I would like to see a new model form Sony but the rumor they are no longer interested in the HT arena may be true if this is it.
Could there be a surprise waiting at Cedia beyond this?
post #27 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot Link View Post

There are circuits in the VW200 that are not in the 85

Like what? Now don't tell me "some magical circuits which somehow make the image quality xx% nicer". Some technical details would be useful. Thanks.
post #28 of 363
So some circuits and motion flow are the only differences between the 70 and 80 then? I guess I can see the need for the motion flow feature for sports. However, it's just terrible with movies. That feature hasn't been on the JVC's (the RS20 etc) and it hasn't slowed their sales down at all. Not trying to pick a fight on the topic. Just trying to understand the signficance of the motion flow feature. Just seems like a very solid machine has been over looked for one possible feature being excluded in the US. When the top dog JVC's doesn't have it either.

I'm only saying this too because when the VW85 hits the streets there are better then average chances that more then a few 70's will hit some nice price points I'm sure. Would it still be worth not considering because of Motion Flow being excluded if it ends up significantly cheaper then the VW85 street price?
post #29 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhjr34 View Post

The 70 has gotten some pretty solid reviews. Granted it's missing the motion flow feature but what else was missing from it that is available on the 80?

MotionFlow and DFI was enough for me. Why get the 70 when we could just get a 80 from over there?
post #30 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhjr34 View Post

So some circuits and motion flow are the only differences between the 70 and 80 then? I guess I can see the need for the motion flow feature for sports. However, it's just terrible with movies. That feature hasn't been on the JVC's (the RS20 etc) and it hasn't slowed their sales down at all. Not trying to pick a fight on the topic. Just trying to understand the signficance of the motion flow feature. Just seems like a very solid machine has been over looked for one possible feature being excluded in the US. When the top dog JVC's doesn't have it either.

I'm only saying this too because when the VW85 hits the streets there are better then average chances that more then a few 70's will hit some nice price points I'm sure. Would it still be worth not considering because of Motion Flow being excluded if it ends up significantly cheaper then the VW85 street price?

Looks like JVC will have it on their new ones coming this Fall...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › New SONYVPL-VW 85 100000:1 on:off