or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BD Mega-Changer Thread: BDP-CX7000ES & BDP-CX960
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony BD Mega-Changer Thread: BDP-CX7000ES & BDP-CX960 - Page 5

post #121 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Yes, I heard similar - that the line as-is is discontinued, but that technical and hw support will continue at least until next August. Additionally, the Q4 firmware update with BDP changer support is still on track, as will be any additional firmware/software fixes required to correct problems with the Vision units.

No new Vision announcements at CEDIA, but future product roadmap is still being determined. They said it had nothing to do with K-Scape, but more changing market conditions. It is also possible there would be a changer-only control/GUI unit, though this was an unofficial comment....

Thanks for clearing this up. I'm on my second Escient unit, so the problems with the hardware are understandable. The second unit I have now still has problems, it will change back to the default resolution for no apparent reason. I have ripped a few movies to it, but use it mainly to control two sony megachangers, which it does quite well. Unfortunately, it will occaisonally not output sound on the ripped movies. This seems to happen after watching a changer based movie, and will resolve if the system is rebooted.
post #122 of 3313
Thread Starter 
This is what Escient said to one of its distributors, in an email:

Quote:


"Escient is in the process of re-evaluating their product strategy and anticipates having a new model line up plan before CES in January 2010.

Escient will continue to provide service and support and honor the warranty for the Escient Vision products, including providing software updates, as needed and appropriate. Escient is also planning a complete software update for the existing Vision models in the near future.

Thank you for your support of Escient and feel free to contact us if you have any questions"

However, look for prices of existing units to plummet to levels worth getting in the game for, at least insofar as this thread's users are concerned. The bottom line is that it probably works out to being good news if your only purpose in getting one was to control the BD changer.

Nick
post #123 of 3313
I received a similar email

From: Poore, Cory [mailto:cory.poore@escient.com]
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 11:55 AM
To: Rick Tywoniak (rtywonia); Esc Tech Support
Subject: RE: Support of Vision Line

Rick,

That’s correct, the Escient Vision product line including VS-100, VS-200, VC-1, and VX-600 is no longer shipping and has been discontinued. However, our goal remains to provide excellent service to our dealers and end users and as such, we will still honor warranty for existing Vision product including service, support, and future software updates. Existing Vision product owners can also still expect a significant software update planned for Q4 2009. Further software updates also still include adding support for Sony’s BDP-CX7000ES 400-disc Blu-ray changer.

The decision to discontinue Vision is mainly the result of factors such as technical challenges, declining sales, and shifting market trends since Vision product launch. Therefore, we have decided that a shift in strategy is warranted. This includes, but is not limited to, integration of new product capabilities and support for high definition content. In the mean time we will continue to re-evaluate our product strategy and customer trends but we will not be making any new product announcements at CEDIA 2009. We will definitely share our product plans as soon as we are able to.

Nothing official but I believe high definition support for upcoming product to be mainly focused around the Sony BDP-CX7000ES Blu-ray changer – so don’t rule it out.

Regards,

Cory Poore
Escient Technical Support
cory.poore@escient.com
(800) 372-4368 Ext. 3

________________________________________
From: Rick Tywoniak (rtywonia) [mailto:rtywonia@cisco.com]
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 3:09 AM
To: Esc Tech Support
Subject: Support of Vision Line
Importance: Low

I noticed you just discontinued your vision line. Do you still have plans to support Sony BluRay players. I own a vision and was hoping to hook it up to Sony’s BluRay changer.


Regards,


Richard Tywoniak
post #124 of 3313
This is the email I received from Escient today:

"Escient is discontinuing the Vision Series and focusing on a new line of products to address a number of evolving technologies.

With that said though, we will continue to support the Vision products already in the market with a number of future upgrades, including the ability to control the new Sony mega BD changers.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,


Kevin"

That is good enough for me.
post #125 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Satullo View Post

However, look for prices of existing units to plummet to levels worth getting in the game for, at least insofar as this thread's users are concerned. The bottom line is that it probably works out to being good news if your only purpose in getting one was to control the BD changer.

Nick

Do you really think the prices will dramatically drop? I was waiting to buy the VS-200 after the update, but I am now concerned there will not be any available by then. The best I have seen so far is about 25% off, and that was not a major retailer.
post #126 of 3313
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Winter View Post

Do you really think the prices will dramatically drop? I was waiting to buy the VS-200 after the update, but I am now concerned there will not be any available by then. The best I have seen so far is about 25% off, and that was not a major retailer.


If you want to know where to look, PM me.
Try it. That's where I got mine (albeit a VS-100).

Thanks,

Nick
post #127 of 3313
So... what happened to the BDP-CX960? It was supposed to be out at the end of August, I thought.
post #128 of 3313
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwos View Post

So... what happened to the BDP-CX960? It was supposed to be out at the end of August, I thought.

I think it was more like October.

Thanks,

Nick
post #129 of 3313
Review of the product just came out - pretty good review. Do any of you think that there will be an appreciable difference between the ES and non ES versions - other than RS232 contol.
post #130 of 3313
I am looking at both as these as well. I would love to know the diffrence as seen bt anybody.
post #131 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tywoniak View Post

Review of the product just came out - pretty good review. Do any of you think that there will be an appreciable difference between the ES and non ES versions - other than RS232 contol.

Yes, I saw that review here:http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...y_megachanger/

but I am confused by the following statement towards the end:

So who needs a 400-disc Blu-ray player? Anyone who intends to collect (or already has) 400 Blu-ray discs is a good candidate. It stores DVDs and CDs, as well, so you can feed it those collections. And if you go over that amount, you can link them together and access all the content from one on-screen interface.

As far as I'm aware, there is no way to do this unless A) a fancy remote system is built to know what is in the changers or B) you get something like Escient to handle the front end.

Is my understanding correct? Or what does this person mean as that is a very vague and uninformative comment by the reviewer.
post #132 of 3313
Here's a new article from CEPro, with more clarity from Escient's president...


http://www.cepro.com/article/executi...o_focus_on_hd/

It seems things like the Sony BDP changer will actually be more at the heart of some of their upcoming products, at least in the near term...
post #133 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipester View Post

Yes, I saw that review here:http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...y_megachanger/

but I am confused by the following statement towards the end:

So who needs a 400-disc Blu-ray player? Anyone who intends to collect (or already has) 400 Blu-ray discs is a good candidate. It stores DVDs and CDs, as well, so you can feed it those collections. And if you go over that amount, you can link them together and access all the content from one on-screen interface.

As far as I'm aware, there is no way to do this unless A) a fancy remote system is built to know what is in the changers or B) you get something like Escient to handle the front end.

Is my understanding correct? Or what does this person mean as that is a very vague and uninformative comment by the reviewer.

I see no way of doing this without the escient - so yes this quote is misleading or at the very least - not helpful. However this publication is not known for its depth of reporting/analysis.
post #134 of 3313
[quote=thrang;17102873]Here's a new article from CEPro, with more clarity from Escient's president...

"Weissburg says D&M will show the controllability of that device (BDP-CX7000ES) in a private suite during CEDIA Expo 2009"

Sounds like they have the interface figured out. Very positive.
post #135 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Here's a new article from CEPro, with more clarity from Escient's president...

"To make a product focused on standard def is a little bit of challenge," Weissburg says. "Clearly, HD is the way everything is going."

Does anyone uderstand the president's comment above? The Vision line does 1080p, will support the megachanger, so what does he infer when he states it does not focus on HD?
post #136 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tywoniak View Post

I see no way of doing this without the escient - so yes this quote is misleading or at the very least - not helpful. However this publication is not known for its depth of reporting/analysis.

Wouldn't it be neat if it was as simple as taking two 7000's and connecting them together with a serial cable and have them act as one giant 800 disc changer. Just configure the first as the host and the second as slave and there you go.
post #137 of 3313
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tywoniak View Post

Review of the product just came out - pretty good review. Do any of you think that there will be an appreciable difference between the ES and non ES versions - other than RS232 contol.


Does anyone dare to suggest that the non ES version can be more than a shadow of the ES version. After all, this is ES . . .

[said the sucker that has bought two ES changers so far . . . ]

When you look over the specs of the two models, I can't see how in the world they will be a bit different. You get 232 control with the ES, and, of course, the right to say that you paid about $1000 more for it.

I'm betting there's no difference whatsoever, not for BD playback, anyways.

Nick
post #138 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Satullo View Post

Does anyone dare to suggest that the non ES version can be more than a shadow of the ES version. After all, this is ES . . .

[said the sucker that has bought two ES changers so far . . . ]

When you look over the specs of the two models, I can't see how in the world they will be a bit different. You get 232 control with the ES, and, of course, the right to say that you paid about $1000 more for it.

I'm betting there's no difference whatsoever, not for BD playback, anyways.

Nick

I'll let you know. I'm going the cheap route
post #139 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefuel View Post

I'll let you know. I'm going the cheap route

Your not the only one!
post #140 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by butsu View Post

I have to say I hate all the changer machine including this Mega-changer BDs from Sony,last time dvd changer gave me headache cause malfunction issue so I will stick with standalone BD player,just my opinion.

I've owned two mega CD changers made by Sony. Both started skipping after about 2 years' use. Never again.

R
post #141 of 3313
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertazimmerman View Post

I've owned two mega CD changers made by Sony. Both started skipping after about 2 years' use. Never again.

R

I've owned 200 disc CD changers from Sony, a 200 disc DVD changer from Sony, 2 300 disc DVD changers from Sony, and 8 400 disc DVD changers from Sony. All have worked perfectly, for years and years.

I'm quite certain my experience is the norm, as reported by a lot of users.

Thanks,

Nick
post #142 of 3313
I own 3 400 CD changers from sony and a DVD changer from sony and never had a problem
post #143 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Satullo View Post

I'm betting there's no difference whatsoever, not for BD playback, anyways.

Nick

Probably true. The question is, will they both have the same upscaler for SD DVDs? Will either approach the new Oppo 83 in upscaling?
post #144 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Satullo View Post

Does anyone dare to suggest that the non ES version can be more than a shadow of the ES version. After all, this is ES . . .

[said the sucker that has bought two ES changers so far . . . ]

When you look over the specs of the two models, I can't see how in the world they will be a bit different. You get 232 control with the ES, and, of course, the right to say that you paid about $1000 more for it.

I'm betting there's no difference whatsoever, not for BD playback, anyways.

Nick

$1000 get's you the privilege of hooking up to Escient - so that you can show all your friends the cool interface and the fact that all your ripped DVD and BluRay discs are in one library. That is worth a $1000 - come on - some one tell me it is worth it - aghhh!
post #145 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Winter View Post

"To make a product focused on standard def is a little bit of challenge," Weissburg says. "Clearly, HD is the way everything is going."

Does anyone uderstand the president's comment above? The Vision line does 1080p, will support the megachanger, so what does he infer when he states it does not focus on HD?

The vision line - while supporting 1080P - it only supports it hooking up to the sony changer. You can not send 1080P around the house and you can not rip 1080p. Therefore - in terms of high definition the Escient is only good for front ending the Sony and that product has a pretty good interface. I suspect if Escient was to come out with a new product it would front end an Escient - send the video around the house, connect up to a Vudu service, into YouTube, and Netflix.
post #146 of 3313
It's always worth it if you have the money and/or a colossally understanding "other" (or none at all).

I would simply not live to post another message here if I went back on my $800 proposed changer and bought an $1800 model AND a $2500 "toy" to play with it.

wouldn't be pretty.


James
post #147 of 3313
well to each his/ her own

I am quite pleased with the new ES changer, and intend to use it 'barefoot' and see what options are presented in the future:

I still think a PC based GUI may be a solution to consider
post #148 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Satullo View Post

I've owned 200 disc CD changers from Sony, a 200 disc DVD changer from Sony, 2 300 disc DVD changers from Sony, and 8 400 disc DVD changers from Sony. All have worked perfectly, for years and years.

I'm quite certain my experience is the norm, as reported by a lot of users.

Try searching Google with the following phrase..."Sony changer skipping problem" (no quotes).

I have the 555ES and CX455 changers. Both are sitting on shelves unused as Sony's repair quotes are laughable. Maybe you folks trust that company, but I've never had a Sony product that lasted more than a couple of years.

Roberta
post #149 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

well to each his/ her own

I am quite pleased with the new ES changer, and intend to use it 'barefoot' and see what options are presented in the future:

I still think a PC based GUI may be a solution to consider

Mark, is there a PC based solution available or coming soon?
post #150 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post

Mark, is there a PC based solution available or coming soon?

nothing available now as far as I know but Barry is the one to ask:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=624

Looking at the extensive RS232 protocols and some comments made by Escient, I think it could happen

I understand many prefer a standalone solution: this would be my choice too

In my case I want to control via an RTI remote system so an IP based [ with serial] solution would be ideal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BD Mega-Changer Thread: BDP-CX7000ES & BDP-CX960