or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official PS3-Slim Master Thread-Post all comments and questions here!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official PS3-Slim Master Thread-Post all comments and questions here! - Page 2

post #31 of 1011
Quote:
bitstream does nothing but lights up the AVR.

Wow. Spoken like the true PS3 demographic.
post #32 of 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelinas View Post

Have you ever been over an hour into a blu-ray and come across a scene where the dialogue stops and all you could hear was your ps3's fan running at high speed sounding like a jet about to take off....

No. If you have a properly ventilated current-model PS3 and you have excessive fan noise, it's malfunctioning and fixable under warranty.
post #33 of 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy_winds View Post

Great news if you use the PS3 for watching Blu-ray movies with a high-end surround sound system.

I do, but my setup is fine without bitstreaming, so it was never anything more than an afterthought. Still, I'm glad the new one will have it for those it's important to.
post #34 of 1011
Some AVR's can't do bass management or process 96kz bitstream audio like the onkyo so PCM is better.
post #35 of 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert George View Post

Wow. Spoken like the true PS3 demographic.

Is that demographic "people who have a realistic science-based understanding of how Blu-ray audio works?" Then yes, it was.
post #36 of 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

No. If you have a properly ventilated current-model PS3 and you have excessive fan noise, it's malfunctioning and fixable under warranty.

The problem is "excessive" is subjective. I can certainly hear mine but only in quiet parts of the movie.
post #37 of 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Is that demographic "people who have a realistic science-based understanding of how Blu-ray audio works?" Then yes, it was.

What about people who's preamp can't apply post-proccessing to anything but bitstreamed audio? (or am I confused?)

EDIT: I think I have that backwards. Mabye I'm thinking of preamps that can't apply proccessing WITH bitstreamed audio.
post #38 of 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps24eva View Post

Wow,

now that the PS3 has bitstreaming, noone cares?

I will give you guys credit then, for figuring out that bitstreaming is not a good feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

Some AVR's can't do bass management or process 96kz bitstream audio like the onkyo so PCM is better.

I have heard of a case where a guy running a phantom center lost all center info because of player decoded PCM. He wasn't using an AVR that could decode lossless, but if had been, he could have set his BRP to bitstream and the CC info would have been mixed into the mains by the AVR. The AVR would be capable of that while the player is not. May not apply to all AVRs and all players though. Either way a bitstream versus PCM choice is a good thing. It seems there are limitations to each menthod.
post #39 of 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy_winds View Post

Great news if you use the PS3 for watching Blu-ray movies with a high-end surround sound system. If not, just nod and know that this is a good thing.

Yes, because now your audio can sound exactly the same as it did before, unless you were trying to use the secondary audio tracks, which will now be disabled when bitstreaming.

(Unless Sony has used the great processing power of the PS3 to include a lossless software-based re-encoder that can decode the primary lossless track, and the secondary track, mix them together, and then re-encode the whole thing in a lossless codec so it can be bitstreamed. Which would be so... stupid.)
post #40 of 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyaspie View Post

I have heard of a case where a guy running a phantom center lost all center info because of player decoded PCM. He wasn't using an AVR that could decode lossless, but if had been, he could have set his BRP to bitstream and the CC info would have been mixed into the mains by the AVR. The AVR would be capable of that while the player is not. May not apply to all AVRs and all players though. Either way a bitstream versus PCM choice is a good thing. It seems there are limitations to each menthod.

Easyaspie, I suggest you put the story about the center channel away somewhere that it can rest in peace. I have read the thread, and you are completely misinterpreting what was said. Indeed, you could make a case that it's an argument in favor of using LPCM and not bitstreaming.
post #41 of 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyfrogs View Post

Nope, dead silent here as well, 80gb model.

I had a release 60GB model and while I loved the PS3 overall, the cooling noise was too much for me for movie watching. I guess subsequent models had revised cooling or just didn't get as hot?
post #42 of 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWilson View Post

I had a release 60GB model and while I loved the PS3 overall, the cooling noise was too much for me for movie watching. I guess subsequent models had revised cooling or just didn't get as hot?

That's my current model, and it can certainly get louder than I'd like, but not really enough to be distracting. I can't hear it if there's any sound at all coming from the speakers, but when I stop the movie I can damn sure tell it's on.
post #43 of 1011
Quote:
Is that demographic "people who have a realistic science-based understanding of how Blu-ray audio works?" Then yes, it was.

You keep beating that drum. Being wrong has never stopped you before.
post #44 of 1011
shouldnt this thread be lumped in with the ONE AND ONLY PS3 thread? their the same product(component wise)
post #45 of 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Easyaspie, I suggest you put the story about the center channel away somewhere that it can rest in peace. I have read the thread, and you are completely misinterpreting what was said. Indeed, you could make a case that it's an argument in favor of using LPCM and not bitstreaming.

And I would suggest that you drop the argument that bitstreamingis not needed. For the record everytime you post such nonsense I will make sure that the truth is heard. I didn't interpret anything wrong. I am making the case for a choice between the 2. There are reasons to want both.

You are totally taking this out of context. Stop putting words into people's mouths.
post #46 of 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm87 View Post

shouldnt this thread be lumped in with the ONE AND ONLY PS3 thread? their the same product(component wise)


There are enough differences, such as bitstreaming, Bravia Sync, lack of linux support, new 45 nm cell processor etc.
post #47 of 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert George View Post

You keep beating that drum. Being wrong has never stopped you before.



Thank you!

I was afraid that the lunatic bitstreamers were gone.

What is your point of view by the way? I would love to see how you could argue that bitstreaming was envisioned as part of the Blu-ray standard.


P.S. I wish the new ps3 Slim did NOT have bitstreaming. Maybe I can take it apart and do some soldering to permanently disable bitstreaming.
post #48 of 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps24eva View Post

Thank you!

I was afraid that the lunatic bitstreamers were gone.

What is your point of view by the way? I would love to see how you could argue that bitstreaming was envisioned as part of the Blu-ray standard.


P.S. I wish the new ps3 Slim did NOT have bitstreaming. Maybe I can take it apart and do some soldering to permanently disable bitstreaming.

you wont need to solder it . Just disable the option in options screen :-).
post #49 of 1011
I want bitstreaming permanently removed with no posibility of ever turning it on.
post #50 of 1011
Does it use the same type of hard drive? I would not mind picking one up but I'd like to swap my HDD out as I have a 160GB that I had put into my 40GB model PS3. I should be able to control it via my TV remote, is that something being released for the older model PS3?
post #51 of 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

No. If you have a properly ventilated current-model PS3 and you have excessive fan noise, it's malfunctioning and fixable under warranty.

My old 60G sounds like a hair dryer on high after a while but is well ventilated. But I think it has a lot to do with the temperature of the room. My room is kept pretty warm, especially in the summer months. For this reason alone I will probably be getting the slim version. The fan noise can be very distracting. I just hope I will be able to move game information from one system to another.
post #52 of 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

And this helps what, 2% of the market at most? Sony only has a couple of HDTVs with this ability. There is no guarantee it will work with other manufacturers HDMI-CEC ready components.

Sony REALLY F'd up by not adding an IR sensor. The king of add-ons won't let go of their $25 remote. Thank God I got one for under $15 when Circuit City went belly up.

Seriously, how much could it cost to add IR.

I am not going to debate about not having IR, since it doesn't there is no point, but like others have mentioned the BRavia Sync feature is very cool. I currently have an A3000 SXRD and it is 2 years old and it is a Bravia that has HDMI CEC. I have it connected to my Denon receiver which also has HDMI CEC. One remote, the A3000 remote and one button to turn on and off the TV, PS3 and receiver since all would be in standby mode. THen one could access the PS3 XMB with the Bravia tv remote and play BD's from there controlling volume, play, etc.

BRAVIA® Sync Feature

The new PS3 system is also equipped with the BRAVIA® Sync feature. By connecting the new PS3 system and a BRAVIA TV with the HDMI cable, users are able to directly operate the XMB on PS3 using the TV remote control. Other functions include "System Standby" that will automatically turn off the PS3 system when the BRAVIA TV is turned off*4.


http://www.us.playstation.com/News/PressReleases/525
post #53 of 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut View Post

My old 60G sounds like a hair dryer on high after a while but is well ventilated. But I think it has a lot to do with the temperature of the room. My room is kept pretty warm, especially in the summer months. For this reason alone I will probably be getting the slim version. The fan noise can be very distracting. I just hope I will be able to move game information from one system to another.


Some claim heat of the room is a factor. I can tell you as an owner of an original 60g and also an 80g and from my personal experience I believe that isn't completely true or the main reason why some units are louder than others.

I bought my 60g in Dec of 06. It was dead silent. It stayed that way all through the year I had it, then the BD drive died. I sent it into SOny and at the same time bought an 80g. The 80g was and is still as silent as day 1 and as silent as the 60g was, yes was. When I got the 60g back from Sony, I guess it was a refurb, so I didn't get my original back. The refurb is loud as hell in comparison to how the 60g was and the 80g is. It doesn't matter how warm or cool the rooms are where I have either unit, as they perform and sound the same as far as fan speed etc. The 60g runs hot and is loud.
post #54 of 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

I am not going to debate about not having IR, since it doesn't there is no point, but like others have mentioned the BRavia Sync feature is very cool. I currently have an A3000 SXRD and it is 2 years old and it is a Bravia that has HDMI CEC. I have it connected to my Denon receiver which also has HDMI CEC. One remote, the A3000 remote and one button to turn on and off the TV, PS3 and receiver since all would be in standby mode. THen one could access the PS3 XMB with the Bravia tv remote and play BD's from there controlling volume, play, etc.

BRAVIA® Sync Feature

The new PS3 system is also equipped with the BRAVIA® Sync feature. By connecting the new PS3 system and a BRAVIA TV with the HDMI cable, users are able to directly operate the XMB on PS3 using the TV remote control. Other functions include "System Standby" that will automatically turn off the PS3 system when the BRAVIA TV is turned off*4.

Slimdog for me!


http://www.us.playstation.com/News/PressReleases/525

slimdog for me
post #55 of 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps24eva View Post

I want bitstreaming permanently removed with no posibility of ever turning it on.

Wow. You know, I'm too 'dumb' to comment on whether bitstreaming should or shouldn't be done by the transport, whether it sounds different, and so on and so forth.

However, this line of thinking is ridiculous. Sony isn't holding a gun to your head and telling you to bitstream. If you want the PS3 to decode it, just configure the machine to do so. Why do you care so much what others do? Or even more important, why do you care so much that you are willing to go to the trouble to mess YOUR PS3 (and void the warranty). That is extremism at its finest.

Of course, you could be saying all this with tongue firmly planted in cheek just to get a rise out of people. Kind of hoping that is the case.
post #56 of 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps24eva View Post

There are enough differences, such as bitstreaming, Bravia Sync, lack of linux support, new 45 nm cell processor etc.

I bet it will be put in the same and it should, regardless of the differences, since there will be only one PS3 as the year wears on and the thread title of the other is...The one and only...
post #57 of 1011
Very good info guys. Thanks for posting it. Bitstreaming was a needed addition. I'm in the camp that doesn't care either way. I have a new receiver that processes and handles whatever nicely. So, I'll stick with my launch model (and dead quiet) 60GB model. But, it's nice to see them add the new HDMI chip for those in need of it.

Btw, does the new one handle SACDs? That would be a big negative for me should my current one fail.
post #58 of 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut View Post

My old 60G sounds like a hair dryer on high after a while but is well ventilated. But I think it has a lot to do with the temperature of the room. My room is kept pretty warm, especially in the summer months. For this reason alone I will probably be getting the slim version. The fan noise can be very distracting. I just hope I will be able to move game information from one system to another.

I have 60 gig, no noise at all, unless you get up close... The Slim version will be interesting... at the price point it is a no brainer.
post #59 of 1011
Do we know if the PS3 Slim is dual voltage like the Phat PS3 was?

110-240v?
post #60 of 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue74 View Post


of course, you could be saying all this with tongue firmly planted in cheek just to get a rise out of people. Kind of hoping that is the case.

yes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official PS3-Slim Master Thread-Post all comments and questions here!