or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Official Sony VPL-HW15 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony VPL-HW15 Thread

post #1 of 678
Thread Starter 
The Sony VPL-HW15 is said to have 60,000:1 contrast (after dynamic iris), 1080p LCoS panels (not sure if 100 or 120 Hz), and ship October 3 for 2500 Euros. Will be announced at IFA in Berlin next week. This could pose a serious threat to the low end or used JVCs and high end LCD from Epson and Panasonic. But, keep it in your pants until we give Epson/Panny a chance to respond at IFA or CEDIA in early September.

Specs http://www.thehomecinemacentre.co.uk...ifications.pdf

Discussion, in French. Use a translator or follow some of the links in the article.
http://www.cinetson.org/phpBB3/proje...me-t30567.html

There was a false HW15 a year ago, and then Sony a year ago released just the HW10. This years real HW15 appears to offer double the price/performance. With luck, and time, a PJ that sells for 2000 GBP or 2500 EUR can ballpark for 2500 USD.
post #2 of 678
Hi guys,

just wanted to let you know this is really one to look out for, Saw this at a special viewing last night and it looks like Sony could have really cracked it with this new Model.

The physical design is good, its not motorised but thats not an issue if its on a fixed mount or not moved much.

Image quality was fantastic, 120hz on the 3 SXRD panels showed amazing detail and very realistic motion ( as long as the motionflow wasnt cranked too much which could look too fluid for movie watching ).

Quite a bright projector so not limited to a light controlled environment, but may need a screen with limited gain, viewing environment included a stewart firehawk.

Some improvements are due on the black level when it hits production which was the only area that I felt could be improved but when calibrated against a reasonable BluRay source ( not the ps3 ) shadow detail was great, and possible improved by the new auto-iris that has manual override controls.

Will be interesting to see if the competition steps up at IFA, (dimming 255 level LED lightcannon, with DFI ----Anyone ???)

Overall this would give almost anything at the current projected £2k price (JVC,Panny,Epson) a really good run for the money and if you factor in the Bravia link, selection of inputs and a real quality feel to the whole device, I.M.O Sony are really gonna have a winner here.

Maximus
post #3 of 678
post #4 of 678
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robkramer View Post

More discussion here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1173705

I would think the $3000+ forum would get the VW85 and here in the $3000- forum we get the HW15. But I haven't seen a US MSRP on either. Anyway they look promising and its great to see information about them wherever it is.
post #5 of 678
I was under the impression that this projector did not have 120Hz panels(??)

I am looking to get rid of my Barco 808 and get this instead.

:-)


Quote:
Originally Posted by max_g View Post

Hi guys,

just wanted to let you know this is really one to look out for, Saw this at a special viewing last night and it looks like Sony could have really cracked it with this new Model.

The physical design is good, its not motorised but thats not an issue if its on a fixed mount or not moved much.

Image quality was fantastic, 120hz on the 3 SXRD panels showed amazing detail and very realistic motion ( as long as the motionflow wasnt cranked too much which could look too fluid for movie watching ).

Quite a bright projector so not limited to a light controlled environment, but may need a screen with limited gain, viewing environment included a stewart firehawk.

Some improvements are due on the black level when it hits production which was the only area that I felt could be improved but when calibrated against a reasonable BluRay source ( not the ps3 ) shadow detail was great, and possible improved by the new auto-iris that has manual override controls.

Will be interesting to see if the competition steps up at IFA, (dimming 255 level LED lightcannon, with DFI ----Anyone ???)

Overall this would give almost anything at the current projected £2k price (JVC,Panny,Epson) a really good run for the money and if you factor in the Bravia link, selection of inputs and a real quality feel to the whole device, I.M.O Sony are really gonna have a winner here.

Maximus
post #6 of 678
I posted the below in a different thread. I got my -HW15 yesterday after it was overnighted (all shipping was FUH-REEE) to me. After initial install/hookup I am blown away by the difference in image quality over my previous Sony VPL-HS51. I wasn't too surprised though.



Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post

They sent it to me Next Day Air (overnight) for free! Solid!


post #7 of 678
RMS8,
Thanks for the picture... I have a VPL-HS60 which is very similar to your pj, I was very curious in knowing how much of an improvement this new pj is in terms of brightness, black level, color, etc...
Thanks!
post #8 of 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by arango1 View Post

RMS8,
Thanks for the picture... I have a VPL-HS60 which is very similar to your pj, I was very curious in knowing how much of an improvement this new pj is in terms of brightness, black level, color, etc...
Thanks!


Yeah, when I got the -HS51, a few weeks later the -HS51A came out. Then less than a year later the HS60.

To say that it's a dramatic difference would be a severe understatement! The image really seems to jump off the screen at you. I was very pleased with my HS51, REALLY. But I knew it was getting long in the tooth and the tech for 1080 had dropped so drastically.

I've had the luxury of having a VPL-VW100 and 200 in my theater for a week or two each (i do the HT thing on the side). Each time I was very impressed with the picture these PJ provided compared to mine. I can't give a fair comparison of my new HW15 to the 100 or 200 (it was a few years ago), but just firing up the X-box (on the HW15) and seeing the main screen was a VAST improvement. I say the X-box because that main menu screen would be a constant, while a movie would be more dynamic in regards to a comparison, unless I was watching the same scene over and over again to commit it to memory.

All I can say is it throws a remarkable picture. My wife actually noticed a huge improvement, and she is not into this "hobby" at all. HDTV programming is better, movies are better. They all seem so much more vivid and have so much more depth! Having a 10' wide screen enabled me to see the pixel structure on very bright scenes with the HS51. Not anymore! (yes, I sit plenty far back - 17' for the front row alone).

If you can fit it into you buget, GET IT! Given the fact that it's actually $500 LESS than the model it replaces, it's practically a steal!
post #9 of 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post


Yeah, when I got the -HS51, a few weeks later the -HS51A came out. Then less than a year later the HS60.

To say that it's a dramatic difference would be a severe understatement! The image really seems to jump off the screen at you. I was very pleased with my HS51, REALLY. But I knew it was getting long in the tooth and the tech for 1080 had dropped so drastically.

I've had the luxury of having a VPL-VW100 and 200 in my theater for a week or two each (i do the HT thing on the side). Each time I was very impressed with the picture these PJ provided compared to mine. I can't give a fair comparison of my new HW15 to the 100 or 200 (it was a few years ago), but just firing up the X-box (on the HW15) and seeing the main screen was a VAST improvement. I say the X-box because that main menu screen would be a constant, while a movie would be more dynamic in regards to a comparison, unless I was watching the same scene over and over again to commit it to memory.

All I can say is it throws a remarkable picture. My wife actually noticed a huge improvement, and she is not into this "hobby" at all. HDTV programming is better, movies are better. They all seem so much more vivid and have so much more depth! Having a 10' wide screen enabled me to see the pixel structure on very bright scenes with the HS51. Not anymore! (yes, I sit plenty far back - 17' for the front row alone).

If you can fit it into you buget, GET IT! Given the fact that it's actually $500 LESS than the model it replaces, it's practically a steal!

Wow, thanks for the description... I am particularly interested only now in LCOS / SXRD technologies because I am very sensitive to SDE, in fact it will almost ruin a movie for me! I have a 106" Carada Brilliant White and I would love to site closer to it. I was leaning toward a JVC, but for the price, this is going to be hard to beat...

Thanks!
Vic
post #10 of 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by arango1 View Post

Wow, thanks for the description... I am particularly interested only now in LCOS / SXRD technologies because I am very sensitive to SDE, in fact it will almost ruin a movie for me! I have a 106" Carada Brilliant White and I would love to site closer to it. I was leaning toward a JVC, but for the price, this is going to be hard to beat...

Thanks!
Vic

Here are my 2c about SDE on LCOS. SXRD and DILA have the highest fillrate of all the digital projectors, and SDE is virtually non-existant. I think you would have to put your nose to the screen to see it. The pixel to pixel gap is very small. It adds a unique look to LCOS that I prefer, some call it 'film-like'. I have a Sony SXRD A3000 series TV for ref.
post #11 of 678
I just committed the ultimate sin...IMPULSE BUY!!

Just ordered an HW15 from SonyStyle with cable and taxes for $3434.
24 months no interest on my Sony Style card works out to $130 a month.

I'll post pics as soon as I can!
post #12 of 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by THXessive View Post

I just committed the ultimate sin...IMPULSE BUY!!

Just ordered an HW15 from SonyStyle with cable and taxes for $3434.
24 months no interest on my Sony Style card works out to $130 a month.

I'll post pics as soon as I can!


AHGGGGGGGGGGGGGG !!!


I wish you would have read my POSTS !!!!!!!

I purchased the SAME VPL-HW15 from Crutchfield for $2499 SHIPPED , and Next-Day-Air to boot !!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and it was ALSO 24 months 0% interest!

Can you cancel that order?
post #13 of 678
hey rms8

Yeah I can cancel the order within 24 hours.
I called Crutchfield.
They have it listed for $2799 and claim to have never reduced price on that.
And they only offer 6 months financing. Sony Style is offering 24 months.

If you can gimme some info, I can go to Crutchfield with a reference #

I bought mine for 2999+taxes and a 16' cable.

Basically paying 200 more than you but have 24 months to pay!

Oh well...congrats on your better deal!

(Let the screenshot wars begin!!!!)
post #14 of 678
Another update!
Sony matched Crutchfield's current price of 2799.
And I got to keep the 24 months!
post #15 of 678
I upgraded to a 1080p PJ last November (from a 720p DLP). Even with a non-LCoS PJ, the pixel structure (SDE) is virtually non-existent at anything greater than 8' from a 106" screen. I focus mine by walking up to 6" of my screen and focus so that the pixels are absolutely in sharp focus (motorized zoom & focus is really nice). With the new LCoS panels (Sony & JVC) the pixels virtually disappear, from what I've read.

You guys have me very jealous.
post #16 of 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by THXessive View Post

hey rms8

Yeah I can cancel the order within 24 hours.
I called Crutchfield.
They have it listed for $2799 and claim to have never reduced price on that.
And they only offer 6 months financing. Sony Style is offering 24 months.

If you can gimme some info, I can go to Crutchfield with a reference #

I bought mine for 2999+taxes and a 16' cable.

Basically paying 200 more than you but have 24 months to pay!

Oh well...congrats on your better deal!

(Let the screenshot wars begin!!!!)



It may be because Crutchfield was trying to honor the deal I had been witing for since June. Below is a copy/paste from another thread :



Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post


Ship To: Robert S********
*************
**********, IL 60542
***********
Email:*********
Item Description Ship Qty B/O Qty Price Amount
158VPLHW15 Sony VPL-HW15 1080p SXRD Home Theater Projector 1 0 2,499.99 2,499.99
000HOMECAT Current Home Catalog Bounceback 1 0 0.00 0.00
000PIPENV Envelope barcode Outgoing pack Outgoing packages 1 0 0.00 0.00
Sub Total: 2,499.99
Shipping: FREE
Total: 2,499.99


The back story :

I had discovered that they actually had the lowest price I could find on the VPL-HW10 and with 0% interest for 24 months, how can you go wrong? I placed that order back in June knowing it was on backorder. I assumed it would only be a few weeks, which eventually turned into a few months! It worked to my advantage though! Sony discontinued the -HW10 and replaced it with the -HW15, so Crutchfield said they would just honor the terms for the backordered -10. Can't wait! And 3 weeks ahead of schedule!
post #17 of 678
If anyone cares to take note of some of the service menu settings on the HW15, I'd love to see.

Specifically the settings for the DI.

I had suggested last year the HW10 was capable of better ON/OFF contrast under DI by closing down the iris on dark scenes.

The improvement of the ON/OFF contrast on the HW15 over the HW10 is probably due to a number of enhancements. But given the increase in on/off contrast I could get with the HW10, I wonder if some iris adjustments during dark scenes is part of the HW15 equation.

Does the HW15 offer Image Director access to the gamma settings?

BTW... My HW10 is still chugging right along and I'm still running off my original calibration.

Best wishes to all of the new HW15 owners!
post #18 of 678
Byte have not seen you post in a while. Welcome back.

The HW15 looks like it has 2x the native CR of the HW10

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post17106327
post #19 of 678
Thanks...

It's like the swallows returning to Capistrano.



Having just caught up some reading, the HW15 appears to have the VW80 light engine, which has an inherent contrast improvement, and the VW85 light engine is better still.

Thanks
post #20 of 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post

I posted the below in a different thread. I got my -HW15 yesterday after it was overnighted (all shipping was FUH-REEE) to me. After initial install/hookup I am blown away by the difference in image quality over my previous Sony VPL-HS51. I wasn't too surprised though.

Very interested to hear what you think of the unit. I have a older VPL-VW50 I am thinking of upgrading. Just curious if this would be a huge upgrade. And I see the VPL-200 are on sale for under 5K now, which is also tempting but I am also curious to see what the HW15 has to offer as well. Not sure if you really need the "MoFlo" 120Hz on PJs as I never really saw the digital artifacting issues you might see on some other flat panel TVs.
post #21 of 678
Hey guys,

This is my first time to the website. I'm building a house and about to buy a pj for the basement. I've never owned one, so I'm doing my research.

The HW15 is new, and has a higher resolution and next-generation iris over the VW60, yet the VW60 is $2,000 more expensive. What am I missing here? Does the VW60 excel is areas the HW15 doesn't?

Any input on this would be very helpful. Thanks!

P.S. Sony Style tech. support knows nothing about the new projector; very frustrating.
post #22 of 678
shane_2432 - First of all welcome to the forum! I would call The AVS store ( Icon on the top of this page). They are an authorized Sony E-tailor and know alot about the VW60. They do home theater builds, so they can help with setting your projector up. Also, they can professionally calibrate your projector for a reasonable fee. Ask for Jason. Hope this helps.
post #23 of 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_2432 View Post

Hey guys,

This is my first time to the website. I'm building a house and about to buy a pj for the basement. I've never owned one, so I'm doing my research.

The HW15 is new, and has a higher resolution and next-generation iris over the VW60, yet the VW60 is $2,000 more expensive. What am I missing here? Does the VW60 excel is areas the HW15 doesn't?

Any input on this would be very helpful. Thanks!

P.S. Sony Style tech. support knows nothing about the new projector; very frustrating.

I am interested in this unit and the VPL-VW85, but there is a huge difference in cost. I am currently using a VPL-VW50 as I am sure I will give up some features verses the 50 and the HW15, the picture quality I am sure has improved. I can get such a great deal on the HW15 I am tempted as well. I am just curious where the 85 will come in on price as 8K is way too expensive these days.

You can compare specs here:

http://www.aboutprojectors.com/Sony-...projector.html

http://www.aboutprojectors.com/Sony-...projector.html

http://www.aboutprojectors.com/Sony-...projector.html
post #24 of 678
I bought the HW-15 along with the Sharp XV-Z15000 and Benq W6000. I thought it was doubtful that I would keep it as I was a DLP guy. The sharp has gone back (great picture but not enough lumens in cinema mode and not enough zoom range - the combination of which meant I couldn't do 2.35:1 CIH). I still have the Benq W6000 but it is likely to go back on monday for ONE key reason - because I can hear the high pitched tone made by the iris electronics. The first Sony came with a broken lens shift, but I managed to test it by propping it up on enough boxes that it worked in its stuck lens position.

My feelings on the HW15:
The fact that a replacement HW15 came in yesterday should be an initial hint

Picture quality is great. It has many of the aspects I like about DLP: Rich dynamic picture with a lot of depth. Outstanding color and deep blacks with good shadow detail. Rarely (if ever) do I visually notice the iris working - and I never hear it! The projector itself is effectively silent.

I have watched about 20 hours of movies and tv on the HW-15 so far. This includes Dark Night, Sunshine, Corpse Bride, Ratatouille, King Kong (ABC HD), NFL Football, Dancing with the stars, etc. The best way to describe the picture is how Art of projectorreviews.com described it in comparing it to the W6000: Refined.

If I can put my feelings in perspective, I have refused to buy anything Sony for years (other than an HDcam), because I always fet there was better out there.
post #25 of 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganross View Post

I bought the HW-15 along with the Sharp XV-Z15000 and Benq W6000. I thought it was doubtful that I would keep it as I was a DLP guy. The sharp has gone back (great picture but not enough lumens in cinema mode and not enough zoom range - the combination of which meant I couldn't do 2.35:1 CIH). I still have the Benq W6000 but it is likely to go back on monday for ONE key reason - because I can hear the high pitched tone made by the iris electronics. The first Sony came with a broken lens shift, but I managed to test it by propping it up on enough boxes that it worked in its stuck lens position.

My feelings on the HW15:
The fact that a replacement HW15 came in yesterday should be an initial hint

Picture quality is great. It has many of the aspects I like about DLP: Rich dynamic picture with a lot of depth. Outstanding color and deep blacks with good shadow detail. Rarely (if ever) do I visually notice the iris working - and I never hear it! The projector itself is effectively silent.

I have watched about 20 hours of movies and tv on the HW-15 so far. This includes Dark Night, Sunshine, Corpse Bride, Ratatouille, King Kong (ABC HD), NFL Football, Dancing with the stars, etc. The best way to describe the picture is how Art of projectorreviews.com described it in comparing it to the W6000: Refined.

If I can put my feelings in perspective, I have refused to buy anything Sony for years (other than an HDcam), because I always fet there was better out there.

Thanks for your thoughts on this unit. As I am thinking of buying one, I am sure I will give up some small features my VPL-VW50 has, but with higher lumens better blacks and a killer price I don't know how I could go wrong. The VPL-VW85 looks very promising but I can't see spending another 5K+ depending on discounts on some thing that has a few better features. The whole 120hz and 240hz is a numbers game that manufactures are taking advantage of, but in the PJ market I haven't seen too many decent PJ with motion artifacting, but then again I haven't been looking.

So, I take it "Sony" PJ isn't going anywhere soon!
post #26 of 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganross View Post

I bought the HW-15 along with the Sharp XV-Z15000 and Benq W6000. I thought it was doubtful that I would keep it as I was a DLP guy. The sharp has gone back (great picture but not enough lumens in cinema mode and not enough zoom range - the combination of which meant I couldn't do 2.35:1 CIH). I still have the Benq W6000 but it is likely to go back on monday for ONE key reason - because I can hear the high pitched tone made by the iris electronics. The first Sony came with a broken lens shift, but I managed to test it by propping it up on enough boxes that it worked in its stuck lens position.

My feelings on the HW15:
The fact that a replacement HW15 came in yesterday should be an initial hint

Picture quality is great. It has many of the aspects I like about DLP: Rich dynamic picture with a lot of depth. Outstanding color and deep blacks with good shadow detail. Rarely (if ever) do I visually notice the iris working - and I never hear it! The projector itself is effectively silent.

I have watched about 20 hours of movies and tv on the HW-15 so far. This includes Dark Night, Sunshine, Corpse Bride, Ratatouille, King Kong (ABC HD), NFL Football, Dancing with the stars, etc. The best way to describe the picture is how Art of projectorreviews.com described it in comparing it to the W6000: Refined.

If I can put my feelings in perspective, I have refused to buy anything Sony for years (other than an HDcam), because I always fet there was better out there.

Good honest opions their loganross.I'am glad you found what the problem was with the sony.Looks to be a great fp.Does it have enough light for sports though with some ambient light.Thanks
post #27 of 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

I am sure I will give up some small features my VPL-VW50 has,

I believe the only features you're going to miss is the Image Director Software. However, I really did not miss it on the HW10. One can still achieve excellent calibration of white balance and modest improvements to color tracking. The HW15 is said to have better factory color tracking out of the box than the HW10.

For me, the only reason I would even consider something other than the HW15 is the frame interpolation of the JVC RS15.
post #28 of 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

I believe the only features you're going to miss is the Image Director Software. However, I really did not miss it on the HW10. One can still achieve excellent calibration of white balance and modest improvements to color tracking. The HW15 is said to have better factory color tracking out of the box than the HW10.

For me, the only reason I would even consider something other than the HW15 is the frame interpolation of the JVC RS15.

Thanks for the info, as the VPL-VW50 has been excellent so far, and it is ISF Calibrated which should help if I decided to sell it. My question really is how much better is the VPL-VW85 than the HW-15, some say it wasn't at the Cedia show for a reason, they didn't want it to compete against it's big brother because it would have been a very close race. Speculation of course, but I just don't know if I can justify the extra 5K or more. I wish some one had both of these for comparison.
post #29 of 678
Did some more testing last night. I am not sure if it is the excess image noise of the W6000 - its really really noticeable, but (watching Mummy 3), the HW15 has far more detail. Shocking since Benq is known for sharpness. This difference shows itself in more complex scenes - up close scenes are not as much of an issue.

On the other hand, the W6000 picture was smoother and motion was handled better. I really enjoyed watching the W6000. It was a tough decision, but because I can hear the Iris electronics in the W6000 and it is very very distracting to me, it is going back tomorrow.

The HW-15 is not out of the woods yet, I will test it against the Infocus SP8602 shortly and my final selection will be made. The Infocus is more expensive (although less than the RS15). It also has a 5 year warranty and all infocus models seem to have a great rep.

Bottom line, the HW15 is a great machine and may very well be the one I stay with.

PS, there are enough lumens on the HW15 to watch sports with ambient light. Keep in mind that in my setup I am talking about high-hats pointing down - not giant windows opposite the screen.
post #30 of 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

My question really is how much better is the VPL-VW85 than the HW-15, some say it wasn't at the Cedia show for a reason.

Is the VW85 worth $8k versus the HW15 $3k? IMHO, no.

$5k for the VW85? Maybe yes, because you get a range of features and some extra performance. However, unless the MotionFlow performance of the VW85 is superior to the VW80, I would still look at the JVC RS15 & 25 as the next steps up from the HS15.

It will be interesting to see the street price on the VW85.

I was one of the few VW80 buyers from a seller in Australia last year, which cost around $4000 shipped, thanks to the weak AUD$ at the time. That was a great deal. If I had been able to sell my HW10 at the time, I would have kept the VW80. But I would not have paid the US MSRP or street price for the VW80. It just wasn't that much better because the MotionFlow had some quirks.

I have my HW10 back on the market again and either the HW15 and RS15 would be my next projector if the HW10 sells.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Official Sony VPL-HW15 Thread