or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Providence, RI - Cox
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Providence, RI - Cox - Page 30

post #871 of 980
The switch to SDV already happened right? I already had installed the TA and I have noticed no changes, all channels are still working that were listed on the back side of the letter that I actually get with my package. Most were international If I remember right
post #872 of 980
Mike can I ask a stupid question...are you a ham radio operator (I saw your member name)?
post #873 of 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoREvanescence View Post

The switch to SDV already happened right? I already had installed the TA and I have noticed no changes, all channels are still working that were listed on the back side of the letter that I actually get with my package. Most were international If I remember right

Is the light on the front of your TA flashing or solid. Mine is flashing so I don't know if SDV is turned up yet.
post #874 of 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJP11 View Post


Is the light on the front of your TA flashing or solid. Mine is flashing so I don't know if SDV is turned up yet.

Mine has been flashing since the day I set it up. All channels are working as they should (with a Ceton PC tuner card) and tech support confirmed that everything appears to he working properly.
post #875 of 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoREvanescence View Post

The switch to SDV already happened right? I already had installed the TA and I have noticed no changes, all channels are still working that were listed on the back side of the letter that I actually get with my package. Most were international If I remember right

If you take the tuning adapter off do you still get all the channels you should?
post #876 of 980
If your tuning adapter is flashing, you are not locked in.


If you are on SDV, channel 1 will display On Demand previews.


Quick question.......is channel 111 coming in?
post #877 of 980
You should be good, after a power cycle if needed, now.
post #878 of 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by miadlor View Post

You should be good, after a power cycle if needed, now.

Thanks for this info; not sure what the issue was, but after a power cycle of my TA the light is now steady and I'm receiving channel 111. Strange, but glad to know it's all good now!
post #879 of 980
So it seems COX NH just flipped the SDV switch.

Back in October I got a letter stating on November 7th, all channels listed will be converted to SDV and I would need to get a Tuning Adapter.

I did, but I was unsure if the tuning adapter was working properly, I was under the impression from reading posts in this thread it was not as the yellow light was blinking. But I still was receiving all my channels so I thought it must be working fine and I don't know why that light is blinking.

Well, as of this morning, none of the channels listed on the SDV sheet come in. They just give a message about there is a problem with the signal on this channel.

I have tried to power cycle the tuning adapter, the tivo but nothing seems to be working by doing just that.


Edit: I contacted cox, it seams my tuning adapter just needed to be sent a hit and now it's working
in the menu's it shows a turning adapter is attached.

Anyone know what I should try to get these channels working with my tivo premiere?
post #880 of 980
Hi everyone,


Quick Question, I have had trouble over the past year or so Receiving what was the Versus, now NBC sports network, channel 1139. the SD version comes in fine but the HD version does not. Does anyone else have this issue? Thanks
post #881 of 980
Hey, Anybody ever heard of RI FIOS?

No, TA
post #882 of 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe3 View Post

Hey, Anybody ever heard of RI FIOS?

No, TA

As in from Verizon?

I get mailings to sign up for it weekly in pawtucket, but when ever I have looked into it it's just internet and you get tv through a partnership through Direct TV. Fios TV wasn't available. Haven't looked to see if that has changed over the last few months.
post #883 of 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by eton rifles View Post

Hi everyone,


Quick Question, I have had trouble over the past year or so Receiving what was the Versus, now NBC sports network, channel 1139. the SD version comes in fine but the HD version does not. Does anyone else have this issue? Thanks

The QAM channel for 1139 is at 69MHz, so it's really low in frequency. If you have a splitter or amp which is cutting off the low end of the spectrum, it could be that. You could also be suffering issues with ingress degrading this channel. (Something causing noise into it)
post #884 of 980
Anyone hear anything about Cox providing some 3D content? Sounds like there are a few areas around the country, but I'm not hearing anything locally.
post #885 of 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAN818 View Post

Anyone hear anything about Cox providing some 3D content? Sounds like there are a few areas around the country, but I'm not hearing anything locally.


There was a Cox 3D channel but that has disappeared from my guide. Anybody else notice this?
post #886 of 980
Thumbs down on Cox putting WJAR programming now on their "Rhode Island News Channel." Channel 10's news has gone so far downhill that the sole reason they remain #1 in this market has to be the elderly populace that continues to watch them. It's like an inbred part of RI that people watch WJAR even though their reporting and overall presentation is such a joke. (If you haven't seen their embarrassing 7pm newscast with Dan Jaehnig and Allison Bologna, tune in and try to make it through a whole show. Their constant laughter at each other even when doing "sad" stories is nearly like watching a couple of college kids on public access goofing off).
post #887 of 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post

There was a Cox 3D channel but that has disappeared from my guide. Anybody else notice this?

The 3D Channel is only accessible days before, during, or shortly after an event. It's not a permanent station and is only turned on when something is upcoming. Most recently the Sony Open was available in 3D which is why you probably saw it.
post #888 of 980
I watched the Sony in HD, not knowing it was available in 3D. Did Cox promote it at all? I don't remember seeing anything.
post #889 of 980
My brother-in-law is moving to Providence. Unfortunately, he is a die-hard Yankee fan. Can someone confirm for me that in Providence he will get Yes network on Cox and that he will be able to see the Yankees?? He's gotten 4 different answers from 4 different CSRs.

TIA

SMK
post #890 of 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAN818 View Post

I watched the Sony in HD, not knowing it was available in 3D. Did Cox promote it at all? I don't remember seeing anything.

It was promoted through their Facebook page. Most 3D events in the past have been very last minute calls, so typically a message on the bill is not feasible. Follow Cox New England on FB and Twitter, and you'll be able to keep up with the breaking news.
post #891 of 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

My brother-in-law is moving to Providence. Unfortunately, he is a die-hard Yankee fan. Can someone confirm for me that in Providence he will get Yes network on Cox and that he will be able to see the Yankees?? He's gotten 4 different answers from 4 different CSRs.

TIA

SMK

Looks like it is available, although he'd have to be doing HD and the Sports package.

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/rhode...nel-lineup.cox

(of course I can't predict the content on YESHD and I've never WANTED to watch the Yankees, so can't confirm that it airs on Yes here...)

~gs2gf
post #892 of 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow2GoFast View Post

Looks like it is available, although he'd have to be doing HD and the Sports package.

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/rhode...nel-lineup.cox

(of course I can't predict the content on YESHD and I've never WANTED to watch the Yankees, so can't confirm that it airs on Yes here...)

~gs2gf

The full answer to the question is yes, YES is offered in Rhode Island, however due to MLB regional broadcast restrictions, no live games or replays on game day are playing on the YES Network in the Rhode Island area.

His best bet would be to get the MLB Extra Innings package which would get him approximately 85% of the Yankees games, but as of last season this package is not currently offered in HD. Visit http://www.indemand.com/sports/mlb/ for blackout and pricing details as we get closer to baseball season.
post #893 of 980
To further clarify, there are two YES networks. One is the New York Regional one, which carries the Yankees games, and the other is the national feed. (Yes, YES is seen on cable systems nationwide). As stated before, you can thank the MLB rules for why Cox is carrying the national feed instead of the NY regional feed. Cox didn't have a say in it, unfortunatley.
post #894 of 980
Thanks for the info but not what he's going to want to hear.

SMK
post #895 of 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

Thanks for the info but not what he's going to want to hear.

SMK

There's no pleasing Yankee fans
post #896 of 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIGuy29 View Post

There's no pleasing Yankee fans

Hey! I'm pleased. I just listen to them on the local radio station!
post #897 of 980
What can I say. I'm not a Yankee fan either, but he did grow up in NY.

SMK
post #898 of 980
Sure looking likely that WPRI and WNAC get dropped from Cox tomorrow night at 11:59... if you read up on other LIN owned local stations they play hardball and force Cox to give in and pay into their demands. A recent standoff saw Cox hold out for 6 weeks before giving in.

Dust off your antennas if you don't already use one...

Ironically for me it's nearly as easy to pull in WBZ and WFXT which are both light years ahead of WPRI/WNAC and there is a noticable difference in picture quality. The only thing you don't get is local news of course.
post #899 of 980
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

Sure looking likely that WPRI and WNAC get dropped from Cox tomorrow night at 11:59... if you read up on other LIN owned local stations they play hardball and force Cox to give in and pay into their demands. A recent standoff saw Cox hold out for 6 weeks before giving in.

Dust off your antennas if you don't already use one...

Ironically for me it's nearly as easy to pull in WBZ and WFXT which are both light years ahead of WPRI/WNAC and there is a noticable difference in picture quality. The only thing you don't get is local news of course.

if we loose WPRI/WNAC I am going to party as why should cox pay more to have wpri/wnac then they pay to carry wlne/wjar screw LIN but that might push me to get rid of cox tv and keep there phone and internet anyway i can see were cox does not want to pay but if wpri and wnac is gone drop the price for basic cable less channels equal less cable
post #900 of 980
Posted on Cox's site:
Quote:


We are pleased to announce that Cox has reached an agreement with LIN TV Corporation, owner of WPRI and WNAC to continue to carry the stations on Cox's lineup. As a result of the agreement, there will not be an interruption in service and Cox customers can continue to view programming on these channels.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Providence, RI - Cox