or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › New heatpipe and fanless HTPC case designs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New heatpipe and fanless HTPC case designs - Page 4

post #91 of 132
Add some hi-res photos with three different system (core i3/E5200/X3 705e)Please check site fore more details.




post #92 of 132
When are you expecting product to sell?
post #93 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by facke02 View Post

When are you expecting product to sell?

Early Feb for retail. For more information about the chassis, please check the faq section. Thanks.
post #94 of 132
Any updates on availability?
post #95 of 132
The FAQ states heatpipe availability on ION MBs. When will this be available? Any news on when we can order?
post #96 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizarroTerl View Post

The FAQ states heatpipe availability on ION MBs. When will this be available? Any news on when we can order?

Heatsink on ION won't be available for the first batch.
First batch will be on ship next week.
A few units will be shipped here via express for review purpose.

Thanks for the patience.
post #97 of 132
The H5.S has 2 windows on the front panel. Is one the IR receiver and the other the power LED?
post #98 of 132
The middle one is for IR receiver and right corner one for USB port.
post #99 of 132
It might be just me but your 3rd pic doesn't show up here. Also It'd be really nice if you had a port to add an IR reciever outside of the box. This is a great product and looks good but it doesn't have anything on the front and is kinda pointless to have in sight. I imagine mounting this behind my enterainment stand or even my plasma if its thin enough. I could have the machine completely out of view but right next to the TV.
post #100 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm0424 View Post

It might be just me but your 3rd pic doesn't show up here. Also It'd be really nice if you had a port to add an IR reciever outside of the box. This is a great product and looks good but it doesn't have anything on the front and is kinda pointless to have in sight. I imagine mounting this behind my enterainment stand or even my plasma if its thin enough. I could have the machine completely out of view but right next to the TV.

Link fixed. You mean a USB port for the third-party IR for users who does not like the internal IR? H5.S has a USB port at the right corner.

I would think this chassis is too heavy/thick for mounting behind the PDP. For internal IR to work well, you need to keep the the IR port in sight.
post #101 of 132
so pardon my noobness but is this only a chassis without the hardware - so I am getting the case for 250$ and nothing inside?
post #102 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwill View Post

so pardon my noobness but is this only a chassis without the hardware - so I am getting the case for 250$ and nothing inside?

Yes. MSRP includes the chassis and heatsink system only.
post #103 of 132
so roughly how much money to be spend on the more basic and temp friendly hardware for a wifi hd audio/video capable media centre, without the hdd and bd?
any suggestions on what config should I get to see if it fits my budget? thanx a lot!
post #104 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwill View Post

so roughly how much money to be spend on the more basic and temp friendly hardware for a wifi hd audio/video capable media centre, without the hdd and bd?
any suggestions on what config should I get to see if it fits my budget? thanx a lot!

That depends on what OS, applications, how you plan on using it, what you perceive as too slow, how much you want to fiddle around with software/hardware, etc, etc, etc.
post #105 of 132
i told u what i want...fiddlying around with soft has nothing to do with hardware...
ok os will be windows 7 and i will be running total theatre3 + some dlna clientv/server, twonky xmbc and i need 1080p playback and true hd audio decode to lpcm capable hardware. ram is irrelevant its cheap then Ill need a mainboard and cpu +gpu and power(without hdd bd)...so what do i need and how much would it cost?
post #106 of 132
Wow. Just, wow....
These are absolutely beautiful!
I know what my NEXT htpc will look like.
post #107 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by lymzy View Post

Link fixed. You mean a USB port for the third-party IR for users who does not like the internal IR? H5.S has a USB port at the right corner.

I would think this chassis is too heavy/thick for mounting behind the PDP. For internal IR to work well, you need to keep the the IR port in sight.

I meant for a port to connect an ir reciever. It's a standard 3.5" port so users could connect it to something like this, then you could sell a similar product as an accessory and increase your profit.
http://sewelldirect.com/Intelix-DIGI...572d3130383830
post #108 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm0424 View Post

I meant for a port to connect an ir reciever. It's a standard 3.5" port so users could connect it to something like this, then you could sell a similar product as an accessory and increase your profit.
http://sewelldirect.com/Intelix-DIGI...572d3130383830

How would you wire the port to the motherboard?
post #109 of 132
First off, great job on the case design and price point. The minimalist exterior is a refreshing change to all the junk cases with lights, knobs, touch screens etc.

When are they available?
they look like 2 rack units, or are they one unit?
Is there a rack ear option?
will it support LGA1156 Intel H55 chipset microATX ? If so which boards?


Thanks
post #110 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaireroad View Post

How would you wire the port to the motherboard?


It looks like an IR head which rely on a IR PCB to function. The PCB would wire coonect to internal USB port on motherboard.

Since I provide an internal IR w/MCE remote option, I have not designed the 3.5mm port on the faceplate. I will offer faceplate with special cut slot for a premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaireroad View Post

When are they available?
they look like 2 rack units, or are they one unit?
Is there a rack ear option?
will it support LGA1156 Intel H55 chipset microATX ? If so which boards?


The first batch are on ship now. Transit time 20 days. I hate to promise ETA since it has been delayed for 3 times already.

The chassis body height is 60mm(internal clearance is 55mm) and faceplate is 68mm high. They are a little higher than 1U which is 44.5mm.

No rack ear option yet.


It support LGA1156 socket. I am using MSI H55-E33 with i3 530 on an H10.ODD unit. It should be compatible with most H55/H57 mATX boards as long as the heatsink for the solid capacitor on the MB does not block the path for the heatpipe.
post #111 of 132
The "first batch on ship" message at the website has been up for several weeks now. Were they lost in customs?
post #112 of 132
I guess that must be the proverbial "slow boat from China" I've heard about.
post #113 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizarroTerl View Post

I guess that must be the proverbial "slow boat from China" I've heard about.


The first batch was sent back for improvements in four minor areas base on the feedback as first impression is always important for a new product. The new ETA is late July.

Thanks for your patience.
post #114 of 132
Just waking this thread up again ...

I emailed Larry last month about the possibility of a slot-loading front plate to accommodate trayless drives. He indicated that they have a H5.SODD version in the pipeline with a center cut for a slot-loading optical drive, but no word back yet.

This looks like it will be THE ideal under-TV box for an HTPC. Reasonably priced (unlike the admittedly gorgeous atechfabrication ones - crazy prices there). The key will be if it can handle the typical components for a good HTPC ...

H55 LGA1156 micro-atx motherboard
trayless optical drive
heatpipes to eliminate all fans
small cut for IR receiver

D.
post #115 of 132
Any word on SPCR review??
I'd like a 3rd party to put it through its paces before I drop the cash on this.
Here's hoping it's everything I *think* it will be!
post #116 of 132
Sorry to bring back an old thread but it appeared there was significant interest at one point.

Here is my review on the H10.ODD http://www.missingremote.com/review/...anless-chassis
post #117 of 132
This is an interesting concept. I would be careful with my first build though. Faster processors may run into some problems with heat. Overclocking would probably be out of the question. Some trials with undervolting and even underclocking may make the thermal performance even better.
post #118 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXscreen View Post

This is an interesting concept. I would be careful with my first build though.

I wouldn't recommend for a first build either unless you have a friend who is more experience to help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXscreen View Post

Faster processors may run into some problems with heat. Overclocking would probably be out of the question. Some trials with undervolting and even underclocking may make the thermal performance even better.

Thank fully the trend we are seeing is faster, more powerful CPU on smaller die and with lower Max CPU TDP so I see the thermal performance improving myself.

In terms of real-world usage may vary...I used the H10.ODD for 2-weeks as my primary HTPC prior to recording to try and record "real" usage. For a HTPC there really is no real-world need to overclock. Give me stable, low power and "fast enough"
post #119 of 132
I've been considering one, but not having a list of currently available MBs is a stumbling block. Most MB mfgrs don't give detailed dimensions so getting a MB that fits is a bit of a crap shoot.
post #120 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizarroTerl View Post

I've been considering one, but not having a list of currently available MBs is a stumbling block. Most MB mfgrs don't give detailed dimensions so getting a MB that fits is a bit of a crap shoot.

I'm in the middle of putting a Sandy Bridge board in the H10.ODD right now (about half the screws out....) blog post up tomorrow on how well it does.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › New heatpipe and fanless HTPC case designs