Originally Posted by xradman
I got the projector yesterday and quickly set it up in place of my old Panasonic AE2000U. Because I used the same mount, the projector is slightly offset from ideal center by approximately 4-5". The projector is mounted approximately 14 feet back from a painted wall screen 12 feet wide. The seating position is directly under the projector 14 feet from the screen.
1. The projector is BRIGHT
. I had just replaced the lamp on the AE2000U, so comparing fresh bulb to fresh bulb, 8500 is bright as Dynamic mode on AE2000U in Living Room mode (second brightest mode) with better color. The projector is easily viewable in semi day light with overhead lights on in either the Living Room or Dynamic mode.
2. Convergence is very good. Using Nokia test pattern on my HTPC, convergence is less than pixel wide at the edges and better than on my AE2000.
3. Takes and displays 1080P60, 1080P50, 1080P25, 1080P24, 1080i60, 1080i50 inputs from my HTPC. Did not display 1080P30 however.
4. CFI works very well and settings are distinct for different input signal characteristics. For example, I can set it to OFF for 1080P24 and NORMAL for 1080i60 so that CRI is only displayed for my FIOS box and Blu-ray contents with 1080i60 video content.
1. The projector is louder than AE2000U in either Dynamic or Living Room mode. It is the loudest thing in my Home theater (louder than my PS3). You can definitely hear this projector during quiet passages.
2. Focus is uneven compared to AE2000U. It may be due to quality of the optics, but I can not get sharp focus throughout the entire screen. It is fortunately not noticeable from the seating position.
3. Remote is not as functional. Why have RGBCMY and Gamma button on the remote? It's not as if I'll be changing those functions on a frequent basis. Instead having direct selection of Memory settings or Signal input display would have been far preferable.
All in all, I am happy with the projector. The brightness of the projector and CFI with sports programming outweighs the downside of increased noise any day.