or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Remote Control Area › Harmony 700
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Harmony 700 - Page 20

post #571 of 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I've never tried it more than once with the same remote, but I think it's a one shot deal. Get the old harmony the way you like. "Upgrade" to the 650. All your devices transfer. But you still have a lot of work to do. Any custom buttons or sequences will have to be re-done. Not a good solution if you intend to make a lot of changes. Better to bite the bullet and get a model with all the device slots you need, like a One for example, or an older model or some other brand.

You're right -- sounds like a lot of work. I'd just get a ONE, but I don't like the missing hard buttons or the rechargeable/cradle. For me, the 650 is just about perfect, except for too few devices. I guess I'll live with the 650 as is for now, and see what new models show up in the future.
post #572 of 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culpepper View Post

You're right -- sounds like a lot of work. I'd just get a ONE, but I don't like the missing hard buttons or the rechargeable/cradle. For me, the 650 is just about perfect, except for too few devices. I guess I'll live with the 650 as is for now, and see what new models show up in the future.

The 650 and 700 feel really cheap once u see and feel the ONE in your hand, i returned the 700 just because of that, it felt like im holding a cheap piece of plastic, the screen was terrible too.

i dont like the fact that the ONE has a rechargeable battery vs me using my own batteries but oh well.. its a great remote otherwise, highly recommended.
post #573 of 681
Interesting, my original 700 had to get replaced via via warranty. The 700 I received from Logitech felt a lot better in hardware quality versus the one I originally purchased from Best Buy Canada. I have them both side by side, the original has been deactivated. Feeling them both and pressing the buttons the new one feels much better. Perhaps there is an updated revision or something?
post #574 of 681
I know it's an old thread, but re: charger....
- any 5V 1A charger will work as long as the data pins on the USB connection are shorted together
- similarly this trick will work connected to the PC, but bear in mind that it may attempt to draw more than 500mA so you should be sure your USB port will limit it (most do)

All this "specific charger" nonsense should be outlawed.....
post #575 of 681
I purchased two Harmony 700 remotes from Best Buy back in Feb. One of them worked fine (bedroom), but the other unit (living room) had issues with the rewind and fast-forward buttons. So I took that defective remote back the following week and got a new one. Now on that one I've noticed the black coating on several buttons are rubbing off. So this is now two Harmony 700 remotes that have had some type of issue, but the one used in the bedroom is just fine and the black coating on the buttons are no rubbing off.
Has anyone else had this issue?
post #576 of 681
I've had mine a few years now and I have noticed that a few of the buttons located along the outer portion of the remote are showing signs of wear (black coating rubbed off). I plan on touching up with some black rubberized paint (plastidip). Mine took a long time before I started to notice this though.
post #577 of 681
Currently I haven't noticed the black coating on any buttons rubbed off. I am still surprised after generations of remote technology they still haven't invented a none rubbing out coating.
post #578 of 681
I looked at all the Harmonys. Does anyone know a good programmable remote with bigger buttons for seniors? I saw a few but they're the size of a dictionary and ridiculous.
post #579 of 681
Have a ? Regarding 700. How do I input a delay between power on for the devices in activities? My tv takes 5 sec or so to warm up and in the receiver turns on before it it doesn't always work. It needs to be turned on in this order tv, receiver, cable or gaming or blu-ray. Sorry if this has been asked I skimmed through the thread and didn't see if this was answered.
post #580 of 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiz20 View Post

Have a ? Regarding 700. How do I input a delay between power on for the devices in activities? My tv takes 5 sec or so to warm up and in the receiver turns on before it it doesn't always work. It needs to be turned on in this order tv, receiver, cable or gaming or blu-ray. Sorry if this has been asked I skimmed through the thread and didn't see if this was answered.

It's been a long time since I used the software but I do specifically remember that there is a section where you pick the order that you want things to turn on and off. Wish I could tell you exactly where it is.
post #581 of 681
You are correct about the order, that part I have correct on the remote, I was wondering if there is a way to put a pause in between the powering on of the devices? For example send the power on for the tv, wait 5 sec, send the power on for the receiver, wait 5 sec, etc.
post #582 of 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiz20 View Post

You are correct about the order, that part I have correct on the remote, I was wondering if there is a way to put a pause in between the powering on of the devices? For example send the power on for the tv, wait 5 sec, send the power on for the receiver, wait 5 sec, etc.
Try this.
On the remote, press and hold the Help button at the top for 7 seconds.
The screen will ask Yes to continue.
Then select your device, such as TV, then Change Delay, Power On Delay, then you can change the seconds.
I have my Toshiba LCD/LED 32" I got last year set to 36 seconds, since it takes about 34 seconds to full boot before
it can accept remote codes.
You may have to change the delays for each device. It takes some tinkering, but does work.
post #583 of 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiz20 View Post

You are correct about the order, that part I have correct on the remote, I was wondering if there is a way to put a pause in between the powering on of the devices? For example send the power on for the tv, wait 5 sec, send the power on for the receiver, wait 5 sec, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post

Try this.
On the remote, press and hold the Help button at the top for 7 seconds.
The screen will ask Yes to continue.
Then select your device, such as TV, then Change Delay, Power On Delay, then you can change the seconds.
I have my Toshiba LCD/LED 32" I got last year set to 36 seconds, since it takes about 34 seconds to full boot before
it can accept remote codes.
You may have to change the delays for each device. It takes some tinkering, but does work.

FAUguy, that is not what shiz20 is looking to do. Power On Delay is just the amount of time between when the device is sent the power on command, and when its next command is sent to it. shiz20 on the other hand wants to place pauses between powering on different devices, which power On Delay will do nothing for.

shiz20, there is no way that I know of to add delays like you describe between powering on devices. Exactly what is it that you are trying to do or what problem are you having that you think this will help with?
post #584 of 681
That's the "inter-device" delay, and it's in the 7.7 software or members.

To the OP, rather than guessing what delays you think you need, you should do some actual testing and get the time delays and order correct before you change anything in the harmony config.
post #585 of 681
mdavej,

my understanding of the inter-device delay, which I also believe is terribly named, is the amount of time a device needs to process an ir signal and determine if it for it (or another device) and then ready itself for receiving another ir signal (ref: WannaBeActuary).

shiz20, from the problem you describe, you can (if using the 7.7 software) place the devices in the order you want them to power up for that activity. However, I see you have already done that. Are you saying that even with them in the order you want them to power up, you are still having problems?

I think that you should set your tv power on delay to say 6-7 sec, and ensure that the devices are arranged in the order you want them to be powered on in the 7.7 software. If still having problems, post back.
post #586 of 681
Right you are, bmurray. Thanks. I read "inter" but thought "intra". HERE's a good explanation of the different delays. FWIW, getting the Power-on delay right, usually does the trick for me.
post #587 of 681
Thanks for the responses, I got it working most of the time I'd say 85-90% of the time. I needed a delay because if my soundbar turned on before the tv powers up it sometimes wouldn't do the arc handshake. I am talking to Logitech to see if they can insert a delay between the power up commands. For the mean time I have a dummy device turning on in between the tv and soundbar. It seems to work around 85%-90% of the time now. I never have a problem fixing it when it happened before, but the misses couldn't figure it out and the phone calls at work were getting annoying. If I get an answer from Logitech ill post and let everyone know what they're solution is.
post #588 of 681
That to me, and more so my family would not be considered "working". If you search on ARC handshake you will find many others trying to get the function to work properly. Kind of similar to hdmi handshake issue with cable boxes. Just easier to run an optical cable and be done with it. But if your delay scheme works out for ya, bravo!
post #589 of 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurray716 View Post

That to me, and more so my family would not be considered "working". If you search on ARC handshake you will find many others trying to get the function to work properly. Kind of similar to hdmi handshake issue with cable boxes. Just easier to run an optical cable and be done with it. But if your delay scheme works out for ya, bravo!

+1

85 - 90% of the time is unacceptable to me. I would rather lose the ARC, run an optical and have it work 100% of the time. Call me "crazy" biggrin.gif
post #590 of 681
Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but how well does the 700 work with a Dish Network STB? It seems that there wouldn't be buttons for "View live TV", "Search", and "DVR", to name a few.
post #591 of 681
I use the 4 color buttons for those types of things. You can also use the Exit, Guide, Menu, and Info buttons if they don't have a corresponding use when watching DishTV.
post #592 of 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Deaf View Post

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but how well does the 700 work with a Dish Network STB? It seems that there wouldn't be buttons for "View live TV", "Search", and "DVR", to name a few.

I put DVR and LIve as the lower of the two buttons on the first page of the remote's screen. Works really well.

With the Hopper/Joey, you can't really reuse the colored buttons, as they are used for other functions. You can certainly put DVR and Live to the colored buttons, but then you'll lose the function of the colored button.
post #593 of 681
I have a ViP612, so the colored buttons don't do anything. Well Y and B will stretch and zoom, but the page buttons do that anyway. I guess I'll have to put the page buttons there also or in the enter and clear.

Can you assign those buttons in other modes also? I need extra buttons for my Oppo BD player also.
Edited by Hi Deaf - 3/23/13 at 6:02pm
post #594 of 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Deaf View Post

I have a ViP612, so the colored buttons don't do anything. Well Y and B will stretch and zoom, but the page buttons do that anyway. I guess I'll have to put the page buttons there also or in the enter and clear.

Can you assign those buttons in other modes also? I need extra buttons for my Oppo BD player also.

You can assign any button any command, that's the beauty of a universal remote
post #595 of 681
Hi all,

Is there a way to fix a loose usb connector? I can't reprogram my remote anymore since the connector is loose. I've been charging my batteries with an external charger. Please help!!

Thanks smile.gif
post #596 of 681
crack the case open and use a little jb weld to hold it in there.
post #597 of 681
I haven't success opening it up. I have taken the screws out and tried to pry the sides out. Maybe in being too gentle with it.
post #598 of 681
I wonder if the 900 comes apart similarly to the 700?
post #599 of 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post

I purchased two Harmony 700 remotes from Best Buy back in Feb. One of them worked fine (bedroom), but the other unit (living room) had issues with the rewind and fast-forward buttons. So I took that defective remote back the following week and got a new one. Now on that one I've noticed the black coating on several buttons are rubbing off. So this is now two Harmony 700 remotes that have had some type of issue, but the one used in the bedroom is just fine and the black coating on the buttons are no rubbing off.
Has anyone else had this issue?
Both of my 700 remotes I've had since Feb 2012, and the one used for the living room started to have the black rubber coating come off on some of the buttons back in December. Now, it had continued to get worse, and the most used button aren't working properly (volume, channel, menu, guide) since they "stick" and you have yo press them several times to get a response. Now I've noticed that on my 2nd 700 remote used in the bedroom, some of the black coating is coming off on two of its buttons (volume/channel).

Since it's past the 1 year manufacture warranty, I called the # for Geek Squad since I purchased a 2 year warranty. They pull it up in the system, and say that even through I purchased 2 identical remotes, only 1 two-year warranty was purchased. (I guess the woman working the store only sold me 1 warranty instead of 2 like I asked for). So now Geek Squad is saying I'd have to go to the store and speak to a manager to get this worked out. I called the store, just to see if they even sell the 700 remote, and was told it's discontinued and the "comparable" would be the 650. I remember there are some differences between the 650 and 700, such as how many devices it supports or the number of macros you can create?

In any case, I'm not pleased with the quality of the 700, with the black rubber coming off and the buttons failing. If they give me an in-store credit (since the 700 is discontinued), I'm wonder what would be a better remote to go with? At that time, the normal price of the 700 remote was $119, but they did a price-match for a competing store, which made the remotes $69 each.
post #600 of 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post

Both of my 700 remotes I've had since Feb 2012, and the one used for the living room started to have the black rubber coating come off on some of the buttons back in December. Now, it had continued to get worse, and the most used button aren't working properly (volume, channel, menu, guide) since they "stick" and you have yo press them several times to get a response. Now I've noticed that on my 2nd 700 remote used in the bedroom, some of the black coating is coming off on two of its buttons (volume/channel).

Since it's past the 1 year manufacture warranty, I called the # for Geek Squad since I purchased a 2 year warranty. They pull it up in the system, and say that even through I purchased 2 identical remotes, only 1 two-year warranty was purchased. (I guess the woman working the store only sold me 1 warranty instead of 2 like I asked for). So now Geek Squad is saying I'd have to go to the store and speak to a manager to get this worked out. I called the store, just to see if they even sell the 700 remote, and was told it's discontinued and the "comparable" would be the 650. I remember there are some differences between the 650 and 700, such as how many devices it supports or the number of macros you can create?

In any case, I'm not pleased with the quality of the 700, with the black rubber coming off and the buttons failing. If they give me an in-store credit (since the 700 is discontinued), I'm wonder what would be a better remote to go with? At that time, the normal price of the 700 remote was $119, but they did a price-match for a competing store, which made the remotes $69 each.
Hi FAUguy.

The 650 could adopt the account, with the settings unchanged, from the 700's account, and even accepts 6 devices when adopting a configuration for 700 using v7.7.0 software
(650 is normally limited to 5 devices, but think it's 6 devices with myharmony.com, although wouldn't recommend using that rolleyes.gif)
In practice I don't think there is a limit to the number of macros.

Apart from the wall charger and rechargeable AA batteries supplied with 700 the 650 is physically the same and also works just fine with rechargeables.
Our year old 650 still looks new but maybe rubber coatings can be degraded by oils in the skin, or perhaps dissolved by traces of cosmetics? or even just by age.
Even an MX500 felt 'sticky' after being stored for 6 years and I had the soles of an old pair of shoes fall apart when dug out of a cupboard!

The 'gemstone' keys on an older H659 (2006/8?), also on MX500, seem indestructible. That can carry 15 devices and has the 'sound' and 'picture' buttons too, so perhaps one of the peanut style Harmony models would suit as well. We are waiting for a URC R40 for a change, now the 'disappearing learns' problem has reputedly been cured by the v1.9 firmware. I still like the H650/700 colour screen and the hard buttons, so reckon the 650 would be the best exchange though.

Regards
Chris
Edited by idicev - 6/20/13 at 9:02am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Remote Control Area
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Remote Control Area › Harmony 700