or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › HTPC Gaming › Dragon Age: Origins in depth hands on preview
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dragon Age: Origins in depth hands on preview - Page 3

post #61 of 115
Thread Starter 
Please use spoilers if you're going to post about plot choices.
post #62 of 115
I fix the crashing probm. It does not like quad SLi with the 295's. Once I disabled SLi the games now runs fine in Dererin (sp?) whcih is the only place it crashes.

DaveFi ... what spoilers??? where you talking to me???

Also how do you set up SPOILERS options.
post #63 of 115
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

I fix the crashing probm. It does not like quad SLi with the 295's. Once I disabled SLi the games now runs fine in Dererin (sp?) whcih is the only place it crashes.

DaveFi ... what spoilers??? where you talking to me???

Also how do you set up SPOILERS options.

No, not you, I was talking to JoeNc as I hadn't reached that particular point yet.

As for spoilers, you need to do a [spoiler]text[/.spoiler] (without the "." of course). So, Not much of a spoiler, but there you go.
post #64 of 115
post #65 of 115
GRRR...Amazon literally changes their pricing by the minute. Dragon's Age has been $34.95 all day. I wanted to check it out and now that I have, I go back to buy it and it's $37.95. I know, not the end of the world, but 3 bucks is 3 bucks.
post #66 of 115
Thread Starter 
Don't feel so bad, my damn Sidewinder X8 mouse scroll-wheel broke (I haven't even owned it for half a year). It only goes up, not down. Well, back to MS it goes- I'm sure they'll send me a refurb in return.
post #67 of 115
I wanted to play this on PC, but the font size is making impossible to play..any fix? I'm on a 50" tv at 1080
post #68 of 115
This game is only $35 on amazon right now. Lowest I've seen yet.
post #69 of 115
there is also a mod out now for bigger screen fonts so you can play it on larger screens/higher res's

http://social.bioware.com/group/855/
post #70 of 115
Can someone tell me if you are required to keep the disc in the drive to play it? If so, I'll just buy it on Steam.
post #71 of 115
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfoolery_79 View Post

Can someone tell me if you are required to keep the disc in the drive to play it? If so, I'll just buy it on Steam.

Yes, it has a disc check, but that's it.
post #72 of 115
Ok, I bought this game on the Steam sale and so far, I LOVE IT. If you like Mass Effect, WoW and Lord of the Rings (movies or game) this game is for you.
I'm about 14 hours in. One of the reviewers (I think from PC GAMER) said he's played about 150 hours and isn't sick of it.

I feel like I have just scratched the surface. Anybody else playing this?
post #73 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfoolery_79 View Post

Ok, I bought this game on the Steam sale and so far, I LOVE IT. If you like Mass Effect, WoW and Lord of the Rings (movies or game) this game is for you.
I'm about 14 hours in. One of the reviewers (I think from PC GAMER) said he's played about 150 hours and isn't sick of it.

I feel like I have just scratched the surface. Anybody else playing this?

Heh... I have it installed but have failed to start a game, for the very reason you've given!

Any recommendation for best beginning character?
post #74 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Heh... I have it installed but have failed to start a game, for the very reason you've given!

Any recommendation for best beginning character?

I'll give a recommendation, but bare in mind that it's from someone who hasn't played thru and is only about 20% into the game.

I'd say mage for 2 reasons. 1) You are often time already surrounded by the sword and shield types. When you do have a mage NPC in your group, the AI doesn't use them worth a damn (maybe this is fixable, but I haven't tinkered with it yet). 2) Because you often have the sword and shield types, someone needs to control the crowd and do buffs while the AI warriors/rogues do their thing.

In fact, I'm halfway considering starting over and rerolling a mage.

On a side note, I started off as a dwarf warrior and it has been fun too.
post #75 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfoolery_79 View Post

I'll give a recommendation, but bare in mind that it's from someone who hasn't played thru and is only about 20% into the game.

I'd say mage for 2 reasons. 1) You are often time already surrounded by the sword and shield types. When you do have a mage NPC in your group, the AI doesn't use them worth a damn (maybe this is fixable, but I haven't tinkered with it yet). 2) Because you often have the sword and shield types, someone needs to control the crowd and do buffs while the AI warriors/rogues do their thing.

In fact, I'm halfway considering starting over and rerolling a mage.

On a side note, I started off as a dwarf warrior and it has been fun too.

Mage it is, thanks for the advice.

*deep breath* ...well, here I go - taking to plunge into Dragon Age: Origins.
post #76 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Mage it is, thanks for the advice.

*deep breath* ...well, here I go - taking to plunge into Dragon Age: Origins.

I've played most of the chars. and they are all fun, the AI gets better as you go, the higher your level the more "combat tactics" slots you, and your party members will have. This enables your party to much be more flexible, as they will have an option to switch weapons, cast spells, activate abilities, etc. for just about any situation. You can use one of several preset types, or make or customize your own.

FWIW I had the most fun being a Human noble, fighter, dual weapon tree.

PS. Save often, very often. This is Bioware we are talking about, nearly every conversation has repercussions, and you may find yourself wanting to change what you said
post #77 of 115
DaverJ, I'd probably listen more to Tony since he has played much more of it then I have. I have noticed that I die more often as a mage, so who knows...
I'm finding it doesn't really matter because it's an awesome game either way.

I agree to save often.
post #78 of 115
Well, I played a bit as a Mage last night and am liking the story. I got to what seems like the first big decision - help a young couple leave the Mage guild or turn them in. I told them to give me a minute to think about it so I could save the game.

I'm usually drawn to dual-wielding characters, but I think I'm going to stick with the Mage to see where this story goes.

It seems like it's going to be a great game - the graphic textures and colors are kinda "blah", and the character models are... well, it's a Bioware game. But the story, dialog and adventuring are what playing these games are all about, and this game delivers better than any other game. I don't know how far I will continue because of limited play time, but I want to play more, which is a good sign.
post #79 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Well, I played a bit as a Mage last night and am liking the story. I got to what seems like the first big decision - help a young couple leave the Mage guild or turn them in. I told them to give me a minute to think about it so I could save the game.

I'm usually drawn to dual-wielding characters, but I think I'm going to stick with the Mage to see where this story goes.

It seems like it's going to be a great game - the graphic textures and colors are kinda "blah", and the character models are... well, it's a Bioware game. But the story, dialog and adventuring are what playing these games are all about, and this game delivers better than any other game. I don't know how far I will continue because of limited play time, but I want to play more, which is a good sign.

Yeah, graphically its very console-ish. Like you said though, gameplay trumps visuals in this case.
post #80 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I'm usually drawn to dual-wielding characters, but I think I'm going to stick with the Mage to see where this story goes.

At Level 7 you could get a Specialization as an Arcane Warrior and have the best of both worlds.

If your playtime is very limited I suggest reading some strategy guides regarding character development. You could find yourself 20hrs in with a Level 12 gimp if you don't spend all you points wisely.
post #81 of 115
The best game I played last year (09). Even regular mode is hard. I had to play the last 1/4 of the game on easy mode...
post #82 of 115
Thread Starter 
Playing this game...FOREVER!!!
post #83 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorax View Post

If your playtime is very limited I suggest reading some strategy guides regarding character development. You could find yourself 20hrs in with a Level 12 gimp if you don't spend all you points wisely.

If you're playing on PC there is a mod that allows you to re-spec. I don't know why games like this don't offer some method to allow you to respec, even if it's just a one time thing half-way through the storyline or something.
post #84 of 115
Ok seriously why can't I figure out how to craft a trap or potion...oh I just didn't have it in super res mode that allows special things to happen. My bad. Disregard
post #85 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorax View Post

If your playtime is very limited I suggest reading some strategy guides regarding character development. You could find yourself 20hrs in with a Level 12 gimp if you don't spend all you points wisely.

This sounds like a good idea... any guides you suggest? On-line or a printed book guide?

btw, played some more (snow day!) and despite the fact that I don't really enjoy games like this anymore, I'm still really into it.
post #86 of 115
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

This sounds like a good idea... any guides you suggest? On-line or a printed book guide?

As posted earlier:

http://dragonage.gulbsoft.org/doku.php/
post #87 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

As posted earlier:

http://dragonage.gulbsoft.org/doku.php/

Thanks for posting that - it seems like a good explanation of the various classes and stats.

I found this offered some good strategies for playing a Mage.
post #88 of 115
Thread Starter 
This game is taking me forever to finish!!!!!

Tinker, you're right, I got tired of grinding on Normal and had to set it on Easy.
post #89 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

any guides you suggest? On-line or a printed book guide?

D'oh! I totally forgot I had the Collector's Edition, with a 2nd DVD. I popped that in and there's a feature with the lead designer running through the best builds of each class and recommendations for armor to be looking for.
post #90 of 115
I can't believe how much time this game is taking up and how much I'm giving it. With even games I love I usually hit a wall at some point and stop playing them if they're very long. I think I'm getting close to 70 hrs with Dragon Age and my stats say I still have only explored around 65% of the world I haven't had a experience like this since ... well, Baldur's Gate. Bioware rocks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

This sounds like a good idea... any guides you suggest? On-line or a printed book guide?.

This Class Guide offers great advice. It helped me develop not only myself but my party members into specific roles. And it pointed me towards Crushing Prison. Holy crap, that spell is brutal bordering on overpowered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

D'oh! I totally forgot I had the Collector's Edition, with a 2nd DVD. I popped that in and there's a feature with the lead designer running through the best builds of each class and recommendations for armor to be looking for.

That sounds pretty awesome. I'll have to find some way to check that out.

Oh, and if anyone is interested check out my character. He's really coming along
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HTPC Gaming
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › HTPC Gaming › Dragon Age: Origins in depth hands on preview