or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Help what to buy - Onkyo TX-NR906 / TX-SR876 /TX-NR807
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help what to buy - Onkyo TX-NR906 / TX-SR876 /TX-NR807

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Hi Guys,
i need some help on an amp, what should i get out of the Onkyo TX-NR906 / TX-SR876 /TX-NR807 I'll be using them with the KEF KHT 3005.2 SE With XQ60B Subwoofer.

Also is the HQV Reon-VX that much better then the Faroudja DCDi Cinema chip sets?



What would you recommend?
post #2 of 11
I just got a refurb'ed 876 from accessories4less and am very happy with it. I got the silver one & I think it looks better than any other receiver around, plus you get more bang for your buck. Better amp, better scaler, 2 HDMI outs, etc... I'd take an 876 over an 807 any day, and the 807 is more expensive anyways.
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
HI Thanks for the reply, does the unit get as hot as people say? and how do you find the scaler and what are you using it for?
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
does it upscale to 1080p via hdmi - hdmi
post #5 of 11
Hello,
The Onkyo's do run warm. No question. However, exceedingly few actually shut down or require service.

Reon is an excellent video processor. If you watch exclusively HD content, then you really do not need it. However, if you watch DVD's, use a cable box, use a VCR, etc, the Reon can really help to make a picture look better.

The problem with the 807 is that it no longer shares the same amplifier architecture as the 876/906 as the 805 shared with the 875/905. The 807 weighs around 35 pounds whereas the 805 weighed 50.9 pounds. All of that loss was in the amplifier section and why the 807 is THX Select 2 while the 805 was Ultra2.
AD
post #6 of 11
Also be aware that the XX7 series and some of the newer Onkyo's do not have multi-channel analog inputs if you should need those.
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstedman View Post

I just got a refurb'ed 876 from accessories4less and am very happy with it. I got the silver one & I think it looks better than any other receiver around, plus you get more bang for your buck. Better amp, better scaler, 2 HDMI outs, etc... I'd take an 876 over an 807 any day, and the 807 is more expensive anyways.

Ditto, except mine was black
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Sorry guys but would it upscale a 1080i signal to 1080p output via hdmi
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
What about the Onkyo TX-NR906 or TX-SR876 is there much of a difference?
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitB View Post

What about the Onkyo TX-NR906 or TX-SR876 is there much of a difference?

Well these two and a couple of the Denon units (4308,4310) were on my short list and I chose the 876. I didn't feel there was enough of a difference between the 876 and 906 to warrant the price difference. I'm loving the 876S so far. I've only had it a few weeks and am still in the learning curve with it. Heat has not been a problem with it.
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Hello,
The Onkyo's do run warm. No question. However, exceedingly few actually shut down or require service.

Reon is an excellent video processor. If you watch exclusively HD content, then you really do not need it. However, if you watch DVD's, use a cable box, use a VCR, etc, the Reon can really help to make a picture look better.

The problem with the 807 is that it no longer shares the same amplifier architecture as the 876/906 as the 805 shared with the 875/905. The 807 weighs around 35 pounds whereas the 805 weighed 50.9 pounds. All of that loss was in the amplifier section and why the 807 is THX Select 2 while the 805 was Ultra2.
AD

I too am debating between the 807 and the 876. Your weight comparison is a bit inaccurate. Actually the 807 weighs 39.7 pounds, so almost 40, not 35.

I am also concerned about comments I have read that the Reon chip was not properly implemented and 1080p images are "soft". Add to that there are several firmwares floating around; which one is correct? Do any fix the Reon issue? How do you upgrade the firmware?

The 807 is fully network capable so firmware upgrades are easy. And the 807 has Dolby PLIIz Processing, along with Audyssey DSX 3D Surround processing.

So the debate continues...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Help what to buy - Onkyo TX-NR906 / TX-SR876 /TX-NR807