or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › NEW: Sony's BDP-N460 w/streaming
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW: Sony's BDP-N460 w/streaming - Page 3

post #61 of 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffinator View Post

Ah the joys of being the first kid on the block with a new toy. Hopefully this gets fixed soon and I look forward to reading your updates.

Ha. That and watching the many price drops soon after.

Update: Bravia Essentials site finally worked. Once completed, the player could be linked to Slacker Radio and Amazon On Demand via the Essentials website.
post #62 of 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

Ha. That and watching the many price drops soon after.

Update: Bravia Essentials site finally worked. Once completed, the player could be linked to Slacker Radio and Amazon On Demand via the Essentials website.

Can you tell us more about FEARnet and Sony Pictures? Are full movies available for streaming?
post #63 of 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

Ha. That and watching the many price drops soon after.

Update: Bravia Essentials site finally worked. Once completed, the player could be linked to Slacker Radio and Amazon On Demand via the Essentials website.

Well at least us early new technology adopters now have a full array of HD channels to watch, almost a decade after it's introduction.

Who's going to be the first to start the N460 owners thread?
post #64 of 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffinator View Post

...Who's going to be the first to start the N460 owners thread?

The first owner (above).
post #65 of 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post

The first owner (above).

He's below on my screen.
post #66 of 1291
Thanks Wesley for the report, was hoping you would post with news today. I just got the Sony STR DN1000 receiver less than two weeks ago, was thinking the N460 would be just the blu ray player to go with it. I kept checking Best Buy's web site and they don't have it yet. Thinking about going ahead and ordering it from SonyStyle.
post #67 of 1291
I called ABT earlier today and they do not have it in stock and don't know when they will receive it. But they told me they usually get new items a couple of days after Sony starts selling them and I'll call them again on Friday. They have 5% off list, free shipping and no tax for CA.
post #68 of 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post

Can you tell us more about FEARnet and Sony Pictures? Are full movies available for streaming?

I'll go through what all I'm seeing on the player now. (Note: I'm sure this list will change over time as things get added and/or dropped. There is a option under Setup>Internet Video Settings>Restart Internet Channels that's said to "Update Internet channels to most recent status" that can be used to 'scan' for changes in the lineup.


Under Music

Slacker "Your music without the work" - 'This service is coming soon. Please try again later.'



Under Video

YouTube "Broadcast Yourself" - works as it should, don't know yet about any limitations to number of search results, amount of favorites shown, etc. yet. SD

Amazon Video On Demand "Watch Hit Hollywood Movies" - works as it should, can link to your Amazon account. Activate online via the Bravia Essentials site once player is registered and you are logged in. Both HD and SD available.

Netflix "Coming Fall 2009"

blip.tv "The best shows of the Web" - 40 Video Links Shown, most seem to go to links to even more episodes. All SD.

FEARnet "Free suspense and horror movies" - unfortunately, 'This service is coming soon. Please try again later.' is currently displayed.

Wired "It's What's Next in Tech" - 67 Technology Video Links Shown in SD

Epicurious.com "for people who love to eat" - 185 Food Video Links Shown in SD

Concierge.com "Inspired travel starts here" - 155 Travel Video Links Shown in SD

Style.com "fashion coverage A-Z" - 265 'Fashion:Women' Video Links Shown in SD

Men.Style.com "fashion, gear and more" - 70 "Fashion"Men' Video Links Shown

MyPlay Music Network "The Best Artists. The Best Music" - I actually know these people!, Categories include: Pop, R&B, Country, Hip-Hop and Rock with 5 to 25 video in each. All seem to be SD.

Crackle "Watch the Best Videos!" - 17 Categories with several Video Links in each. All SD.

Inside Sony Pictures "Your Backstage Pass..." - 20 Video Links, mostly trailers. All may be SD.

FordModels "Ford Models Fashion & Lifestyle" - Categories include: Fashion, Lifestyle, Beauty Tips, Yoga, Fitness and How To. Several video links in each in SD. Beautiful woman shown but this is all for the ladies.

Dailymotion "Our best videos on you TV" -several SD (except where noted) video links in the following categories: Music, Sports & Extreme, Funny, Gaming, Film & TV, News & Politics, Life & Style, Arts, Tech & Science, Webcam & Vlogs, Animals, Gay & Lesbian, People & Family, HD, Other, Auto, College, Travel and Latino

Howcast.com "How-to video from Howcast.com!" - several SD video links in the following categories: Hot How-To's, Fun & Games, Sex & Dating, Home & Family, Food & Drink and Health & Beauty

On Networks "" - several SD and HD video links in the following categories: Beautiful Place in HD, Play Value (about video games) and Golf Tips

GolfLink.com "Track. Learn. Improve" - several SD video links in the following categories: Game Preparation, Swing Breakdown, Working the Ball, Common Errors, Body Position, Kinds of Shots, Swing Elements and Tactics

LIVESTRONG.COM for a Healthy Life "Expert health & fitness videos" - several SD video links in the following categories: Diseases & Conditions, Recreation, Appearance, Yoga, Weight Loss, Mental Health, Football, Relationships, Weight/Strength Training, Healthy Foods, Running, Cardio, Family, Massage Therapy, Dance, Baseball, Parenting, Pilates and Basketball

eHow.com "How To Videos in 24 Categories" - the tag line says it all. SD video. The categories include: Business, Health, Food & Drink, Arts & Entertainment, Cars, Parenting, Legal, (Fashion, Style & Personal Care), Home & Garden, Electronics, Careers & Work, Pets, Culture & Society, Holidays & Celebrations, (Hobbies, Games & Toys), Education, Computers, Relationships & Family, Travel, Sports & Fitness, Personal Finance, Internet, Weddings and Parties & Entertaining Note many of these have sub-categories as well.

Video Detective "The Most Movie Trailers" Many HD and SD movie trailers in the following categories: HD, Coming Soon, In Theaters, New DVD and Games. The HD category shows 85 links

Singing Fools "Music Videos That Matter" I don't know these people (because everything's "new" apparently). SD video links in the following categories: Fool's Faves, New Rock, New Country, New R&B, New Hip Hop, New Pop and New Dance

Podcasts "RSS fees from around the web" 30 video show links (several I really like) Would be nice if I could add my own here somehow.

Videocast.com "Your source for videocasts" - several SD video links in the following categories (several with sub-categories): Arts & Entertainment, Business & Money, Comedy, Music, News & Media, Politics, Sports & Recreation, Technology, Education and Television & Movies"
post #69 of 1291
Finally ordered, should be here by Monday.
post #70 of 1291
Thanks for the update Wesley. Hopefully more of the services come aboard soon. Especially Netflix.
post #71 of 1291
Slim chance but, does the remote has the eject button?

Thanks!
post #72 of 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post

Slim chance but, does the remote has the eject button?

Thanks!

nope.
post #73 of 1291
I agree that Sony should be shot for not putting eject on the remote, but it's really not a big deal. It can be added to many universals quite easily. The code for UEI remotes is Protocol Sony20, Device 26, Subdevice 226, EFC 00081, OBC 22 (that's DVD device code 21516). At least that works for the 3xx and 5xx series players.
post #74 of 1291
During Blu-ray playback, pressing the Options button brings up well options on the right side of the screen (same as the S360). They are Audio Settings, Picture Quality Mode, Play from Beginning, Top Menu, Popup Menu, Stop, Title Search and Chapter Search. All of this is similar to the S360 except "Picture Quality Mode" which now as three settings: Standard, Brighter Room and Theater Room.
Under Audio Settings, there is AV SYNC (0-120 msec in intervals of 10) and Audio Filter: Sharp or Slow which I believe is the same as the S360.
Blu-rays T2: Judgment Day Skynet Edition and The Watchmen play fine. The menus of T2 are the same as on the S360 and not as fancy as on the Samsung BDP-1590 still for some reason - no big deal. Also, the Watchmen menu movements are still jerky and breakup a little just like on the S360 - again, no big deal just FYI.
post #75 of 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I agree that Sony should be shot for not putting eject on the remote, but it's really not a big deal. It can be added to many universals quite easily. The code for UEI remotes is Protocol Sony20, Device 26, Subdevice 226, EFC 00081, OBC 22 (that's DVD device code 21516). At least that works for the 3xx and 5xx series players.


Can you elavorate a little more on this please? I am not familiar with any of this. So, If I have an universal learning remote, how do I program the eject button for a Sony S360 player? Or can that be program on the factory remote Sony had provided?

Thanks
post #76 of 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post

Can you elavorate a little more on this please? I am not familiar with any of this. So, If I have an universal learning remote, how do I program the eject button for a Sony S360 player? Or can that be program on the factory remote Sony had provided?

Thanks

The factory remote can't do it. How to add it to another remote depends on the model.

Using a recent UEI made remote like the radio shack 15-133, 134, 135, or RCA RCRP05B is the easiest way. Set it up to use device code 21516 (or DVD code 1516 depending on your remote), then press the setup button (P, Setup, Set, etc.) followed by 00081. That will send the eject command. Teach that to any learning universal remote you like and you're done. If one of those IS your universal, you can permanently assign the eject command to the key of your choice as follows.

1. In DVD mode, PRESS 9 9 4.
2. PRESS the SETUP button and then 00081.
3. PRESS the button you wish to use for that function - Two Blinks.

Personally, my favorite key to use is shift-Stop. In that case press SETUP before the Stop button in step 3 above. To use the command press SETUP Stop.

If your remote can use pronto hex codes, you can use the protocol information above to generate the code using a conversion program (IRTool) posted at remotecentral. Then add the code to your remote or, in harmony's case, submit it to tech support so they can add it to your remote. Here's the pronto hex for eject:
Code:
0000 0069 0000 0015 005f 0017 0017 0017 0030 0017 0030 0017 0017 0017 0030 0017 0017 0017 0017 0017 0017 0017 0030 0017 0017 0017 0030 0017 0030 0017 0017 0017 0030 0017 0017 0017 0017 0017 0017 0017 0030 0017 0030 0017 0030 0200
(I just generated it, so I think it's correct, but I have no way to test it).

Using some other free software tools you can also add it to a slingbox remote. Post back if you are interested in that and I can post the details.

EDIT: The radio shack remotes above have been discontinued. To find another remote compatible with this procedure go HERE and do a Device Search for Video 1516, then click the link in the remote icon column in the results. You'll get a list of several remotes.
post #77 of 1291
mdavej,

Is there a code what will work with the Home Theater Master MX500?
post #78 of 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffinator View Post

mdavej,

Is there a code what will work with the Home Theater Master MX500?

I don't know much about URC remotes. But I don't think most of them have the ability to add codes, other than learning. In that case, buy or borrow one of the remotes I posted. Program the eject command into it and teach it to your URC. The sony blu-ray codes are fairly new, so I doubt they'd be in a remote more than a few years old. You'll likely have to learn every command from the original remote as well.

The RCA is $20 at best buy. The radio shack 15-133 is also $20, or I can sell you one for $15 shipped. You could return it when you're done, but they're very handy for adding all sorts of discrete codes like eject, discrete inputs, discrete on/off, etc. I've used mine to add several codes to my harmony that weren't in the database.

EDIT: It looks like your remote has only one Sony DVD code (033), and it's not the right one for blu-ray. So you'll have to do what I said above to get it working.
post #79 of 1291
Harmony remotes already have the eject for the n460.
post #80 of 1291
how fast is the player? that's the only thing holding me back. it needs to be as fast as the lg390 or the jvc unit for loading times for me to bite. i have the sony S350 so it needs to at least beat that.
post #81 of 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

The factory remote can't do it. How to add it to another remote depends on the model.

Using a recent UEI made remote like the radio shack 15-133, 134, 135, or RCA RCRP0FB is the easiest way. Set it up to use DVD code 21516, then press the setup button (P) followed by 00081. That will send the eject command. Teach that to any learning universal remote you like and you're done. If one of those IS your universal, you can permanently assign the eject command to the key of your choice as follows.

1. In DVD mode, PRESS 9 9 4.
2. PRESS the SETUP button and then 00081.
3. PRESS the button you wish to use for that function - Two Blinks.

Personally, my favorite key to use is shift-Stop. In that case press SETUP before the Stop button in step 3 above. To use the command press SETUP Stop.

If your remote can use pronto hex codes, you can use the protocol information above to generate the code using a conversion program (IRTool) posted at remotecentral. Then add the code to your remote or, in harmony's case, submit it to tech support so they can add it to your remote. Here's the pronto hex for eject:
Code:
0000 0069 0000 0015 005f 0017 0017 0017 0030 0017 0030 0017 0017 0017 0030 0017 0017 0017 0017 0017 0017 0017 0030 0017 0017 0017 0030 0017 0030 0017 0017 0017 0030 0017 0017 0017 0017 0017 0017 0017 0030 0017 0030 0017 0030 0200
(I just generated it, so I think it's correct, but I have no way to test it).

Using some other free software tools you can also add it to a slingbox remote. Post back if you are interested in that and I can post the details.

If you have trouble finding any of the above remotes, PM me. I have several of the radio shack models I can sell cheap and pre-programmed with eject and all the other sony commands.


Thanks for this great info!...I might get back to you.
post #82 of 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2 View Post

how fast is the player? that's the only thing holding me back. it needs to be as fast as the lg390 or the jvc unit for loading times for me to bite. i have the sony S350 so it needs to at least beat that.

It's the same speed as the Sony BDP-S360 which is slower than the PS3 and Samsung BDP-1590. I don't know how much faster the S360 is than the S350 if at all.
post #83 of 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

Harmony remotes already have the eject for the n460.

I'm looking at getting a cheap Harmony remote and checking the compatibility list shows the BDP-S360 and not the BDP-N460 but the remotes are the same anyway so a may get one since it is difficult to find a cheap universal remote that can control Blu-ray players.
post #84 of 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

I'm looking at getting a cheap Harmony remote and checking the compatibility list shows the BDP-S360 and not the BDP-N460 but the remotes are the same anyway so a may get one since it is difficult to find a cheap universal remote that can control Blu-ray players.

I just tried to add it to my harmony, and you're right. The N460 is not in the harmony database. But the S360 is the closest match and it does have eject already, as does the S350. So the easiest (not necessarily the cheapest) way to get eject is to get a harmony. Eject has been in my harmony for the S350 all along. I wasn't sure it made into the harmony database for the newer models too, like the S360 and N460, but it's there.

FWIW, all the cheap universals I mentioned before are readily available at your local Best Buy and Radio Shack and control blu-ray just fine. It takes about 10 seconds to add the eject command to those. There may be other cheap universals that work, but there's no way to add eject to them without learning from another remote that already has it.
post #85 of 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

I'm looking at getting a cheap Harmony remote and checking the compatibility list shows the BDP-S360 and not the BDP-N460 but the remotes are the same anyway so a may get one since it is difficult to find a cheap universal remote that can control Blu-ray players.

Wesley,

I clicked on your remote link in your sig. You've got a 9910! That's my favorite remote of all time. You realize the S350 upgrade already has all the functions, including eject, right? Are you running the extender? You can get a ton of extra memory and really make that 9910 run circles around harmony with the extender. But if you get a harmony, you won't need your chart anymore.
post #86 of 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I just tried to add it to my harmony, and you're right. The N460 is not in the harmony database. But the S360 is the closest match and it does have eject already, as does the S350. So the easiest (not necessarily the cheapest) way to get eject is to get a harmony. Eject has been in my harmony for the S350 all along. I wasn't sure it made into the harmony database for the newer models too, like the S360 and N460, but it's there.

FWIW, all the cheap universals I mentioned before are readily available at your local Best Buy and Radio Shack and control blu-ray just fine. It takes about 10 seconds to add the eject command to those. There may be other cheap universals that work, but there's no way to add eject to them without learning from another remote that already has it.

I just added a N460 to my Harmony and it is in the data base. I searched Sony,BDP-N460 and it was found. Can't figure why you guys didn't get it. I don't have the player, just added it to see if it was there.
post #87 of 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I don't know much about URC remotes. But I don't think most of them have the ability to add codes, other than learning. In that case, buy or borrow one of the remotes I posted. Program the eject command into it and teach it to your URC. The sony blu-ray codes are fairly new, so I doubt they'd be in a remote more than a few years old. You'll likely have to learn every command from the original remote as well.

The RCA is $20 at best buy. The radio shack 15-133 is also $20, or I can sell you one for $15 shipped. You could return it when you're done, but they're very handy for adding all sorts of discrete codes like eject, discrete inputs, discrete on/off, etc. I've used mine to add several codes to my harmony that weren't in the database.

EDIT: It looks like your remote has only one Sony DVD code (033), and it's not the right one for blu-ray. So you'll have to do what I said above to get it working.

Thanks for your reply. I'll most likely purchase and use a remote and then return it.
post #88 of 1291
How is it at up-converting Standard DVD?
post #89 of 1291
I have a URC RF20 remote... as mentioned above its pre-programmed codes don't work for the N460. I can get most of the functionality via learning from the Sony remote... but I would also like to have a discreet off command... which is not on the Sony remote. If I pick up an RCA remote at Best Buy does it have a code to enable this?

Thanks!
SB
post #90 of 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by saburke View Post

I have a URC RF20 remote... as mentioned above its pre-programmed codes don't work for the N460. I can get most of the functionality via learning from the Sony remote... but I would also like to have a discreet off command... which is not on the Sony remote. If I pick up an RCA remote at Best Buy does it have a code to enable this?

Thanks!
SB

Get the exact model from my post and use one of the following codes instead of 00081 eject:

 

 

0 00142
1 00018
2 00014
3 00016
4 00012
5 00019
6 00015
7 00017
8 00013
9 00146
power 00079
display/info 00030
up arrow 00174
down arrow 00176
left arrow 00172
right arrow 00179
select 00175
play 00208
pause 00206
stop 00210
Clear 00141
open/close 00081
scan reverse 00204
scan forward 00211
menu/pop up 00110
top menu 00115
power on 00113
power off 00109
HOME 00032
return 00028
next 00097
previous 00093
subtitle 00252
audio 00003
angle 00255
blue 00001
red 00253
green 00130
yellow 00126
play mode 00066
Favorites 00225
Advance 00063
Replay 00065
Option 00173
Netflix 00156
SEN 00163

 

These are all the codes I know of. I don't know if the RCA takes 4 or 5 digit device codes. If it takes 4 digit codes, just leave off the first digit. So DVD code 21516 would become 1516.


Edited by mdavej - 3/8/13 at 8:36pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › NEW: Sony's BDP-N460 w/streaming