or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Optoma HD8600 - Page 12

post #331 of 660
Please don't take this the wrong way...... I love that Optoma is always pushing the envelope and the industry...

However, if you read back through the various Optoma threads... and answer this question... "how often in the past has Optoma provided a user installable firmware update?"
post #332 of 660
Beggining of next month which isn't far off, UK engineers are pushing for it also check in with their section first couple of weeks in July.
post #333 of 660
News about new firmware in Europe?
post #334 of 660
i really don't think there will be any new firmware for this pj. if it was a priority with optoma, they would have had it 6 months ago. now that their new stuff is going to roll out in a couple of months, i don't think they are wasting any more time on their previous offerings.
post #335 of 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

i really don't think there will be any new firmware for this pj. if it was a priority with optoma, they would have had it 6 months ago. now that their new stuff is going to roll out in a couple of months, i don't think they are wasting any more time on their previous offerings.

I completely agree, the level of support we have had is truly awful. I have always owned Optoma/Themescene projectors, I always stand up for them, but this has been too poor for me, I will not buy another. The promises just keep getting further and further away.......
post #336 of 660
I really hate to be the "guy" with the bucket of cold water...., but as I mentioned previously... if you go back and read the other Optoma threads here at AVS you will see months and months of promises about firmware updates that never come.

I love that Optoma pushes the envelope and the industry with their new projectors and keeps the other manufacturers on their toes by trying to be on the leading edge and they people that I have met at Optoma (sales and engineering) are truly great people with terrific ideas, however the hardware pretty much seems to be "what you see is what you get" and do not plan on any updates.
post #337 of 660
some good news and some bad...

I rang optoma UK and asked the latest firmware level on HD86. It's 1.11. Most of us I guess have 1.07 or 1.08. Unfortunately they said I had to send the unit in for the update. I asked for a list of changes but they didn't have that information.

Tom, can you acquire this information so we can check if the firmware addresses the important issues we want to see fixed? I don't like to send it out (it'll cost money and the risk of transporting it) without knowing if it will do any good
post #338 of 660
Has anyone tested lag on this unit for videogames?
post #339 of 660
Yes actually they just had it pass it's tests yesterday. Upgrades are full workings of 24fps and they added more color managment control, more luminance controls.
I'm going to take a look at it to see how easy it is to install. I asked about the UK asking for machines to be sent in thoughts are they may be worried someone fouls up while installing causing big problems.
post #340 of 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

Yes actually they just had it pass it's tests yesterday. Upgrades are full workings of 24fps and they added more color managment control, more luminance controls.
I'm going to take a look at it to see how easy it is to install. I asked about the UK asking for machines to be sent in thoughts are they may be worried someone fouls up while installing causing big problems.

Hello tom, thanks for confirming that this is the update we wished for. Please ask about this because the sending in of the machine is a big hurdle. If the risk and cost of transport can be avoided, the better. It shouldn't be a complicated process on such a recent machine. I've done my share of firmware updates on all kinds of machines (from computers to synthesizers,... )
post #341 of 660
I don't know if you can throw what I have (I just got the firmware) on a Euro machine. Better check into it, isn't it a PAL type format over there? I did send a HD8200 firmware to the member in Brazil and it did help him. I was told I could forward the item to AVS members that want it, with a use at your own risk. You have to be very careful and certain you know the procedure.

I can't test it I don't have a HD8600 anymore.
post #342 of 660
I spent some quality with my Optoma rep viewing the 8600. To me, it was nothing special at all. Nothing that pushed any envelope and a very dull uninvolving not very sharp PQ. Of course it wasn`t tweaked at all so I would expect with tweaking it would have looked somewhat better but based on what I saw there are better choices out there for less money.
post #343 of 660
Mark be cool, I think there's a delete my mesg feature still at the AVS forum. Think about it, Some nice people here own this projector and like it.
post #344 of 660
How difficult is the procedure from the hd 80 upgrade path. I believe that many end users diy firmware as this machine had so many problems that it was to optoma's benefit to not have to send in their units. That procedure if I remember correctly was a two step process. Did optoma receive many bricked pj's that they shied away from releasing future diy firmware upgrades? There were many users who were unable to complete the upgrade due to usb to serial issues, but the machines were still functional.
post #345 of 660
Tom. I am just giving my opinion. I was really hopeful about this model. It is a venture by Optoma to enter a different strata from their normal level, to make a high performance model. Others viewing it that day were likewise unimpressed. Normally various projectors at this price point have certain characteristics by which I can recommend it for those wanting those characteristics. I was very dissapointed by what I saw. Maybe my expectations were to high. This says nothing about other Optoma projectors, the company, the service etc. It just didn`t move me at all and most projectors do at least in one or two regards. All that counts when you buy a projector is that you like it and you don`t have a lot of problems with it. I am sure many who purchased it, like it and are happy. I am in a position where I get to see and play with a wide variety of projectors across a wide price spectrum. I was not veryery inpressed by what I saw compared to other choices at the price point. Perhaps it was the smaller DLP chip used and by my standards a rather cheap lens. The smaller DLP chips require a better lens than a machine using the larger DLP chip. I would not recommend this projector to a friend or a customer. I think one can do much better for the same money. Others may think differently and I have no problem with that. Its the buyer`s decision that counts and if the buyer is happy then of course I am happy for them.
post #346 of 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

I don't know if you can throw what I have (I just got the firmware) on a Euro machine. Better check into it, isn't it a PAL type format over there? I did send a HD8200 firmware to the member in Brazil and it did help him. I was told I could forward the item to AVS members that want it, with a use at your own risk. You have to be very careful and certain you know the procedure.

I can't test it I don't have a HD8600 anymore.

Hello Tom, I'd like it if you can pass me the firmware. I don't think there's a difference between regions anymore for the machines. They just have to support the p and i 50 timings. I think all machines do that nowadays.
post #347 of 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I spent some quality with my Optoma rep viewing the 8600. To me, it was nothing special at all. Nothing that pushed any envelope and a very dull uninvolving not very sharp PQ. Of course it wasn`t tweaked at all so I would expect with tweaking it would have looked somewhat better but based on what I saw there are better choices out there for less money.

That is not a good way to evaluate a product. I have worked on these and thought it was a reasonable unit for the money.
post #348 of 660
I know that. I am sure that it could have looked a lot better given proper set up. I don`t have one to evaluate in my black pit HT, with known quality BD player and discs, on the right screen. Yada Yada. I never said it was not a reasonable unit for the money. But these are your words. Quite an exciting description. Sounds like a reviewer in a magazine who didn`t keep the unit. Its a reasonable unit for the money. If you are in the market, check it out. Its a reasonable unit for the money.

My words are BASED ON WHAT I SAW there are better units for the same money or less.
post #349 of 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I know that. I am sure that it could have looked a lot better given proper set up. I don`t have one to evaluate in my black pit HT, with known quality BD player and discs, on the right screen. Yada Yada. I never said it was not a reasonable unit for the money. But these are your words. Quite an exciting description. Sounds like a reviewer in a magazine who didn`t keep the unit. Its a reasonable unit for the money. If you are in the market, check it out. Its a reasonable unit for the money.

My words are BASED ON WHAT I SAW there are better units for the same money or less.

Where it is exceptional is lens flexibility and light output at it's price point. If you need those aspects I would consider it. The Vivitek version is even more compelling for the price.
post #350 of 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafparedis View Post

Hello Tom, I'd like it if you can pass me the firmware. I don't think there's a difference between regions anymore for the machines. They just have to support the p and i 50 timings. I think all machines do that nowadays.

You'll have to pm me an email drop so I can forward a zip file.
post #351 of 660
Thanks UMR. Good points.
post #352 of 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

You'll have to pm me an email drop so I can forward a zip file.

Hi Tom. what is your e-mail?
post #353 of 660
Just send me a PM with the email address so I can forward the zip file.
post #354 of 660
I've loaded the new firmware version 1.11 successfully on the HD86 just now. I've loaded the firmware through the serial connection.
24p is okay now, I can hear the color wheel slow down and the occasional jerkiness I experienced on 24p material is now gone.
post #355 of 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafparedis View Post

24p is okay now,

Thanks for the heads up. How about the CMS, does it allow for luminance control now?
Thanks again.
post #356 of 660
Sounds good mission accomplished.
post #357 of 660
in CMS there's now also a brightness setting, which I guess is the luminance control.
post #358 of 660
Very nice, glad to help my european friends. I've been asked if the firmware is good in euro land which I see it is. Just ask and you'll receive, enjoy.
post #359 of 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafparedis View Post

in CMS there's now also a brightness setting, which I guess is the luminance control.

Yes, thanks, just another word for it. Looks like they have finally come around.
post #360 of 660
Can anyone report that the new firmware improve the Dynamic Iris? It is invisible now? How about white crush when iris is closing down.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home