or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Optoma HD8600 - Page 15

post #421 of 660
Those projectors are about the same, which ever one has the lower price is what you should pick.

The HD8600 with the 24fps covered and the luminance added to the CMS completes all aspects of this flagship projector.

I saw a review from the hometheaterhifi guys that was very favorable. They wish it had luminance on the CMS well that's now added. The reviewer got like a 7000.1 native contrast out of his demo. That's like double what I got, his black level was very low 0.002 which is why the high on/off.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/proje...rojector-.html

It's Chris at Secrets he's a responsible reviewer

He mentioned he didn't see the auto iris on the first full movie but saw it on another film so he turned the DB off for that one.

It was the same for me I watched like 10 movies and didn't see it, then at one scene in the new Batman I saw a brightness change for a second. They really did a nice job on the Ti's DB for the HD8600. They even improved further it so I hear.

I'm so tempted to get one now, I'm still DLP fan. Love the Sharpness and the high ANSI CR. Very 3D without 3D.
post #422 of 660
If you read the comments after that article, he does say that he would have the Runco LS-5 over this projector becaues of its colors and brightness. I did not think that the Runco would be brighter than the Optoma. How does that work exactly?
post #423 of 660
The Runco looks about the same in specs also. Optoma offered me a HD8600 for helping out with the firmware. Price is good and I could pick any of the three lenses. Which lens would you pick?

Wow that short lens sets the PJ just 6' back from my 106" diag screen. I could put it on the coffee table infront of me and pick up the full gain of the high power screen.
post #424 of 660
"LS5 projector becaues of its colors"

The test Optoma was before the firmware which enabled luminace control in the CMS. This is what Chris was complaining about colors not being able to adjust the luminance of green.
post #425 of 660
It really seems that 24fps mode in firmware 1.11 does not work with euro machines. The problem what Ras10 mentioned about color/glitching issues in message #392 is present in at least two more units with different sources outputting 24fps so it seems that it is no coincidence.Maybe this is the reason why there is no official euro firmware announced because of this color/glitching issue with 24fps mode.

Tom, could you please find out what is going on with Optoma, are they still making a new firmware for euro machines? This original 1.08 firmware I have is not good enough for top of the line machine because of it's faults in DB, 24fps mode and CMS. I am not utterly satisfied with Optoma if they don't release new firmware any more for euro projector.
post #426 of 660
Some Euro members said they would give you the firmware but you had to send the machine in. Call them up again and ask for the manager if you have to.
post #427 of 660
Thank you for the tip Tom, I will! I would send my unit but if the firmware is this 1.11 I really would not want to do it for upgrading to firmware that does not fully work, and where 24fps is very likely unusable. But I will send Optoma another mail and ask if they know about the euro firmware version.
post #428 of 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehis View Post

Thank you for the tip Tom, I will! I would send my unit but if the firmware is this 1.11 I really would not want to do it for upgrading to firmware that does not fully work, and where 24fps is very likely unusable. But I will send Optoma another mail and ask if they know about the euro firmware version.

Let us know how you get on, last time I tried I just got the same answer that they do not know about any new firmware.....
post #429 of 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehis View Post

It really seems that 24fps mode in firmware 1.11 does not work with euro machines. The problem what Ras10 mentioned about color/glitching issues in message #392 is present in at least two more units with different sources outputting 24fps so it seems that it is no coincidence.Maybe this is the reason why there is no official euro firmware announced because of this color/glitching issue with 24fps mode.

Tom, could you please find out what is going on with Optoma, are they still making a new firmware for euro machines? This original 1.08 firmware I have is not good enough for top of the line machine because of it's faults in DB, 24fps mode and CMS. I am not utterly satisfied with Optoma if they don't release new firmware any more for euro projector.

These color glitching issue you're talking about, is it the flashes of green frames in the picture as I've experienced and posted about before?
post #430 of 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

The Runco looks about the same in specs also. Optoma offered me a HD8600 for helping out with the firmware. Price is good and I could pick any of the three lenses. Which lens would you pick?

Wow that short lens sets the PJ just 6' back from my 106" diag screen. I could put it on the coffee table infront of me and pick up the full gain of the high power screen.


Hey Tom, you can choose the lens that best suits your environment. The short throw would indeed be suited to the close-up coffee table setup. For shelf/ceiling mounting the normal or long throw would be better depending, the choice of which depending on the room/position.

The HD86 is a bright projector, full on from that distance on a high power screen, you might want to dail down the manual iris Also can the angle/brightness cause hot spotting in such a setup ?
post #431 of 660
No, all the colors are glitching all the time when feeding 24fps to projector so it is basically unwatchable.
post #432 of 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafparedis View Post

Hey Tom, you can choose the lens that best suits your environment. The short throw would indeed be suited to the close-up coffee table setup. For shelf/ceiling mounting the normal or long throw would be better depending, the choice of which depending on the room/position.

The HD86 is a bright projector, full on from that distance on a high power screen, you might want to dail down the manual iris Also can the angle/brightness cause hot spotting in such a setup ?

I probably should get the medium stock lens. Bugs me that I could get the more expensive option lenses for the same price. They're really being solid at offering any lens for the same price, I think one of the option lenses is $1,000.

I haven't had a call retuned, will try next week to see what's up on the 24fps problem some upgraders mentioned.
post #433 of 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

I haven't had a call retuned, will try next week to see what's up on the 24fps problem some upgraders mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehis View Post

No, all the colors are glitching all the time when feeding 24fps to projector so it is basically unwatchable.


I have reloaded the FW1.11 and also still have the mentioned 24p color and glitching problem as previously stated in this thread. I am just glad others now confirm what I have said since the new firmware came out.

Tom,
I am using an Oppo BDP-83 player and when set to 24p or native on player I have these issues when using my Optoma hd8600 with fw1.11 and would also like to here what Optoma has to say about this problem since they sold the unit as a 24p capable machine. Thanks.
post #434 of 660
Lets see what they say, been busy I'll call Wing tomorrow wednesday.
post #435 of 660
Tom
do yuo know something about new optoma hd87 ?
post #436 of 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by tskalecki View Post

Tom
do yuo know something about new optoma hd87 ?

Hello. I purchased HD87 on monday. I live in Finland.
This is very good projector and I think its absolutely bargain
for 2990 euros..

I took a couple of pictures.. Cambridge audio BD650 + Da lite 170cm screen

Sorry my bad english..
LL
LL
LL
post #437 of 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by tskalecki View Post

Tom
do yuo know something about new optoma hd87 ?

it seems it's a new model with slightly higher contrast specs than the HD86. There's the puremotion 3 engine mentioned (HD 86 has 2) All the rest seems the same

Ansi went from 700 to 800 and dynamic from 50K to 80K

http://www.optoma.co.uk/projectordet...Cinema&PC=HD87
post #438 of 660
looking at all that has changed in the HD87 as to the HD86 makes me wonder if it's just a pure software update. (and with the past troubles with the software of the HD86 I feel a bit like a beta test user ...)
post #439 of 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras10 View Post

I have reloaded the FW1.11 and also still have the mentioned 24p color and glitching problem as previously stated in this thread. I am just glad others now confirm what I have said since the new firmware came out.

Tom,
I am using an Oppo BDP-83 player and when set to 24p or native on player I have these issues when using my Optoma hd8600 with fw1.11 and would also like to here what Optoma has to say about this problem since they sold the unit as a 24p capable machine. Thanks.

Wing just got back from Taiwan and I told him about the few members seeing color breakup with the new firmware. I did say it's not everybody and most didn't see the problem. He'll look into it.

If you have the problem tell me the devices you use, I see the Oppo anything else?
post #440 of 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafparedis View Post

looking at all that has changed in the HD87 as to the HD86 makes me wonder if it's just a pure software update. (and with the past troubles with the software of the HD86 I feel a bit like a beta test user ...)

Me too this seems to be purely a firmware update if the price is almost the same (at the moment HD87 is 100 euros more).

I got reply from Optoma that there is no firmware update to euro HD86.
post #441 of 660
I've been lurking for some time on this forum but recent posts forced me to express my opinion. I just began to realize that we, the European consumers, were simply ripped off by Optoma and left alone without any solution. There's no signs of coming f/w update and seems they're deaf to our inquires. Instead they launch HD87. This is real cheek for us, the acquired consumers.

I personally did this terrible mistake and bought HD86 for nearly 4000 EUR. Having all those bad experiences in mind my final judgment is - no more Optoma They sold me unfinished, beta product and still pretends that everything is OK. Of course they launched f/w update for US simply because this market is more valuable. I'm afraid that Optoma will keep Europeans waiting for similar solution until our warranty gets end, focusing on new HD87 instead. I've never experienced such terrible and disappointing after-sales support like this.
post #442 of 660
Very intuitive, I have the firmware you need just PM me your email and I'll send you the files. It's worth a shot many had it work fine.
post #443 of 660
Basically this is job for Optoma to fix issues of my unit. I know and appreciate that you offered f/w to the group, but my original 2Y warranty will be void if I update by myself instead of authorized service center. Secondly, some people report issues with US firmware on Euro units recently, what makes me a bit afraid of its compatibility with my machine. And finally I am neither technical nor fully confident to do this job by myself and risk failure of my unit. Again, Optoma UK is claiming no firmware available, this is real deadlock by which Euro consumers are disadvantaged.
post #444 of 660
I believe 24fps color breakup problems have been reported at least with Mac and PS3 as well with Oppo so you could safely assume the fault is not in source but in projector. Lucky for us and Optoma that there is people like Tom to trying to solve the problems unofficially. Though it is really a shame that situation is like this for euro users.
post #445 of 660
I would talk to the higher ups there if you can. I can't see why they wouldn't want to help their customers. Get somebody that has some power on the phone not emails. Engineering mgr or customer service mgr would be best.
post #446 of 660
Well, I had key account manager, Sales Account Manager and A.S.P. manager on the same email and they could'nt help me with this issue. Their point was that they did not know any new firmware exists to HD86.

These people have been very helpful with problem that I had with earlier Optoma PJ so I really do believe they would had found a solution this time as well if there was one.
post #447 of 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehis View Post

Well, I had key account manager, Sales Account Manager and A.S.P. manager on the same email and they could'nt help me with this issue. Their point was that they did not know any new firmware exists to HD86.

These people have been very helpful with problem that I had with earlier Optoma PJ so I really do believe they would had found a solution this time as well if there was one.

I will check the language options in the firmware 1.11 tonight if I remember. If there's dutch along with all the asian languages etc in the selection as there was in the 1.08 I would be really baffled if the firmware isn't global.

I didn't have any additional issues with the firmware upgrade from 1.08 to 1.11.

The issue of the green flashes still persists, but I had this also on 1.08, on 2 different HD86's. No other display device I own has it (tv, hd800x). Tried several hdmi cables and even a splitter/repeater. The only thing I haven't exchanged is the receiver because this isn't feasible (yamaha RX-V3900 with the ABT2010 video processor chipset, same as in the oppo BD83)


(If I recall correctly my previous HD800X also was 'global' as it reported itself to my pc as the HD803, the model number used in the US)
post #448 of 660
I think it's safe to say that the 24fps mode did not work as advertised even though the unit is sold with this option and now even with the update that was supposed to fix this issue, it is still not working. It seems a new trend of company's selling products that do not perform all advertised functions. I do enjoy the picture this unit has but it is a shame that I can not use this option and will have to consider this in the future purchases as this was my first purchase of an Optoma projector. I would add that I appreciate the help Guitarman has given with communicating our points to Optoma.
post #449 of 660
I've checked in the language screen of the 1.11 firmware. I can confirm dutch is there and a whole lot of languages from all over the world
post #450 of 660
Hehe, who would have guessed that new HD87 has also firmware 1.11. 24fps works though now as expected and there is no need to use pure motion any more to get fluid movement. Otherwise it is hard to tell if there is any difference to HD86 with firmware 1.11. Nice move this from Optoma to euro users.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home