or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › List of Blu-ray Universal (SACD/DVD-Audio) Players
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

List of Blu-ray Universal (SACD/DVD-Audio) Players - Page 2

post #31 of 66
Hi All,
would it be worth trying to compile a list of the best examples of mastering and recording?
In the sea of dross there are some recordings that really stand out, even on poor old vinyl.
I'm only up to 3 SACDs so far and a list of greats to start with would be helpful.
If the good recording engineers could be picked out it might even encourage them.
Cheers
Tim
post #32 of 66
Thread Starter 
Yamaha BD-A1000
post #33 of 66
I'm playing the UD waiting game. I'd love to get into multi-channel sound, but want to do it on a budget. I'd buy a Denon 1611UD, Marantz 5005 or an OPPO93 on the spot, right now - but sadly (at least the former 2) have been delayed so long I am not even sure they are ever going to be released to the public.

The Yamaha BD-A1000 above looks nice (and just a little more) but "coming soon" seems to mean "in the next year or so" when it comes to these types of players.

I'll probably just grab a Sony S770 and call it good and then maybe think about getting a better quality, true universal player at some point down the road being the majority of content I'm eying is in SACD anyway.
post #34 of 66
The Oppo will be available soon, meaning soon. As in, pretty soon. I think it's worth waiting for since it's by far the most "universal" and "future-proof" of the lot.

The Yamaha seems to be offering a number of key features "via firmware update". Beware of those type claims.
post #35 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The Oppo will be available soon, meaning soon. As in, pretty soon. I think it's worth waiting for since it's by far the most "universal" and "future-proof" of the lot.

That is what my heart is telling me, although I am having guests over for Christmas and defiantly need some sort of player by then.

Hopefully things work out.
post #36 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by zredsox View Post
That is what my heart is telling me, although I am having guests over for Christmas and defiantly need some sort of player by then.

Hopefully things work out.
It's impossible to say when it will be released. As features get finalized there are firmware bugs that have to get ironed out. One bug fix breaks something else, lather-rinse-repeat. Oppo will refuse to release the player till any deal-breaking bugs are fixed. That's one of the reasons Oppo players are in demand. If push comes to shove, grab one of those Christmas special $60 BD players a week before Christmas. They will be plentiful.
post #37 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
It's impossible to say when it will be released. As features get finalized there are firmware bugs that have to get ironed out. One bug fix breaks something else, lather-rinse-repeat. Oppo will refuse to release the player till any deal-breaking bugs are fixed. That's one of the reasons Oppo players are in demand. If push comes to shove, grab one of those Christmas special $60 BD players a week before Christmas. They will be plentiful.
Thanks. Yes, I've been keeping up on the Oppo thread and that is kind of the frustration I was letting out in my initial post here, in that I can't get any player I want in what would normally be considered a reasonable time frame (i.e. 5 weeks or in some cases 5 months.) Not really faulting Oppo with their recently announced player but more so the issues with the Denon 1611UD which I thought would be a player that I could have had a chance at getting before Christmas, or Halloween for that matter.


That said, you got me thinking that I could snag a Sony S370 at a price point nearing $120 to solve my near term issues of wanting SACD and Blu-ray and then welcome my Mom to the world of Blu-ray being that 1990's era DVD player she's sporting probably needs a refresh...

I'm going to wait at least 3 weeks before I make any purchase decisions, so maybe there will be more options available then. Still have an MBM-12 I need to pick up along the way.
post #38 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold View Post

hmm new Marantz universals

7005 and 5005 more rea$onable, apparently



the 5005 loses 7.1 analog outputs


anyone have a pic of the 7005 rear panel?

I have been waiting patiently for this to release and wanting to hear others impressions. It seems some early units are out.
post #39 of 66
Very tasty price on the 5005.
post #40 of 66
Recently I got a new Sony BDP-S570 to playback 3D Blu Ray disks. When I got it I found, much to my amazement, that it would playback SACD's digitally over the HDMI multichannel output. All of the eight SACD channels were sent over the HDMI connection in LPCM and decoded by a Sony STR-DN2010 receiver bought at the same time. I suspect any multichannel LPCM decoder in other receivers will also decode the BDP-S570 multichannel output. Now if Sony would introduce a BluRay/SACD Megachanger I would be really happy!
post #41 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wood View Post

All of the eight SACD channels were sent over the HDMI connection in LPCM and decoded by a Sony STR-DN2010 receiver bought at the same time.

AFAIK, SACD permits only 6 channels.
post #42 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The Oppo will be available soon, meaning soon. As in, pretty soon. I think it's worth waiting for since it's by far the most "universal" and "future-proof" of the lot.

Mine just shipped. Thanks for making me wait, heh.

I grabbed the 2L Audiophile Reference Record, Beatles: Love, Brothers in Arms, Divertimenti and Tommy off of Amazon to kick off my SACD/DVD-A/Blu-ray audio experience.
post #43 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by zredsox View Post

Mine just shipped. Thanks for making me wait, heh.

I grabbed the 2L Audiophile Reference Record, Beatles: Love, Brothers in Arms, Divertimenti and Tommy off of Amazon to kick off my SACD/DVD-A/Blu-ray audio experience.

An excellent selection. the Divertimenti BD is unique in that it has 24/192 5.1 audio streams for DTS-MA, Dolby THD and LPCM. A great disc for testing. 2L also has a couple newer BDs with 7.1 24/96.
post #44 of 66
Just found this bit of news on the Marantz Europe site. The UD7005 that was canned, now being replaced by the UD7006. Here is the comparaison with the UD5005:

http://www.marantz.eu/en/products/28...compare_to=280
post #45 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold View Post

it's not a fetish!

i'm just partly organized and not even obsessive about it

Whatever people want to say about your lists, I for one am thankful!
post #46 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold View Post

hmm new Marantz universals

7005 and 5005 more rea$onable, apparently



the 5005 loses 7.1 analog outputs


anyone have a pic of the 7005 rear panel?

Here is the rear panel of 7005 from Marantz US:

post #47 of 66
There's a more complete list of Universal (as well as just SACD-compatible) Blu-ray Disc players here.
post #48 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by T7T View Post

There's a more complete list of Universal (as well as just SACD-compatible) Blu-ray Disc players here.

Yes, it is more encompassing but, with all the pix and text, it is light on specifics.
post #49 of 66
out already: Pioneer BDP-440/BDP-52FD
coming soon: Pioneer BDP-LX55/BDP-53FD

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1335651
post #50 of 66
In Europe, the Yamaha BD-A1000 is known as BD-S1067.
There is also a new model: BD-A1010
post #51 of 66
post #52 of 66
The Denon DBP-2011UD never appeared, but instead there is a DBP-2012UD.

The same with Marantz:
The Marantz UD7005 never appeared, but instead there is a Marantz UD7006.
post #53 of 66
Oppo Digital BDP-93
BDP-95
post #54 of 66
Is the Marantz 7006 stereo or multi-channel SACD?

Edit: Never mind, it's both! (Yes, Google really is one's friend...)
post #55 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwv1080 View Post

Is the Marantz 7006 stereo or multi-channel SACD?

Stereo and Multi-channel.
post #56 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wood View Post

Recently I got a new Sony BDP-S570 to playback 3D Blu Ray disks. When I got it I found, much to my amazement, that it would playback SACD's digitally over the HDMI multichannel output. All of the eight SACD channels were sent over the HDMI connection in LPCM and decoded by a Sony STR-DN2010 receiver bought at the same time. I suspect any multichannel LPCM decoder in other receivers will also decode the BDP-S570 multichannel output. Now if Sony would introduce a BluRay/SACD Megachanger I would be really happy!

Hmm, this is interesting, because the manual for the STR-DN2010 says that it can't decode SACD thru HDMI. What settings do you use on the S570?
post #57 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by drSeehas View Post

out already: Pioneer BDP-440/BDP-52FDhttp://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1335651

I just received an email that the BDP-52FD is shipping from Vann's.
post #58 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylandmike View Post

I just received an email that the BDP-52FD is shipping from Vann's.

wouldn't you be better or just buying a digital streamer and ripping your media to network attached storage?
post #59 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

wouldn't you be better or just buying a digital streamer and ripping your media to network attached storage?

How does the average non technical person rip SACD, DVD-Audio or Blu-Ray Audio to iTunes and play it back via an AppleTV in lossless 5.1? I know that I can't do it.

When ripping and playing high resolution surround audio becomes as simple as ripping a standard CD and playing back via iTunes on an AppleTV connected to me receiver via HDMI I'll sign on. Until then I'll spin discs on my universal transport.
post #60 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylandmike View Post

How does the average non technical person rip SACD, DVD-Audio or Blu-Ray Audio to iTunes and play it back via an AppleTV in lossless 5.1? I know that I can't do it.

When ripping and playing high resolution surround audio becomes as simple as ripping a standard CD and playing back via iTunes on an AppleTV connected to me receiver via HDMI I'll sign on. Until then I'll spin discs on my universal transport.

Seconded.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Surround Music Formats
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › List of Blu-ray Universal (SACD/DVD-Audio) Players