or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official Harman Kardon AVR 1600/2600/3600 owner's thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Harman Kardon AVR 1600/2600/3600 owner's thread - Page 73

post #2161 of 2821
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

A qwik test is to disconnect ALL loudspeakers from the AVR..
Next power UP the AVR..
Does PROTECT still show in the display window?
a. If YES then something inside the AVR is blown
b. If NO then the problem is in the loudspeaker wiring

Just my $0.02...

This is worth a bump because I've just sent one back for this exact problem. I was using an external amp so I new it wasn't a speaker wire.
post #2162 of 2821
Ok I've gotten another 3600-z but I haven't opened it yet. Since my wife liked our old H/K avr 635 and I loved the power also I'm now considering not unboxing the 3600 and sending it back and ordering 7550. Note I do have a B&K Sonata Video 5 but if I get the 7550 I will sale it to help fund the 7550.

What do you guys think about this plan? Is the 7550 that much better than the 3600?

Thanks,
Jason
post #2163 of 2821
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangjason View Post

Ok I've gotten another 3600-z but I haven't opened it yet. Since my wife liked our old H/K avr 635 and I loved the power also I'm now considering not unboxing the 3600 and sending it back and ordering 7550. Note I do have a B&K Sonata Video 5 but if I get the 7550 I will sale it to help fund the 7550.

What do you guys think about this plan? Is the 7550 that much better than the 3600?

Thanks,
Jason

Decided I would give the 3600 a shot and guess what? No sound using the Preouts on this one. My Pioneer works at least despite the fact my wife doesn't like the sound.
post #2164 of 2821
I have the big problem with my H/K now. I live in Thailand and I use AVR-360 (AKA AVR-2600).
Today I try to see movie as usual. But the output resolution is 576p only I try to change it in Setup source menu for "Resolution to display" menu but I cannot change it other resolution choice are dark color and cannot move the cursor just stay at 576p.
Have you guys ever found this problem and how to solve it ?

Ps. I connect TV and AVR with HDMI and I already try to direct connect my Popcorn hour to TV and It can display 1080p as normally that make me prove that TV and movie source are still in good function.
post #2165 of 2821
Has anyone been hearing any new about the 1650/2650/3650?
Can't seem to find reviews anywhere on these products.
post #2166 of 2821
I guess 3rd times a charm because this one works great with no issues I've noticed with exception of the audio delay when changing channels. This unit doesn't even have the issue my Pioneer 1120 had which case the receiver would turn off if the TV was turned on first.

Sound is great with exception of some sibilance which I had with the Pioneer so I don't blame the H/K...I think it's my speaker wire that I changed to a while back so I'm going back to the old stuff regardless or the sibilance may be my new DirecTV box.
post #2167 of 2821
Now I'm considering the 7550

Has anyone here that can tell me about them owned both? How similar or disimilar do they sound? I have some Polk RTi speakers that tend to better combined with the smooth H/K sound but sound a bit bright with other receivers.
post #2168 of 2821
Quote:
Originally Posted by panupalm View Post

I have the big problem with my H/K now. I live in Thailand and I use AVR-360 (AKA AVR-2600).
Today I try to see movie as usual. But the output resolution is 576p only I try to change it in Setup source menu for "Resolution to display" menu but I cannot change it other resolution choice are dark color and cannot move the cursor just stay at 576p.
Have you guys ever found this problem and how to solve it ?

Ps. I connect TV and AVR with HDMI and I already try to direct connect my Popcorn hour to TV and It can display 1080p as normally that make me prove that TV and movie source are still in good function.

I would call H/K customer service. They are easy to work with and usually very helpfull.
post #2169 of 2821
Need your help please-have not posted in well over a year. I have a 3600 and when I come home in the evening and turn entire system on: incl. Directv, samsung led tv, it now takes forever for system to be watchable. I mean - every component starts or comes on - its is just that several minutes go by before any picture or sound is playing thru system. Once it finally gets going, every component behaves flawlessly. Any ideas? Could the AVR being going bad? Suggestions welcom....Thanks
post #2170 of 2821
How does one describe H/K sound? I have an HK AVR 520, and am looking at new speakers, and wanted to make sure they use a receiver similar to mine in sound.
post #2171 of 2821
Hey Guys,

Just picked up a AVR 2600 Today. It was an opened box item, and at a price of $299, I couldn't resist.

Love it so far. Currently in the process of upgrading the firmware (It had 1.1...yikes!)

We will see how things improve after, but no complaints so far. Sound is nice and "Evenly-Warm".
post #2172 of 2821
The AVR 1600 is available for $199 shipped from Buy.com now (sold by One Call). Seems like a very good deal at this price. Have most of the bugs been ironed out of this unit now with upgrades? I have ordered it but am still a bit on the fence. Would use this in a spare bedroom setup mainly for music listening.
post #2173 of 2821
Quote:
Originally Posted by godzulu View Post

Need your help please-have not posted in well over a year. I have a 3600 and when I come home in the evening and turn entire system on: incl. Directv, samsung led tv, it now takes forever for system to be watchable. I mean - every component starts or comes on - its is just that several minutes go by before any picture or sound is playing thru system. Once it finally gets going, every component behaves flawlessly. Any ideas? Could the AVR being going bad? Suggestions welcom....Thanks

I would contact Harman Kardon tech support. They will probably send you another one. I couldn't tell you what the problem is because I know little about the units. I have read of processor issues so maybe that it
post #2174 of 2821
Im in the market for a new receiver, i currently own a older harman kardon and was looking at the new 2650 model. Is it a wise choice or should i look at another brand model in the same price category?


Was thinking of getting the oppo blu ray player from my ps3, dont know if its worth upgrading my receiver to a true hd one.....
post #2175 of 2821
Quote:
Originally Posted by burts View Post

Im in the market for a new receiver, i currently own a older harman kardon and was looking at the new 2650 model. Is it a wise choice or should i look at another brand model in the same price category?


Was thinking of getting the oppo blu ray player from my ps3, dont know if its worth upgrading my receiver to a true hd one.....

You'll get more "features" for the same price or less than the HK. I have the AVR 1600 and like it.

But, if I were buying today I don't think I would pay anywhere near the list price for the 2650, not when you can get the Pioneer 1121 for $600 or less, any number on Onkyos for less, Yamaha 800 series for less, Marantz, Denon etc...

If the AVR were in the $500 range it would be a good choice IMO but as it is priced I would look elsewhere.
post #2176 of 2821
Quote:
Originally Posted by burts View Post

Im in the market for a new receiver, i currently own a older harman kardon and was looking at the new 2650 model. Is it a wise choice or should i look at another brand model in the same price category?


Was thinking of getting the oppo blu ray player from my ps3, dont know if its worth upgrading my receiver to a true hd one.....

Look for a 2600. It's the last generation model, but you get clear-out pricing right now. The new ones do not offer much more than the X600 range, and you still get HD audio and Dolby Volume.
post #2177 of 2821
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seonds View Post


Look for a 2600. It's the last generation model, but you get clear-out pricing right now. The new ones do not offer much more than the X600 range, and you still get HD audio and Dolby Volume.

I agree. I don't see any real significant advantage the 2650 has over the 2600. Also don't forget to check out their EBay store. I got an amazing deal for a refurb'd 2600 and it's been working flawlessly...so far (knock on wood). : )
post #2178 of 2821
So the 2600 is the clear recommendation for a 7.1 channel receiver, I currently own the avr 430. Is it a big step up from that, id like to be set for at least the next 5 years. Ill likely be pairing it with a oppo bdp 93.

Oh ill never buy a refurbished harman kardon again, i bought one and it went to the repair shop from maui to las vegas 4 times back and forth for repair, repeatedly. Finally harman kardon gave me a new avr 430 which was a better model then the refurbished that i bought.

One thing though is the volume knob on my avr is bonkers turn it low it goes high, thing is i never used the knob at all, i use the remote....

I dont mind stepping away from hk if qnother brand is better for me, pioneer 1121? Im mostly into home theatre...
post #2179 of 2821
Quote:
Originally Posted by burts View Post

So the 2600 is the clear recommendation for a 7.1 channel receiver, I currently own the avr 430. Is it a big step up from that, id like to be set for at least the next 5 years. Ill likely be pairing it with a oppo bdp 93.

Oh ill never buy a refurbished harman kardon again, i bought one and it went to the repair shop from maui to las vegas 4 times back and forth for repair, repeatedly. Finally harman kardon gave me a new avr 430 which was a better model then the refurbished that i bought.

One thing though is the volume knob on my avr is bonkers turn it low it goes high, thing is i never used the knob at all, i use the remote....

I dont mind stepping away from hk if qnother brand is better for me, pioneer 1121? Im mostly into home theatre...

I don't think the 2600/3600 are 3d compatible. There might be a firmware update though. Might want to check that if 3d is something you'll be wanting.

My only issues with Pioneer and Yamaha are their use of a global crossover. OK if you run fairly robust center and surrounds, not so good if you don't.
post #2180 of 2821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

I don't think the 2600/3600 are 3d compatible. There might be a firmware update though. Might want to check that if 3d is something you'll be wanting.

My only issues with Pioneer and Yamaha are their use of a global crossover. OK if you run fairly robust center and surrounds, not so good if you don't.

The last firmware update is HDMI 1.4a = 3D
post #2181 of 2821
i just bought a avr 3600. the issue im having is that bluray play hooked up through hdmi. When you turn ON hdmi bypass i get video but no audio. when you turn it back off the audio comes back and the video is still playing. is that normal?
post #2182 of 2821
Hi, two days ago, I sold my 2 year old Yamaha RX-V1800. It was fantastic for HT but only "ok" for 2ch listening. My only prior experience with HK was an AVR55 which sounded beautiful in 2ch on a pair of Klipsch CF-2's.

I'm wanting something that sounds as good or better than the Yamaha for HT but also for 2ch. My search has led me to the AVR 3600 or the Emotiva UMC-1 (very hesitant due to "issues" and no 30 day in home trial since it's on clearance).

I will be hooking the AVR or Pre/Pro to my Parasound HCA2205a (220w x 5) amp, Klipsch RF-83's, RC-64 and RS-52's and a Velodyne HGS15 sub.

My video sources:
"Fat" PS3 hooked up via HDMI
Rabbit Ears with Digital to Analog Converter hooked up via Composite RCA (No cable or TV's in our home since we watch maybe 3hrs of TV a year)
Wii hooked up via Component Video & Composite Audio
HDMI Out from receiver to Panasonic AE3000u Projector

My questions:
1. Anyone have experience with HK and Parasound Amps? Will they sound good together?
2. Do you forsee any problems with my setup and the 3600?
3. Lastly, why didn't HK add 12v Trigger to the 3600? I really liked controlling my Amp with my Harmony One remote. Any workarounds?

Thanks in advance,

Michael
post #2183 of 2821
Does anybody have any thoughts on Newegg as a retailer? I don't see them listed on HK website as an authorized seller. I'm interested in the AVR3600 for the A-Bus compatibility, and Newegg has a price that is jaw-dropping.

Any reason I should hesitate on this deal?

THANKS!!
post #2184 of 2821
Anders, I too was looking at buying mine from Newegg. They have the cheapest price I have found. I always buy my computer parts from them. Top notch company. Not sure if they are an "authorized" dealer for HK though. Would be curious to know.
post #2185 of 2821
Just got this message from HK Customer Service:

"Harman Kardon does not sell product through distributors. This means that we only sell direct to dealers. If they are not on our dealer list this means they are not authorized to sell our products. So if they are selling you an HK product, we can't guarantee that it is an authentic HK product because we don't know where it came from being that it clearly didn't come from us. I would recommend that you purchase only from an HK dealer."

So, where does Newegg get their HK products??
post #2186 of 2821
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthman View Post

Hi, two days ago, I sold my 2 year old Yamaha RX-V1800. It was fantastic for HT but only "ok" for 2ch listening. My only prior experience with HK was an AVR55 which sounded beautiful in 2ch on a pair of Klipsch CF-2's.

I'm wanting something that sounds as good or better than the Yamaha for HT but also for 2ch. My search has led me to the AVR 3600 or the Emotiva UMC-1 (very hesitant due to "issues" and no 30 day in home trial since it's on clearance).

I will be hooking the AVR or Pre/Pro to my Parasound HCA2205a (220w x 5) amp, Klipsch RF-83's, RC-64 and RS-52's and a Velodyne HGS15 sub.

My video sources:
"Fat" PS3 hooked up via HDMI
Rabbit Ears with Digital to Analog Converter hooked up via Composite RCA (No cable or TV's in our home since we watch maybe 3hrs of TV a year)
Wii hooked up via Component Video & Composite Audio
HDMI Out from receiver to Panasonic AE3000u Projector

My questions:
1. Anyone have experience with HK and Parasound Amps? Will they sound good together?
2. Do you forsee any problems with my setup and the 3600?
3. Lastly, why didn't HK add 12v Trigger to the 3600? I really liked controlling my Amp with my Harmony One remote. Any workarounds?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Michael, I have the same Parasound amp you have and I have it paired with my 3600. In the past I had a Yamaha DSPA1 and top of the line HK8000. This was my first go around with a mid-level receiver and I will never waste money again going with a top of the line receiver. My two channel listening has decreased in the past years but I'm more than happy with the sound quality.

I use a 12v trigger from radio shack that plugs into the switched outlet on the back of the 3600. This turns on the Parasound amp when the 3600 is switched on.
post #2187 of 2821
Thx for the advice Curt. I'll have to check Radio Shack. I've heard of guys using Wall Warts which might be what you are referring to. Since the Parasound has screw type connections, did you have to cut the end off the 12v trigger or does it come without a tip?
post #2188 of 2821
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersjr82 View Post

Just got this message from HK Customer Service:

"Harman Kardon does not sell product through distributors. This means that we only sell direct to dealers. If they are not on our dealer list this means they are not authorized to sell our products. So if they are selling you an HK product, we can't guarantee that it is an authentic HK product because we don't know where it came from being that it clearly didn't come from us. I would recommend that you purchase only from an HK dealer."

So, where does Newegg get their HK products??

I found an HK-authorized retailer selling the AVR 3600 for $100 more than Newegg has it priced. Is it worth spending an extra $100 for the "authorized" tag? Will HK honor warranty items differently depending where the item was purchased?

Anybody have any experience with this?
post #2189 of 2821
Not sure.
post #2190 of 2821
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthman View Post

Thx for the advice Curt. I'll have to check Radio Shack. I've heard of guys using Wall Warts which might be what you are referring to. Since the Parasound has screw type connections, did you have to cut the end off the 12v trigger or does it come without a tip?

You're right about the wall wart. I actually have an extension cord plugged into the switched outlet of the 3600 and have the wall wart plugged into that because the wall wart was too large for the space. Sorry, but I don't remember exactly what I had to do to tap into the Parasound, it's been a long time and it's very hard to access.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official Harman Kardon AVR 1600/2600/3600 owner's thread