or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official Harman Kardon AVR 1600/2600/3600 owner's thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Harman Kardon AVR 1600/2600/3600 owner's thread - Page 82

post #2431 of 2820
Well after talking to HK tech support, I'm bummed! I found out that unlike my AVR 335 that I owned for around 7 years, the AVR 3600 doesn't offer the Dolby Digital+Pro Logic llx mode. I loved this option because I could utilize all 7 speakers while still getting the quality of the Dolby Digital format. For those who didn't use this format, it was a combination mode that applied post processing so that Dolby pro Logic llx could be used to create back surround channels from 5.1 sources. I'm really dissapointed that they decided to ditch this feature! Anybody else?
post #2432 of 2820
I thought that's what Logic 7 is supposed to do?
post #2433 of 2820
Well Logic 7 does utilize all 7 speakers, but as far as I know it's not Dolby Digital. It's more like pro logic???? Atleast thats what I have been told. I had Logic 7 on my 335 too but I wasn't real thrilled with it.
post #2434 of 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfins View Post

Well after talking to HK tech support, I'm bummed! I found out that unlike my AVR 335 that I owned for around 7 years, the AVR 3600 doesn't offer the Dolby Digital+Pro Logic llx mode. I loved this option because I could utilize all 7 speakers while still getting the quality of the Dolby Digital format. For those who didn't use this format, it was a combination mode that applied post processing so that Dolby pro Logic llx could be used to create back surround channels from 5.1 sources. I'm really dissapointed that they decided to ditch this feature! Anybody else?


I recall the 2600/3600 could do Dolby Digital or DTS & PLIIx for 7.1..
But not 7.1 with the HD codecs such as Dolby Digital +, Dolby True Audio or DTS Master Audio & PLIIx...

We did alot of the audio DSP evaluation for the 2600/3600 platform, but I no longer have a product sample for testing as these have all be disposed of...
I would suggest that you go back to HK tech support and make ceratin they understand your question.

Just my $0.02...
post #2435 of 2820
Thx will do! i don't like having a 7.1 system and only being able to utilize 5 of them....
post #2436 of 2820
hmm.
post #2437 of 2820
On my 2600, I can overlay PLIIx over a DD 2.0 or 5.1.

My problem is I cannot overlay DTS neo 6 over a DTS 5.1.

Can't figure out how to overlay anything on an HD audio source.

I'm with you guys. I have a 7.1 system and the technology exists to expand 2.0 or 5.1 to 7.1. I just can't figure out how to do it on all of my sources.
post #2438 of 2820
When you say you can overlay PLllx over the Dolby 2.0 or 5.1 how are you doing that? Are you just selecting the Dolby PL llx instead of the automatic selection of Dolby Digital? I tried that, and it says Dolby PL llx on the display unlike my AVR 335 that showed Dolby Digital + PL llx. When i choose the Dolby PLllx it does 7 channels but it doesn't sound as good as Dolby Digital to me???
post #2439 of 2820
Hi just saw this AVR-2600 on sale at Electronics Expo for $299.95 anyone here have any experience with this company they say they are an authorized dealer seems like a pretty good deal even cheaper than Amazon/Circuit City. I only need it for the Analog Inputs and Amps for a PC Gaming/Movie 5.1 rig.
post #2440 of 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba300 View Post

Hi just saw this AVR-2600 on sale at Electronics Expo for $299.95 anyone here have any experience with this company they say they are an authorized dealer seems like a pretty good deal even cheaper than Amazon/Circuit City. I only need it for the Analog Inputs and Amps for a PC Gaming/Movie 5.1 rig.

According to the official HK web site Electronics Expo is an authorized dealer.
post #2441 of 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransientDreamer View Post

Hello everyone,
A second question is when I'm playing my PS3. In the main XMB menu, if I don't input a command on the controller, and start scrolling through menus, it takes about 1-2 seconds before I start hearing the "clicks" from the menu scrolling. This didn't happen when I had my PS3 directly connected to my TV.

I played around with the audio settings in the PS3, and when I have the receiver set to surround sound, what i just described above happens, with the 2600 display flipping between PCM 48KhZ and logic 7 game everytime I move through the menu.

When I change the settings to "stereo" sound, this delay doesn't occur, rather, it is instantly responsive and I hear the menu clicks immediately when flipping through menus.

Same thing happens when I watch videos on my PS3, if I fast forward or rewind the video and play, it takes about 1-2 seconds to start hearing audio again (I can see lips moving but no sound).

Thanks all for your time.

I'm having this exact same problem but with my Apple TV 2. When I switch between menus, I don't always hear a sound. And the receiver switches between "2 CH Stereo" and "PCM 48 khZ".

The only Apple TV audio settings are:
Dolby Digital: Auto/On/Off
Digital Audio: Auto/16(bit)

No combination of these settings has fixed the problem.
post #2442 of 2820
Mine has done the same thing since I got it. Once you start using it the sound should be consistent, but the first "click" or menu sound seems to be lost.
Same happens with just about anything actually... My movie intro files are the most irritating - always miss the first second or 1 of the first one.
post #2443 of 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

I recall the 2600/3600 could do Dolby Digital or DTS & PLIIx for 7.1..
But not 7.1 with the HD codecs such as Dolby Digital +, Dolby True Audio or DTS Master Audio & PLIIx...

It does allow DTS-HD MA 5.1 into PLIIx for some strange reason but that is not desirable.
post #2444 of 2820
Have a 2600 with latest firmware. I have Windows 7 64bit with an nVidia GTX570 (latest drivers) connected HDMI to the AVR2600. The 2600 is connected to an Epson projector.

The issue I have is that Windows does not see any HD audio formats as being supported. I'm trying to bitstream HD audio with XBMC and it's failing as it does not think HD is supported by my GTX570/AVR-2600 combination. Windows control panel only shows DTS, Dolby Digital, and Dolby Digital Plus as supported formats on my *AVR_HARMAN* audio device.

Anyone have any success in getting this combination to work?

Thanks
post #2445 of 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro510 View Post

Have a 2600 with latest firmware. I have Windows 7 64bit with an nVidia GTX570 (latest drivers) connected HDMI to the AVR2600. The 2600 is connected to an Epson projector.

The issue I have is that Windows does not see any HD audio formats as being supported. I'm trying to bitstream HD audio with XBMC and it's failing as it does not think HD is supported by my GTX570/AVR-2600 combination. Windows control panel only shows DTS, Dolby Digital, and Dolby Digital Plus as supported formats on my *AVR_HARMAN* audio device.

Anyone have any success in getting this combination to work?

Thanks

Solved. Found out it's the 570 that does not support bitstreaming HD audio.

Thanks
post #2446 of 2820
Well, my 354 just crapped out on me. I called HK, and they are gonna replace it with a 3600. I should get it in about 2 weeks.
post #2447 of 2820
I am looking at getting a hk 3600. I noticed that the instructional manual states 85 watts per channel, while hk website states 80 watts per channel. Which one is right? Also the manual states the unit weighs 42 pounds while website says 31.5 pounds. Are there any quality issues with this model?
post #2448 of 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastgt79 View Post

I am looking at getting a hk 3600. I noticed that the instructional manual states 85 watts per channel, while hk website states 80 watts per channel. Which one is right? Also the manual states the unit weighs 42 pounds while website says 31.5 pounds. Are there any quality issues with this model?

Read through the posts..
The HK website, manuals, brochures have multiple errors..
The 3600 weighs about 30 LBs..

Just my $0.02...
post #2449 of 2820
Hk specs for 3600 have 80/85 wAtts per channel in 7.1 mode. Is that per channel with all 7 channels driven at same time or is that one channel driven at a time?
post #2450 of 2820
Either way, 80 watts or 85 watts, you would not be able to hear or tell the difference with 5 watts.
post #2451 of 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastgt79 View Post

Hk specs for 3600 have 80/85 wAtts per channel in 7.1 mode. Is that per channel with all 7 channels driven at same time or is that one channel driven at a time?

80wpc, 2 channels driven continuously 20hz-20khz into 8ohm


For comparison, the 3600's EU counterpart (the AVR 460) is also rated 80x2 20hz-20khz into 8ohms, and 60wpc in the classic HK sense of ALL 7 channels being driven simultaneously 20hz-20khz into 8ohms
post #2452 of 2820
I would venture to say that very few receivers actually deliver their claimed wattage with all channels driven. My previous Yamaha RX-V1800 (130 x 7) in actual bench tests showed 130 x 2, 110 x 3, 90 x 5 and a whopping 55 x 7. Pretty unimpressive for a $1200 mid level receiver. That's why I went with a Parasound 220 x 5. It's a true 220 watts/ch with all channels driven. You cannot expect a receiver to maintain that much power per channel with that small of a transformer.
post #2453 of 2820
I have a six year old HK AVR 635. Considering a Denon 2312 or 2313 in th coming weeks. Paired to Klipsch R-25 speakers. Never have loved the HK. Thoughts? People seem to rave about the Audyssey on the Denons.
post #2454 of 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCF34 View Post

I have a six year old HK AVR 635. Considering a Denon 2312 or 2313 in th coming weeks. Paired to Klipsch R-25 speakers. Never have loved the HK. Thoughts? People seem to rave about the Audyssey on the Denons.

Seems like a question for the Denon fans not the HK fans... Unless I'm misunderstanding something about the question.
post #2455 of 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

If you are going to rerun EzSet/EQ...
I would suggest you do a complete Processor Reset so that the memory is totally cleared back to factory defaults..

Just my $0.02...

How do you do a processor reset? I have an avr1600. Do you recommend doing it if I'm going to add 2 rear OMD5's to my current unitheater soundbar and mm6? Or does it matter?
post #2456 of 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaked05 View Post

Well, my 354 just crapped out on me. I called HK, and they are gonna replace it with a 3600. I should get it in about 2 weeks.

Funny how they would send you a 3600 and not a 3650 though i would prefer the 3600.
post #2457 of 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by loboblast View Post

How do you do a processor reset? I have an avr1600. Do you recommend doing it if I'm going to add 2 rear OMD5's to my current unitheater soundbar and mm6? Or does it matter?

Check page 35 of the Operation Guide.

When a Processor Reset is done everything is set back to factory defaults just like when it is 1st taken out of the box, so one has to reprogram EZSet/EQ and Tuner Presets.. You can rerun just EZSet/EQ as well..

Just my $0.02..
post #2458 of 2820
Hi guys,
I haven't had the chance to read this entire (massive) thread, but I have had an avr1600 for about 1.75 years now.

It always gave me issues with my ps3. The menu "clicks" would never come out unless I consistently made them for several seconds.

I first hooked it up to cable about 6 months ago. It basically stopped producing audio for 2 seconds or so at the beginning of every commercial. On top of that, my cable box would reset to 480p daily upon restart while connected to the avr (it would stay at 1080p when connected to the tv). The audio dropouts

After a lengthy battle, the customer service people printed a shipping label for me and exchanged my 1600 for a 1600-z. Unfortunately, the 1600-z has the same issues. On top of that, I also get occasional video blackouts (less than a second) when running video through it.

I was eventually put in touch with a customer service rep located in the US (nothing against the foreign guys, but it was clearly an escalation in the hierarchy). He has sent me a label and will be swapping it out for a 1650 after I send it back. He also says that they are going to "confirm" the issue, which sounds to me like they are going to look for an excuse to deny my claims.

This unit has been such a hassle. It's unlikely that I'm going to buy anything else by HK in the future. I may even just attempt to sell it on craigslist and buy something else, but I really don't want to saddle anybody else with this piece of junk.
post #2459 of 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by blumonk View Post

Funny how they would send you a 3600 and not a 3650 though i would prefer the 3600.

I think they are sending me a 3600-z. Iirc, the -z means that it is a factor refurbished unit. So it makes sense that they would rather send me a refurb than a brand new unit. I'm happy though.

Out of curiosity, why would you rather have the 3600 than the 3650?
post #2460 of 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by beelbeel View Post

Hi guys,
I haven't had the chance to read this entire (massive) thread, but I have had an avr1600 for about 1.75 years now.

It always gave me issues with my ps3. The menu "clicks" would never come out unless I consistently made them for several seconds.

I first hooked it up to cable about 6 months ago. It basically stopped producing audio for 2 seconds or so at the beginning of every commercial. On top of that, my cable box would reset to 480p daily upon restart while connected to the avr (it would stay at 1080p when connected to the tv). The audio dropouts

After a lengthy battle, the customer service people printed a shipping label for me and exchanged my 1600 for a 1600-z. Unfortunately, the 1600-z has the same issues. On top of that, I also get occasional video blackouts (less than a second) when running video through it.

I was eventually put in touch with a customer service rep located in the US (nothing against the foreign guys, but it was clearly an escalation in the hierarchy). He has sent me a label and will be swapping it out for a 1650 after I send it back. He also says that they are going to "confirm" the issue, which sounds to me like they are going to look for an excuse to deny my claims.

This unit has been such a hassle. It's unlikely that I'm going to buy anything else by HK in the future. I may even just attempt to sell it on craigslist and buy something else, but I really don't want to saddle anybody else with this piece of junk.

I don't know what to tell you about the cable issue - but the "click" thing with the PS3 is normal for these units. It takes a second for sound to start from any source, so with the PS3 menu the first click or 2 is that "second" where it starts up. I find it a bit irritating when I am trying to play my movie intros with over my 3600 because it misses the first second of sound. I don't know why it happens, but it has been reported a lot in this thread. Same thing happens when switching sources or changing channels when the audio codec is different.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official Harman Kardon AVR 1600/2600/3600 owner's thread