Hey fellow owners, long time no post here. I apologize in advance if this is covered here somewhere but I have read so many threads my head is spinning. I am looking for how some of you may have solved some of my concerns.
While I am still very happy with the sound of my 23, the things that sucked from day one are even more glaring today.
1. No HDMI passthrough when off (most were this way)
2. Completely user non-friendly for wife and non techs ( Harmony would help but please)
3. Marginal user interface
4. Not HDMI 3D capable (not an issue back then though)
So here we are in 2011. There is HDMI passthrough on new units in standby mode that can even switch inputs not to mention the new 1.4 format or high speed which adds nothing to my needs except to render my 23 not compatable in some instances.
After a lot of research I am leaning toward keeping my 23. I don't believe there is a better AVR in my price range that has better amps circuits etc and has all the newer bells and whistles and will sound better than my current unit. So here is what I considered:
1. New AVR, Yamaha's OSD is slick and wife could use that easily with the scene presets, but (see above)
2. New cheapy AVR just to use as a switch and use 23 for sound but I do not believe that can be done to pass the signal unmolested unless I use the RCA outs and then well I am not sure about quality.
3. A 1.4 capable switch/splitter (forgot to mention I am doing the 3d thing)
4. New AVR and keep 23 as additional amp (wife is really going to love that one since I am using my old Sony AVR in this manner presently)
Well, I know this was a bit lengthy but wanted to try to be sure to capture the direction I am trying to go. This forum is home to some of the smartest people out there and I am sure there are some creative solutions to retaining these fine AVRs as they age.
Seems the new stuff is a gimmick to outdate what is otherwise a fine performing AVR. Two - three years later I don't see the AVRs in this price segment offering any better hardware in terms of amps power supplies etc. I could be wrong and am here asking. Thanks for any and all input.
Edit: You know, looking at this again, the ideal fix would be a refresh of the 23 with the 1.4 capability and passthrough via an update board/chip. Planned obselescence. BTW, I have yet to flash my firmware and still have the goofy remote power on problem. Gotta love it. My experience with this unit is not among my best. It is still cranking but may need to serve backup soon. For now still cranking.