I can post a quick review for the unit I got new from A4L last week.
Firmware is 1.47i
-No HDMI issues with sources, handshake is very fast
-using an external amp for the front 3 channels
-RF remote works good when I actually RTFM and put it in RF
I have looked at this thread and some others from the past and here are some areas that are not problems as reported in previous years:
-Subwoofer levels are correct and measured correctly by the unit - it reported the distance, levels, 6 db point, etc correctly and dialed it perfectly in each position.
-No HDMI issues - tested with Direct TV HD DVR 21-100, Xbox 360, PS3, Boxee, Oppo 93, Wii
-PS3 was removed just did it for testing to see if it was okTrinnov setup is amazing
, just the main stats screen gave me some info I cleaned up my room with physically such as:
- I had a .03 meter (1.181 inch) distance variation between my mains from position one.
- Both were exactly 32 and -32 degrees off axis in comparison to position one.
- One of my mains was 2 degrees off center, I had a little bump under the carpet - fixed that ( I believe this was telling me it was leaning forward 2 degrees)
- perfectly dialed in both stereo 2.1 and 7.1, I have a new center coming in this week so I get to do it again, but no worries.
I am using an external amp for my front 3, the power to the back 4 was clean and dynamic.
Negatives that are unique to the 972:
-none that I can really find (especially in light of some of the 2 year old threads on it!)
-HDMI and source sync is fast, there is a slight delay before the audio comes in
Positives that are unique to the 972:
-Trinnov is epic...I have not scratched the surface and I dont want to post it yet, but my other hdmi receivers are being sold without any reservation.
Features that may or not interest you:
- Less than 12 HDMI inputs (has 4)
- Single HDMI output
-Room 2 and 3 seem fully fleshed out, not just a tack on - tons of settings including another remote for room 2
-There is a whole page of just various audio tweaks in the setup like night volume, various sub trims based on the audio encoding, headphone tweaks, old school tone variance)
- no online features like pandora/netflix (I like this, I have 4 sources that have all this junk now, id prefer my receiver/SP worry about sound, room, and video - buy a boxee or something if you really need this...plus netflix = ass on 120" screen)
- Video bypass is actually doing
- scaling is working fine as well
- looks like some effort has gone into the headphone jack and settings - this seems to be largely forgotten nowadays
- it can read USB, but I havent explored the limitations and possibilities with this...I lump this in with unnecessary features, based on the manual its limited file formats...no flac = no soup for you.
Open items for my room
-Best way to get pure audio direct sound from my Oppo 93 to the audio side of 972 for CD/SACD - I think this is going to be EXT IN, but ill play with it today
-New center comes in this week - will need to place and remeasure everything
-Need to buy new sur/sur back - going from towers to onwall something I think
-I have a lot to learn on this 972, its been a while since I had this many tweaks available to me
I do have new main speakers - Philharmonic Audio - Philharmonic 2's from Dennis Murphyhttp://philharmonicaudio.com/index.html
The trinnov mic looks cooler than other mics btw...ive got it on a tripod right now for measurements.
This receiver might be worthy of a fresh owners thread, because from I have read this unit was an abomination on its debut.