or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Sherwood R-972 User Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sherwood R-972 User Thread - Page 68

post #2011 of 3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post


Sherwood (ETRON) is running the site however the R-972 receivers are refurbs even though the site doesn't reflect such. They should be updating the site...

So I've had a lot of luck buying refurb in the past...to the point where I almost feel refurbs are tested more closely than new products! Any reason I should avoid refurb in this particuler case? if it's all pretty much the same, I may just go ahead and save the 100 bux by buying it from sherwoodonlinestore.com

thanks.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #2012 of 3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvins View Post


Any reason I should avoid refurb in this particuler case?

 

90-day warranty versus 3 years.

post #2013 of 3156
gotcha - thanks.
post #2014 of 3156
1 Sale A Day has refurbished R-972s as well for today only. I'm currently rocking a Yamaha RX-V1065 which cost me pretty much the same as that, though my inner impulse-buyer is going "Hey, check it out!"...I'm probably going to be perusing the last ten or twenty pages of this thread in a minute. smile.gif
post #2015 of 3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C. View Post

1 Sale A Day has refurbished R-972s as well for today only. I'm currently rocking a Yamaha RX-V1065 which cost me pretty much the same as that, though my inner impulse-buyer is going "Hey, check it out!"...I'm probably going to be perusing the last ten or twenty pages of this thread in a minute. smile.gif

At that price it's definitely worth jumping on! The only thing I would want to make sure is that the special microphone used for calibration is included. I may try to contact 1saleaday's support to find out...
post #2016 of 3156
Picked up 1 unit from the 1 sale a day site. Replacing older Onkyo.
post #2017 of 3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvins View Post

At that price it's definitely worth jumping on! The only thing I would want to make sure is that the special microphone used for calibration is included. I may try to contact 1saleaday's support to find out...

It should include the microphone.I couldn't see the point of them selling one without one if it's a refurb,but who knows.
post #2018 of 3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

90-day warranty versus 3 years.
a cheap square trade warranty easily covers that issue..
post #2019 of 3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvins View Post

At that price it's definitely worth jumping on! The only thing I would want to make sure is that the special microphone used for calibration is included. I may try to contact 1saleaday's support to find out...
hahahaa! Sorry, had to lol as you said "1saleaday and support" in the same sentence!
you have not shopped with them much, I gather!
3 year square trade warranty came in for less than $40 for me as well. in for one!
post #2020 of 3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicguy View Post

3 year square trade warranty came in for less than $40 for me as well.

I thought squaretrade didn't cover refurbed items if not puchased on ebay?

FWIW, a guy on slickdeals apparently called Sherwood and confirmed that the mic should be included.
post #2021 of 3156
Picked one up. should be a nice upgrade from my Chiro!
post #2022 of 3156
I have a Denon 4311 already, but I picked up the R-972 from 1saleaday because the deal was too good. I think I got the last one.

I've always been interested in Trinnov, and this was the last chance to see how it is affordably. If it sounds even 90% as good as the 4311, I'll be selling my 4311.
post #2023 of 3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

I've always been interested in Trinnov, and this was the last chance to see how it is affordably. If it sounds even 90% as good as the 4311, I'll be selling my 4311.

That's what I did; actually I went from 972 > 4810 >4311 > 972
post #2024 of 3156
Just curious (as I missed it). What was the price from 1saleaday? (Edit: found out: $299. Wow. Wish I had logged in here yesterday but was too busy with work...)

It seems that prices are jumping all over the place. Last time I looked on accessories4less they had the unit for $549 and free shipping, and today it's $599 and paid shipping (nearly $100 more for me). Argh!

If buying from sherwoodonline.com, what is the best way to pick up an extended warranty?
Edited by Dr. Crash - 1/4/13 at 12:33pm
post #2025 of 3156

Hi all,

 

I ordered a R-972 last week and received the unit last night.  The R-972 is going to replace a Harman Kardon AVR-3600 that i use as a pre-pro with an Emotiva 5-channel amp in our family room.  My speakers are very budgeted oriented (Infinity Primus 360's L/C/R and 150's surround) along with a Rythmik 15" sub.  I'm hoping to install this weekend.  I've been reading for many weeks both threads and Curt's Trinnov notes.  Also, Curt was great in answering a few questions I had along with a few others posters on the threads.  

 

I'm very much looking forward to this unit as I been longing for an AVR with room correction.  I hope the difference in sound quality and presentation is night and day with Trinnov but I'll take a sunny afternoon just as good.  I've been thinking of running the surrounds off the R-972 just to take something off the amp, not that it would make any difference.  But i also had thoughts about  running the center and surrounds on the R-972 and leave the L & R on the Emotiva.  Is this a no-no in terms setups?

 

Thanks..........

post #2026 of 3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Crash View Post

Just curious (as I missed it). What was the price from 1saleaday?

 

Price was $299 (shipped) and the rumor is they will be having another sale before long. Whether the R-972 will be included in the Sherwood lot who knows. It sounds like Sherwood might actually be handling the processing and or shipping of the units... I guess we'll see (where they ship from, etc).

post #2027 of 3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augmont View Post

I'm very much looking forward to this unit as I been longing for an AVR with room correction.  I hope the difference in sound quality and presentation is night and day with Trinnov but I'll take a sunny afternoon just as good.
I replaced my H/K 2600 with the 972. The sound quality is very similar, warm and full sounding. The big difference is when using the Trinnov in the 3D mapping mode. The vocals moved from below the screen where my center channel speaker is to up on the screen where the actors are. My surround speakers also have a more spacious sound to them.
post #2028 of 3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augmont View Post

I've been thinking of running the surrounds off the R-972 just to take something off the amp, not that it would make any difference.  But i also had thoughts about  running the center and surrounds on the R-972 and leave the L & R on the Emotiva.  Is this a no-no in terms setups?

Not at all.
post #2029 of 3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Price was $299 (shipped) and the rumor is they will be having another sale before long. Whether the R-972 will be included in the Sherwood lot who knows. It sounds like Sherwood might actually be handling the processing and or shipping of the units... I guess we'll see (where they ship from, etc).

"They" as in 1saleaday or Sherwood? How can I be in that loop? It's a bit tough now as I think I have only a couple weeks to return my Denon... But since its Airplay is so terrible it is useless, I won't regret that much... As I said before the only big question mark is losing Dynamic EQ, and I'll probably be fine with that as I quite rarely watch movies, so I can get used to a higher volume for movie nights.
Edited by Dr. Crash - 1/4/13 at 9:44pm
post #2030 of 3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augmont View Post

Hi all,

 

I ordered a R-972 last week and received the unit last night.  The R-972 is going to replace a Harman Kardon AVR-3600 that i use as a pre-pro with an Emotiva 5-channel amp in our family room.  My speakers are very budgeted oriented (Infinity Primus 360's L/C/R and 150's surround) along with a Rythmik 15" sub.  I'm hoping to install this weekend.  I've been reading for many weeks both threads and Curt's Trinnov notes.  Also, Curt was great in answering a few questions I had along with a few others posters on the threads.  

 

I'm very much looking forward to this unit as I been longing for an AVR with room correction.  I hope the difference in sound quality and presentation is night and day with Trinnov but I'll take a sunny afternoon just as good.  I've been thinking of running the surrounds off the R-972 just to take something off the amp, not that it would make any difference.  But i also had thoughts about  running the center and surrounds on the R-972 and leave the L & R on the Emotiva.  Is this a no-no in terms setups?

 

Thanks..........

 

I worked setting up the R-972 last night and today.  It took awhile for many reasons but i was finally able to get it setup up.  I wasn't able to utilize a Monoprice 2x2 matix switch & splitter like i did before with my H/K 3600 as i had major handshake issues with it.  I did need to switch out a my HDMI cable from my PS3 to the R-972 to resolve a handshake issue which i believe was a thicker gauge HDMI cable but unsure really as there was no ID on the cable (bought from monoprice a few years ago).  So my question is do heavier gauge HDMI cables have an impact on handshake issues? I would like to make my 2x2 matrix work but not sure its worth the hassle or headache.

 

Thanks.

 

P.S.  I haven't completed my testing on Trinnov as i ran out of "me time" today.  I'm still trying to understand the results and whether they can be improved upon. I'll post pic when i can get "me time" again.

post #2031 of 3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augmont View Post

Hi all,

I ordered a R-972 last week and received the unit last night.  The R-972 is going to replace a Harman Kardon AVR-3600 that i use as a pre-pro with an Emotiva 5-channel amp in our family room.  My speakers are very budgeted oriented (Infinity Primus 360's L/C/R and 150's surround) along with a Rythmik 15" sub.  I'm hoping to install this weekend.  I've been reading for many weeks both threads and Curt's Trinnov notes.  Also, Curt was great in answering a few questions I had along with a few others posters on the threads.  

I'm very much looking forward to this unit as I been longing for an AVR with room correction.  I hope the difference in sound quality and presentation is night and day with Trinnov but I'll take a sunny afternoon just as good.  I've been thinking of running the surrounds off the R-972 just to take something off the amp, not that it would make any difference.  But i also had thoughts about  running the center and surrounds on the R-972 and leave the L & R on the Emotiva.  Is this a no-no in terms setups?

Thanks..........

I'm doing this with my R972 and a Cinepro 6 channel amp. Biamped the 3 front channels off of the Cinepro, R972 for side and rear surrounds and external amps/subs... sounds GREAT!


BTW... ordered a second R972 for a different room in the house from 1saleaday.
post #2032 of 3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Crash View Post


"They" as in 1saleaday or Sherwood? How can I be in that loop?

 

From the slickdeals thread... Just fyi. I called the Sherwood office to ask some questions about the 972. After a little run around, I finally got the main guy on the line!! He told me to post his info for any Sherwood issues that might arise and also said that another "1saleof the day" is coming!!

 

Also, from the same thread... I called sherwood - it does (regarding is the microphone included). it is sherwood refurbished - and sherwood works with 1SaleADay on this sale directly.

 

I believe a company was dumping them (for them) on eBay at $370 - $410 (with shipping). The $370 units sold so fast I guess they raised the price... and at their new store they are $499... http://sherwoodonlinestore.com/products-7/newcastle/receivers/newcastle-r-972-trinnov-receiver.html (I was told they are refurbs as they don't have any new stock).

 

Which leaves me some what surprised by the $299 (including shipping) one day sale. You would think they could threw them on eBay themselves and make a few more bucks. Although the one day sale had quite a number of different models and perhaps they wanted to blow them out... Any guesses if/when the $299 guys will ship and from where? :)

post #2033 of 3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augmont View Post

 

I worked setting up the R-972 last night and today.  It took awhile for many reasons but i was finally able to get it setup up.  I wasn't able to utilize a Monoprice 2x2 matix switch & splitter like i did before with my H/K 3600 as i had major handshake issues with it.  I did need to switch out a my HDMI cable from my PS3 to the R-972 to resolve a handshake issue which i believe was a thicker gauge HDMI cable but unsure really as there was no ID on the cable (bought from monoprice a few years ago).  So my question is do heavier gauge HDMI cables have an impact on handshake issues? I would like to make my 2x2 matrix work but not sure its worth the hassle or headache.

 

Thanks.

 

P.S.  I haven't completed my testing on Trinnov as i ran out of "me time" today.  I'm still trying to understand the results and whether they can be improved upon. I'll post pic when i can get "me time" again.

 

Here are my Trinnov results.  Still trying to understand the angle info but can one comment on the sound levels on what they mean or point me in the direction to where i can better understand.  Thanks.

 

 

700

 

700

post #2034 of 3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Any guesses if/when the $299 guys will ship and from where? smile.gif

If they are shipping direct from Sherwood then it will probably be there S. California office.
post #2035 of 3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augmont View Post

Here are my Trinnov results.  Still trying to understand the angle info but can one comment on the sound levels on what they mean or point me in the direction to where i can better understand.  Thanks.


700


700

If you know your center is dead set in the middle then it should read 0 on the H angle, just turn the Trinnov mic a little left or right until it reads 0 degrees.
post #2036 of 3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

If you know your center is dead set in the middle then it should read 0 on the H angle, just turn the Trinnov mic a little left or right until it reads 0 degrees.

Also unless your L/R are not at the same height, it appears from their different vertical angles that the mic is tilted to the right or left
post #2037 of 3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post


Also unless your L/R are not at the same height, it appears from their different vertical angles that the mic is tilted to the right or left

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post


If you know your center is dead set in the middle then it should read 0 on the H angle, just turn the Trinnov mic a little left or right until it reads 0 degrees.

thanks........I should have paid closer attention  to the mic and speaker alignment.  my fronts are the same the heights.  

post #2038 of 3156

I have a video question setting.  When setting the video scaling to by pass, is the "v.scaling" supposed to light up (my does)?  When i set to auto "v.scaling" goes away. 

post #2039 of 3156
see post #1266 in this thread:
The video upscaling light and indicator seem to be the opposite of what one would expect. When I select "bypass" both the red indicator light and "V.UPSCALE" indicators come on. These indicators then turn off when I select either "Auto" or any video mode other than bypass.

response was:
Sherwood indicated their receiver seems to behave the same way as mine - meaning indicator lights are on when bypass is on
Edited by 2bitsamile - 1/6/13 at 11:12pm
post #2040 of 3156
Was there a warranty (90 days?) from Sherwood on the 1saleaday units? thanks,alex
Edited by 2bitsamile - 1/6/13 at 11:36pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Sherwood R-972 User Thread