or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › New DVDO iScan Duo [2.0 firmware released]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New DVDO iScan Duo [2.0 firmware released] - Page 6

post #151 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Doesn't the DUO and the EDGE have the same chips, or are they very different?

They are both based on the ABT2010, but you could always open it up and take a look
post #152 of 3835
Is there any difference between the Edge and the Duo feature wise apart from the coonections?
post #153 of 3835
Well for one the DUO does handle DSD over HDMI. That and the extra HDMI inputs are two of the reasons I decided to get the DUO.(The DUO also has two HDMI video/audio outputs(the EDGE has one) and they both have an HDMi audio only output) But I only use one HDMI video/audio output. But at least it's there if I ever need it.

And the EDGE did evolve into something much more than was initially planned. If that also happens with the DUO then it would be excellent. Currently they both seem very similar, but the DUO has just been released while the EDGE has been out a year.

I will say one other thing I miss from the EDGE is the internal power supply. The DUO housing looks just like the housings that were used with VP50pro, VP50 etc. And those all had an external power supply, just like the DUO. It's not really a big deal, and I guess it does also cut down on heat inside the unit.
post #154 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Well for one the DUO does handle DSD over HDMI. That and the extra HDMI inputs are two of the reasons I decided to get the DUO.(The DUO also has two HDMI video/audio outputs(the EDGE has one) and they both have an HDMi audio only output) But I only use one HDMI video/audio output. But at least it's there if I ever need it.

And the EDGE did evolve into something much more than was initially planned. If that also happens with the DUO then it would be excellent. Currently they both seem very similar, but the DUO has just been released while the EDGE has been out a year.

I will say one other thing I miss from the EDGE is the internal power supply. The DUO housing looks just like the housings that were used with VP50pro, VP50 etc. And those all had an external power supply, just like the DUO. It's not really a big deal, and I guess it does also cut down on heat inside the unit.

Thanks Aaron
post #155 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

They are both based on the ABT2010, but you could always open it up and take a look

post #156 of 3835
I had some time this morning while my girlfriend was doing her daily Taebo routine.

I tried out a Chris Botti Live BD which has 5.1 24 bit/96khz PCM on it and also Natures Journey which has 5.0 24/96 DTS-MA audio.

I had no problem passing either through the DUO. The Natures Journey disc I had the PS3 Slim and BD35 decode first. But either way the DUO passed them without any issues.

So there is something going on with the OPPO when connected to the DUO. It works fine now with multichannel DSD over HDMI and multichannel PCM at 88KHz or lower. But for some reason when the OPPO tries to send multichannel 96Khz PCM through the DUO it will only send two channels. I have no idea what would cause it, but the 980 is an older unit.

Are there any inexpensive SACD/DVD-A payers that pass DSD over HDMI out there? If so I might just swap out my OPPO, or I can just connect it directly to my Denon 3808. Although I would prefer to keep it connected to the EDGE since that is my choice to use on the rare occasion I watch a DVD. Although I guess I could use the PS3 slim for that now since it only draws around 65 watts. I'll have to give it a try.
post #157 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

They are both based on the ABT2010, but you could always open it up and take a look



I paid for the three year warranty with my EDGE so I don't want to void my warranty.(although looking back I probably should have just gone with the normal one year warranty and saved the $100 since I seem to upgrade almost every year. So if something comes out again in a year I would get a new unit and i don't think the extended warranty is transferable)

I did notice there is a ton of open space inside the unit. Especially with no internal power supply. At least there should be no possibility of heat issues with all that space and plenty of air holes on top to dissipate any heat.
post #158 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

...I guess I could use the PS3 slim for that now since it only draws around 65 watts. I'll have to give it a try.

FYI: The PS3 hasn't supported SACD since the original launch 60GB model. It has never supported DVD-A.
post #159 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Well for one the DUO does handle DSD over HDMI. That and the extra HDMI inputs are two of the reasons I decided to get the DUO.(The DUO also has two HDMI video/audio outputs(the EDGE has one) and they both have an HDMi audio only output) But I only use one HDMI video/audio output. But at least it's there if I ever need it.

And the EDGE did evolve into something much more than was initially planned. If that also happens with the DUO then it would be excellent. Currently they both seem very similar, but the DUO has just been released while the EDGE has been out a year.

I will say one other thing I miss from the EDGE is the internal power supply. The DUO housing looks just like the housings that were used with VP50pro, VP50 etc. And those all had an external power supply, just like the DUO. It's not really a big deal, and I guess it does also cut down on heat inside the unit.

It also introduces the prospect of upgraded power supplies which could be purchased separately, without replacing the whole unit. If ABT wants to go that way, of course.
post #160 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

It also introduces the prospect of upgraded power supplies which could be purchased separately, without replacing the whole unit. If ABT wants to go that way, of course.

I think they were wise to go back to this vs. continuing on with the internal PSU.
post #161 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDgaming42 View Post

FYI: The PS3 hasn't supported SACD since the original launch 60GB model. It has never supported DVD-A.

I meant on the rare occasion for DVD playback. I still have a PS3 Fat but it eats electricity which is why I never really used it for SACD playback.
post #162 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I meant on the rare occasion for DVD playback. I still have a PS3 Fat but it eats electricity which is why I never really used it for SACD playback.

Ahhh, gotcha.
post #163 of 3835
I have a question for CIH users would it be better a seperate video processor like the duo do a better job in vertically stretching the image than the Jvc Rs10?
post #164 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I had some time this morning while my girlfriend was doing her daily Taebo routine.

I tried out a Chris Botti Live BD which has 5.1 24 bit/96khz PCM on it and also Natures Journey which has 5.0 24/96 DTS-MA audio.

I had no problem passing either through the DUO. The Natures Journey disc I had the PS3 Slim and BD35 decode first. But either way the DUO passed them without any issues.

So there is something going on with the OPPO when connected to the DUO. It works fine now with multichannel DSD over HDMI and multichannel PCM at 88KHz or lower. But for some reason when the OPPO tries to send multichannel 96Khz PCM through the DUO it will only send two channels. I have no idea what would cause it, but the 980 is an older unit.

Are there any inexpensive SACD/DVD-A payers that pass DSD over HDMI out there? If so I might just swap out my OPPO, or I can just connect it directly to my Denon 3808. Although I would prefer to keep it connected to the EDGE since that is my choice to use on the rare occasion I watch a DVD. Although I guess I could use the PS3 slim for that now since it only draws around 65 watts. I'll have to give it a try.

I have that Chris Botti BD, and with my Pioneer 09 going through my EDGE it is notorious for sync issues because the audio goes directly to my stereo (via analog), the video through the EDGE via HDMI, and the lag is obvious. I resorted to Game mode on the EDGE to get rid of it. Did you have any sync issues with either analog or HDMI outs using the Duo?

With my Oppo 83, audio and video travel via HDMI through the EDGE and to my Pioneer 111FD plasma; no sync issues.
post #165 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

I have that Chris Botti BD, and with my Pioneer 09 going through my EDGE it is notorious for sync issues because the audio goes directly to my stereo (via analog), the video through the EDGE via HDMI, and the lag is obvious. I resorted to Game mode on the EDGE to get rid of it. Did you have any sync issues with either analog or HDMI outs using the Duo?

With my Oppo 83, audio and video travel via HDMI through the EDGE and to my Pioneer 111FD plasma; no sync issues.

I don't use any analog connections. I'm only using digital by HDMI.

With HDMI i've had no sync issues.
post #166 of 3835
This has to be the softest landing for a DVDO product I've ever seen. Is Aaron the only person that actually bought the thing?

I'm used to seeing DVDO threads lit up like Christmas for weeks before a product gets released and then even more so afterwards.

What gives?
post #167 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I don't use any analog connections. I'm only using digital by HDMI.

With HDMI i've had no sync issues.

Based on my experience the HDMI result makes sense. But with analog outs, it seems that the audio going straight to the stereo arrives faster because the video is held up to be processed (even if slightly).

So unless someone out there is using a Duo with analog audio and can give a report to the contrary, I'll operate on the premise that the Duo's processing speed is no greater than the EDGE's. Does the Duo have a Game output mode?
post #168 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ View Post

This has to be the softest landing for a DVDO product I've ever seen. Is Aaron the only person that actually bought the thing?

I'm used to seeing DVDO threads lit up like Christmas for weeks before a product gets released and then even more so afterwards.

What gives?

Good video processing chips already in players and AVRs.
post #169 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Good video processing chips already in players and AVRs.

^^ This is a very good point. No denying that gap has been closed significantly on that front.
post #170 of 3835
Yeah very good point...I'm in the market for a new AVR and I'm so torn between buying an EDGE + an Onkyo 1007 OR just the 3007. From what I've been hearing/reading, the REON implementation is especially good in the 3007/5007 so I'm wondering whether the EDGE is even worth it?

Decisions decisions
post #171 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ View Post

This has to be the softest landing for a DVDO product I've ever seen. Is Aaron the only person that actually bought the thing?

I'm used to seeing DVDO threads lit up like Christmas for weeks before a product gets released and then even more so afterwards.

What gives?

I agree, its seems like there is no excitement about the product.I guess its getting to the stage where people don't care about video processors anymore.
post #172 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ View Post

This has to be the softest landing for a DVDO product I've ever seen. Is Aaron the only person that actually bought the thing?

I'm used to seeing DVDO threads lit up like Christmas for weeks before a product gets released and then even more so afterwards.

What gives?

And originally I had no plans to purchase the DUO since I had been very satisfied with the EDGE.
post #173 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I am doing a review (hopefully be finished tonite) on the JVC DLA HD550 so the second I am aloud to talk (NDA lifted) I will begin my DUO review.

How's the review coming along and when do you think it will go live?
post #174 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

How's the review coming along and when do you think it will go live?

Is it likely that the NDA will be lifted ?

Depends on the terms of the agreement I suppose.
We assume once sales are announced by DVDO that this releases the people from their NDA but maybe they are still bound by its detail ?

Perhaps we may have to wait for a review via the conventional means.
post #175 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Good video processing chips already in players and AVRs.

And the EDGE may have siphoned off some of the potential audience. Low-rez sources may be dwindling too, as time goes on. I have a combi-player and a cable box that need the help, but if I'm willing to give up some convenience my Pioneer 09 and Oppo 83 could go straight to the TV. Still, I think the Duo will have features some need.

Since my system is straight 2-channel I need a video hub at least, which is part of the reason for buying the EDGE.
post #176 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post


Since my system is straight 2-channel I need a video hub at least, which is part of the reason for buying the EDGE.

vs. a $40 HDMI switch? Many people have a component input or two on their display for older devices. I also found the Edge did not help for cable 480i or actually anything with resolution and compression worse than SD DVD.
post #177 of 3835
There were a couple of issues that put me off using the Edge:

- The Edge doesn't support auto widescreen switching on SD over HDMI (the VP50 Pro does support this).

- The Edge doesn't have a memory for aspect ratios. What I mean is, if you want to zoom a 2.35:1 image to eliminate the black bars, you have to do that manually by pressing the zoom button on the remote a few times - you can't do it by sending a single command. Also you can't use the Edge in a setup where you use a 2.35 screen without an anamorphic lens and get it to switch correctly between 16:9 or 4:3 and 2.35:1.

Is the Duo the same as the Edge in these respects?

Also what type of comb filter does the Duo have?
post #178 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

vs. a $40 HDMI switch? Many people have a component input or two on their display for older devices. I also found the Edge did not help for cable 480i or actually anything with resolution and compression worse than SD DVD.

In my case, there are legacy sources (S-Video) and the EDGE provides some slight improvement over going direct to the display. Plus, at the time of purchase, I had no HDMi devices and the TV had insufficient analog connections.
post #179 of 3835
I know with my EDGE or DUO, viewing 480i content over HDMI from either broadcast, DVD, or video streaming easily shows an improvement when going through the DUO or Edge.
Compared to goig through my Denon 3808 or straight to my TVs. Now perhaps if I had one of the newer Denons with the ABT chip in , this might not be the case, but the DUO is also more versatile.
post #180 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I know with my EDGE or DUO, viewing 480i content over HDMI from either broadcast, DVD, or video streaming easily shows an improvement when going through the DUO or Edge.
Compared to goig through my Denon 3808 or straight to my TVs. Now perhaps if I had one of the newer Denons with the ABT chip in , this might not be the case, but the DUO is also more versatile.

Aaron you have both I just want a seperate processor for Vertical Stretching (its going to be better than whats inside the projector) which would you think be better? At the moment im leaning more towards the Edge being they have the same chip.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › New DVDO iScan Duo [2.0 firmware released]