or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › New DVDO iScan Duo [2.0 firmware released]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New DVDO iScan Duo [2.0 firmware released] - Page 8

post #211 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

BTW, I have absolutely no plans to do the Gefen (if one ever makes it out of development that is)...

Well you sure did your best to build it up....until it fell through. Now you "have no plans to do it" as if Gefen will be asking you to??? Come on, it was a no-go from the beginning and you know it.
post #212 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

Well you sure did your best to build it up....until it fell through. Now you "have no plans to do it" as if Gefen will be asking you to??? Come on, it was a no-go from the beginning and you know it.

Exactly how did I "build" it up? Trust me, Gefen would love to have me work on it with them. They are still "stuck" and I am smart enough to avoid a "trainwreck" when I see one. Let's face it, with the amount of input options it was doomed from the start...
post #213 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Exactly how did I "build" it up?

Maybe here?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post15924289
I guess your memory is failing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Trust me, Gefen would love to have me work on it with them. They are still "stuck" and I am smart enough to avoid a "trainwreck" when I see one. Let's face it, with the amount of input options it was doomed from the start...

So you "avoided it" or you just never received it?

I think you just need to take your medicine and move on.
post #214 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

Maybe here?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post15924289
I guess your memory is failing.



So you "avoided it" or you just never received it?

I think you just need to take your medicine and move on.

Wow, you must really be concerned about a Gefen product hanging out in a DVDO thread. I thought you were still in love with your Denon VP? Makes sense...
post #215 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

Maybe here?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post15924289
I guess your memory is failing.



So you "avoided it" or you just never received it?

I think you just need to take your medicine and move on.

Oh and "for the record" I have not heard from them since August. That was the last I spoke with them about the VP in question... That is all I can say about it... And that is all I will...

NOW BACK TO THE DVDO DUO THREAD...
post #216 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Wow, you must really be concerned about a Gefen product hanging out in a DVDO thread. I thought you were still in love with your Denon VP? Makes sense...

No reply. Just want to preserve this post for future reference.
post #217 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Oh and "for the record" I have not heard from them since August. That was the last I spoke with them about the VP in question... That is all I can say about it... And that is all I will...

NOW BACK TO THE DVDO DUO THREAD...

No reply. Same as above.
post #218 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

No reply. Same as above.

I don't know what your problem is... I think I know why many reviewers don't hang out in forums anymore... What do you want? I don't review pre production units. The gefen is not even close to coming out. End of story.
For now on I won't be making any comments about what I am up to. If it weren't for another review I posted a month or so(which showed a pic of the DUO) nobody would have knew I had one...

Just another reason I have been hanging out less and less here...
post #219 of 3835
Ah why is joerod getting hassled? I look forward to reading his reviews. Who cares about the other products this is the Duo thread let's leave it as the duo thread.
post #220 of 3835
For some of us..... (like me)

Its a "social skills" thing..........

Just ask Sheldon on Big Bang Theory.......
post #221 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoStevo View Post

For some of us..... (like me)

Its a "social skills" thing..........

Just ask Sheldon on Big Bang Theory.......

Exactly. If he had them he could have dated the pretty girl across the hall.
post #222 of 3835
Hey as long as we are in the controversy mode here is what I think is the current state of video processing. All VP not as capable and expensive as a VP50 or not as cheap as a decent chip in a player, AVR or display is not worth the money.
post #223 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Maybe later this week.

What I'd like to know is, if you used the Duo with an Oppo 83 running Source Direct output with 4:3 material and was the OAR maintained to the display? This is one complaint I have about the 83/EDGE combo. Take your time, though.
post #224 of 3835
[quote=prepress;17394108]What I'd like to know is, if you used the Duo with an Oppo 83 running Source Direct output with 4:3 material and was the OAR maintained to the display? This is one complaint I have about the 83/EDGE combo. Take your time, though.[/QUOTE

That's an easy one. Yes, it is maintained with AR Auto set to on.
post #225 of 3835
[quote=joerod;17394169]
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

What I'd like to know is, if you used the Duo with an Oppo 83 running Source Direct output with 4:3 material and was the OAR maintained to the display? This is one complaint I have about the 83/EDGE combo. Take your time, though.[/QUOTE

That's an easy one. Yes, it is maintained with AR Auto set to on.

Then, even if the processing chip is the same ABT2010, there is a different implementation of that chip or perhaps different software. "AR Auto" isn't a setting found in the EDGE. Despite my EDGE being not quite 1 year old, the Duo starts to look good.
post #226 of 3835
My report is up. Just follow the link in my signature and you can read it. I have 76 pics included in it so it would be a pain to post it here.
post #227 of 3835
[quote=prepress;17394233]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post


Then, even if the processing chip is the same ABT2010, there is a different implementation of that chip or perhaps different software. "AR Auto" isn't a setting found in the EDGE. Despite my EDGE being not quite 1 year old, the Duo starts to look good.


I will post this pic for you.
LL
post #228 of 3835
[quote=joerod;17396742]
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post



I will post this pic for you.

Nice review, Thanks!
post #229 of 3835
[quote=aaronwt;17397278]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post


Nice review, Thanks!

Thanks aaron.

I just made a few minor updates to it...
post #230 of 3835
Hopefully I am finished. I realized I left out one of my paragraphs!
post #231 of 3835
Good review Joe
post #232 of 3835
Interesting review, Joe.

I do have one comment about this statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

SD dvds sending in 1080p (depends on the player you are using-results will vary) and then letting the DUO use Prep (mentioned above) worked nicely. I would almost argue that it was just as good or better then sending in 480i and having the DUO deinterlace to 1080p. Either way you truly can't go wrong.

PReP cannot undo scaling, just deinterlacing. So in this scenario, PReP is undoing 1080i deinterlacing which never happened, so I would argue that you would be better off with a DVD player that output 480i like the Oppos (DVD and BD players).
post #233 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

My report is up. Just follow the link in my signature and you can read it. I have 76 pics included in it so it would be a pain to post it here.

Thanks joerod! Unfortunately I can see the screenshots (without signing up). Any chance you could put them inline in the article?
post #234 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Interesting review, Joe.

I do have one comment about this statement:



PReP cannot undo scaling, just deinterlacing. So in this scenario, PReP is undoing 1080i deinterlacing which never happened, so I would argue that you would be better off with a DVD player that output 480i like the Oppos (DVD and BD players).

Actually what I mean is the Blu ray player sending in 480i versus it sending in 1080p and the DUO using PreP on it.
post #235 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENN0 View Post

Thanks joerod! Unfortunately I can see the screenshots (without signing up). Any chance you could put them inline in the article?

There are 76 pics. PM me and I will try and help you.
post #236 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Good review Joe

Thanks.
post #237 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Actually what I mean is the Blu ray player sending in 480i versus it sending in 1080p and the DUO using PreP on it.

PReP is never used if the source material is 480i and the player is sending 1080p.
post #238 of 3835
That's not what I mean. And I explain what PreP is in the front end of my review. I tried to clean it up a little so it makes sense. The player sending in 480i versus it sending 1080p and the DUO doing PreP (on 1080p only of course)...
post #239 of 3835
If this is what you mean there will be no PReP.

480i -> 480p -> 1080p -> DUO
post #240 of 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

If this is what you mean there will be no PReP.

480i -> 480p -> 1080p -> DUO

I give up. I meant the player sending straight 480i and the DUO sending 1080p (without PreP) versus the player sending in 1080p (on its own) and there being PreP... I edited that part so it makes sense now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › New DVDO iScan Duo [2.0 firmware released]