Started framing in the false wall this week. Gotta say... I'm a little over my head, since the ceiling is 1/2" off from left to right. Why is this a problem? Well I don't have much room above the screen - the 110" SMX ProCurv is 53.5" with the frame. My stage is 11" tall and the total height left is only 83.5". My minimum height for the screen - based on the Riser Height Calculator - is @ 30" - so the screen frame must go all the way to the top of the ceiling. If I build a window Width = 123" - Height = 53.5", then I will have a 1/2" gap at the top right of the screen between the ceiling. I can only level to the stage since I know that is level. The ceiling is totally throwing me off. Plus, there isn't a straight 2x4 in all of Michigan, so framing those vertical studs stunk. Twisted, warped, crap.... What measure 123" on the bottom, is about 123 1/2" on the top. What a pain in the butt! Not sure what to do... I have three choices I think:
1. Build the window level with the stage and have the gap at the top right. Fill it in with a ripped piece of 1x going from 0 - 1/2" gradually and fill the gap - cover with fabric.
2. Just put up some fabric stapled to the ceiling and screen frame in the back.
3. Drop the "window" height a little lower 1 1/2", put up a top plate screwed into the ceiling and then mount the frame to the ceiling and back off the screws on the top right to leave a small gap. Since the window will be painted black and the back is black linacoustic - maybe no one would notice.
Not sure of what else I could do. Remember, I'm not a carpenter, so all of this is totally a newbie DIY'er.
Maybe there is a better way...
BTW, got in the sconces, stage lights, riser lights and lobby light. GE works, as well as the accessory panel in the lobby. I installed everything before paint and wainscoting (subbing that out) to make sure everything works. I also got the speaker binding posts mounted in the wall.
I obviously got up the Linacoustic, had some frustrated time on my hands and wanted to accomplish something. I used the 3M #80 Vinyl/Rubber Spray Adhesive and rubbed it all down with a 2x4 to ensure it adhered well to the wall. Looks nice I must say. Man, what an effect on the acoustics. It's so much deader in there now. Note to anyone installing that stuff - I never read this - but that stuff is waaaay itchier than standard insulation. I'm itching like crazy sitting here typing this. Off for a cold shower....haven't taken one of those in a while.
Here are some updated pics:
My Screen "Window" Challenge:
Stage with Linacoustic and False Wall started: