or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Insignia NS-BRDVD3 - Netflix & BD-Live - Want Your Opinions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Insignia NS-BRDVD3 - Netflix & BD-Live - Want Your Opinions

post #1 of 1008
Thread Starter 
I found this new Blu-Ray player on Best Buy's website and wanted to know what you think about it. The feature set looks nice and I'm thinking it would be a great first BD player. I'd say for $180, it sounds pretty nice. Anyway, what do you think?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218096447923
  • Dolby TrueHD decoder
  • Netflix streaming capability
  • BD-Live ready

I know that Netflix has a more limited selection of streaming HD movies. Do you feel it's worth the price or is the selection too limited?
post #2 of 1008
Wow, that's interesting. I have the Insignia NS-BDLIVE01 and for the price ($100 when it was on sale) I'm very happy with it. I use a Roku box (also $100) for Netflix streaming and really enjoy it.

I wonder if there will be a firmware upgrade for the NS-BDLIVE01 to allow Netflix streaming....that would be very cool.
post #3 of 1008
Thread Starter 
I just got off the phone with my local Best Buy. Supposedly they might get some in Friday. If so, I may have to post a review on Saturday
post #4 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawiyo View Post

I just got off the phone with my local Best Buy. Supposedly they might get some in Friday. If so, I may have to post a review on Saturday

Looking forward to your review.
post #5 of 1008
If you want built in wireless streaming you will need to go one step up:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218096448903
post #6 of 1008
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtaOnly View Post

If you want built in wireless streaming you will need to go one step up:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218096448903

Thanks for the info. Wired is just fine for me but I'm sure it'll help someone else.
post #7 of 1008
My router is about 30 feet away from my home theater, built in wireless would be less of a hassle.

After looking over the spec pages of these new blu-ray players it looks like the only way they connect to your TV is through HDMI. There are no component video, composite or S-video outputs on these players. Is this right?
post #8 of 1008
Thread Starter 
Vin,
On the one I posted as well as the one you posted, in the photo, it has component video out however in the specs, it doesn't. Hmm odd.

Oh btw, I'm in Bel Air, MD
post #9 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtaOnly View Post


After looking over the spec pages of these new blu-ray players it looks like the only way they connect to your TV is through HDMI. There are no component video, composite or S-video outputs on these players. Is this right?

The spec page is wrong...it happens.
post #10 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post

The spec page is wrong...it happens.

Yes it does. Thanks Vin.

I thought the "analog sunset" was at hand:
http://arstechnica.com/media/news/20...nalog-hole.ars
post #11 of 1008
Thread Starter 
I feel like broke a promise to you Vin. I ended up buying the Samsung BD-P1600 instead. I use Pandora A LOT and it sold me over the Insignia especially only being $20 more.
post #12 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawiyo View Post

I feel like broke a promise to you Vin. I ended up buying the Samsung BD-P1600 instead. I use Pandora A LOT and it sold me over the Insignia especially only being $20 more.

That's it, we're through, I'll never speak to you again.

Hey, I had the Samsung 1600 before the Insignia NS-BDLIVE01 but returned it because of lip sync issues with Netflix streaming as well as with Blu-rays. I'm sure I just had a bum unit, although others have posted lip sync issues with the 1600.

Hopefully (most likely) yours will be issue free.....good luck.

BTW, the new Insignia NS-BRDVD3 with Netflix streaming that you were considering is on sale starting tomorrow (Sunday) for $150. I've got my fingers crossed that the NS-BDLIVE01 eventually gets a firmware update to enable Netflix streaming.
post #13 of 1008
I just bought one and it doesn't output regular DTS so buyer beware. I'm about to return mine...
post #14 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbos2k View Post

I just bought one and it doesn't output regular DTS so buyer beware. I'm about to return mine...

You must have something misconfigured, mine outputs DTS no problem, including Netflix streaming.

Vince
post #15 of 1008
I picked one up earlier today (great price). So far the only issue is that browseing in Netflix between areas (Switching form say Queue to recently watched) is very slow. Also has anyone else been able to pause a Netflix stream with this unit? The pause button did not do anything on my unit...

Ok another issue or two... I did the online update and rebooted... but it wants to run the same update (It cannot) and keeps displaying that it wants to update. Also the upper right hand corner shows DEMO for some reason....
post #16 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesslvm View Post

You must have something misconfigured, mine outputs DTS no problem, including Netflix streaming.

Vince

You're right vince. For some reason my surround sound cannot detect regular DTS but it can detect regular Dolby Digital surround sound from the Insignia NS-BDLIVE01 (I exchanged/returned the NS-BRDVD3). My surround sound system is a Panasonic SC-PT760 DVD Home Theater System. My settings in the NS-BDLIVE01 is PCM-Off, Bitstream-BitstreamHD. I use HDMI for video and Optical Cable for sound. Any help is appreciated.
post #17 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbos2k View Post

You're right vince. For some reason my surround sound cannot detect regular DTS but it can detect regular Dolby Digital surround sound from the Insignia NS-BDLIVE01 (I exchanged/returned the NS-BRDVD3). My surround sound system is a Panasonic SC-PT760 DVD Home Theater System. My settings in the NS-BDLIVE01 is PCM-Off, Bitstream-BitstreamHD. I use HDMI for video and Optical Cable for sound. Any help is appreciated.

See my answer in the BD-LIVE01 thread. You're all-in-one DVD system doesn't decode DTS from external devices, has nothing do with the player.
post #18 of 1008
I wonder how different the BRDVD3 is from the BRDVD2/BDLIVE01 since the last two were effectively identical when the firmware was updated. The BRDVD3 looks different in the images on BB's site. But the version with Wi-Fi looks just like the BDLIVE01/BRDVD2.
post #19 of 1008
Picked up one of these units today to replace the piece of crap Samsung BD-P1500 players. Could not get Netflix as the firmware was pulled from the site. Firmware according to customer support will be available on Friday October 2, 2009. So far everythingI put in this unit works.

Dolby True HD Sound works good.
post #20 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post

I've got my fingers crossed that the NS-BDLIVE01 eventually gets a firmware update to enable Netflix streaming.

I called Insignia and was told that there won't be a firmware update for Netflix streaming for the NS-BDLIVE01. And for those who haven't already heard, the update for this feature for the NS-BRDVD3 is supposedly coming mid-October, since it's not pre-loaded on these players as it was originally thought to be.
post #21 of 1008
I bought the Insignia NS-BRDVD3 a few weeks ago and love it. From what I can tell, the picture is as good as any other BD player excluding high end models that I have never seen before. Cant beat the price either.
post #22 of 1008
Firmware update in now available for this unit. Netflix now working on this unit
post #23 of 1008
For anyone interested if you have a Best Buy reward zone membership, you can get the NS-BRDVD3 for $99.99

Here is the link but I don't know if you can see it unless you have a RewardZone membership.
https://myrewardzone.bestbuy.com/pre...ferCode=22234P

It is good through 10/24.
post #24 of 1008
$100 for a Netflix ready BD player is very tempting. Will call my sister and let her know.
post #25 of 1008
does this support netflix hd streaming?
post #26 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by daigoro View Post

does this support netflix hd streaming?

+1
post #27 of 1008
I just picked up a Wireless Netflix model tonight. If you check your Reward Zone Premier Silver (I think it's 2,000 plus in a year at Best Buy) account, you'll find a coupon for 99.99 for the non-wireless and 149.99 for the wireless Insignia players. I picked up that wireless one and will be hooking it up tomorrow night when my desktop is back from HP (broken harddrive), so I can hook it up to my network, download firmware, and program my Harmony One. I'll let you know how it goes.
post #28 of 1008
big ups to jd for the best buy rewardzone link. Its a $50 printable coupon, for in store purchase on either the wired or wireless model. Just printed my coupon, grabbing one tomorrow.
post #29 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by daigoro View Post

does this support netflix hd streaming?

+2

Thinking about buying this for a girlfriend for her birthday. She primarily wants it for Netflix streaming.

I was also considering the LG BD370.

Thoughts?
post #30 of 1008
So I just got the wireless version of this player. Everything works great except I cant get it to connect to my wireless network. It detects it, but it fails everytime to connect to it.

Anyone else having this problem??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Insignia NS-BRDVD3 - Netflix & BD-Live - Want Your Opinions