or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Insignia NS-BRDVD3 - Netflix & BD-Live - Want Your Opinions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Insignia NS-BRDVD3 - Netflix & BD-Live - Want Your Opinions - Page 27

post #781 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makav3li View Post

Are there feature differences between this and the elite version other than wifi?

In other words, if running a wire to the player isn't a problem, is there any reason to get the elite version over this player?

If you mean between the NS-WBRDVD & the NS-BRDVD3, then I am almost certain the only difference is the built in wifi adapter in the NS-WBRDVD.
post #782 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsurd2 View Post

FWIW...I also own both a BD-P1590 and an NS-BRDVD3. I don't see any difference in PQ either viewing a BD or streaming Netflix movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franke46 View Post

Really? Are you watching it at 1080P?

How about noise? My samsung's drive is completely silent, although you can hear the cooling fan a little bit, the insignia on the other hand makes quite a bit of noise, similar to a PC dvd drive speeding up.

Franke46

Really! Yup, 1080p. As for noise, the BRDVD3 can just be heard (vs the 1590) when loading a BD but both units are equally quiet when playing a disc.
post #783 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makav3li View Post

Are there feature differences between this and the elite version other than wifi?

In other words, if running a wire to the player isn't a problem, is there any reason to get the elite version over this player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFelon View Post

If you mean between the NS-WBRDVD & the NS-BRDVD3, then I am almost certain the only difference is the built in wifi adapter in the NS-WBRDVD.

And hard wired connection to router is usually faster and less flaky than wii-fi connection.
post #784 of 1008
Has anyone run these units wired and wireless and have any comment on the difference in netflix streaming?
I just joined Netflix last week...on the Insignia wireless unit the movie can vary from being quite good to being a little jerky
On the Samsung 1600, that is wired via a powerline adapter, it is pretty good most of the time....also sometimes its a little jerky

of the two..the Samsung consistently has a better performance than the Insignia with net Flix

Both can be a little noisy at start-up and loading of disc...but no noise from either when playing discs

I bought both units as open box items from Best Buy...I bought the Insignia for $113...unit was still in the original packaging..it looked like some one had just opened the box and then returned it without ever opening the packaging
I bought the Samsung for $74.00...it was shelf display with just the unit and the remote...nothing else



Warren
post #785 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_budz View Post

I use BDREBUILDER to convert Blu-Ray movies to fit on a Verbatim DVD+R Dual layer disc. Can this Insignia BS-BRDVD3 player playback Blu-ray conversions that uses the Verbatim DVD+R Dual Layer discs? I'd like to know before I pull the trigger on this Insignia blu-ray player. It would be one of the deciding factors other than using it for live streaming from Netflix.

I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks in advance!

My Insignia player plays DVD+R DL just fine. I can't say that I have used verbatim brand...however I have used some really cheap no-name one I had..and they work just fine

Something that the Samsung player I have will not do...amazing that Samsung blu ray players still do not play +R


Warren
post #786 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franke46 View Post

Really? Are you watching it at 1080P?

How about noise? My samsung's drive is completely silent, although you can hear the cooling fan a little bit, the insignia on the other hand makes quite a bit of noise, similar to a PC dvd drive speeding up.

Franke46

I own the Insignia WRBDVD and the Samsung 1600 and I don't see any difference in blu ray or standard DVD playback. They both make some noise while they are loading...but both silent during playback
I also have a Pioneer player that is higher end than either of those units and one that I paid much more for also....its drive is dead silent during disc load...its standard DVD up conversion is much better and it has umpteen video adjustments that the Insignia and Samsung don't have

Blu ray playback looks the same on all three


Warren
post #787 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

My Insignia player plays DVD+R DL just fine. I can't say that I have used verbatim brand...however I have used some really cheap no-name one I had..and they work just fine

Something that the Samsung player I have will not do...amazing that Samsung blu ray players still do not play +R


Warren


Yeah, it plays DVD+R and DVD-R just fine.

Oh, wait. DL? I don't burn many DL. I did play one, but can't remember if it was +R or -R.
post #788 of 1008
Hello,

I have several AVI files that do not play on my unit. I know it has something to do with the way they were encoded. Can anyone offer any advice on what I should use to re-encode them and what settings to use in order to playback on my NS-WBRDVD?

Thanks in advance,

-PB
post #789 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post

Yeah, it plays DVD+R and DVD-R just fine.

Oh, wait. DL? I don't burn many DL. I did play one, but can't remember if it was +R or -R.

DL discs will play just fine on the Insignia
They WILL NOT play on a Samsung...well at least they will not play on the 09 models( 1600,3600,4600)


Warren
post #790 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyby7 View Post

Hello,

I have several AVI files that do not play on my unit. I know it has something to do with the way they were encoded. Can anyone offer any advice on what I should use to re-encode them and what settings to use in order to playback on my NS-WBRDVD?

Thanks in advance,

-PB

Try this program, and see if you like it. http://www.any-video-converter.com/p...or_video_free/ It's simply to use, just add the video file you want to convert, select the format you want it converted to from a drop down menu box, and hit the convert button.
post #791 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

DL discs will play just fine on the Insignia
They WILL NOT play on a Samsung...well at least they will not play on the 09 models( 1600,3600,4600)


Warren

Yes but he was asking about Dual Layer AVCHD formatted discs.
http://community.insigniaproducts.co...ight/true#M794

I can watch regular Dual Layer DVD-/+Rs DVD formatted movies no problems as well.
post #792 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Try this program, and see if you like it. http://www.any-video-converter.com/p...or_video_free/ It's simply to use, just add the video file you want to convert, select the format you want it converted to from a drop down menu box, and hit the convert button.

Thanks Westly-C! I'll give it a try. Report back if it works.
post #793 of 1008
I'm looking to buy the BRDVD3 to stream Netflix. Can the firmware be updated over the internet with the ethernet port? Have most of the problems been solved with this player? Thanks.
post #794 of 1008
^^^

Yes, updates can be done over ethernet (or disc or USB). Most issues have been resolved, I think. The latest unresolved bug is with netflix skip fwd/back, but there is a workaround by using the arrow keys. IR is much improved although still a little weak. There is also an issue with Ponyo, but it also has a workaround by skipping straight to a chapter to begin playback.

You can get a better idea of the current issues from the insignia forum. But all players have issues and the causes are many (bugs, bad discs, network/speed problems, operator error, etc.), so you have to take some reports with a grain of salt, unless it appears to really be a widespread problem.

I'm very pleased with my Insignias, considering I paid around $30 for most of them. The real hidden gem is the file playback capabilities that similar players can't even touch. And the netfilx interface is better than most since you can browse many, many categories on the player in addition to your queue.
post #795 of 1008
Thanks. I'm hoping it drops to $99 again very soon. It's $129 now.
post #796 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Thanks. I'm hoping it drops to $99 again very soon. It's $129 now.

I got my 2nd and 3rd ones off eBay for average price in the $60s. "Refurbished" yes but work perfectly and comes with full warranty. I'm convinced most people return them because of the quirky remote. Or they didn't download and install the firmware updates prior to trying to use them. Nothing else wrong with them -- and half price blu ray DVD players for me!
post #797 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post

I got my 2nd and 3rd ones off eBay for average price in the $60s. "Refurbished" yes but work perfectly and comes with full warranty. I'm convinced most people return them because of the quirky remote. Or they didn't download and install the firmware updates prior to trying to use them. Nothing else wrong with them -- and half price blu ray DVD players for me!

Are these from a private seller or a company?

How do you know they're actually refurbished?
post #798 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Are these from a private seller or a company?

How do you know they're actually refurbished?

Many of the ebay units are offered by a company called Dealtree-which has several different 'store' labels, such as Best Buy Outlet, Cowboom, HD Gamerstore, and 2ndturn. Used units are listed in the descriptions as Grade B, and refurbs are listed as Grade A.
Another, less 'crowded' place to get a used Insignia BRDVD3 is Overstock.com's Auction section, all from Dealtree's Best Buy Outlet store.
http://auctions.overstock.com/cgi-bi...SCTG=on&SORT=3

If you choose to go for a refurb or used player, be sure to read each entry carefully, to note the accessories that may or may not be included. And if you see one where the operating instructions are not included, don't sweat it, there's nothing particularly important in it. All you need is the player, remote and possibly, the av cable if you're not gonna use HDMI.
post #799 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Many of the ebay units are offered by a company called Dealtree-which has several different 'store' labels, such as Best Buy Outlet, Cowboom, HD Gamerstore, and 2ndturn. Used units are listed in the descriptions as Grade B, and refurbs are listed as Grade A.
Another, less 'crowded' place to get a used Insignia BRDVD3 is Overstock.com's Auction section, all from Dealtree's Best Buy Outlet store.
http://auctions.overstock.com/cgi-bi...SCTG=on&SORT=3

If you choose to go for a refurb or used player, be sure to read each entry carefully, to note the accessories that may or may not be included. And if you see one where the operating instructions are not included, don't sweat it, there's nothing particularly important in it. All you need is the player, remote and possibly, the av cable if you're not gonna use HDMI.

Some refurbs are listed as Grade B, I think due to heavier cosmetic scratches.

Here's two examples of Grade A and Grade B from "Best Buy Outlet". Click links to see the descriptions.


A
Quote:


ITEM CONDITION (this specific item):

Functional Condition: Refurbished

Cosmetic Condition: Almost new, minor signs of use

Testing Notes: This item is working. This item is not in the original box.

This item is refurbished. Refurbished items have been inspected, cleaned, tested, and restored to full working condition at an authorized service center. Refurbished items may contain new parts, or may contain used, tested and re-certified parts.

NOTE: As a Grade A refurbished product, this item is in excellent overall cosmetic condition (8-10 on a scale of 10). While the unit may arrive with some possible light but limited surface scratching on the front, back and/or sides, it has been cleaned and refreshed.

B
Quote:


ITEM CONDITION (this specific item):

Functional Condition: Refurbished

Cosmetic Condition: Overall good condition

Testing Notes: This item is working. This item is not in the original box.

This item is refurbished. Refurbished items have been inspected, cleaned, tested, and restored to full working condition at an authorized service center. Refurbished items may contain new parts, or may contain used, tested and re-certified parts.

NOTE: As a Grade B refurbished product, this item is in good overall cosmetic condition (6-8 on a scale of 10). While the unit appears with mild to heavy scratching on the back and/or sides, the front or top may show small or mild scratches, it has been cleaned and refreshed.


The two I bought off eBay from this outfit looked brand new. I could see no scratches. Both worked perfectly. I put one in my office and gave one to my brother. The actual brand new one I got from Best Buy for Christmas is in my living room.
post #800 of 1008
I just got this player off ebay for $54 shipped (refurb). So far I am very happy, PQ looks great on my PJ.
post #801 of 1008
Are there any firmwares or codes to make this region free (for bluray)?
post #802 of 1008
Picked up a refurb off ebay. It works well. My only complaint is that when I play avi files from my usb drive the sound doesn't lip sync correctly. It plays Blue ray discs fine and connected to the internet no problem. Is there anything to fix the lip sync issue? I hooked it up to the internet and installed the latest firmware already, didn't solve the issue.
post #803 of 1008
Have you considered that the player may not be the problem? Did you localize the issue somehow?
post #804 of 1008
I got one of these from Overstock. What is the proper audio setting for an optical connection to a legacy dolby digital/DTS receiver? Do you need to switch between PCM and bitstream when switching between Netflix and DVD's/blu-rays?

Thanks!

Scott
post #805 of 1008
^^^

Bitstream mixed, and you don't need to switch.
post #806 of 1008
Thanks.

Bitstream mixed plays as DTS and leaves me with 2 channel stereo that cannot be matrixed with dolby pro logic 2 while playing netflix. All other modes play PCM and dolby pro logic 2 can be applied.

I haven't tried a DVD or blu-ray yet. I will try all modes and report back.

Scott


Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

^^^

Bitstream mixed, and you don't need to switch.
post #807 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R. Scherr View Post

Thanks.

Bitstream mixed plays as DTS and leaves me with 2 channel stereo that cannot be matrixed with dolby pro logic 2 while playing netflix. All other modes play PCM and dolby pro logic 2 can be applied.

I haven't tried a DVD or blu-ray yet. I will try all modes and report back.

Scott

Netflix is 2 ch stereo at best no matter what. All discs will be Dolby or DTS though.
post #808 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Netflix is 2 ch stereo at best no matter what. All discs will be Dolby or DTS though.

Right, but with PCM, dolby pro logic 2 can be applied to play through all speakers.

I tested bitstream HD and it works fine for all sources. Dolby Tru HD plays in dolby digital. DTS HDMA plays DTS. Netflix plays in PCM and can be matrixed in dolby pro logic 2.

This is the setting that works best for me.

Scott
post #809 of 1008
I see now. I didn't pick up on the dolby 2 part before. I mainly leave mine on mixed so I can get hear the other audio tracks like commentary, etc. But HD is best in your case. Glad it worked out.
post #810 of 1008
I have bought one of the wireless units from Ebay also from Cowboom...got it 2 days ago and it works great.

I also had another unit that I bought from Best Buy a few months back

Has anyone noticed that Pandora is part of the Insignia players now?



Warren
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Insignia NS-BRDVD3 - Netflix & BD-Live - Want Your Opinions