or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › Another meter, another mystery
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Another meter, another mystery - Page 2

post #31 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post

If this is true, I am wondering why you haven't posted any reference settings for the KRP-600M. Just curious. Thanks.

Since when do I post my client's settings? Also, I have already stated the I will not be posting any additional 9G Kuro settings on AVS.
post #32 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn View Post

if that is the case, why then is it doing that? what do you think can be the problem because your Pure reference settings (tweaked a bit with sharpness at -5 instead of -15) looked absolutely amazing. and when i measured the pre cal Pure the green was as low as you see in the graph. i will call SpectraCal tomorrow and see what can happen.

Here is an easy way to test your Spyder3. Hit the reset button for Pure mode and take measurements of the default Pure mode settings. Please post your graphs after you have those readings.
post #33 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Since when do I post my client's settings? Also, I have already stated the I will not be posting any additional 9G Kuro settings on AVS.

I never claimed you did or didn't post your clients' settings. I simply asked why you never posted reference setting for the KRP-600M. You have posted reference settings on AVS and at least one other forum for several Kuro models, including the KRP-500M. I am just curious as to why the KRP-600M was not included. That is all. Thanks.
post #34 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Here is an easy way to test your Spyder3. Hit the reset button for Pure mode and take measurements of the default Pure mode settings. Please post your graphs after you have those readings.

Sent ya a PM D-Nice. Did ya get it?
post #35 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Here is an easy way to test your Spyder3. Hit the reset button for Pure mode and take measurements of the default Pure mode settings. Please post your graphs after you have those readings.

will do tonight definitely.
post #36 of 69
Sorry, I didn't mean for my post to be taken in a negative way. Simply put, you will never, ever see any addtional 9G Kuro settings from me posted on AVS. The reasoning behind it has already been discussed a few times and I do not wish to rehash the discussion. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post

I never claimed you did or didn't post your clients' settings. I simply asked why you never posted reference setting for the KRP-600M. You have posted reference settings on AVS and at least one other forum for several Kuro models, including the KRP-500M. I am just curious as to why the KRP-600M was not included. That is all. Thanks.
post #37 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorterhouse View Post

Sent ya a PM D-Nice. Did ya get it?

Nope
post #38 of 69
Thread Starter 
Does anyone know if Color HCFR allows you to enter custom offsets for meters? I figure I can use the i1 Pro as reference numbers and teak the LT to match. Even though the LT isnt accurate, at least its consistently inaccurate.
post #39 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Nope

OK, I just sent it again.
post #40 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

Does anyone know if Color HCFR allows you to enter custom offsets for meters? I figure I can use the i1 Pro as reference numbers and teak the LT to match. Even though the LT isnt accurate, at least its consistently inaccurate.

I believe there is a method for doing just this, unfortunately there is nothing consistent about the LT apart from the fact that I can't rely on mine to help perform a calibration.
post #41 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn View Post

will do tonight definitely.

I thought you already posted your Pure Color Temp Low data in the KRP thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post17290148 and it had the same issue.
post #42 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

Does anyone know if Color HCFR allows you to enter custom offsets for meters? I figure I can use the i1 Pro as reference numbers and teak the LT to match. Even though the LT isnt accurate, at least its consistently inaccurate.

It will calculate it for you. Measure 75% RGBW (or if it's easier, Primaries/Secondaries/White) in 2 separate measurement windows - 1 for the LT and 1 for the i1Pro. Check the reference box in the i1Pro window. Activate the LT window and select Advanced->XYZ Coordinates Adjustment Matrix->Compute Conversion Matrix from Reference. You can either export the matrix for other measures or re-use the saved LT measurement window.
post #43 of 69
wrinklefree,

Quote:


I let the display2 warm up for about half an hour before using it.

I have a front projector. Do I need to let the i1 TL warm up in my case? If so, how exactly? Does leaving the probe on the tripod for an hour in front of the screen is the correct procedure?

Thanks.

Pitou!
post #44 of 69
+1 to Pitou's question. Also, am I wasting my time trying to adjust gamma using an LT? My recent greyscale check resulted in a gamma of 2.4 at the low IRE end quickly dropping to 2.0 above. I can make adjustments in my Lumagen HDQ as my BluRay player seems to exagerate the High gamma at low IREs compared to my DVD player, so I wanted to try to match then up at the HDQ and then I can switch between 2.2/2.3/2.4 gamma curves in my HD350 as the mood (or movie) takes me.
post #45 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbimmer View Post

I thought you already posted your Pure Color Temp Low data in the KRP thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post17290148 and it had the same issue.

no, that was with D-Nice's "recommended" settings. he then said to me, to reset the settings to the default settings and then measure again and then he would be able to tell if the meter is faulty or not.
post #46 of 69
ok, just spoke to the guys at spectracal (they are very professional and very helpful) and they ensured me my problem is the fact that my meter didnt have the correct calibration tables downloaded.so i will download the correct ones and then report back to you guys and let you guys know whats up.
post #47 of 69
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbimmer View Post

It will calculate it for you. Measure 75% RGBW (or if it's easier, Primaries/Secondaries/White) in 2 separate measurement windows - 1 for the LT and 1 for the i1Pro. Check the reference box in the i1Pro window. Activate the LT window and select Advanced->XYZ Coordinates Adjustment Matrix->Compute Conversion Matrix from Reference. You can either export the matrix for other measures or re-use the saved LT measurement window.

Thanks jdbimmer. After using the i1 pro as a reference the LT readings are MUCH more inline with delta E's less than 1.1 again. Once warmed up the LT's results are pretty repeatable. Kudos to HCFR for putting out a great free product.

Corrected results: (compare with results from 1st page)





post #48 of 69
wrinklefree,

Can you do me a huge favor and tell me what your conversion matrix looks like? Go to Advanced->XYZ Coordinates Adjustment Matrix->Manually Edit XYZ conversion matrix

There should be nine numbers in the matrix and then some comments in the space below like Red : 13.306 instead of 16.095 ( -17.3% )

My Eye one LT seems to push me towards more red than I think is accurate. Your graphs indicate this same thing. I'd like to punch in your conversion matrix to see if it helps my calibration. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Oh, and can you tell me how you went about renting an i1pro? I might consider this as well to calibrate my LT meter.

Dan
post #49 of 69
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

wrinklefree,

Can you do me a huge favor and tell me what your conversion matrix looks like? Go to Advanced->XYZ Coordinates Adjustment Matrix->Manually Edit XYZ conversion matrix

There should be nine numbers in the matrix and then some comments in the space below like Red : 13.306 instead of 16.095 ( -17.3% )

My Eye one LT seems to push me towards more red than I think is accurate. Your graphs indicate this same thing. I'd like to punch in your conversion matrix to see if it helps my calibration. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Oh, and can you tell me how you went about renting an i1pro? I might consider this as well to calibrate my LT meter.

Dan

No problem, here you go:



PM sent about the i1 pro
post #50 of 69
Wow, that was fast! Thank you wrinklefree.

Dan
post #51 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn View Post

no, that was with D-Nice's "recommended" settings. he then said to me, to reset the settings to the default settings and then measure again and then he would be able to tell if the meter is faulty or not.

Okay, well that was what I meant for you to do back in that thread. Glad you worked it out with Spectracal.
post #52 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

wrinklefree,

Can you do me a huge favor and tell me what your conversion matrix looks like
Dan

Unless you both have the same make/model display and the variances in both the D2 and display are minimal (unlikely) I wouldn't expect much improvement by copying the matrix.
post #53 of 69
post #54 of 69
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn View Post

BAD NEWS

This is AFTER the new offsets from Spectracal?
post #55 of 69
^^yup....seems like the meter is faulty.
post #56 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbimmer View Post

Unless you both have the same make/model display and the variances in both the D2 and display are minimal (unlikely) I wouldn't expect much improvement by copying the matrix.

It can't hurt to calibrate my plasma with the new matrix and see how it looks compared to my old calibration with my current D2. I've noticed that my meter wants me to add more red to my grey screen patterns than looks correct. His comparison to the i1pro show this with his meter as well. It may not turn out to help, but actually hurt my calibration. It's worth a shot though.

Dan
post #57 of 69
Thread Starter 
I said screw it and ordered an i1 pro. Its coming on Friday

I've been pretty happy with using HCFR and wondering if using Calman is worth $200. Looking over the specs the biggest selling point seems to be its user friendliness and customization which is something I don't really care for. What I do care about is accuracy. Will Calman give me more accurate results than HCFR?
post #58 of 69
Thread Starter 
Received my new i1pro yesterday and confirmed the LT is way off. Its pretty much useless without the Pro as a reference.

Anyway I dove into the ISF controls in my Onkyo 876. My Kuro 5020FD doesn't have gamma controls but the Onkyo does, along with a super fine brightness control (+/- 50) which helped me boost the gamma to 2.2 and dial in the grayscale. Unfortunately only < 1080p sources get the Reon love so its currently limited to 480i DVD, PS3 (720p games) and Comcast cable box (1080i) sources at the moment but I'm super happy with the results below. I just finished watching the MLB playoffs and the PQ was exceptional.

Settiings
Kuro offsets:
RH: -24
GH: -1
BH: +65
RL: -2
GL: 0
BL: 0

Movie mode settings:
Contrast: 37 (36 ft/L)
Brightness: 0
Color: -2
Tint: 1R
Sharpness: -15
PC: Advanced

876 Settings:
Brightness +4
Gamma +1
BH: +1
BL: +1










 

Pro-Comcast.zip 21.560546875k . file
post #59 of 69
seems like i gotta buy a i1pro.....SMH. thanks for the confirmation.
post #60 of 69
I also posted this in the Epson 6500 calibration guide.

I just got a PRO1 meter and wanted to see how my LT compared to it. Here's what I did:
1) Selected High lamp, Natural setting on my 6500UB
2) Calibrated using the LT and Dan's 75% sat method
3) Checked the calibration with the PRO1 (files attached "Nat High 230 hrs PRO1 reading of LT cal.zip").
4) Recalibrated using PRO1 (Files attached "Nat High 230 hrs. PRO1 cal.zip").
5) Offset LT against PRO1 (Files attached "PRO1 to LT offset.zip")
6) Checked PRO1 cal with the LT offset (Files attached "Nat High 230 hrs LT offset of PRO1 cal.zip").

All went well and the LT offset of the PRO1 cal seems to match quite well.

The problem is that I did a calibration of dynamic low lamp with the PRO1 and then checked it with the LT offset, and they were not close at all.

I may not understand how an offset works. It looks like I need to create a new offset matrix for the different lamp and preset modes of the projector. Does this make sense? I was under the impression that an offset would be valid regardless of the number of lumens or preset, but maybe because the 6500 moves a lense out of the light path for dynamic that this messes up the offset.

Thoughts/comments on the calibrations and the offset problem would be greatly appreciated.

I plan on doing a dynamic calibration with the PRO1 and then creating a new offset matrix for the LT and checking that against the PRO1 to see if it works.

One final question: When I set up the various meters, I put up a 100% window to get the max Y reading. I then took the RGBW 75% stim windows. Since the meters mounted differently on my tripod I thought it was best to center them before the readings. Is this correct?

 

Nat High 230 hrs PRO1 readings of LT cal.zip 414.755859375k . file

 

Nat High 230 hrs PRO1 cal.zip 435.1220703125k . file

 

PRO1 to LT offset.zip 9.8916015625k . file

 

Nat High 230 hrs LT offset measure of PRO1 cal.zip 383.298828125k . file
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Display Calibration
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › Another meter, another mystery