or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › JTR Captivator
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JTR Captivator - Page 7

post #181 of 4725
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

I think you should sell everything and move to Tibet ...

But seriously, why not just wait until you have the Captivator, then decide?

Because I finally have a possibly buyer after listing it twice for several weeks
post #182 of 4725
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

I think you should sell everything and move to Tibet ...

But seriously, why not just wait until you have the Captivator, then decide?

I agree with the first comment

Goonie is completely nuts. I don't think he knows what he wants but, what would we do without him on the subwoofer forums?

I hope you find what your looking for in LFE Goonstopher! For some, I guess it's never ending.
post #183 of 4725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post

I agree with the first comment

Goonie is completely nuts. I don't think he knows what he wants but, what would we do without him on the subwoofer forums?

I hope you find what your looking for in LFE Goonstopher! For some, I guess it's never ending.

Again its the buyer issue. You would think the dynasty spread h1n1 its been so hard to sell
post #184 of 4725
what kind of design is the captivator? i've heard 12" woofer, passive radiator, and ported all mentioned. can somebody please clarify?
post #185 of 4725
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

what kind of design is the captivator? i've heard 12" woofer, passive radiator, and ported all mentioned. can somebody please clarify?

6th order bandpass... no idea what it means
post #186 of 4725
so one chamber is tuned via a pr and the other chamber tuned via a port?
post #187 of 4725
something like that
post #188 of 4725
thanks, goonstopher, i'd like to learn more about this approach.
post #189 of 4725
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

as that description was my way of poking fun at our mutual overkill approach to home audio.

Overkill? Not familiar with the term. Guess I'll have to Google it.
post #190 of 4725
has anyone posted a frequency response of the captivator ground plane?
post #191 of 4725
Looks like the club may be expanding soon. Excited to hear real feedback. Just hope I can afford my second one
post #192 of 4725
Haha that's crazy goonstopher, with 2 captivators and 3 Q8's you should really crank it up past '11 and then go enjoy listening to the music from down the street
post #193 of 4725
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Overkill? Not familiar with the term. Guess I'll have to Google it.

It is a misnomer; I meant to say abundant headroom.

I did some subjective testing yesterday after re-running Audyssey due to some new room treatments and the addition of Auralex Great Gramma's for the Captivators. I used the Chapter 6 plane crash scene from Knowing. First, I ran the Captivators and Danley's and then just the Captivators. From the first row I could not tell much difference with the Danley's off. Since the second row is on top of the Danley's there was a loss of tactile shaking in the second row but the audible impact bass was very close even from that seating position.

It seems to me that the Captivator's provide 90+% of the bass I hear/feel in the room. I did not look at the response in the room while doing this test but I intend to do that this weekend. Bottom line is the Danley’s are not going anywhere and I still get a kick (pun intended) out of them when sitting in the second row. But as far a bang for the buck, the Captivators are the clear winner.

The Caps on the Great Gramma's


The Danley TH-SPUDS under the riser
post #194 of 4725
Spoke with Jeff and was doing some basic math and need help deciding if it is worth getting a second sub with this cavaet; I won't be able to double the power right away.

Full explanation - I can run a single ep2500 bridged for over 1000w into a single sub or split it for 650w into each of two. The caps need 500+ to reach 113dB (before room gain) so with double the power a single can get 116dB or with double the woofers but half the power (650w) two can also get 116dB.

My logic makes it seem like a single with twice the power will be just as good as two with less power while also saving money (which is TIGHT)

I do have the money needed for a second sub but not a second amp at the same time. I would like to save the money put also want reference level sound (115dB+ for movies ect).

Jeff is such a non-salesman that he honestly told me that either way I am fine but want to see what you here think
post #195 of 4725
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

Spoke with Jeff and was doing some basic math and need help deciding if it is worth getting a second sub with this cavaet; I won't be able to double the power right away.

Full explanation - I can run a single ep2500 bridged for over 1000w into a single sub or split it for 650w into each of two. The caps need 500+ to reach 113dB (before room gain) so with double the power a single can get 116dB or with double the woofers but half the power (650w) two can also get 116dB.

My logic makes it seem like a single with twice the power will be just as good as two with less power while also saving money (which is TIGHT)

I do have the money needed for a second sub but not a second amp at the same time. I would like to save the money put also want reference level sound (115dB+ for movies ect).

Jeff is such a non-salesman that he honestly told me that either way I am fine but want to see what you here think

Either way you are fine...

Look, if you get the single Captivator and it doesn't float your boat, you can get another. Have patience grasshopper err I mean goonstopher.
post #196 of 4725
I ordered the second...whatever
post #197 of 4725
2 are better than one for sure, using less amp power with double the drivers for the same spl will yield in lower distortion and longer life but start with one to make sure you like it.
post #198 of 4725
I ordered the second... dumb? possibly. Overkill? Probably
post #199 of 4725
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

I ordered the second... dumb? possibly. Overkill? Probably

Blasphemy.

There is no such thing as overkill in bass

Do enjoy the two Caps and post a review.
post #200 of 4725
My DIY sub does well for music, but it just can not keep up with the triple 8's for movies. I had the volume cranked while watching Kung Fu Panda and when the "Skadoosh" explosion hit, there was clearly distortion from my struggling 12" sealed sub.

I am going to save up for a pair of Captivators, in birch plywood and truck bed liner to match my triple 8's, if that is still available, and hopefully power each of them with a channel of an EP2500. (I think that should be enough power in my 1700 cubic foot room to hit reference level with some headroom)
post #201 of 4725
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

The Caps on the Great Gramma's

What do you think about the Gramma's? I see you have a carpeted floor, but is it a concrete foundation or a basement underneath? I have carpet on concrete and was wondering if there's anything to be gained by a Gramma.
post #202 of 4725
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

What do you think about the Gramma's? I see you have a carpeted floor, but is it a concrete foundation or a basement underneath? I have carpet on concrete and was wondering if there's anything to be gained by a Gramma.

My room is a second story with a suspended wood floor. The Captivators are sitting directly above a soffit that contains HVAC ducting and vents so the so the decoupling effect of the Grammas works very well for me. I would think they would be less helpful on a slab floor.
post #203 of 4725
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

My room is a second story with a suspended wood floor. The Captivators are sitting directly above a soffit that contains HVAC ducting and vents so the so the decoupling effect of the Grammas works very well for me. I would think they would be less helpful on a slab floor.

Thanks.
post #204 of 4725
How do you hook this sub up to an amp in bridged mode?

What are dual speakeon?

For bridging with speaker wire you are suppose to wire the hot from one into the hot and the hot from the other into the negative, ri and leave both the negatives alone..ght?

How does this work with dual speakeon?

My amp looks like a single speakeon is turned to a different setting and carries the bridged signal... what do you do with the other?
post #205 of 4725
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

How do you hook this sub up to an amp in bridged mode?

What are dual speakeon?

For bridging with speaker wire you are suppose to wire the hot from one into the hot and the hot from the other into the negative, ri and leave both the negatives alone..ght?

How does this work with dual speakeon?

My amp looks like a single speakeon is turned to a different setting and carries the bridged signal... what do you do with the other?

Not exactly sure what you are asking Are you planning on using one or two amps with your Captivators? If one amp is used, then each channel will output a parallel signal to each Captivator (no bridging). The Captivators only have one Speakon connector so they can't be daisy chained.

If you have two amps then you could bridge the channels (assuming the amp allows for bridged operation) to provide max power to each Captivator again, via its own Speakon cable.
post #206 of 4725
Would there be any difference in running a pair of captivators with a Crest CC 4000 or the Crest pro 8200?

The used price for the 8200 is twice as much, would the difference between the two amps be just that much?
post #207 of 4725
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhisafa View Post

Would there be any difference in running a pair of captivators with a Crest CC 4000 or the Crest pro 8200?

The used price for the 8200 is twice as much, would the difference between the two amps be just that much?

Unless I'm missing something it sure doesn't seem like you'd notice a difference. The 8200 pro is rated at 1450 at 4ohms and the cc4000 for 1350 at 4ohms. That would work out to less than a quarter db of output. About the only differences I can really see are weight and price.
post #208 of 4725
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Not exactly sure what you are asking Are you planning on using one or two amps with your Captivators? If one amp is used, then each channel will output a parallel signal to each Captivator (no bridging). The Captivators only have one Speakon connector so they can't be daisy chained.

If you have two amps then you could bridge the channels (assuming the amp allows for bridged operation) to provide max power to each Captivator again, via its own Speakon cable.

I plan on running two ep4000's, one to each of the subs.

I just am confused on how the heck to run a speakon. I am trying to learn about them but it seems like 4 post is more common and the captivator has 2 post right?

I was considering buying the cables but they are very expensive. They make a dual banana to speakon cable as well so maybe I can make it like that too?

I really didn't want to have to rely on my handiwork on my new subs, ouch. I am confused
post #209 of 4725
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhisafa View Post

Would there be any difference in running a pair of captivators with a Crest CC 4000 or the Crest pro 8200?

The used price for the 8200 is twice as much, would the difference between the two amps be just that much?

I am running dual Captivators with the CC-4000 and have no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

I plan on running two ep4000's, one to each of the subs.

I just am confused on how the heck to run a speakon. I am trying to learn about them but it seems like 4 post is more common and the captivator has 2 post right?

I was considering buying the cables but they are very expensive. They make a dual banana to speakon cable as well so maybe I can make it like that too?

I really didn't want to have to rely on my handiwork on my new subs, ouch. I am confused

You could easily run both Captivators off of one EP-4000. If you run two and bridge the channels, thats 4000 watts into 4 Ohms each. That ottadoer.

Now get a couple of speakon cables off of ebay and your done.
post #210 of 4725
RMK looks great. Are those brown panels sound deadening? Did you build them yourself or buy them?

Cheers,
M
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › JTR Captivator