As many of you I ran into several networking related issues, but believe I have it down to just the WD box dropping connection in a couple minutes issues at this time. Let me share what I discovered to date in the hope this may help some of you...
I started with many networking problems - primarily the issue was with accessing shares on network drives. Accessing media servers seemed to be less problematic. These issues caused me to reset the router many times, re-do the networking configurations of many of my devices on the network, etc.. The following is what got me to a reliable - repeatable state, which should help get the final (WD BOX I believe) issue resolved.
a) I replaced the router. I had a Linksys BEFR41. Worked great for a while, but I discovered that it simply doesn't play well with Vista (64) or later. The box hangs upon certain requests and looses capability to vend DHCP addresses. Not all devices register their names properly on this box either - not sure that has an impact (E.g. if other devices read the name from this router versus the master browser server on the network). My solution: replaced this unit with my (Still somewhat old) DLink Wireless router. I can see the devices on the DHCP list consistently and it captures their network names much better than the Linksys. Note - When you reset any of these routers, make sure you get all devices to re-register with the box. Easiest might be by disconnecting the wired ethernet cable and reconnecting it, or on wireless by disconnecting and reconnecting to the wireless network. Preferable disconnect before you reset the router. Also consider sequence of connecting the master browser:
b) Master Browser computer... Another area that seems somewhat troublesome on networks. Basically this is the way microsoft shares network device names between computers so that other computers discover the devices. Issues I have run into in the past is that any computer can assume to be the master browser and other become backups, who, in turn can become the master when the previous master goes off line. Because I have run into issues with this in the past, I decided to dedicate one of the computers on the network to be the master, by turning this service OFF on the other machines. This can be done by permanently turning of the computer service called "Computer Browser" (Start - right click on Computer and select Manage. Go to Services and change the setting for the Computer Browser to stop the service and disable it - Do this on all machines except for one that is connected and on the network all the time. Remember (to change) this setting in case you visit other networks as this may cause discovery issues there..
c) Configuration of 'dumb' network devices. Some of the items I have on my network seem to have issues with their connections and name registrations on the network. E.g. older NAS devices, Directv HD DVR, Newer Samsung TV, Pioneer Elite stereo. Previously I had set some of these devices to FIXED IP's vs. DHCP. While they were outside the DHCP IP range, which should not cause any conflicts on the network, I did run into some IP conflict messages on PC's that made me suspect something else is going on here. Hence - I changed the configuration and put everything on DHCP. Some of these items still don't register a name with the router, but the (computer's) master browser seems to pick up on them ok allowing other computers to discover them (more quickly).
Between doing the above items, I now have networking capability that seems much more reliable. Devices discover other devices much faster and the WD Live TV device is more reliable connecting to the network. Basically I am down to one problem with networking drops on the device: It drops the network after 3-5 minutes of playing mpeg files (I have played 2 VOB files that ran more than an hour without network drops). All network items are dropped except my NAS device. So this hopefully that will help tell WD something about where their firmware or Network adaptor has an issue... With limited testing to date, it appears this problem may be limited to playing certain video files from networked shares. To recover, you simply go into the box's network configuration and re-do the Automatic Configuration for the network. All network shares show up again (But playing mpeg files will cause the lost network connection consistently after a couple of minutes.
I am hoping that WD will fix this issue in a future firmware release as the box seems to have a promising future (I really would like to see .IFO support for DVD menus - can't scroll through the menus I created and go directly to the sections of the (Ulead) homevideos I created..