Well, now that I've got this thread up to the present, I thought I would start listing some of the items I still have left in my head that I'd like to do. This is going to be a total mind dump and will in no way be true to the order that I want to accomplish these tasks in, just the order that they pop into my head.
- Finish the left cubby area next to the TV. I would like to get a Middle Atlantic Slim 5 or a DIY rack system of some kind in there. In the pictures you may have noticed a cable or two hanging down from the ceiling in that area. That is because I didn't put any ceiling tiles there because I planned on cutting that cubby area off similarly to what I did on the right side with the bookshelf. What I need to figure out however is exactly what to do there. Do I do another rotating bookshelf type thing in order to get behind the equipment, or do I do a permanent rack and leave a space to get behind and cover that space with a removable panel of some kind? Not quite sure. I like the idea of having symmetry with the other side, but I also really like what YW84U did in this
. Anyone have any thoughts?
- Finish the stairs. I'm thinking of just doing oak treads and risers on the stairs. But what do I do with the stringers? Cover them with some 1/4" oak ply, rip everything out and start new? Just not sure yet. Looking for suggestions.
- Trim the window. I only have one window in the finished area. It is an egress window and I would like to keep it's functionality. But how do I finish it? It has a nasty looking metal casing (I guess that's what you would call it), so I was thinking I might just make a wood carcass and attach the trim to the front of the carcass and it would just sit via friction inside the window well. That way, if I or any of my family ever needed to use the window for a quick escape, then you just pull out the whole wood carcass and then you can pull out the window.
- Projector and screen. I really want a projector and screen down there to get a bigger picture. My wife actually just commented last night that I need a bigger screen down there. She suggested that I take the 52" from the family room and swap it out. Sometimes she does get it
. But rather than just a bigger LCD, I want a front projector. What I still need to figure out however, is:
1) Do I want a drop down screen that would come down in front of the LCD? This would allow me to use the LCD for everyday viewing and only use the projector for movie night or sporting events. This would help prolong the life of the bulbs in the projector from not having to cycle it on and off if I just want to watch a show or two at night after work.
2) Do I want to pull down the LCD and put up a fixed frame screen? This would allow me to go a little bigger on the screen as I could take up the entire wall and not be limited on the width by the case of a drop down screen. This would also be cheaper as I would likely attempt a DIY screen. This would also lessen the possibility of the waviness that is sometimes found on non-tensioned drop down screens. Another advantage is that then I could use the LCD somewhere else in the house. Maybe in the bedroom or even in the bar area. The negative with this option is the benefit of the first, I would have to cycle it on and off frequently thereby reducing the bulb life and having to replace bulbs often. Now that I think about it think about, if I move the LCD to the bar area, I could just do my standard viewing from there. hmmm
- Install the pool table light and finally finish the ceiling tiles. This one is easy, I just need to save up them money to purchase the light. I already have the final tile painted and ready to install, so once I get the light, this is a gimme.
- Finish the pool table. I have most of the body sanded and ready to go, but I still need to strip the rails. Then I have to stain (or however I'm going to finish everything), install new rail sights, install new bumpers, get the three slate pieces from my grandparent's house, level it, put on new felt. None of which I've ever done before. Should be a fun challenge.
- Build a drink ledge in the pool table area similar to what CuznEddy did here
. Unfortunately I didn't have the forethought to put in a metal beam to span the are, but I think I could still come up with something that would work.
- Build a riser. I'd like to build a riser for the second row. I'm thinking I'd like to have a bar attached to the back with some stools. Not only would this provide extra seating for the theater area, but it could be used for seating for the pool table as well. I'd like to light it with some ropelight or some LEDs or something. And I also tossed around the idea of making it a big basstrap.
- Build a wet bar. This is the biggest project left to be completed. I have tons of ideas for this, and it will be a major undertaking. I also want to include a kegerator. I have plans that I intend to base my design off of, but there will be a ton of trial and error I think.
If anyone has any ideas or links to good threads that would help me out with any of the above listed projects, I'm all ears.