or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Patriot Box Office 1080P High Definition Media Player PCMPBO25
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Patriot Box Office 1080P High Definition Media Player PCMPBO25 - Page 5

post #121 of 859
Patriot Box Offi

will this unit support arabic sub?srt files?
post #122 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Box Offi View Post

nomad, under setup, and system the BT/ SMB function should be able to switch on after the drive is formated and isntalled with BT services. It may appear a few seconds delay when you switch it to on as the unit would initiat the service. Try re-boot the unit and see if it makes a difference, but once the drive been initiated, there is no reason you can't switch that function on.

I finally was able to turn on the BT after running Extension Package Upgrade under System Update. There is no mentioning about this step on the manual.

In order to manage the BT function, I have to use the Transcode Server on the PC. It would be much desired that the BT management can be done from BO box side without a PC.
post #123 of 859
Got the box office up and running without a problem first few days without a hard drive in it. After I installed the hard drive in PBO, I get these very annoying flashes when I turn on the unit, it goes away after 8-10 seconds with the main screen. It is only like that with a drive in the unit. Are people having this issue? or is it a bad unit? By the way, im connected with HDMI running at 1080.
post #124 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Box Offi View Post

i am assuming it's external HDD playback? does it do the same thing if it stream via network or internal HDD?

I have tried using an external USB hard drive, and streaming it over the network, and had the problem both ways, and with two different .mkv files.

It's not all .mkv files though, some play perfectly fine, but for some reason on these two in particular, the preview in the file browser UI works just fine, but selecting it causes the system to lock up or freeze up displaying only a black screen, and becoming completely unresponsive to any remote control commands.

It doesn't make sense to me, if it's able to show a preview of the video in the file browser UI, it is obviously able to decode the video, and obviously the video file is good, so why would it not work when played normally?
post #125 of 859
Mine flashes to a black screen periodically when I'm playing a video. In all circumstances, it was reading either from hard drive or USB, NOT over the network (it's not even plugged in).

One time it was a 720p MKV file, the other time it was a low-quality AVI file (180MB for 42 minutes). First black screen was a couple seconds long, after about 20-25 minutes of playback. I rewound the video about 60 seconds and replayed the spot where it blacked out, and the video was fine during that section... so it's not the source video. For some reason everything just goes black for a few seconds, and then comes back.

Anyone have any ideas? It's not covered, so it's not overheating from what I can tell...
post #126 of 859
This miniUSB port is for connection to PC/Laptop for transfering files from PC to the PBO's HDD if installed. It will be useless if a special miniUSB cable is not available for connecting to an external USB HDD.
post #127 of 859
About the miniusb connection,with a hard drive inside, will it use the computer's power alone or the ac adaptor must be plugged in as well.
post #128 of 859
I guess it will need the PBO plug in as well, since miniUSB will not have 12V to power it up.
post #129 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by valley_nomad View Post

I finally was able to turn on the BT after running Extension Package Upgrade under System Update. There is no mentioning about this step on the manual.

In order to manage the BT function, I have to use the Transcode Server on the PC. It would be much desired that the BT management can be done from BO box side without a PC.

actually you don't have to use the transcode server, just type in the IP into your browser, i.e. 10.10.1.20 (assuming that's your box office). it should lead to the download control. This is very much the same concept as your typical NAS enclosure with BT function built in.
post #130 of 859
How's the GUI on this thing? I've read the thread but can't remember if there are any movie pictures so it's easy to see what the file is w/o having to read the file name

is there movie sheet generator that works with this player?
post #131 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsayzo View Post

Got the box office up and running without a problem first few days without a hard drive in it. After I installed the hard drive in PBO, I get these very annoying flashes when I turn on the unit, it goes away after 8-10 seconds with the main screen. It is only like that with a drive in the unit. Are people having this issue? or is it a bad unit? By the way, im connected with HDMI running at 1080.

try to set the HDMI output to an actual setting instead of leaving it on AUTO
post #132 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcravey View Post

I have tried using an external USB hard drive, and streaming it over the network, and had the problem both ways, and with two different .mkv files.

It's not all .mkv files though, some play perfectly fine, but for some reason on these two in particular, the preview in the file browser UI works just fine, but selecting it causes the system to lock up or freeze up displaying only a black screen, and becoming completely unresponsive to any remote control commands.

It doesn't make sense to me, if it's able to show a preview of the video in the file browser UI, it is obviously able to decode the video, and obviously the video file is good, so why would it not work when played normally?

see if digital noise reduction is set to AUTO, turn it off and try it again see if that helps.
post #133 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by steefnap View Post

Mine flashes to a black screen periodically when I'm playing a video. In all circumstances, it was reading either from hard drive or USB, NOT over the network (it's not even plugged in).

One time it was a 720p MKV file, the other time it was a low-quality AVI file (180MB for 42 minutes). First black screen was a couple seconds long, after about 20-25 minutes of playback. I rewound the video about 60 seconds and replayed the spot where it blacked out, and the video was fine during that section... so it's not the source video. For some reason everything just goes black for a few seconds, and then comes back.

Anyone have any ideas? It's not covered, so it's not overheating from what I can tell...

try to turn digital noice reduction off, and set to an actual HDMI setting instead of leave it on auto.
post #134 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by strpyw View Post

About the miniusb connection,with a hard drive inside, will it use the computer's power alone or the ac adaptor must be plugged in as well.

you will have to connect the power to the unit and hit the on switch. Once PBO boot (about 15 secs) your desktop will see it as an external drive. Or if you have it on the network, you can use the transcode software to "visit neighbor" or network neighborhood that will bring the unit up as a network storage.
post #135 of 859
The wifi adapter is not seeing my Wifi Router. I have a linksys n router set up to broadcast a mixed signal. Both my iphone and camputer on G can see the ssid and connect no problem, but the box office is not seeing it even when placed right next to the router.

Otherwise, love the device. Getting ready to throw a 500gb drive in there when they go on sale on black friday.

EDIT: A power toggle fixed the issue. Weird that it would see other access points but not mine before it was toggled.
post #136 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Box Offi View Post

try to turn digital noice reduction off, and set to an actual HDMI setting instead of leave it on auto.

Did That with no luck at flickering startup. Its not an HDMI problem because I tested with composite video cable and still the same problem. I have tried everything, I might just take out the drive to get rid of this problem. Please address this problem and should have this fixed by the next firmware. Thanks !!
post #137 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Box Offi View Post

actually you don't have to use the transcode server, just type in the IP into your browser, i.e. 10.10.1.20 (assuming that's your box office). it should lead to the download control. This is very much the same concept as your typical NAS enclosure with BT function built in.

Thanks for info. It is good to know BO box has a web server for BT management....

However, I still think the access to BT function management should be also made available on the box. This is different from the NAS scenario: A NAS doesn't have the monitor and user input device, so it is natural to perform the BT management through a PC on the network. But for the BT mechanism integrated in a media player which has its own display and user input devices, you really don't have to do the management via an external PC. In other words, the UI for all built-in functionality should be made available in the box.
post #138 of 859
To Patriot Box Office:

I have a couple of .flac audio files that play and some that do not. Is there a reason? They all play fine on the computer using VLC media player.

Will there be support for hooking up an external USB Blu-Ray or DVD drive and playing movies off there?

My unit also has a small hum noise when I turn it on. It is annoying and is wanting me to return it. I saw in your earlier message that we can disconnect the fan. If this is the case, then what is the fan for?? Is it for cooling the chip or for the internal hard drive?

Finally, do you know what new features the next firmware update will bring? Also when will the firmware update be?

I want to know because I only have a few days to decide on whether to keep this or return it.



Gammah
post #139 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackend View Post

Patriot Box Offi

will this unit support arabic sub?srt files?

yes, it does
post #140 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammah View Post

To Patriot Box Office:

I have a couple of .flac audio files that play and some that do not. Is there a reason? They all play fine on the computer using VLC media player.

Will there be support for hooking up an external USB Blu-Ray or DVD drive and playing movies off there?

My unit also has a small hum noise when I turn it on. It is annoying and is wanting me to return it. I saw in your earlier message that we can disconnect the fan. If this is the case, then what is the fan for?? Is it for cooling the chip or for the internal hard drive?

Finally, do you know what new features the next firmware update will bring? Also when will the firmware update be?

I want to know because I only have a few days to decide on whether to keep this or return it.



Gammah

Unit should play Flac fine, are you using SPDIF or HDMI for audio? Through TV or receiver?

The cooling fan is required for internal HDD, as they DO get hot. If you have no plan to put in a HDD, I'd just disconnec the fan all together.

Also, i would suggest check the fan wiring make sure it's not touch the sleeves, as well as sitting of the fan. Let us know if it works out for you.
post #141 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by valley_nomad View Post

Thanks for info. It is good to know BO box has a web server for BT management....

However, I still think the access to BT function management should be also made available on the box. This is different from the NAS scenario: A NAS doesn't have the monitor and user input device, so it is natural to perform the BT management through a PC on the network. But for the BT mechanism integrated in a media player which has its own display and user input devices, you really don't have to do the management via an external PC. In other words, the UI for all built-in functionality should be made available in the box.

yeah.. we thought of putting a download status in one of the option, so you can see the % of the download.

Also in the process of updating a new skin for the PBO, so hopefully by mid December a HD skin will be available to flash.
post #142 of 859
To Patriot Box Office.

I opend the box yesterday and Connected to TV . everything worked good. Tested the DVD Movie (.VOB) files worked great with EXTERNAL DRIVE Attached to USB ... did not work good overt the Network using Wireless G Adapter.

But today when I powered on the Unit, I see RED Light Blinking on LAN indicator of the Box. I tried Followign thing of no use

1. Power Off My Hard Drive and restarted the Box Office (From back Power Switch)
2. Disconnected the USB of hard drive and restarted the BOX OFFICE (From back Power Switch)
3. Unpluged the POWER Cable to box office and RePlugged it and Power it ON

Everytime I got the LAN Light Blinking. I do not know if the Box has gone bad or what . OFcourse I do not get anything on my TV to change the Settings.

Please advice.

Thanks in advance.
post #143 of 859
Hi, thanks for getting back so quick. I love it when companies do that!

I am using FLAC using HDMI and I am using HDMI RAW. It is being plugged into my ONKYO home theater system. Like I said, a couple of them play fine and a couple say unsupported format or some message that it cannot play it. I do not remember the exact message.

Also I have a couple of music files that are .ac3, but that does not even show up on the list.

I don't think the fan is hitting anything. I know the sound when the fan is hitting something and this is not it. It just sounds to me like the fan is spinning and making the humming noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Box Offi View Post

Unit should play Flac fine, are you using SPDIF or HDMI for audio? Through TV or receiver?

The cooling fan is required for internal HDD, as they DO get hot. If you have no plan to put in a HDD, I'd just disconnec the fan all together.

Also, i would suggest check the fan wiring make sure it's not touch the sleeves, as well as sitting of the fan. Let us know if it works out for you.
post #144 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by adghuman View Post

To Patriot Box Office.

I opend the box yesterday and Connected to TV . everything worked good. Tested the DVD Movie (.VOB) files worked great with EXTERNAL DRIVE Attached to USB ... did not work good overt the Network using Wireless G Adapter.

But today when I powered on the Unit, I see RED Light Blinking on LAN indicator of the Box. I tried Followign thing of no use

1. Power Off My Hard Drive and restarted the Box Office (From back Power Switch)
2. Disconnected the USB of hard drive and restarted the BOX OFFICE (From back Power Switch)
3. Unpluged the POWER Cable to box office and RePlugged it and Power it ON

Everytime I got the LAN Light Blinking. I do not know if the Box has gone bad or what . OFcourse I do not get anything on my TV to change the Settings.

Please advice.

Thanks in advance.

The LAN indicator is normal, it's just indicating that the unit is connected via network.
post #145 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammah View Post

Hi, thanks for getting back so quick. I love it when companies do that!

I am using FLAC using HDMI and I am using HDMI RAW. It is being plugged into my ONKYO home theater system. Like I said, a couple of them play fine and a couple say unsupported format or some message that it cannot play it. I do not remember the exact message.

Also I have a couple of music files that are .ac3, but that does not even show up on the list.

I don't think the fan is hitting anything. I know the sound when the fan is hitting something and this is not it. It just sounds to me like the fan is spinning and making the humming noise.

Thanks Gammah, we value all the feedback from AVS forums members. This is the very first media playback device Patriot announced, so ANY feedback is good feedback for us.

I will check the Flac for you with our engineering department.

We've already working on a couple fixes for the Fan noise level, and hopeuflly will mature enough to announce it with in the next couple weeks.

There will be a new firmware update as well by month end suppose to add some HDMI audio out functions as well added playback support. We will list them here when it's available.

Thanks again for choosing patriot product!
post #146 of 859
I hope your fix will bring back audio from my mp4 movie ,made with quicktime.
post #147 of 859
I confirm gammah's fan noise. Its very audible at some 12 ft away, particularly noisy at night time. It occurs about 10 minutes after switched on. I don't feel any temperature or vibration on the PBO unit. It is air noise and needs insulation.

I have not yet installed the 2.5" HDD inside yet as the screws come with the box will not fit the holes on the HDD.

The design of the fan looks like a close air circulation which sucks air below and above the MB, blows air towards the HDD for cooling. Air is then cooled by the anodized Aluminum casing. 2.5" HDD use power less than 3W and I believe the major Multimedia chip will consume more power. It may have better cooling if the fan is facing down.

I guess installing the 2.5" HDD will decrease cooling of the chip and will increase the overall temperature of the HDD as the HDD is mounted above the chip. I will not be installing the HDD, and if I do, I will remove the rubber feet at the bottom to the side, with the Full HD 1080 facing up to improve natural circulation.

Edit: After hours of usage, fan noise was too much. I pulled the fan connector, peeled off the rubber feet and sticked them on the side and stood it up. Solved the fan noise problem.
post #148 of 859
I am on my second unit and have been having the same problem connecting through wireless. The unit recognized my SSID. After entering in the security key (WPA), it says testing connection and then does nothing. I also tried power cycling the router and removing wireless security but nothing worked. Any suggestions?
post #149 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by baracca View Post

I am on my second unit and have been having the same problem connecting through wireless. The unit recognized my SSID. After entering in the security key (WPA), it says testing connection and then does nothing. I also tried power cycling the router and removing wireless security but nothing worked. Any suggestions?

can you give us the router type?
post #150 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Box Offi View Post

can you give us the router type?

I am using a Buffalo WHR-HP-54g router on dd-wrt firmware. The router has been rock solid and connects to all my other devices.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Patriot Box Office 1080P High Definition Media Player PCMPBO25