or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Patriot Box Office 1080P High Definition Media Player PCMPBO25
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Patriot Box Office 1080P High Definition Media Player PCMPBO25 - Page 18

post #511 of 859
erail, 257Tony,
I have tried a number of user accounts and I still get 'logon failed' from BoxOffice under the NET option. It is getting very frustrating! Below are the particulars of my PC. There has to be something blocking remote sign-ons, but I just can't find it. Any help is appreciated!

Windows Vista
File Sharing and Media Sharing turned on
Password protection turned off (I have tried it both ways)
Guest account on (also tried other new accounts)
Netgear Router
Microsoft Firewall
Microsoft Security Essentials (free virus and malware detecter)
Latest BoxOffice Beta Firmware
post #512 of 859
I am trying to figure out how to use the 'my shortcuts' feature.

I have my PBO networked to my computer and 3 popcorn hours. I would like to setup a very simple and quick shortcut to specific 'video' folders on these different drives. I can only seem to set a shortcut to the root of the popcorn hours drive and none of my pc's drives.

What am I missing?
post #513 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazura View Post

erail, 257Tony,
I have tried a number of user accounts and I still get 'logon failed' from BoxOffice under the NET option. It is getting very frustrating! Below are the particulars of my PC. There has to be something blocking remote sign-ons, but I just can't find it. Any help is appreciated!

Windows Vista
File Sharing and Media Sharing turned on
Password protection turned off (I have tried it both ways)
Guest account on (also tried other new accounts)
Netgear Router
Microsoft Firewall
Microsoft Security Essentials (free virus and malware detecter)
Latest BoxOffice Beta Firmware

Try creating a new workgroup using the admin account. Use that account login info on the PBO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty144 View Post

I am trying to figure out how to use the 'my shortcuts' feature.

I have my PBO networked to my computer and 3 popcorn hours. I would like to setup a very simple and quick shortcut to specific 'video' folders on these different drives. I can only seem to set a shortcut to the root of the popcorn hours drive and none of my pc's drives.

What am I missing?

I haven't found a way to do this, of course I haven't really tried very hard either. I'll mess around with mine tomorrow and see if I come up with anything.
post #514 of 859
I tried to create a new workgroup in Vista, but I still don't see it under the PBO MyNeighbors section. Something must be blocking it from showing up. I have recycled my router, PC and PBO, but no luck. Also, when I run the Transcode software, it does show my PC under MyNeighbors on the PBO, but it log me on. Until I can determine what is blocking this access on my LAN, I might look into getting a HD for this unit.
post #515 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazura View Post

I tried to create a new workgroup in Vista, but I still don't see it under the PBO MyNeighbors section. Something must be blocking it from showing up. I have recycled my router, PC and PBO, but no luck. Also, when I run the Transcode software, it does show my PC under MyNeighbors on the PBO, but it log me on. Until I can determine what is blocking this access on my LAN, I might look into getting a HD for this unit.

There is a thread on the Official PBO forum which details a fix for this here..
post #516 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony View Post

Try creating a new workgroup using the admin account. Use that account login info on the PBO.


I haven't found a way to do this, of course I haven't really tried very hard either. I'll mess around with mine tomorrow and see if I come up with anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty144 View Post

I am trying to figure out how to use the 'my shortcuts' feature.

I have my PBO networked to my computer and 3 popcorn hours. I would like to setup a very simple and quick shortcut to specific 'video' folders on these different drives. I can only seem to set a shortcut to the root of the popcorn hours drive and none of my pc's drives.

What am I missing?

This is what I have posted on PBO forum. Hope this helps !

Path Shortcut in PBO (some, not much, knowledge of "vi" editor required):

1. Share your directory and give a share name (Ex: C:\\Movies, share name: Movies, D:\\MP3, share name: Music, D:\\Photos, share name: Photos)
2. Telnet to your PBO whatever IP it is, user: root, no password.
3. Edit (vi) the file /usr/local/etc/rcS and add at the end :
mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Movies
mount -t cifs //ipaddress of PC/Movies /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Movies
mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Music
mount -t cifs //ipaddress of PC/Music /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Music
mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Photos
mount -t cifs //ipaddress of PC/Photos /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Photos
4. Save your file
5. Issue PBO reboot command from your telnet session (This is equivalent to power off/on from the back of the unit)

Once the PBO comes back, you will be able to stream from the mentioned shares that you will see in PBO Browser, HDD under Movies, Music, Photos.
post #517 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by warzouing View Post

This is what I have posted on PBO forum. Hope this helps !

Path Shortcut in PBO (some, not much, knowledge of "vi" editor required):

1. Share your directory and give a share name (Ex: C:\\Movies, share name: Movies, D:\\MP3, share name: Music, D:\\Photos, share name: Photos)
2. Telnet to your PBO whatever IP it is, user: root, no password.
3. Edit (vi) the file /usr/local/etc/rcS and add at the end :
mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Movies
mount -t cifs //ipaddress of PC/Movies /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Movies
mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Music
mount -t cifs //ipaddress of PC/Music /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Music
mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Photos
mount -t cifs //ipaddress of PC/Photos /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Photos
4. Save your file
5. Issue PBO reboot command from your telnet session (This is equivalent to power off/on from the back of the unit)

Once the PBO comes back, you will be able to stream from the mentioned shares that you will see in PBO Browser, HDD under Movies, Music, Photos.

I was able to telnet to the PBO and change the file as listed above. The 'Movies' label name does appear under the PBO Movies section, but my shared drive still does not show up. I still think something on my network (or the beta P02 firmware) is blocking LAN sharing. I have uninstalled all my Norton software and turned off Windows firewall, but PBO still cannot find my Windows Vista shared drives. Note: Does the Windows share name have to be 'Movies' as listed above or can I use a different name (like 'HDMovies')?
Also, can I use the machine name instead of the IP address above? I use DHCP on my router, so my PC gets a different IP address every time it reboots.
post #518 of 859
I saw the Masscool MP-1371RS and was wondering if it is the same as the Patriot Box? If so could you use Patriot firmware on it?
post #519 of 859
we own the design, but our factory "leaked" some inventory. Although small amount, and shouldn't be any more out there by now.


firmware, we are locking down the firmware based on unit serial code, and that will not allow firmware update on non Patriot product.
post #520 of 859
fyi... for version checerk..

hold pause and stop button on the remote at the same time should be able to display all information on the box office.
post #521 of 859
Have had my PBO installed for a couple weeks now...absolutely love it...

was initially having issues logging in via Windows 7, however with the registry hack provided, everything runs smooth now....

Except...

I cannot get any 1080p MKV content to stream without buffering glitches every minute or so...(The same 1080 MKV file can play glitch free on the computer its located on in full screen) I can't figure it out...720p content streams beautifully...

I am running a wired connection to my router...Before playing, the PBO shows the network connection speed at approx 30000 Kbits/s....

Is it not reasonable to think that a 1080p 12GB MKV file can be streamed smoothly over a 30Mbits/s connection?

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks!

-JA
post #522 of 859
Greetings:

I just got my PBO today and am wondering if anyone here encounter a network problem similar to mine. If so have you been able to resolve it?

I plug the PBO into my Belkin Wireless G router via Ethernet cable. Run set up, the PBO is able to see my network share HD folders from the root. However, when I browse to the sub directory, for instance N:\\DVD\\Movies_titles\\... or N:\\MOVIE_FRENCH\\Movies_titles\\..., PBO shows nothing. Each Movie_title sub-directory contains either IFO or ISO files. Am I missing something?

Any help to resolve this issue is greatly appreciated.
post #523 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwangdel View Post

Greetings:

I just got my PBO today and am wondering if anyone here encounter a network problem similar to mine. If so have you been able to resolve it?

I plug the PBO into my Belkin Wireless G router via Ethernet cable. Run set up, the PBO is able to see my network share HD folders from the root. However, when I browse to the sub directory, for instance N:\\DVD\\Movies_titles\\... or N:\\MOVIE_FRENCH\\Movies_titles\\..., PBO shows nothing. Each Movie_title sub-directory contains either IFO or ISO files. Am I missing something?

Any help to resolve this issue is greatly appreciated.

I have the same problem after update the beta firmware. Endup I have to reinstall the original firmware.
post #524 of 859
I would be interested to know if ANYONE here can get this thing to play a full anydvdhd bluray rip over the wired 100bt network. They do play fine (movie only) off HDD or USB drive, just not over network.

I tried patriot's fourms but just not seeing any help over there. This thing was such a near miss, I am so disappointed.

http://patriotmemory.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2148

http://patriotmemory.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2470
post #525 of 859
Looking forward to getting this, ordered today from Amazon.
Have the WD TV and the audio out of sync is driving me crazy
'hopefully' this unit will handle that better?
G2
post #526 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post

I would be interested to know if ANYONE here can get this thing to play a full anydvdhd bluray rip over the wired 100bt network. They do play fine (movie only) off HDD or USB drive, just not over network.

I tried patriot's fourms but just not seeing any help over there. This thing was such a near miss, I am so disappointed.

See my post from over there:

So I was having similar issues...

Could play any 720p content flawlessly over my wired connection (28-30Mbps speeds)

It would start to get choppy with any 1080p content whether it was an x264 MKV (12GB file size) or Bluray M2ts (18GB file size)....

Even though both play smoothly on the computer they are located...I was thinking perhaps its a codec issue... I installed the new 2.0 version of CoreAVC...

I also updated my Radeon HD3870 video card driver to the most current version...(From then the version that Windows 7 installed which was a few months old...)

So with both the video card update and the install of CoreAVC 2.0....

I can now stream those files without issue to my PBO now....

Maybe that will work out for you....

-JA
post #527 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyAllen View Post

See my post from over there:

So I was having similar issues...

Could play any 720p content flawlessly over my wired connection (28-30Mbps speeds)

It would start to get choppy with any 1080p content whether it was an x264 MKV (12GB file size) or Bluray M2ts (18GB file size)....

Even though both play smoothly on the computer they are located...I was thinking perhaps its a codec issue... I installed the new 2.0 version of CoreAVC...

I also updated my Radeon HD3870 video card driver to the most current version...(From then the version that Windows 7 installed which was a few months old...)

So with both the video card update and the install of CoreAVC 2.0....

I can now stream those files without issue to my PBO now....

Maybe that will work out for you....

-JA


I don't understand how a video driver or codec loaded on the computer has anything to do with with the situation?

Maybe I didn't explain myself right, I am using the patriot box to browse the network share on my computer and mount an ISO image stored there. That image is a bluray rip from an original disk using anydvdhd, no processing other than removing content protection. Only parts of the computer involved are the disk drive, storage drivers, network stack, and network card. Unless I have a vastly messed up understanding the video driver and codec loaded on the computer have nothing to do with it, they can't as people are using NAS boxes for the situation here and that stuff doesn't apply.
post #528 of 859
Listen, I understand your situation. You explained just fine.

To be honest I didn't think my fix was going to work either...because, as you mentioned it doesn't seem like its a codec issue, or even a video card issue on the computer where the file is being stored...

It doesn't make sense that a missing codec or updated video driver on my computer would have any effect on the PBO....

However, this is what I did, and whether it had to do with that or not, after doing so, the issue I was having before (audio/video clipping, out of sync audio on large MKV / BluRay rips) no longer exists...

-JA
post #529 of 859
At this point, with no updates on GUI improvements, I am seriously considering selling my Box Office and moving to a Boxee Box.

Out of the gate, the Boxee has a much better GUI, and better internet media support, downloads DVD covers for disk isos automatically, and the support community seems downright better, for not that much more money.


To the patriot rep, when and what can we expect in the lines of a GUI improvement? I really would like to keep supporting this product, because so far it has been great, but without some big improvements, it will be left in the dust.
post #530 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyAllen View Post

Have had my PBO installed for a couple weeks now...absolutely love it...

was initially having issues logging in via Windows 7, however with the registry hack provided, everything runs smooth now....

Except...

I cannot get any 1080p MKV content to stream without buffering glitches every minute or so...(The same 1080 MKV file can play glitch free on the computer its located on in full screen) I can't figure it out...720p content streams beautifully...

I am running a wired connection to my router...Before playing, the PBO shows the network connection speed at approx 30000 Kbits/s....

Is it not reasonable to think that a 1080p 12GB MKV file can be streamed smoothly over a 30Mbits/s connection?

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks!

-JA

Think you are confusing bits with bytes. Maximun transfer with 10/100 ethernet wired is about 12MB/s(megabytes) in good conditions

1MB is 8192kbits
That puts your network speed at about 3.66MB/s.
post #531 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagic1 View Post

Think you are confusing bits with bytes. Maximun transfer with 10/100 ethernet wired is about 12MB/s(megabytes) in good conditions

1MB is 8192kbits
That puts your network speed at about 3.66MB/s.

You're right...forgot about the conversion...

So I know there have been previous discussions regarding this, but has anyone seen anything faster then approx 30000 Kbits/s on a wired connection.....

Is there some sort of limitation that is preventing the PBO from utilizing all of the available bandwidth on my 10/100 connection?

If there is no limitation and it are simply the network conditions, how do I improve the traffic flow? The PBO connects directly to my router over approx 40ft of Cat5e cable...

I'm not seeing any settings in my Buffalo AirStation WHR-G54S router for QoS....Is there someway to modify settings for this? Perhaps a 3rd party firmware?

-JA
post #532 of 859
So I was testing out a few things with regard to the stuttering - I only experience this with a few blu-rays on a wired connection - the most noticeable is Ninth Gate ripped to a mkv with Make MKV or just a striaght iso.

The Lionsgate into with the turning gears it is noticeable on which is MPEG2 and hits about 30-35 Mbps.

I have a Windows Server 2008 box which supports both CIFS and NFS, so I shared the same directory out as a normal windows share (CIFS) and a NFS share.

I mount both the cifs share and the NFS share in my /usr/local/etc/rcS file :


mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Video
sleep 2
mount -t cifs //192.168.1.65/Video /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Video -o user=REALTEK_guest,password=Realtek_pw

mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Videos
sleep 2
mount -t nfs -o ro ptah-2k8e:/Videos /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Videos

So what I have found is maybe it isn't the network interface that sucks on the PBO, but rather the CIFS client. When I play the same blu-ray file via the NFS mount and the CIFS mount I get stuttering on the CIFS mount and perfect playback via the NFS mount. Keep in mind that both are hosted on the same server so all other variables are removed with regard to network cabling, switch, NIC or disk speed on the server.

If anyone else having stuttering issues over a CIFS mount has access to something that supports NFS, give this a try and see what your results are.


Dave
post #533 of 859
Ok, I must be the clumsiest person ever. So I bought the Patriot Box Office to use here at my grandma´s house in Mexico. Guess what? I forgot the remote so I can´t use it at all!!! I was wondering if I could buy a universal control and use it? I would just need the arrows to work to move and select. I told my mom if she could send me the remote here to Mexico but I´ve heard a lot of bad stories about the mail here in Mexico so I don´t know what to do.
post #534 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyAllen View Post

You're right...forgot about the conversion...

So I know there have been previous discussions regarding this, but has anyone seen anything faster then approx 30000 Kbits/s on a wired connection.....

Is there some sort of limitation that is preventing the PBO from utilizing all of the available bandwidth on my 10/100 connection?

If there is no limitation and it are simply the network conditions, how do I improve the traffic flow? The PBO connects directly to my router over approx 40ft of Cat5e cable...

I'm not seeing any settings in my Buffalo AirStation WHR-G54S router for QoS....Is there someway to modify settings for this? Perhaps a 3rd party firmware?

-JA

Your router is showing as supporting dd-wrt according to the router database.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database
post #535 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by memo90061 View Post

Ok, I must be the clumsiest person ever. So I bought the Patriot Box Office to use here at my grandma´s house in Mexico. Guess what? I forgot the remote so I can´t use it at all!!! I was wondering if I could buy a universal control and use it? I would just need the arrows to work to move and select. I told my mom if she could send me the remote here to Mexico but I´ve heard a lot of bad stories about the mail here in Mexico so I don´t know what to do.

Not sure about any other universal remote, but the PBO remote codes are now included in the Logitech Harmony Learning Remote database. Not sure about the price in Mexico but hopefully it wont cost you as much as the PBO
post #536 of 859
Does anybody notice that there is a USB connector inside the box?
post #537 of 859
I see in this forum and on PBO's that the new firmware is suppose to play HDDVD ISO but I have had no luck with my King Kong HDDVD (rippped to ISO by AnyDVD). Did I miss something. Since I don't have BD, is BD ISO working?
post #538 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadigi View Post

Does anybody notice that there is a USB connector inside the box?

Yeah I saw it, looked like a standard header like you find on motherboards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator99 View Post

I see in this forum and on PBO's that the new firmware is suppose to play HDDVD ISO but I have had no luck with my King Kong HDDVD (rippped to ISO by AnyDVD). Did I miss something. Since I don't have BD, is BD ISO working?

Was it on the internal drive or a USB drive? If not it is unlikely to work over network.
post #539 of 859
it was on my FreeNAS NAS server (hardwired 100Mbs) - it plays just fine with TotalMediaTheatre 3 and Media Center (hardwired) but choppy with my G wireless - I have not had any network speed issues with PBO (up til now I guess) Too Bad.
post #540 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator99 View Post

it was on my FreeNAS NAS server (hardwired 100Mbs) - it plays just fine with TotalMediaTheatre 3 and Media Center (hardwired) but choppy with my G wireless - I have not had any network speed issues with PBO (up til now I guess) Too Bad.

Networked or not, HD-DVD will not play over the PBO (with old or new firmware).
You will get an Invalid Format prompt.
That said, the problem was reported to PBO and they said they will be looking into it (around 6 weeks ago), they promised a new firmware in March (which may or may not fix this problem)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Patriot Box Office 1080P High Definition Media Player PCMPBO25