or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Propane Fireplace in a theater?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Propane Fireplace in a theater?

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
I'm trying to decide if a fireplace in a semi-dedicated theater is a good idea...

I used to have a pellet stove and I really liked it, but I'm redoing the theater and thinking about putting in a propane, zero clearance fireplace or nothing at all (the pellet stove is not going back in).

I would love the *heat* and ambiance from the fireplace (this is my basement, where it gets cold, about 20 minutes south of canada). I'm just worried that the fire might slightly wash out the picture or be distracting.

I'm planning on using a Panasonic PT-AE4000U at 14.5' on a 135" - 1:2.39 screen for about 15fL brightness.

I'm also planning on using the smallest, least-bright fireplace available (a Monnessen BVD300). I have seen them in person and they are really not very bright, whisper quiet and provide 20k BTUs of heat .

This is how the fireplace and screen will be located (sub on the left, Fireplace on the right):


I'm pretty set on doing the fireplace. But this is a light controlled room and I'm wondering if I will regret intentionally creating some light.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated...
post #2 of 20
It is in man's genetic background to build shelter and start a fire. I doubt you'll find the desire to have a roaring fire going during a good movie.

Also a heat source is usually not appreciated in a well insulated air tight theater space. You may need to run the air conditioner when you use the fireplace.
post #3 of 20
I agree, not many people need to add heat to their HT rooms
post #4 of 20
i say = get 2 fireplaces = stereo. just don't use em during a movie. find another place for the sub, should have 2 of em anyway.
post #5 of 20
I would think a fireplace would be a distraction during a movie and if room is just for movies when would you use it.
post #6 of 20
I would take the money for the fireplace and buy a heated massage chair.
post #7 of 20
As someone who also appreciates a good fire, I say go for it. However, could it be located away from the front wall? I had a fireplace in my first theater and loved it in the winter. It was on a side wall though. Seems it would be a distraction so close to the screen.
I'm with you brother, my theater is freezing in the winter and was actually thinking about getting one of those electric firplace/woodstoves with the faux flames for the back of the room. There's just something abut a fireplace that makes the world seem like a better place.
post #8 of 20
If you do end up getting one make sure its correctly flued - not only for gas emisions etc, but from a soundproofing/flanking perspective.
post #9 of 20
We have a blueflame heater on our back wall in the basement which is our HT room.Love it.No flue is needed for them.Runs on LP gas.
post #10 of 20
I'm becoming a fan of ethanol fireplaces. They look super modern, clean, and minimal and much like a propane fireplace, you could turn it on and off fairly easy.

Examples:
http://www.fireplaces-store.com/etha...es_223_ctg.htm
http://www.nextag.com/ethanol-fireplace/stores-html
http://digifire.com/
http://www.ecosmartfire.com/en/home


If I was going to put a fireplace in my theater, I'd put it in the back or on the side of the theater... not the front wall. Build a lounge space around it.
post #11 of 20
I say go for it. I put a natural gas fireplace in mine but am not finished so can't comment on how well it works. Keep in mind that you will compromise acoustics and have some light pollution. I agree with the others, I don't know if I'd put it on the screen wall if you have other placement options. Either move the screen or the fireplace. No offense to the others but it looks like the naysayers live in places like VA and KY. Here in MN our Marches are like your January's, and I stop using my upstairs fireplace by March. The original poster lives 20 minutes south of Canada which if in MN is even much colder than here in the Twin Cities. I don't think you guys realize just how cold a basement in this sort of climate is, especially if the fireplace is a primary heat source for the room.
post #12 of 20
+1 on putting it somewhere other than the screen wall. I was thinking about doing one in my rec. room but I was told by a plumber that the flue-less ones are illegal in MA. I'm not certain if it true ot not but maybe a future upgrade if isn't or they are allowed later on.
post #13 of 20
My parents have a real fireplace about 8-10 feet off to the left of the screen, and it does wash out the picture some. It really depends on how picky you will be. Also what about radiant flooring and then heated seats?
post #14 of 20
Thread Starter 
WOW! thanks for all the thoughtful responses, this place is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

It is in man's genetic background to build shelter and start a fire. I doubt you'll find the desire to have a roaring fire going during a good movie. Also a heat source is usually not appreciated in a well insulated air tight theater space. You may need to run the air conditioner when you use the fireplace.

lol at needing an air conditioner, no one in this area owns an air conditioner. Sometimes I will want a fire, maybe for sports or TV. when it is distracting I can just flip a switch to turn it off. I hear ya on the genetic background, I've been a fire lover since day one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabricator View Post

i say = get 2 fireplaces = stereo. just don't use em during a movie. find another place for the sub, should have 2 of em anyway.

Two subs would be nice, but the one I have currently is plenty. Two fireplaces is out of the budget and just kinda weird :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I would take the money for the fireplace and buy a heated massage chair.

I'm really considering this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadoo View Post

As someone who also appreciates a good fire, I say go for it. However, could it be located away from the front wall? I had a fireplace in my first theater and loved it in the winter.

I'm not sure where else to put it. In the corner seems like the natural spot to provide the best heat and ambiance. That corner is also where the pellet stove was. Here is a more complete picture of the layout, the punch out on the left side is a kitchenette/wetbar:



Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

If you do end up getting one make sure its correctly flued - not only for gas emisions etc, but from a soundproofing/flanking perspective.

Can you elaborate on this a little? I'm not sure what you mean... Thank you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

I'm becoming a fan of ethanol fireplaces. They look super modern, clean, and minimal and much like a propane fireplace

Wow, I have never seen those before, looks pretty cool. I will look in to it, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Train View Post

I say go for it. I put a natural gas fireplace in mine but am not finished so can't comment on how well it works.

Yeah, I really think it will be nice for TV and sports in the winter. We use the pellet stove a lot right now. We also have the whole house HVAC unit, but it's just not the same, and it takes a little longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumavguy View Post

My parents have a real fireplace about 8-10 feet off to the left of the screen, and it does wash out the picture some. It really depends on how picky you will be. Also what about radiant flooring and then heated seats?

I've thought about radiant heat, but it seems expensive and overkill for a basement theater. Still considering heated seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

+1 on putting it somewhere other than the screen wall. I was thinking about doing one in my rec. room but I was told by a plumber that the flue-less ones are illegal in MA. I'm not certain if it true ot not but maybe a future upgrade if isn't or they are allowed later on.

The fireplace im considering is a direct vent model, not sure where else to put it. You can see my layout above, any suggestions are appreciated.


Also, here is a chzy live motion pic of how it looked with the pellet stove, before I started the rebuild...



the new room will be much more like a dedicated theater, with a nicer PJ, speakers, acoustic treatments, a false wall 15" in front of the current wall. this new false wall will have a wider (2.4:1) acoustically transparent screen hiding the speakers.

THANKS AGAIN!
post #15 of 20
Combustion in an air tight room? Ok. Fresh air system and carbon monoxide detector is in order. Something like this for example:
http://www.broan.com/display/router....oductID=100080
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by allroadCole View Post

Can you elaborate on this a little? I'm not sure what you mean... Thank you.

Any time you burn a gas there is some sort of an output, typically CO2 or CO (on the nasty side) in terms of the usual gases used for heating. So unless your heater has a flue these gases will stay in your room = bad.

Now I'm not going to get into an arguement about safe levels of CO2 or CO, heating like this produces more which is bad for you full stop (theres no such thing as a little bit pregnant IMHO). You can make a decision on regulated levels if you wish. Be advised tho that fluless heaters of any type have been banned in many a country. For example we have them banned here in schools and from next year they'll be banned in homes....they're also banned in many places in Europe.

In the case of propane as suggested, combustion does generate CO2 (again this is bad):

C3H8 + 5 O2 --> 3 CO2 + 4 H2O

So to my first point, if you have a gas fire/heater you'll need a flue.

To my second point, check out Ted's website www.soundproofingcompany.com, it has details on flanking. Read the bit on a dead vent, its the same principal in terms of a heater/flue
post #17 of 20
Just as an FYI, apparently Ryan Seacrest has a fireplace in his theater...
http://www.modernhometheater.com/vir...est/slideshow/
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyst View Post

Just as an FYI, apparently Ryan Seacrest has a fireplace in his theater...
http://www.modernhometheater.com/vir...est/slideshow/

Room was built 100% for looks and 0% for performance. Look at all of the hard surfaces. Sound has to be bouncing around all over the place. Look at all of the reflections. Heck you can practically see the whole screen reflecting on the ceiling. For HT that room sucks. Nice looking room, but not what I would call an HT.
post #19 of 20
Seacrest OUT (of it)
post #20 of 20
I have a firplace in our non dedicated theater room, in that exact spot. It is in the basement in michigan, and it is cold down there during the winter. Its a direct vent natural gas one. I go down about 20 minutes before the movie turn it on with the blowers, it warms it up nicely then we turn the blowers off for the movie, but leave the fire place on. It doesnt really give off that much light. I say go for it. if it werent for the fireplace the theater could only be used for about 6 months a year.
Most of those fireplaces have an adjustment for the amount of flame they put out. If you find it to light, just turn it down.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Propane Fireplace in a theater?