or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › THE Official LG "55LHX" Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

THE Official LG "55LHX" Owners Thread - Page 8

post #211 of 3040
Anyone know where I might be able to find a remaining lhx/lh95 in the northern va/dc/md area?
post #212 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Kight View Post

Anyone know where I might be able to find a remaining lhx/lh95 in the northern va/dc/md area?

Cleveland Plasma is shipping me a 55LHX, to way up North of Toronto, Ontario from California. Should be here in the next few days. Check with them.
post #213 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by best1080plcd View Post

Also ocassionally, but somewhat frequently, when playing DVD's (mostly Blue Ray) a band of ripplely "waves" appear on the bottom portion of the screen and kind of travel about half way up the screen before they dissapear. It kind of seems as if there were signal interferance although the media box is directly under the TV in an open space, and it shows a strong signal when I press the information button on the remote.

Is this an issue when the TV is hardwired to the media box or is it only visible with the wireless connection?
post #214 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew67 View Post

Is this an issue when the TV is hardwired to the media box or is it only visible with the wireless connection?

Did he try moving the Control Center to a different area or to a greater distance from the LG?
post #215 of 3040
I had this problem when the mediabox was wireless, located directly below the TV. Signal strength was good, but had the "ripleys" on the lower portion of the screen. I seem to recall that they occured only on low resolution brodcasts.

Moved the mediabox behind the wall, and ran wired, with high end hdmi cables, problem solved.

I have my TV mounted with all wires/components hidden in a stereo cabinet in the next room. Have a Niles wireless remote sensor. Very happy with the whole system.
I also like the fast start-up with the wired mode.
post #216 of 3040
A shiny, new LHX55 arrived on my doorstep this morning from Cleveland Plasma. :-) We must be making a decent hit in their inventory.

Sadly, I had to head to the office soon after delivery, so all I know is that there was no shipping damage and it powers on. The fun begins tonight...
post #217 of 3040
Congratulations on your LHX
See my post 69 and 74 on this thread.... this TV is simply awesome... I have mine since it just came out and it is working flawlessly.
I do not plan to change my bedroom TV for a long time...
Enjoy.
post #218 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherman007 View Post

A shiny, new LHX55 arrived on my doorstep this morning from Cleveland Plasma. :-) We must be making a decent hit in their inventory.

Sadly, I had to head to the office soon after delivery, so all I know is that there was no shipping damage and it powers on. The fun begins tonight...

Mine, from CP, is somewhere in Customs at the Canadian border!
Got to love that Real Time Tracking - NOT!
post #219 of 3040
Has anyone measured the input lag against a CRT to determine the amount? I'm curious how it stacks up against the B8500.
post #220 of 3040
Still early in the game, but here are my initial thoughts and observations:

- Black levels are extremely impressive. As in you think the TV is turned off impressive.
- Low reflectivity. Availability of matte screens is what steered me toward LG to begin with, and the LHX55 delivers there. Even with the blinds open on three large windows opposite the television its still very watchable. And that's before wall-mounting and tweaking the angle to help further.
- Out of the box settings were good, but I noticed a good amount of off-angle blooming. Over lunch today I applied the CNET settings from earlier in this thread and the off-angle results seemed better. Hopefully this will tide me over until I can schedule a real calibration, but I'm going to keep an eye out here.
- I'm not completely sold on the wireless yet. There was a lot of judder, particularly noticeable on a static HTPC signal. I was getting quite worried watching the OSD from my XBMC box twitch. But when I turned the media box to face the TV, the quality got a lot better. In both cases it was about 5 feet away. Anecdotal, but the wireless appears to need not line-of-sight but also directionally-sensitive. More experimentation to follow. Ultimately I plan to run a wired HDMI connection anyway and use a switching receiver.
- As someone pointed out earlier, the set appears unforgiving on poor quality signals. Uverse's compression is much more obvious on the LHX55 than on my old TV. Tonight should be the initial PS3 blu-ray experience to test full 1080p over a wired connection. I have high hopes!

Has anyone noticed audible fan noise and/or a slight hum from their set? I did this morning, but only after disconnecting the active input and the room went completely silent. I'm not sure if it will bother me during normal viewing. But if everyone else's sets are completely quiet, I may call LG out to take a look.
post #221 of 3040
"Ultimately I plan to run a wired HDMI connection anyway and use a switching receiver"

The media box is a switching receiver when used in wired mode.

"Has anyone noticed audible fan noise and/or a slight hum from their set?"

Have noticed, and is very minor when mounted on the wall, not an issue. I used a slim wall mount, placing the tv 1" from the wall.

Enjoy!
post #222 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Mine, from CP, is somewhere in Customs at the Canadian border!
Got to love that Real Time Tracking - NOT!

Don't think the Customs People are believing the price on the Invoice. LG still wants over $4000 here in Canada!

Well, finally heard from Customs - my 55LHX is to be delivered next week. I'm hoping they don't put a fork lift through it in the meantime, nor someone decides this would be a nice set to have at home and the heck with whomever was supposed to get it!
post #223 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherman007 View Post

A shiny, new LHX55 arrived on my doorstep this morning from Cleveland Plasma. :-) We must be making a decent hit in their inventory.

Sadly, I had to head to the office soon after delivery, so all I know is that there was no shipping damage and it powers on. The fun begins tonight...

Just received my 55LHX after sitting in Customs for a week. First thing I noticed - No THX Mode - and I thought I read from someone, there were 2 THX Modes! (Not None) ? Secondly, there's no INNER calibration screen Option for calibrating Grayscale. Have you noticed the same with your unit?
post #224 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Just received my 55LHX after sitting in Customs for a week. First thing I noticed - No THX Mode - and I thought I read from someone, there were 2 THX Modes! (Not None) ? Secondly, there's no INNER calibration screen Option for calibrating Grayscale. Have you noticed the same with your unit?

Are you connecting from your source directly to the monitor? Or are you connected through the LG wireless box? I thought I read that if you're not using the box then you lose some menu items.
post #225 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew67 View Post

Are you connecting from your source directly to the monitor? Or are you connected through the LG wireless box? I thought I read that if you're not using the box then you lose some menu items.

Comparing my 55LH90 with the 55LHX, so the 55LHX is on wireless mode on my dresser. Drop dead gorgeous right out of the box! Problem, wife took it over and wants it off my dresser and into her room to bump out her LG 47". I think I can get around this by telling her if she wants it, she can pay for it!
Once we get this settled (After I pry her out of my room watching Stereophonic Video!), I think she'll take the 55LH90 instead, but will have to be constantly kicked out my room from watching the 55LHX which will now be in the wall unit and connected directly from the controller module. (And here I was afraid she'd kill me when she found out I'd bought it!)
post #226 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Just received my 55LHX after sitting in Customs for a week. First thing I noticed - No THX Mode - and I thought I read from someone, there were 2 THX Modes! (Not None) ? Secondly, there's no INNER calibration screen Option for calibrating Grayscale. Have you noticed the same with your unit?

No problem, just a new owner panic attack! Was use to the THX being proudly displayed on LG's Left Hand Sticker on the set - none displayed. While listing the Modes THX was missing and when looking for the INNER 100IRE to check the screen for cracks: not found - all before signing off with the shipper. Once setup at home, THX Mode and INNER Grayscale screens were there where they were suppose to be. Murphy's law or something like that!
Comparisons to the 55LH90 - Watching StarGate tonight - several small details - man approaching with flashlight - glaring on the LH90, spot beamed on the 55LHX. Members going through darker areas of the ship, more detailed dark areas on the 55LHX. Crisper appearance on the 55LHX. When in a situation that the video screen was just in the center with Black Borders all round - 55LH90 Borders were kind of Milky Black, the 55LHX Borders were Black! Sunday comes the show down -wife gets the 55LH90, daughter gets sold the 47LG70 and I get to keep the 55LHX! (or that's the way it's supposed to go!)

(Forgot, when there's no HDMI source plugged in, some of the Option listings go missing until a HDMI Source is plugged in!)
post #227 of 3040
I might have missed the boat, but I need to try one more time. Cleveland Plasma is out of stock on the lhx, and I haven't been able to find anyone else with one still in stock. Anyone have any other ideas for where to get a 55lhx?

I have an lh90 but would rather move up to the lhx.
post #228 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank1 View Post

"Has anyone noticed audible fan noise and/or a slight hum from their set?"

Have noticed, and is very minor when mounted on the wall, not an issue. I used a slim wall mount, placing the tv 1" from the wall.

Enjoy!

Thanks. I will be wall mounting in a bit - glad to know that helps. It is minor, and I'm still loving this TV...
post #229 of 3040
Scot:

I picked an LHX up from Adorama about a month ago. Purchase went smoothly. Took about a week to go from New York to Wyoming. I'm very happy with the set so far.
post #230 of 3040
Well I tried - for 2 days I tried - but just could not get my 55LH90 to look as good as the 55LHX. This TV is stunning! - never saw milky Blacks on my 55LH90 until I compared it to the 55LHX. LG - I seriously thing you made a boo-boo when you stopped production of this model! Was waiting for the new 55LX9500 - but no more - the 55LHX wins hands down - glad I was able to get one when I did! Now even more so after hearing the 55LX9500 was recalled. But before that, the Banding Issues and High Reflectivity were getting to be a turn off. The 55LHX is all the the 55LX9500 isn't. More LEDs, it's thin without compromising and it's a Matte Screen!
post #231 of 3040
Logitech's Harmony software didn't find the "LHX55" in its model list, so I set up with the LH90. Things are working fine, except that it doesn't have an HDMI 5 input option. I'm not sure if I'll need it, but my OCD is kicking in...

Anyone have a model number (maybe something from the 2010 lineup) that is a closer match to the LHX55 and result in the HDMI 5 input showing up in the Harmony software setup?
post #232 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherman007 View Post

Logitech's Harmony software didn't find the "LHX55" in its model list, so I set up with the LH90. Things are working fine, except that it doesn't have an HDMI 5 input option. I'm not sure if I'll need it, but my OCD is kicking in...

Anyone have a model number (maybe something from the 2010 lineup) that is a closer match to the LHX55 and result in the HDMI 5 input showing up in the Harmony software setup?

I preferred the Direct connect from the Controller - Hence Service Out on the Controller to Service In on the 55LHX (HDMI 5)
When all else fails, you can always use the LG Remote, come to think of it, did it show a HDMI 5 Input - will have to check!. Come to think of it where is HDMI 4? Will now have to do a double check.
Well, the 55LH90 got bumped out of the Master's Bedroom and into the Wife's Loft. She's crying the loss of her 47LG70, but doesn't want me selling off the 55LH90 at a greater loss than I'll take selling 47LG70!
But, at this particular point in time, the 55LHX was a dam good purchase and I just love the Out of the Box Quality!
post #233 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

I preferred the Direct connect from the Controller - Hence Service Out on the Controller to Service In on the 55LHX (HDMI 5)
When all else fails, you can always use the LG Remote, come to think of it, did it show a HDMI 5 Input - will have to check!. Come to think of it where is HDMI 4? Will now have to do a double check.
Well, the 55LH90 got bumped out of the Master's Bedroom and into the Wife's Loft. She's crying the loss of her 47LG70, but doesn't want me selling off the 55LH90 at a greater loss than I'll take selling 47LG70!
But, at this particular point in time, the 55LHX was a dam good purchase and I just love the Out of the Box Quality!

HDMI4 is the one on the front of the media box.
post #234 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherman007 View Post

HDMI4 is the one on the front of the media box.

This Old Fart Forgot seeing it! But you're right, right beside the Front USB input! Problem was, most of my time was spent in the back of the unit. Then to, the first place I had it sitting was on the top of my Wall Unit. Now, that the actual TV is In the Wall Unit, the Controller is down with the LG, but at the Back. Both positions had me working with the Back Inputs. Still can't get over the Excellent PQ of this LG!
post #235 of 3040
First off, this TV is in the Logitech Harmony database. I had entered LHX55 instead of 55LHX. Use the right model number and HDMI 5 magically appears...

Last night I saw some of the best and worst display of material. True Blood (HBO HD delivered via Uverse) was pretty good. Some motion artifacts, but very watchable and definitely a step up from my old set. After that, I switched over to the Tony Awards for a minute. The musical number from American Idiot (broadway show by Green Day) was broadcast live, with strobe lights flashing all over the place, high motion levels, and Uverse compression on top. I've never seen anything look that bad on any television. So to cleanse my visual palette, I brought up some of the clips from here:
http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/hi...n-trailers.php
I've used these for test material for a while, and they're all pretty good. As demo material for the 55LHX, I highly recommend the Taipei HDClub recordings of fireworks. Black levels and contrast really jump out at you.

This set has done a phenomenal job of displaying whatever I throw at it - flaws and all. I just hope that it doesn't push me into being dissatisfied with all of the sat/cable/IPTV options that I have to choose from...
post #236 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherman007 View Post


As demo material for the 55LHX, I highly recommend the Taipei HDClub recordings of fireworks. Black levels and contrast really jump out at you.

This set has done a phenomenal job of displaying whatever I throw at it - flaws and all. I just hope that it doesn't push me into being dissatisfied with all of the sat/cable/IPTV options that I have to choose from...

Is the Taipei Fireworks DVD that Good - I see Amazon has it?
post #237 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Is the Taipei Fireworks DVD that Good - I see Amazon has it?

It's really good demo material, but I don't think it's worth a $50 purchase. The demo clip is a couple of minutes long and about right (for me) to show off what the TV can do. Of course, you need an HTPC or HD-capable media player to play the m2ts file. I just got my XBMC installation updated to pass 1080p/24 (actually 23.97 exactly) to the LG. Beautiful, judder-free picture that gives the PS3 a run for its money on HD content.
post #238 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherman007 View Post

It's really good demo material, but I don't think it's worth a $50 purchase. The demo clip is a couple of minutes long and about right (for me) to show off what the TV can do. Of course, you need an HTPC or HD-capable media player to play the m2ts file. I just got my XBMC installation updated to pass 1080p/24 (actually 23.97 exactly) to the LG. Beautiful, judder-free picture that gives the PS3 a run for its money on HD content.

Son gave me a $50 AMAZON.CA Gift certificate, so, blew it on the Taipei Fireworks DVD. The DVD is $10 cheaper at Amazon.ca then amazon.com. Will check it out when it arrives! - Arrived Today!
post #239 of 3040
Have been trying to figure out what I so Like about the 55LHX? Then, tonight, it hit me! You Don't Notice the Borders! Use to hate when you got a Smaller Video Picture on the Big Screen and the Bars on the Side and/or Top and Bottom drove me crazy! On the 55LHZ, they're just SO Black, you don't see them! Instead, it just appears you're looking at a smaller set than the 55". Love this set more and More!
post #240 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Son gave me a $50 AMAZON.CA Gift certificate, so, blew it on the Taipei Fireworks DVD. The DVD is $10 cheaper at Amazon.ca then amazon.com. Will check it out when it arrives! - Arrived Today!

Very good quality video. 4 Short Features with even shorter Extras, consisting of Trailers for 2 of the Features, and a Photo Run Through of the setting up of the 2009 New Years Eve Fireworks. First Short Feature is a very quick preview of Scenery around Taipei. Feature 2 - 2008 New Years Eve Fireworks - not too bad until you see Feature 3 - 2009 New Years Eve Fireworks. Definitely better than 2008! Then, again, a very fast run through of various Lantern Festivals throughout the Land. A Good Price to sell this would be $19.99, Excellent $9.99! Glad I bought at Amazon.ca where it's $10 cheaper than Amazon.com. This DVD had a lot of potential to show more of the Country and it's Natural wonders. A more detailed and informative showing of the Firework Setups, and done with Video, Not Photos, plus an added commentary would have added more value to this DVD! Excellent choice of music, but some of it got a little repetitious. At the current selling price, I'm glad my son gave me the Amazon Gift Certificate which I used to pay for it. If the price drops down to the prices I've mentioned, then it would be not too bad a deal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › THE Official LG "55LHX" Owners Thread