or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › THE Official LG "55LHX" Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

THE Official LG "55LHX" Owners Thread - Page 84

post #2491 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

RG:/192
GG:/180
BG:/100
RC:/61
GC:/61
BC:/64


Where are these at?

We use a LG Service Remote (Can also be done from a computer using a serial cable - check with Nony as how to do this) and adjust White Balance Values in the Service Menu. (SM)
Please note: your THX, Expert 1 and 2 should have come with Factory settings for the CMS and IREs. Write these down before changing any values.
If these are all Zeroed Out, then something has happened to them. Usually the LG 55LH90 and 55LHX came with Factory calibrated settings in the THX, Expert 1 and 2. The LG 55LV9500, came all Zeroed out, excepting the SM White Balance that appeared to have been calibrated. (All our sets had different values in the SM White Balance.)
post #2492 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

When I put the Meter to Konica's settings - the values weren't linear straight across. First calibration, put the Blue into Linear straight across. Looked, at that time, to be a tad better. Next, did the same for Red and Green - not so good! Went back to just the Blue settings, then noticed a slightly Green presence. Went back to all Zeroes for the IREs.
Myself, I watch THX Mode, but also put the settings into Expert 1 and 2. We've found in the past, what is in Expert 1 and 2, affects the THX PQ. So, I backup the settings into Expert 1 and 2, so they now complement the THX, instead of possibly making a detrimental effect. Konica putting mine into Expert 1, will not affect his THX as much, in that they're mostly the same, with just some minor changes. The only problem here is, he can't change the SM White Balance values without affecting his THX settings. So can't quite do all my settings.

You guys are confusing.......

One minute you post to change our THX values, next post you state to put these values in Expert1 and Expert2, and then those values will affect the THX values, do you realize how confusing that is?

So I changed all my THX values to your previous posted settings ( with konnica's changes ), and the previous settings you posted with Konnica's settings were suppose to be in THX mode, so now were suppose to do the same with Expert1 or Expert2?.....
post #2493 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

You guys are confusing.......

One minute you post to change our THX values, next post you state to put these values in Expert1 and Expert2, and then those values will affect the THX values, do you realize how confusing that is?

So I changed all my THX values to your previous posted settings ( with konnica's changes ), and the previous settings you posted with Konnica's settings were suppose to be in THX mode, so now were suppose to do the same with Expert1 or Expert2?.....

OK - #1 - You, at this point, should have written down all the Original Factory Settings that came with your 55LHX in the THX, Expert 1 and 2 Modes. Occasionally, I'll put the Originals back in place to check, but electronic values have changed since the set was new, and no longer give the same results. Besides, konica's settings are better than the Originals anyways!
#2 - In my case, my latest New settings are installed into THX, Expert 1 and 2 to complement each other - then I watch the THX Mode.
#3 - Konica has his settings in THX, but he put my settings into Expert 1 to try out, without disturbing his THX settings. But, he can't install the SM White Balance settings to properly watch with my settings because it will now throw off his THX settings. Now, he may change the SM White Balance settings to mine to test the Expert 1 results. Then reset back to his SM White Balance when he goes back to watching his THX settings. Because the settings are more or less similiar, my settings in his Expert 1, should not greatly affect his THX settings if he leaves them in Expert 1.
To test this theory, check your PQ in THX - now, go into Expert 1 and 2 Modes, put ALL your IRE RGB values at, let's say 20 (ie:R=20, G=20, B=20 from 10IRE to 100IRE - PQ at this point will probably look yuckky), then go back and checkout your THX Mode. Does it still look as good? Probably not!
Now then, if your set is closer to konica's, his settings will look better on your set. If closer to mine, then my settings will look better. In either case, pick which gives you the best PQ to start. Turn your Colour Mode Off (Down to Zero) and see if you're getting a truly B&W picture - if not, tweak to get it there with no colour of any kind showing except B&W and various shades of Grey.
post #2494 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

When I put the Meter to Konica's settings - the values weren't linear straight across. First calibration, put the Blue into Linear straight across. Looked, at that time, to be a tad better. Next, did the same for Red and Green - not so good! Went back to just the Blue settings, then noticed a slightly Green presence. Went back to all Zeroes for the IREs.
Myself, I watch THX Mode, but also put the settings into Expert 1 and 2. We've found in the past, what is in Expert 1 and 2, affects the THX PQ. So, I backup the settings into Expert 1 and 2, so they now complement the THX, instead of possibly making a detrimental effect. Konica putting mine into Expert 1, will not affect his THX as much, in that they're mostly the same, with just some minor changes. The only problem here is, he can't change the SM White Balance values without affecting his THX settings. So can't quite do all my settings.

Just as I said I did, I entered all including WHITE BALANCE to my settings and it gave me a warmer looking picture. The IRE'S are not much differant than my originals so I left THX mode alone. I have checked THX and it looks fine, not better bit will try it for a few days. I found like TheaterChad said it takes a few days to see how it looks on all sources.

Slickman, you may have missed my previous post letting you know you would need the SERVICE REMOTE or a cable adapter from a laptop to get into the service menu. So when you say you tried my settings YOU REALLY DID NOT
You just can't do the ones you want, you have to do all of em!
post #2495 of 3040
Where can I get the service remote?
post #2496 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

OK - #1 - You, at this point, should have written down all the Original Factory Settings that came with your 55LHX in the THX, Expert 1 and 2 Modes. Occasionally, I'll put the Originals back in place to check, but electronic values have changed since the set was new, and no longer give the same results. Besides, konica's settings are better than the Originals anyways!
#2 - In my case, my latest New settings are installed into THX, Expert 1 and 2 to complement each other - then I watch the THX Mode.
#3 - Konica has his settings in THX, but he put my settings into Expert 1 to try out, without disturbing his THX settings. But, he can't install the SM White Balance settings to properly watch with my settings because it will now throw off his THX settings. Now, he may change the SM White Balance settings to mine to test the Expert 1 results. Then reset back to his SM White Balance when he goes back to watching his THX settings. Because the settings are more or less similiar, my settings in his Expert 1, should not greatly affect his THX settings if he leaves them in Expert 1.
To test this theory, check your PQ in THX - now, go into Expert 1 and 2 Modes, put ALL your IRE RGB values at, let's say 20 (ie:R=20, G=20, B=20 from 10IRE to 100IRE - PQ at this point will probably look yuckky), then go back and checkout your THX Mode. Does it still look as good? Probably not!
Now then, if your set is closer to konica's, his settings will look better on your set. If closer to mine, then my settings will look better. In either case, pick which gives you the best PQ to start. Turn your Colour Mode Off (Down to Zero) and see if you're getting a truly B&W picture - if not, tweak to get it there with no colour of any kind showing except B&W and various shades of Grey.

Excellent, thanks for that....

I do not have the service remote, nor a laptop to access to change the white balance values...

I used the code to access just the settings in THX mode, which I could do a re-set to default values, and they would be back to original, either way, with using the last settings posted, it looks great as it is....

As with Slickman, where do we buy the service remote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

RG:/192
GG:/180
BG:/100
RC:/61
GC:/61
BC:/64


Where are these at?

Are these really needed to be changed? As my previous post, wondering how much difference there is with you / konnica using the iscan Duo's and your settings vs us that don't use the iscan duo and our settings?
Thanks!
post #2497 of 3040
I don't use the calibration of the iScan Duo. All calibrations are on the 55LHX itself. In fact, this is what is recommended. Calibrate the 55LHX first - fine tune with the iScan Duo. Since none of my Meters can do a correct job on this set, and I doubt my wife would appreciate me purchasing the $30,000 Meter and $8000 (Refurbished) pattern generator that LG recommends, I'll stick with Konica's recommendations First!
post #2498 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

Where can I get the service remote?

Here you are for the service remote:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/105-201M
post #2499 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

Excellent, thanks for that....

I do not have the service remote, nor a laptop to access to change the white balance values...

I used the code to access just the settings in THX mode, which I could do a re-set to default values, and they would be back to original, either way, with using the last settings posted, it looks great as it is....

As with Slickman, where do we buy the service remote?



Are these really needed to be changed? As my previous post, wondering how much difference there is with you / konnica using the iscan Duo's and your settings vs us that don't use the iscan duo and our settings?
Thanks!

Chad, your factory settings may be very close to my white balance settings which on mine were way off from the factory. So before you run out for the service remote, try turning your color OFF to 0 and see if you have a real BLACK&WHITE picture without any tints or shades of RED, GREEN, or BLUE. If it is pure black and white, you are ready to go. I will show you this in Janurary when you come to Vegas!

As with p5browne, I only use my DUO for upscaling to 1080p and switching!
post #2500 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

Chad, your factory settings may be very close to my white balance settings which were way off from the factory. So before you run out for the service remote, try turning your color OFF to 0 and see if you have a real BLACK&WHITE picture without any tints or shades of RED, GREEN, or BLUE. If it is pure black and white, you are ready to go. I will show you this in Janurary when you come to Vegas!

As with p5browne, I only use my DUO for upscaling to 1080p and switching!

Ok, thanks for this info, I will try this in about an hour, either way I think I'm going to need a service remote, or use a laptop to get access, the link knobe provided for a service remote, it was only 42 bucks....
So turn color off to zero, I think I know where to do this, will try it.

Sounds like were getting a suite at the Cosmopolitian, with a 50 foot wrap around corner balcony, over looks towards the Bellagio water fountain, and then the balcony wraps around towards the strip, talk about Hang'Over Part 3
post #2501 of 3040
post #2502 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

Ok, thanks for this info, I will try this in about an hour, either way I think I'm going to need a service remote, or use a laptop to get access, the link knobe provided for a service remote, it was only 42 bucks....
So turn color off to zero, I think I know where to do this, will try it.

Sounds like were getting a suite at the Cosmopolitian, with a 50 foot wrap around corner balcony, over looks towards the Bellagio water fountain, and then the balcony wraps around towards the strip, talk about Hang'Over Part 3

It is below the VERTICAL SHARPNESS AND ABOVE TINT on the first page of the menu!
post #2503 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

It is below the VERTICAL SHARPNESS AND ABOVE TINT on the first page of the menu!

OK, I set color to zero and it looked black and white, I looked at it for a bit, but it was wierd, after moving the color to zero, it seemed to take a bit after I moved color back to where it was, but as far as I could tell, it was black and white.
post #2504 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

OK, I set color to zero and it looked black and white, I looked at it for a bit, but it was wierd, after moving the color to zero, it seemed to take a bit after I moved color back to where it was, but as far as I could tell, it was black and white.

I set my White Balance using an old TV show like "I LOVE LUCY" in a dark room late at night. These older series were filmed in black and white. It reminds me of the old days when I had my own TV repair business and I would set up a new color CRT. If the black and white track properly , when you add the color there will be only slight variations. My LG had problem with Red which I was always trying to compensate for in the IREs and CMS'. This gives me a flater line and better color tracking for a more lifelike picture.
I then check it with a GREY SCALE RAMP test pattern.

Like p5browne said it takes a lot of time and patience, but so far it is worth it!
post #2505 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

I set my White Balance using an old TV show like "I LOVE LUCY" in a dark room late at night. These older series were filmed in black and white. It reminds me of the old days when I had my own TV repair business and I would set up a new color CRT. If the black and white track properly , when you add the color there will be only slight variations. My LG had problem with Red which I was always trying to compensate for in the IREs and CMS'. This gives me a flater line and better color tracking for a more lifelike picture.
I then check it with a GREY SCALE RAMP test pattern.

Like p5browne said it takes a lot of time and patience, but so far it is worth it!

We had to go into the Service Menu and setup the White Balance to overcome the excesses and deficiencies that IREs and CMS couldn't properly compensate for. (Have since gotten into trouble about this, but dam, it's my set!)
post #2506 of 3040
The wife ordered ours today. They said Dec. 2nd, but who knows. QVC is usually good about shipping. I'm patient and on Vacation, so when it gets here i'll be chiming in. If it doesn't work out, the return policy is until Jan. 31.
post #2507 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post

The wife ordered ours today. They said Dec. 2nd, but who knows. QVC is usually good about shipping. I'm patient and on Vacation, so when it gets here i'll be chiming in. If it doesn't work out, the return policy is until Jan. 31.

Hope you have better luck with this one.
post #2508 of 3040
Very happy with the set so far. The picture is very similar to that of the LH90's, BUT the blacks are alot better and the blooming on axis is pretty much non existant. I am going to get the service remote and try other people's settings, I'll be sure to write down the factory white balance settings and the settings I have now just in case I don't like other people's settings.
post #2509 of 3040
Yes, write them down, especially the THX settings.
Also remember the WHITE BALANCE settings affect ALL MODES, not just the one you are on!
post #2510 of 3040
Just wondering, if you turn off your cable box or satellite box, and the LHX says no source, it blinks around the screen, will it eventually turn the set off, or will it stay on until you turn on a source? Looking for a way similar to auto shut-off?

I'm ordering the service remote today.
post #2511 of 3040
I just ordered my service remote, hopefully it's easy to change the values.
post #2512 of 3040
After fiddling with it for the past day or so, I've finally got some settings dialed in that I'm happy with for now. I can't say enough good things about this tv.

post #2513 of 3040
Wow, no matter what angle i put my computer screen, it's impossible to see the outline your television.
post #2514 of 3040
You know, the one thing I did love about LV9500 were the angles. So plasma-like. The brightness was also quite astonishing. Oh well, on to the next one.

Hey guys, does LHX come with Netflix and VUDU menus?
post #2515 of 3040
No, because it's not a smart tv and doesn't have an ethernet connection. It's a dumb tv and it's only 2D but the picture is awesome.
post #2516 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post

You know, the one thing I did love about LV9500 were the angles. So plasma-like. The brightness was also quite astonishing. Oh well, on to the next one.

Hey guys, does LHX come with Netflix and VUDU menus?

Check out some of the later BLU_RAY players that offer those APPS.
post #2517 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

Check out some of the later BLU_RAY players that offer those APPS.

Aw hell, next up.....................................Oppo bdp-93. I need a qdeo processor like I have on my LG BH-200. You know I thought there was something wrong with my PS3 during certain scenes. It wasn't the PS3's fault. It was the superior processor on my BH-200. The only problem is is that there is no netflix.
post #2518 of 3040
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post18950721 that was way back on 7/23/10 and that link is still good.

However, I never had a good grasp on how I (we) could carry out a bona fide factory calibration. (Which is tangentially related in a very distant way to the professional user calibration facility). My bias has been that a set should be operating within its nominal factory calibration settings in order for the UI professional controls to be truly effective in optimizing the set's performance and PQ.

Is this consistent with those of you (konica, p5browne) who have recently reported a marked improvement after doing a factory-cal white balance adjustment?

-nony
post #2519 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by nony View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post18950721 that was way back on 7/23/10 and that link is still good.

However, I never had a good grasp on how I (we) could carry out a bona fide factory calibration. (Which is tangentially related in a very distant way to the professional user calibration facility). My bias has been that a set should be operating within its nominal factory calibration settings in order for the UI professional controls to be truly effective in optimizing the set's performance and PQ.

Is this consistent with those of you (konica, p5browne) who have recently reported a marked improvement after doing a factory-cal white balance adjustment?

-nony

Unfortunately my adjustment is an eyeball adjustment without the use of calibration equipment and it has solved a problem with too much RED which I could see even on a BLACK & WHITE screen with the color level control off.
I could not filter it out using the standard IRE/CMS controls and p5browne found in the service manual these WHITE BALANCE controls so I wrote down all the originals to revert back if I messed it up. I put all my standard settings
IRE/CMS at 0 and started looking for a perfect black and white picture, very similar to how I used to setup the old color CRTs years ago. Then I turned the color up to about 48 and was wowed. This is not to say it is calibrating the set to isf standards at all, but it seems real good to me. Bear in mind the service manual states one color has to be at 192. I used the blue and green to get it black and white.
post #2520 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

Unfortunately my adjustment is an eyeball adjustment without the use of calibration equipment and it has solved a problem with too much RED which I could see even on a BLACK & WHITE screen with the color level control off.
I could not filter it out using the standard IRE/CMS controls and p5browne found in the service manual these WHITE BALANCE controls so I wrote down all the originals to revert back if I messed it up. I put all my standard settings
IRE/CMS at 0 and started looking for a perfect black and white picture, very similar to how I used to setup the old color CRTs years ago. Then I turned the color up to about 48 and was wowed. This is not to say it is calibrating the set to isf standards at all, but it seems real good to me. Bear in mind the service manual states one color has to be at 192. I used the blue and green to get it black and white.

About a thousand posts ago (scary), Scot Kight may have questioned that the UI controls should be able to accomplish the same thing, and I ducked on that but p5browne responded - here is the exchange:


http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1017 calibrating from the service menu (me)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1024 Scot
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1025 p5browne

From the OSD UI you can only go plus/minus 50 units (for RGB GAIN/CUT) but from service screen you can go from 0 to 255 and it behaves as a systemwide adjustment.

Plz correct if I'm wrong.

-nony
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › THE Official LG "55LHX" Owners Thread