or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › THE Official LG "55LHX" Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

THE Official LG "55LHX" Owners Thread - Page 87

post #2581 of 3041
Let's bring some color in...











Alright I'm done.... for now! I'll post something for the gamers tonight or tomorrow.
post #2582 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjames1700 View Post

Konica,

Out of curiousity, what areas does the LHX blow the 9500 away? I realize the picture will be better if there is a lot of ambient light in the room because of the LHX's matte screen but, in a light controlled environment is there still that much difference? Keep in mind, my 9500 just has some basic picture tweaks and I don't plan on having it calibrated. So when comparing the basic out of box settings, how do the two set compare?

I have to say that I forgot to say in my post, it was in my opinion. Having both sets, both in the same room under the same lighting conditions, that my wife and I, also friends that have visited enjoy the picture on the LHX more.
I never sent my 9500 back because it has a great picture and it has 3D.
The LHX seems to me to have a bit more detail in the picture with a more lifelike image. In a darkened room you can fight over which one is better, but I live in the real world with lights and the LHX shines. Even when the two are off the LHX looks better, maybe it is my brain doing something or I am too used to the matte screen.
Had some friends of mine over the other evening and with the iScan Duo I can switch the outputs from my Blu-Ray player or Direct TV from one TV to the other which I did. They also agreed the LHX shines. One is great, the other is awesome Bear in mind this was in a normally lit room.
Look at the pictures above this post!
post #2583 of 3041
First pic is one someone took of the new Sharp 80" tv, and the 2nd is my pic from my LHX that I posted earlier. I originally thought the picture was of an Elite, but I'll keep the comparison on here anyway I guess.



post #2584 of 3041
Picture Reset Expert 1 & 2 and THX. Manually put THX IREs and CMS back to Zeroes. (They don't go there on a Picture Reset.) Excepting for the IREs and CMSs now being Zeroes, all settings are now back to the Original, Original settings, including White Balance. Watched Mel Brook's Young Frankenstein Blu-ray tonight that was filmed entirely in B&W. The result from resetting back to Original, Originals, excepting the IREs and CMS, was that there was only B&W, no other colourizations. Two other exceptions made while watching in THX Mode from Picture Reset: Brightness reduced from Reset Value of 55, to 52. Colour Reset Value of 50 to 42. One thing we have noticed when calibrating, or reseting values: when finished, turn the set off for a short time, then turn back on. This resets the PQ to look like what it should be with the new changes.
post #2585 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

First pic is one someone took of the Sharp Elite, the 2nd is my pic from my LHX that I posted earlier.




C'mon Slickman, that 1st picture isn't from an elite, it's from the NEW Sharp 80"
post #2586 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

I have to say that I forgot to say in my post, it was in my opinion. Having both sets, both in the same room under the same lighting conditions, that my wife and I, also friends that have visited enjoy the picture on the LHX more.
I never sent my 9500 back because it has a great picture and it has 3D.
The LHX seems to me to have a bit more detail in the picture with a more lifelike image. In a darkened room you can fight over which one is better, but I live in the real world with lights and the LHX shines. Even when the two are off the LHX looks better, maybe it is my brain doing something or I am too used to the matte screen.
Had some friends of mine over the other evening and with the iScan Duo I can switch the outputs from my Blu-Ray player or Direct TV from one TV to the other which I did. They also agreed the LHX shines. One is great, the other is awesome Bear in mind this was in a normally lit room.
Look at the pictures above this post!

Thank for the honest opinion. I can understand how the picture of the lhx would be better in a brighter room due to the screen, heck my vt20 was better during the day than my 9500. That said, I do most of my viewing in the evening with the lights down or off and the 9500 is better in that environment than the vt was, imo. I would like to see a lhx in action someday though.
post #2587 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 View Post

C'mon Slickman, that 1st picture isn't from an elite, it's from the NEW Sharp 80"

I see now, I thought he was saying he had an Elite. Either way it would be close anyway, plus the LHX actually displays cyan as cyan and not blue.
post #2588 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post


I see now, I thought he was saying he had an Elite. Either way it would be close anyway, plus the LHX actually displays cyan as cyan and not blue.

Slickman, you're better than that. Don't get caught up in the bashing of other sets that has been happening in this thread. Enjoy your set.
post #2589 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 View Post

Slickman, you're better than that. Don't get caught up in the bashing of other sets that has been happening in this thread. Enjoy your set.

You're right, I only bash it because I can't afford it.
post #2590 of 3041
As promised, some more pics for the gamers and that'll do it. Here's a little of Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, I want to reiterate that there's much more shadow detail in real life, my camera isn't showing all of it. Cheers!











post #2591 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

As promised, some more pics for the gamers and that'll do it. Here's a little of Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, I want to reiterate that there's much more shadow detail in real life, my camera isn't showing all of it. Cheers!

You should see the poor guys posting pictures of their LW980s on the European site. From what I can see the 96 zones is not cable of producing much of a shadow. They also are displaying photos with horrible bands worse than the LX9500.
post #2592 of 3041
A reviewer on Newegg said

'The TV is not truely 1920x1080 (1080p) displayable resolution. It would be if there was no bezel, but there's about 20-50 pixels hidden under the bezel.'

Is this correct? I don't recall hearing this before.

I have a 55LE8500 with moderate banding. LG are switching the panel - but I doubt it will make much difference. If it didn't have the banding it would be perfect.

The 55LHX on Newegg is tempting.....
post #2593 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

A reviewer on Newegg said

'The TV is not truely 1920x1080 (1080p) displayable resolution. It would be if there was no bezel, but there's about 20-50 pixels hidden under the bezel.'

Is this correct? I don't recall hearing this before.

I have a 55LE8500 with moderate banding. LG are switching the panel - but I doubt it will make much difference. If it didn't have the banding it would be perfect.

The 55LHX on Newegg is tempting.....

Nope , not true, he must have cinema zoom on or something.
post #2594 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

A reviewer on Newegg said

'The TV is not truely 1920x1080 (1080p) displayable resolution. It would be if there was no bezel, but there's about 20-50 pixels hidden under the bezel.'

Is this correct? I don't recall hearing this before.

I have a 55LE8500 with moderate banding. LG are switching the panel - but I doubt it will make much difference. If it didn't have the banding it would be perfect.

The 55LHX on Newegg is tempting.....


That person is a total idiot and doesn't know jack from sh---t. LG was one of the first companies to ever have 1:1 pixel mapping. Apparently he didn't have it on Just Scan.
post #2595 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post

That person is a total idiot and doesn't know jack from sh---t. LG was one of the first companies to ever have 1:1 pixel mapping. Apparently he didn't have it on Just Scan.

OK makes sense.

I have my 55LE8500 on 'just scan'.
post #2596 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

OK makes sense.

I have my 55LE8500 on 'just scan'.

As I recall, someone was claiming that the bezel/frame was physically overlapping the edges of the active display area. I didn't think it was a real world issue, and more likely, he incorrectly concluded that the pixels were hidden as a result of the cropping that he observed (which would have been corrected if he was in just scan mode), as Dianabol5mg has just indicated. (I had to work that through).

-nony
post #2597 of 3041
Updated - these are for my 55LHX and should only be used for reference:

Charly's 55LHX: November 10, 2011
ChromaPure (LG LED Setting) & Chroma5 Standard OEM Meter

Backlight: 44
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 45
H Sharp: 60
V Sharp: 52
Colour: 40 (PixelProtector) 46 S&M
Tint: 0
Gamma: Low
Luminance: 162
SM:White Balance:/Warm
RG:/159
GG:/192
BG:/49
RC:/64
GC:/63
BC:/63
IREs:
100:R2,G0,B-10
90:R6,G3,B-16
80:R7,G0,B-17
70:R6,G0,B-14
60:R7,G0,B-12
50:R8,G0,B-10
40:R6,G0,B-8
30:R4,G0,B-6
20:R3,G0,B-4
10:R3,G0,B-10
CMS: .(Not done at this sitting)
Red Colour:0
Red Tint: 0
Green Colour: 0
Green Tint: 0
Blue Colour: 0
Blue Tint: 0
Yellow Colour: 0
Yellow Tint: 0
Cyan Colour: 0
Cyan Tint: 0
Magenta Color: 0
Magenta Tint: 0

SM - Service Menu
Note: On my set, just a hint of Green.
post #2598 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Tom Huffman has come out in front now with his new ChromaPure Calibration software. It has the LG Standard and LED calibration settings to give more accuracy to calibrating our LGs! Below is my first calibration settings using this new software. (A reminder - my set, my conditions - may look good on some, not others.) (IScan Duo was used as the Pattern Choice - but only the 55LHX was calibrated.)

Charly's 55LHX: November 7, 2011
ChromaPure (LG LED Setting) & Chroma5 Standard OEM Meter

Backlight: 44
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 45
H Sharp: 60
V Sharp: 52
Colour: 40 (PixelProtector) 46 (S&M)
Tint: 0
Gamma: Low
Luminance: 162
SM:White Balance:/Warm
RG:/163
GG:/194
BG:/43
RC:/63
GC:/62
BC:/63
IREs:
100:R0,G-4,B0
90:R6,G2,B-4
80:R8,G6,B0
70:R8,G6,B-2
60:R8,G8,B4
50:R10,G4,B0
40:R8,G5,B2
30:R6,G1,B-2
20:R5,G2,B2
10:R2,G0,B-1
CMS: .(Not done at this sitting)
Red Colour:0
Red Tint: 0
Green Colour: 0
Green Tint: 0
Blue Colour: 0
Blue Tint: 0
Yellow Colour: 0
Yellow Tint: 0
Cyan Colour: 0
Cyan Tint: 0
Magenta Color: 0
Magenta Tint: 0

SM - Service Menu
Note: On my set, just a hint of Green.

About the Gamma on low, I know I've read before that setting it to low allows you to get more detail in the blacks but doesn't it wash out the rest of the picture? I tried it on my 9500 the other night and it seemed like the rest of the picture washed out, even after compensated the brightness setting... i.e. lowering it.
post #2599 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjames1700 View Post

About the Gamma on low, I know I've read before that setting it to low allows you to get more detail in the blacks but doesn't it wash out the rest of the picture? I tried it on my 9500 the other night and it seemed like the rest of the picture washed out, even after compensated the brightness setting... i.e. lowering it.

That's why I used the medium setting. With low you do get more shadow detail, but I like the deeper look to the colors that medium gives you. You guys are welcome to try my settings, they look very very good on my set. May not look as good on other sets but it's worth a try.
post #2600 of 3041
When doing Gamma testing - the setting that gives you the closest to the 2.2 is your ideal. On the LG 55LH90 - Medium is the ideal. On the 55LHX Low.
I've found you have to get the exact correct White Balance settings, to give you the most ideal results. The White Balance is hidden in the Service Menu, where the average person without a Service Remote, can't get to adjust. So all the years I spent trying to calibrate all my sets, were in vain due to the calibration trying to compensate for White Balance settings that were wrong! Plus, none of the calibration software was designed for the differences in the LG TV sets. Thankyou Tom Huffman for finally giving us the means now to calibrate the LGs. (Still don't see the availability for any other brands other than Sony and Samsung - doing any other brand is a compromise, and may not bring out the best of those sets. So, the specs may look right, but the overall appearance may not!)
Taking Calman and my various meters to the Chromapure final settings: not even close!
post #2601 of 3041
LHX arrived today. Unbelievable, being that it's still "in process". My wife called me today and goes, "hey, your tv is on the way." I was at a job interview(just testing waters), and I was like, "damn i don't even care how this interview goes." Tonight is going to rock and it's almost beer '30. I am on vacation and didn't think it would get here throughout my vacation. I go back to work on Tuesday, so I have plenty of time to spend with this sucker. I'll put up pics when I can. Here's what's going on so far. I have no service remote, yet. So right now i'm just trying to dial it in for Directv. Tonight i'll do the same for Blu-ray. I'm going through the box wired. I did find some hesitation with wireless and the box was right next to the tv. So wish me luck.
I'll put up pics when I can, but are there any settings I can use right now that don't need service remote?

And another thing, I asked a question last week about where people think the LHX's are being stored and no one answered. They are coming out of Miami. I have no clue how it got here so fast. We ordered it Halloween night.
post #2602 of 3041
I did another calibration this time starting with low gamma, and I like the results. I'm getting a bit more shadow detail now.
post #2603 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

I did another calibration this time starting with low gamma, and I like the results. I'm getting a bit more shadow detail now.

Please post,
post #2604 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post

LHX arrived today. Unbelievable, being that it's still "in process". My wife called me today and goes, "hey, your tv is on the way." I was at a job interview(just testing waters), and I was like, "damn i don't even care how this interview goes." Tonight is going to rock and it's almost beer '30. I am on vacation and didn't think it would get here throughout my vacation. I go back to work on Tuesday, so I have plenty of time to spend with this sucker. I'll put up pics when I can. Here's what's going on so far. I have no service remote, yet. So right now i'm just trying to dial it in for Directv. Tonight i'll do the same for Blu-ray. I'm going through the box wired. I did find some hesitation with wireless and the box was right next to the tv. So wish me luck.
I'll put up pics when I can, but are there any settings I can use right now that don't need service remote?

And another thing, I asked a question last week about where people think the LHX's are being stored and no one answered. They are coming out of Miami. I have no clue how it got here so fast. We ordered it Halloween night.

Theaterchad used mine without the service remote and was happy.
Noone can say for sure which ones will work right for you.
P5brownes last settings looked terrible on my set.
Slickman has some nice looking 2pt settings to start with.
Just remember to write down the originals so you can go back to them.
The Reset does not always come up with LG's settings.
Congrats
post #2605 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

Please post,

With the settings, I tried to make it so I'm getting more shadow detail but not washing out the picture in the process. Here they are, remember I'm not using any calibration equipment, just calibration discs and playing it by eye.

Backlight: 65
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 52
H Sharp: 60
V Sharp: 50
Colour: 50
Tint: 0
Gamma: Low
White Balance: Warm
2 Point IRE:
RC -3
GC -14
BC -16
RB -14
GB -35
BB -36

CMS:
Red Colour: -7
Red Tint: -6
Green Colour: 0
Green Tint: 3
Blue Colour: 0
Blue Tint: -4
Yellow Colour: -3
Yellow Tint: 6
Cyan Colour: 0
Cyan Tint: 2
Magenta Color: -2
Magenta Tint: 0

Stock Service Menu Warm White Balance

RG 192
GG 149
BG 96
RC 64
GC 63
BC 64
post #2606 of 3041
I would have uploaded sooner but imageshack won't upload my pics for some reason now, it shows they uploaded then when it goes to the album they aren't there, I had to use photobucket. I really need a camera with a high dynamic range, as right now it's either display the whites right or display the blacks right, and I choose the whites. These are with my new settings. I wasn't hanging out in the woods with people with guns, that is the movie Predators on my LHX. :P











post #2607 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

Theaterchad used mine without the service remote and was happy.
Noone can say for sure which ones will work right for you.
P5brownes last settings looked terrible on my set.
Slickman has some nice looking 2pt settings to start with.
Just remember to write down the originals so you can go back to them.
The Reset does not always come up with LG's settings.
Congrats

I've come to the conclusion that p5brownes white balance values were changed, and he then forgot these were changed, and he then tried all the different calibrations with the white balance totally wrong, that's why when konnica tried brownes settings it looked terrible on konnicas set, also shows that slickaman's settings on my set look great!, I've come to the point that it really should not matter who uses whos' settings....

When I've been using konnica's settings that were slightly modified from p5brownes, and since my white balance values were never changed, my picture was great, same with me using Slickmans settings,

I guess what I' wondering, and slickman could elaborate with his tinkering, is there really a world of difference of changing the white balance settings with the service remote from the stock values, is there that much of a drastic difference to even change these values?
post #2608 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

I've come to the conclusion that p5brownes white balance values were changed, and he then forgot these were changed, and he then tried all the different calibrations with the white balance totally wrong, that's why when konnica tried brownes settings it looked terrible on konnicas set, also shows that slickaman's settings on my set look great!, I've come to the point that it really should not matter who uses whos' settings....

When I've been using konnica's settings that were slightly modified from p5brownes, and since my white balance values were never changed, my picture was great, same with me using Slickmans settings,

I guess what I' wondering, and slickman could elaborate with his tinkering, is there really a world of difference of changing the white balance settings with the service remote from the stock values, is there that much of a drastic difference to even change these values?

I thought everyone understood me as I have posted many times, The white balance settings are for black and white only. I also said that in order for the color settings to look proper you should have a good black and white background. My background with my original settings was redish so I had to change it to remove the red tinge I had. If I put in a test disc I could see red in the grey ramp areas. With new settings it is not red. When some programs like NCIS fade to black and white, MY set looks black and white now. This is why I told everyone to turn the color OFF to test for this first. I told you to do this before ordering the service remote as you may not have the problem I had.
If you check Slickman's postings, I do not think he has changed his white balance settings at all....Ed


Bottom line is...tranfering settings rarely if ever works from one set to another.
post #2609 of 3041
I had to change my White Balances because the Blues were way too high! (Readings put the K reading for Warm, more on the level of Medium.) But now, as the set has gotten older, the problem is now with Green. ISF Calibration, Calman calibrations, and now ChromaPure is leaving me with Green tinges. Trying to find a balance between all these. The ISF Calibration left my White Balance Blue Gain at 24, and the Blue Cut at 52 - Everything was Green except the THX Mode that was calibrated, and even then, turning the Colour down to Zero, left me with a Greenish B&W. Konica's settings look great, but as the set warms up it keeps getting brighter and I have to keep turning down the BL. (So anyone using my settings may find a Green result - and St Patrick's day isn't until next year yet.)
post #2610 of 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

I thought everyone understood me as I have posted many times, The white balance settings are for black and white only. I also said that in order for the color settings to look proper you should have a good black and white background. My background with my original settings was redish so I had to change it to remove the red tinge I had. If I put in a test disc I could see red in the grey ramp areas. With new settings it is not red. When some programs like NCIS fade to black and white, MY set looks black and white now. This is why I told everyone to turn the color OFF to test for this first. I told you to do this before ordering the service remote as you may not have the problem I had.
If you check Slickman's postings, I do not think he has changed his white balance settings at all....Ed


Bottom line is...tranfering settings rarely if ever works from one set to another.

Sorry Staff Sargent, I guess I did not understand.......

Well for how much back and forth has been going on for several months with calibrations, it's hard to keep up on what's, what, and it's been a little confusing, especially when most of this calibration stuff is mostly being done by you and p5browne, no one else has any equipment, only test disks, and then we react to your postings.....

So how about this:
To your last statement of transfering settings: Sorry, but any of us that did not change our white balance settings, CAN USE ANYONE'S SETTINGS!

Only the people that changed the white balance values are having the issue...

I've used 4, or 5 peoples settings, and they all work just fine, and look awesome, since I never touched my white balance settings...........
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › THE Official LG "55LHX" Owners Thread