or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › THE Official LG "55LHX" Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

THE Official LG "55LHX" Owners Thread - Page 93

post #2761 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post


I have a problem with this statement. I have blooming from angles, which all LED's do. I also have Black levels second to none. TruMotion is worthless, but i've discovered that the processor on LHX is awesome, especially when paired up with a great bluray player. By far is stating that the Elite is worth the $3000 more. I'm bettin' its not. That's why I want an unbiased opinion of someone who's owned both or calibrated both.

Read the CNET review, the Elite recieved 4.5 stars. The home theater world is small, while the LHX is a fine set if it was an Elite killer everyone would own one.

Every professional review has stated the Elite has better black levels and contrast than any set plasma or LED, one stated it was the best display on the planet.

I am not an Elite fanboy and do not think it is 3k better than several displays, it is however clearly better than all current displays made.

The LHX is an outdated set which does not display 3D. The future is 3D and CES next month will show us where 2012 will take us.

If you want the current best the Elite is it and is cost a boat load. I am confident that something in 2012 will surpass the Elite and would never spend top dollar for a set at the end of the year when the new models are around the corner.
post #2762 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by videkid View Post

Read the CNET review, the Elite recieved 4.5 stars. The home theater world is small, while the LHX is a fine set if it was an Elite killer everyone would own one.

Every professional review has stated the Elite has better black levels and contrast than any set plasma or LED, one stated it was the best display on the planet.

This is simply not true. Chad B has not reviewed an Elite, yet. The only reason no one talks about LHX is because they don't want to buy one to test it. These professional reviewers don't want to pay for a review, so they won't go out of their way to actually review the television. I can tell you right now, you are comparing your LV9500 to the Elite because you think LHX is a lot like it. It's not, i've owned both. LHX black levels are otherworldly. It doesn't get no blacker. The only thing I will say is I wish there was a separate blur and dejudder control like on LV9500. With it, I think LHX would give the 60" Elite a run for its money. Another thing I will state is I have one complaint with LHX and that is off angle viewing. From what I know, Elite is much better. Straight on or a little off center and LHX is gold. I do appreciate the chat, though. It's been slow around here.
post #2763 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post


This is simply not true. Chad B has not reviewed an Elite, yet. The only reason no one talks about LHX is because they don't want to buy one to test it. These professional reviewers don't want to pay for a review, so they won't go out of their way to actually review the television. I can tell you right now, you are comparing your LV9500 to the Elite because you think LHX is a lot like it. It's not, i've owned both. LHX black levels are otherworldly. It doesn't get no blacker. The only thing I will say is I wish there was a separate blur and dejudder control like on LV9500. With it, I think LHX would give the 60" Elite a run for its money. Another thing I will state is I have one complaint with LHX and that is off angle viewing. From what I know, Elite is much better. Straight on or a little off center and LHX is gold. I do appreciate the chat, though. It's been slow around here.

Keep Dreaming : ) , the truth is you guys are so brainwashed about this TV that the same four people take turns going on hear and telling echother how great it is.

The truth is for anyone who may wants to watch 3D and wants to be part of the future, avoid this TV.

Chad B. wrote a review that is 2 years old, it is the past just like the Pioneer Elite.

People should stop spending 2K to go into the past, several current sets offer 3D, better picture quality and much improved internet applications than a 3 year old model that can be picked up used for $900.00.
post #2764 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by videkid View Post


Keep Dreaming : ) , the truth is you guys are so brainwashed about this TV that the same four people take turns going on hear and telling echother how great it is.

The truth is for anyone who may wants to watch 3D and wants to be part of the future, avoid this TV.

Chad B. wrote a review that is 2 years old, it is the past just like the Pioneer Elite.

People should stop spending 2K to go into the past, several current sets offer 3D, better picture quality and much improved internet applications than a 3 year old model that can be picked up used for $900.00.

I have seen the LHX, it is not or will never be close to an Elite. You same four will be telling everyone this set beats OLED soon. Lol

Every LHX I have seen has had DSE, you cannot turn the lights off or close the blinds to hide from it, its always there along with blooming as bad as any.
post #2765 of 3040
Get off your 3D high horse. We don't care for 3D, only PQ. That was the simple reason for buying this set. Oh by the way, next up for myself will be Sammy B8500. Im going to stay in the past.......better televisions.

P.S. there may be 4 of us(because we are the most recent purchasers), but we're not complaining. Go hit up some threads of whiners and returners. they're all over this board including those of the Elite.

As far as OLED......i'm waiting for it. If it's anything like my phone, i'll be locking myself away for a while. You are right about one thing. There is no sense blowing 5K on an LED/LCD when OLED is so close. LG might be the 1st this year.
post #2766 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post

Get off your 3D high horse. We don't care for 3D, only PQ. That was the simple reason for buying this set. Oh by the way, next up for myself will be Sammy B8500. Im going to stay in the past.......better televisions.

P.S. there may be 4 of us(because we are the most recent purchasers), but we're not complaining. Go hit up some threads of whiners and returners. they're all over this board including those of the Elite.

As far as OLED......i'm waiting for it. If it's anything like my phone, i'll be locking myself away for a while. You are right about one thing. There is no sense blowing 5K on an LED/LCD when OLED is so close. LG might be the 1st this year.

The Elite is the best 2D LED ever made. 3D is the future, those who might want to enjoy 3D one day should not spend 2K on a set that will never display 3D, that's just common sense.
post #2767 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by videkid View Post

The Elite is the best 2D LED ever made. 3D is the future, those who might want to enjoy 3D one day should not spend 2K on a set that will never display 3D, that's just common sense.

Well, you can have you opinion, we all have one !!!! I don't why someone would say any merrits to 3D, since it's nothing but a marketing gimic, and your eyes will be screwed up after watching it for a long time......

I gave an Elite a major go through at my local BB, with making some calibration adjustments, using a few reference blu-rays, and test patterns, the only slight margin the Elite has is it's glossy screen for better contrast, to overall better image, if Airgas1998 had gone through buying both sizes of Elites and now is back here, this should tell you something....

They must have lowered the Elites level of standards of they released the set they did with it's DES alone, as this level of set should not exibit any DSE, this tells everyone that DSE is a major part of the manufacturing of these set's.....

So overall, the Elite is nice, but not three times the price of any model of set, in the end every set is rated on its performance vs its cost, and even though the Elite edges out the LHX ( very small margin ), it does NOT at three times its price!

The only real element here that the LHX would have been the set to beat, it did not get the exposure as did the Elite, Chad B rated this set even with the Pioneer Elite Kuro, so I know this game would have been different if this was a major selling / marketing point, or even way more exposure that it did.
post #2768 of 3040
I have seen both Elites and I was very impressed with the Blacks, but the settings I saw the blacks were very crushed, little to no detail. I can set my LHX to do the same thing.
CES should be called Fantasyland because 80% of the new tech never comes to light.
I have been there the last 12 years and have seen very little materialize.
OLED is years away, you must be dreaming! Add to that, the price....
post #2769 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

Well, you can have you opinion, we all have one !!!! I don't why someone would say any merrits to 3D, since it's nothing but a marketing gimic, and your eyes will be screwed up after watching it for a long time......

I gave an Elite a major go through at my local BB, with making some calibration adjustments, using a few reference blu-rays, and test patterns, the only slight margin the Elite has is it's glossy screen for better contrast, to overall better image, if Airgas1998 had gone through buying both sizes of Elites and now is back here, this should tell you something....

They must have lowered the Elites level of standards of they released the set they did with it's DES alone, as this level of set should not exibit any DSE, this tells everyone that DSE is a major part of the manufacturing of these set's.....

So overall, the Elite is nice, but not three times the price of any model of set, in the end every set is rated on its performance vs its cost, and even though the Elite edges out the LHX ( very small margin ), it does NOT at three times its price!

The only real element here that the LHX would have been the set to beat, it did not get the exposure as did the Elite, Chad B rated this set even with the Pioneer Elite Kuro, so I know this game would have been different if this was a major selling / marketing point, or even way more exposure that it did.


so correct, if the lhx did not exhibit dse it would be my first choice in a heartbeat. this is the only issue that i ever had with this set. i can not say that about any other set that i have had in the past year or so. the elite is way overpriced for it's performance. yes it has better bl and better contrast, but that is it. it is not leaps and bounds better however. it is a revolution and not a evolution.
post #2770 of 3040
Don't get me wrong, I did like the Elite, but it's the same thing as my Audio / Speakers, my four Klipsch RF-7-II's sound so nice, not as good as something that's three times it's price, but sound good enough for me, as well as my neighbors hearing me play Kings Of Leon Live on Blu-ray at very very loud volume levels LOL!

Airgas:

From reading the last few people on here that bought a set from QVC, they seem extremely happy, Slickman, Dianabol5mg, and maybe another name I can't remember, are you considering getting an LHX, or are you staying with your Elites?

I think maybe we could get several people in line, and go to QVC and play " let's make a deal, if the price is right "
post #2771 of 3040
First 55LHX came through CP, the second from Tiger Direct. (Both Nov 09 sets)
After finally paying skads of money to an ISF Pro Calibrator, I ended up with a Green 55LHX in one room , and a Golden 55LHX in the other! Finally gave up calibrating with the Chroma5s, and now paid more attention to using my i1pro and the new Calman. The result far surpasses any previous calibrations on both 55LHXs. I knew these sets had it in them - I'm finally got a calibration that is dead on the money, and defintely looks better than any other set I've seen! This set has finally got me off my buying TVs habbit! It is absolutely fabulous! (And it only took 2 years to figure out the secret to calibrating it!)
Now, maybe I'd better take a look at the 55LV9500 that he also calibrated - maybe it can look better also?
post #2772 of 3040
Hey Chad, maybe you can compare your Klipschs' to my 4 KLF20's
I will check out that King of Leon Blu-Ray.
post #2773 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

Hey Chad, maybe you can compare your Klipschs' to my 4 KLF20's
I will check out that King of Leon Blu-Ray.

KLF20's are beautiful speakers! I started with KG 5.5's, then upgraded to the RF-7 II's, basically the more up to date version of the KLF20....

I have two sets of RF7's, front pair and rear pair RS52 effect speakers, one RW-12D powered sub, and one KLF-C7 center speaker, so I guess I may be artificial to Klipsch....

I LOVE Kings of Leon Live on Blu-Ray, it's like I'm right there, without all the spilt beer on me, with everyone jumping around, and getting trampled, but I can't seem to keep the volume down enough, the concert sounds just spectacular!

OK, my set was reset to factory defaults, and I changed my white balance values to the same as p5browne and Slickmans, I set my expert1 settings to Slickmans last 2 point settings, and it looks just Awesome!
post #2774 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

KLF20's are beautiful speakers! I started with KG 5.5's, then upgraded to the RF-7 II's, basically the more up to date version of the KLF20....

I have two sets of RF7's, front pair and rear pair RS52 effect speakers, one RW-12D powered sub, and one KLF-C7 center speaker, so I guess I may be artificial to Klipsch....

I LOVE Kings of Leon Live on Blu-Ray, it's like I'm right there, without all the spilt beer on me, with everyone jumping around, and getting trampled, but I can't seem to keep the volume down enough, the concert sounds just spectacular!

OK, my set was reset to factory defaults, and I changed my white balance values to the same as p5browne and Slickmans, I set my expert1 settings to Slickmans last 2 point settings, and it looks just Awesome!

Good stuff man, I'm glad you like the settings. Everytime I fire up a Blu-ray I am amazed all over again.
post #2775 of 3040
What's the off-axis viewing characteristic of the LHX? I quickly checked out a Sharp Elite yesterday and could see a decrease in brightness at about 20 degrees off center. I'm used to the wider angles of plasma displays, and wonder if the LHX is better, worse, or about the same as the LHX.

Thanks,
Tony
post #2776 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadziedzic View Post

What's the off-axis viewing characteristic of the LHX? I quickly checked out a Sharp Elite yesterday and could see a decrease in brightness at about 20 degrees off center. I'm used to the wider angles of plasma displays, and wonder if the LHX is better, worse, or about the same as the LHX.

Thanks,
Tony

The ips panel that the LHX uses is rated to be the best for off-angle viewing in LCDs. But Plasma is better. I feel my set is good up to 45 degress off center with no degraduation in picture quality.
post #2777 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

First 55LHX came through CP, the second from Tiger Direct. (Both Nov 09 sets)
After finally paying skads of money to an ISF Pro Calibrator, I ended up with a Green 55LHX in one room , and a Golden 55LHX in the other! Finally gave up calibrating with the Chroma5s, and now paid more attention to using my i1pro and the new Calman. The result far surpasses any previous calibrations on both 55LHXs. I knew these sets had it in them - I'm finally got a calibration that is dead on the money, and defintely looks better than any other set I've seen! This set has finally got me off my buying TVs habbit! It is absolutely fabulous! (And it only took 2 years to figure out the secret to calibrating it!)
Now, maybe I'd better take a look at the 55LV9500 that he also calibrated - maybe it can look better also?

Have you posted the new ones yet?
post #2778 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoman504 View Post

Have you posted the new ones yet?

Pg 90 - Posting #2700

You have 4 choices - one per set done by the ISF Pro Calibrator, and one per set that I've done with the i1Pro and the latest Calman. Here's 2 different sets with different attributes, and corresponding calibrations. My set tended towards Green, my wife's towards Golden.
Then again, there's Konica's which tends towards Red. (Sorry, he's too far away to drop over on a weekend to calibrate.)
3 - 55LHXs - 3 different calibrations and attributes. Then there's the environment to take into account. Mine is a darker room, with dark walls. My wife's, about medium with light walls. Konica's environment includes alot more windows than either my wife's or mine. We also do most of our viewing in the evening.

Now re-calibrated, and my 55LHX new settings as of Dec 23. Merry Christmas!
On doing the Fine Tuning, forgot to turn off the LD. New calibrations done with the LD now turned off. (Yes, the LD is turned back on after.)
post #2779 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Pg 90 - Posting #2700

It is amazing how differant the settings are both calibrated with the same equipment by the same person.
Just proves once again that it is a million to one shot they will work for someone else.
post #2780 of 3040
Still very satisfied with my purchase, no complaints here.
post #2781 of 3040
Compared my 55LHX, my wife's and the new 55LV9500 panels: Left, Left of Middle, Middle, Right of Middle, and Right. 100IRE on Expert 1 with outside Pattern Generator using 100% White. Have found the Left Panel on my 55LHX the Best to calibrate. Middle for the 55LV9500. Did the left side of my wife's 55LHX, and it didn't look as good as mine after the calibration. Going to try the Right Hand Panel next time she's away. All Expert 1 IREs and CMS were at Zero.


My 55LHX: Left/ Left Middle/ Middle/ Right Middle/ Right
R: -5/ 1/ -3/ -3/ -5
G: 1/ -1/ 1/ 0/ 1
B: -2/ 5/ 3/ 4/ 5
Sandra's:
R: -2/ 0/ 1/ -1/ -1
G: 1/ 1/ 0/ 1/ 1/
B: -5/ -5/ -6/ -4/ -9/
55LV9500:
R: 0/ 0.5/ 0.5/ 0/ 2
G: 0/ -0.5/ -0.5/ 0/ 0
B: 0.5/ -2/ -1/ -1/ -5

The 55LV9500 is a lot closer in values than either of the 55LHXs. But then again, it's also newer.
post #2782 of 3040
My last settings were perfect on my set, but I needed a little more shadow detail so I tweaked it and made sure everything else stayed the same but now with more shadow detail. My full settings are here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2699

Enjoy!
post #2783 of 3040
I snapped a few pics with what I like to call my V10 settings. Like someone else said before, no one does color like LG.











post #2784 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

My last settings were perfect on my set, but I needed a little more shadow detail so I tweaked it and made sure everything else stayed the same but now with more shadow detail. My full settings are here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2699

Enjoy!

Thanks for putting your settings up and nice pictures as well. I plugged in your settings last night and think they look pretty good. Not sure if the skin tones are a little too warm or not. But I don't have a service remote so the those are off limits to me. Are you saying you changed your values or have just left those at the factory settings?
post #2785 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmatron View Post

Thanks for putting your settings up and nice pictures as well. I plugged in your settings last night and think they look pretty good. Not sure if the skin tones are a little too warm or not. But I don't have a service remote so the those are off limits to me. Are you saying you changed your values or have just left those at the factory settings?

I changed my white balance values in the service menu. Also, I updated my settings earlier today so they aren't exactly the same as they were last night. I made some final slight tweaks this morning.
post #2786 of 3040
All the LGs are too Cool with the Blue elevated:
Note the following: My Original SM BG was 107, My wife's 101. Now see where the calibrated settings are:
My 55LHX - ISF Calibrated 24, My i1Pro Calibration 60
Wife's 55LHX: - ISF Calibrated 50, My i1Pro Calibration 67
55LV9500 - ISF Calibrated 90, My i1Pro Calibration 66
Quite a drop from the Original Vales that came with the set. As you drop down in value, you'll get used to the new look! After that, go into any Retail Store - First thing you'll notice is how Neonish the sets there look now, once you realize what they're doing to the PQ to attract you attention. Local Audio Video store has the Sharp Elites turned up so much, you need sunglasses to enter!
post #2787 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

All the LGs are too Cool with the Blue elevated:
Note the following: My Original SM BG was 107, My wife's 101. Now see where the calibrated settings are:
My 55LHX - ISF Calibrated 24, My i1Pro Calibration 60
Wife's 55LHX: - ISF Calibrated 50, My i1Pro Calibration 67
55LV9500 - ISF Calibrated 90, My i1Pro Calibration 66
Quite a drop from the Original Vales that came with the set. As you drop down in value, you'll get used to the new look! After that, go into any Retail Store - First thing you'll notice is how Neonish the sets there look now, once you realize what they're doing to the PQ to attract you attention. Local Audio Video store has the Sharp Elites turned up so much, you need sunglasses to enter!

I agree most calibrations are too blue, but I also believe whites should still be WHITE! I like a warm picture, but find I have to keep the BG at at least 90+ or else white turn way too green or reddish, which is just as unnatural IMO.
post #2788 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoman504 View Post

I agree most calibrations are too blue, but I also believe whites should still be WHITE! I like a warm picture, but find I have to keep the BG at at least 90+ or else white turn way too green or reddish, which is just as unnatural IMO.

Have you tried my settings? My whites look perfect on my set.
post #2789 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoman504 View Post

I agree most calibrations are too blue, but I also believe whites should still be WHITE! I like a warm picture, but find I have to keep the BG at at least 90+ or else white turn way too green or reddish, which is just as unnatural IMO.

Spent 2 years trying to calibrate this beast. Result - Yellow haze, too Warm Whites, and as the set aged, started towards Green. Told it was the way it was supposed to look! No thanks guys. Found that you should NOT calibrate the LGs with Chroma5 meters - i1Pro only! Also came up with the theory of finding the area of the 55LHX Panel having the Lowest Blue levels, and calibrating there. (See above Panel testing findings.) Results - dead on the specs, nary a Warm nor Green White anywhere. Just Drop Dead Gorgeous! There's no replacement TV for this 55LHX in the near future. I knew it had it in it, just had to find where - and the ISF Pro Calibrator ($975 for 3 sets!) definitely didn't find it on any of my sets! Came somewhat close on the 55LV9500, but way off the mark on the 55LHX!
(Of course it didn't help that LG was way off the mark on the White Balance - thank goodness I finally got the Service Remote! Got s__t for going into the Service Menu by a leading calibration company.)
post #2790 of 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoman504 View Post

I agree most calibrations are too blue, but I also believe whites should still be WHITE! I like a warm picture, but find I have to keep the BG at at least 90+ or else white turn way too green or reddish, which is just as unnatural IMO.

I agree with you, found my BG at 94 perfect for my set. Any lower and the greenish tinge comes out. I do believe that my brighter viewing enviorment during the day has me push the set to brighter levels than others.
I have my backlight at 50. I tried Slickmans white balance settings from p5brownes stock settings too blue for my taste. Very poppy though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › THE Official LG "55LHX" Owners Thread