or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › NEW Audio Tier Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW Audio Tier Thread - Page 6

post #151 of 3092
G.I. JOE: RISE OF THE COBRA- TIER 1

I go tier 1 on this as while I really enjoyed the surround use for loud music and effects it could have employed some sharper more pertinent effects there. Lot of LFE but not any truly BIG effects. After TF2 I enjoyed that the track was a little simple and not as busy as TF2.
post #152 of 3092
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (DTSHD-MA) - Reference

Pure fun is probably the best way to describe this track. The number of instances the subject matter offers for huge LFE and interesting surround use is unprecedented, and the track delivers almost all the way. ROTF is basically 2 hours of demo material. The number of different sound effects on offer is mind boggling especially when combined with the virtually constant surround usage. The 3 dimensionality of the track is impressive, especially when there are robots walking around the sound field and you hear the classic thud off in the distance somewhere. Compared to the first movie, the LFE has definitely been pumped up to maximum, but this has also resulted in some bass inconsistencies. The fact that the movie has so many moments of "satisfying" LFE somewhat nullifies the instances where bass is slightly off or lacking depth. There are definitely times where it does feel like the low end is overdone, and this is where the first movie's track has an edge. In terms of dialogue, it was pretty much fine except for some scratchiness during the phone call between Sam and Mikaela when hes in college. If you're looking for a demo BD, this is it, for both audio and video.
post #153 of 3092
Diana Krall: Live In Rio (DTS HD MA) Tier 1
The same problem that occurs in "Live In Paris" happens here as well though to a much lesser degree. The piano can be heard on 3 channels. (C,R,SR). To me it's a major bummer because this track had so much going for it sonically speaking. Great soundstage overall, very good balance as well, though I wanted a little more presence from John Clayton on double bass, like he was on the Paris concert. Performance wise Diana as a singer was unpredictable and while this may be a good thing among jazz musicians, and some hard core fans, it was a bit of turn off for me.
Thankfully her piano playing was much more in synch, and her trio of musicians she adores, can carry anything she threw at them.

Bryan there was another vote on this from the previous thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=637
post #154 of 3092
Thread Starter 
Monsters, Inc. (DTS-HD MA 5.1) - Reference

This track takes everything that was wonderful about the DD5.1 track from the 2002 DVD and improves upon it. Something I noticed right away which I never had before (in spite of countless viewings, thanks to two young kids) were the atmospherics: air conditioning in the factory, for instance, which varies according to which room you're in -- noticeable in the training room and (especially) the ominous basement, but barely there in the scenes set outside the administrative offices. Surround activity is constant, with Boo's laughs/screams and the climatic sequence in the door vault the real standouts. Directional dialogue everywhere. Deep bass that punches you in the gut when needed but never overstays its welcome. No distortion in the voices whatsoever. I simply cannot find fault with this one.
post #155 of 3092
Thread Starter 
Up (DTS-HD MA 5.1, though I hear its an ES track?) - Tier 1

I have to admit, coming just a few hours after Monsters, Inc., I was expecting quite a bit more from this one. Deep bass is fairly absent aside from the movements of Carl's house, though a well-timed thunderstorm awakened the surround speakers and sub for a moment. Things pick up quite a bit with the climactic action sequence, enough so that I was tempted to rate the mix a Tier 0, but overall it's just not that engaging. Even caught several bits of distortion in Ed Asner's (Carl) voice.

Very good movie albeit with a weak middle (I've seen it four times now - 2 in 3D, 1 in 2D, and 1 on BD). Would love to see Pixar tackle a completely silent film, as certain dialogue-free sequences in this movie and "Wall-E" pack a powerful punch that's quickly deflated when characters start actually talking.
post #156 of 3092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Beckman View Post

Monsters, Inc. (DTS-HD MA 5.1) - Reference

This track takes everything that was wonderful about the DD5.1 track from the 2002 DVD and improves upon it. Something I noticed right away which I never had before (in spite of countless viewings, thanks to two young kids) were the atmospherics: air conditioning in the factory, for instance, which varies according to which room you're in -- noticeable in the training room and (especially) the ominous basement, but barely there in the scenes set outside the administrative offices. Surround activity is constant, with Boo's laughs/screams and the climatic sequence in the door vault the real standouts. Directional dialogue everywhere. Deep bass that punches you in the gut when needed but never overstays its welcome. No distortion in the voices whatsoever. I simply cannot find fault with this one.

Bryan, I completely agree with you on this one. I noticed the small drone of air conditioning, factory machines running, etc. in the background, which I never really heard before. Like you, I've seen this movie on DVD a ridiculous amount of times. This is one outstanding track.
post #157 of 3092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Beckman View Post

Monsters, Inc. (DTS-HD MA 5.1) - Reference

This track takes everything that was wonderful about the DD5.1 track from the 2002 DVD and improves upon it. Something I noticed right away which I never had before (in spite of countless viewings, thanks to two young kids) were the atmospherics: air conditioning in the factory, for instance, which varies according to which room you're in -- noticeable in the training room and (especially) the ominous basement, but barely there in the scenes set outside the administrative offices. Surround activity is constant, with Boo's laughs/screams and the climatic sequence in the door vault the real standouts. Directional dialogue everywhere. Deep bass that punches you in the gut when needed but never overstays its welcome. No distortion in the voices whatsoever. I simply cannot find fault with this one.

From the very start it lets you know this is something special. Everything is so clear and dynamic. I was not expecting such constant and aggressive surrounds from this old of a movie. And the LFE when the really big monster walks by on the street...priceless
post #158 of 3092
I wanted to reiterate what has already been said about DAVE MATTHEWS & TIM REYNOLDS: LIVE AT RADIO CITY.

I couldn't stop watching and listening to it.

Reference
post #159 of 3092
Heat: Dolby Tru HD 5.1- Reference

I am going to go out on a limb here, but even just the shootout scene alone puts this in reference, since there is no other like it in any movie to date that I am aware of. The realism and sounds and surround use is just the most incredible gun battle I have ever heard. I own an AR-15 and after watching that seen I was literally trembling from the realism and adrenalin. I have it on DVD, but this track takes it to the next level.

The rest of the BD has excellent use of sound and surrounds and there are some other stand out moments, but most of the sound is subdued dialogue and goes from low to normals volumes and then the intense action scenes it tends to really jump and be that much more intense. CHeck out Pacino when he goes off and yells the few times, he is a hoot.

While your not going to hear a Monster's Inc, or Transformers type of track with LFE and overall phenomenal sound, I still think Heat merits reference for my above mentioned reasons.
post #160 of 3092
Up (DTS-HD MA) Reference

I LOVED this track. Don't expect in your face, over the top sound design ala Revenge of the Fallen. In one word, this soundtrack is realistic. I was totally engaged in the sound design, whether it be the ambient noise of skyscrapers being built around Carl's house or the intense lightening storm that the floating house drifted into or the thuds of crashing boulders during a great chase scene. Not to mention Giacchino's score. If he doesn't get an Oscar nom for the score in this movie, then there better be some damn fine scores being released in theaters this holiday season. Overall, a flawless presentation, both visually and audibly.
post #161 of 3092
^ We watched Up the night before last, but I was in and out of the room while my family watched it, so I couldn't really tell enough to give a review. What I heard sounded really good, though.
post #162 of 3092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

Heat: Dolby Tru HD 5.1- Reference

The talk about the audio on this one has me really excited. It's rare you get a live action movie as outstanding as this one, with reportedly top notch audio to boot.
post #163 of 3092
Monster's Inc: Looks like I am the only guy to Vote Tier-0. The issue I had with this track was lack of oomph in mid and high end sounds which sounded slightly subdued. But this one sounded slightly better than Bug's Life.
post #164 of 3092
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Monster's Inc: Looks like I am the only guy to Vote Tier-0. The issue I had with this track was lack of oomph in mid and high end sounds which sounded slightly subdued. But this one sounded slightly better than Bug's Life.

Your review from a few weeks ago is the one I was thinking about while I was watching this. I remembered how you said it was missing something that kept it out of the reference tier, but honestly, even though I was trying to hear what you were, I couldn't find fault in it. This track was right up there with the best for me. Then again, I also thought A Bug's Life was reference, too.
post #165 of 3092
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Monster's Inc: Looks like I am the only guy to Vote Tier-0. The issue I had with this track was lack of oomph in mid and high end sounds which sounded slightly subdued. But this one sounded slightly better than Bug's Life.

Nope, I voted Tier 0 as well. I imported the UK version which I believe is the exact same as the recently released US version.
post #166 of 3092
North by Northwest (TrueHD 5.1) Tier 3

I didn't care much for this track. I know some reviewers did but dialogue was drowned out at times. And of course it's 50 year age showed as surround use was just thrown in at various spots. I think I would have preferred the original mono track. The highlight was the beautiful score. I thought I was in for a real treat during the opening title sequence.
post #167 of 3092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

Up (DTS-HD MA) Reference

I LOVED this track. Don't expect in your face, over the top sound design ala Revenge of the Fallen. In one word, this soundtrack is realistic. I was totally engaged in the sound design, whether it be the ambient noise of skyscrapers being built around Carl's house or the intense lightening storm that the floating house drifted into or the thuds of crashing boulders during a great chase scene. Not to mention Giacchino's score. If he doesn't get an Oscar nom for the score in this movie, then there better be some damn fine scores being released in theaters this holiday season. Overall, a flawless presentation, both visually and audibly.

+1 on the Giacchino comment. I absolutely loved the score: it's heartwarming and heartbreaking without being too saccharine, given more substance by its waltz-like nature, and that explorer's theme song was great. It's very much a score for adults because it may be a little too nostalgic/sad for kids. I haven't gotten the film on BD, but will pick it up Tuesday with Monsters, Inc. and Star Trek (which Giacchino scored as well) to make a triple feature!
post #168 of 3092
Ratatouille - LPCM 5.1 is hands down the best sounding animation BD I have heard so far. The difference between the uncompressed track and the DD one is quite huge. To be frank, it even puts the sound mix of live action movies to shame. I am at loss of words. I can't even type anymore. LFE and discreetness still echoing in my ears. Amazing movie accompanied by reference SQ and PQ. Kudos to the engineers. Mission accomplished.
post #169 of 3092
G.I. Joe: Rise Of Cobra (DTS-MA) tier 1


Inconsistent is what comes to mind with this mix. The sound quality (or lack of) and CGI seemed to go hand in hand at times (the CGI was very rough at times) The sound in the first 3/4 of this movie is surprisingly flat, quite a few missed sound spots, compressed sounding at times, etc.....If not for the last 1/4 of the film which kicks the sound up a notch or two and sounded more in line of what a film like this is expected to sound like, I would have voted tier 2. The last 1/4 does sound better though and brought this one into tier 1 for me. Surround use was good by the way and dialog was never an issue. There just seemed to be a lacking quality to the track in general, atleast in the first ~3/4 of the film.

This one should have been better though from a sound perspective.
post #170 of 3092
Joe was well layered with lots of interesting dynamic sci-fi sounds in theaters, maybe something happened when it was remixed. I won't get a chance to watch it until next week. Damn, I was expecting a better response tot he audio on it.

As for Giacchino - he's the man. every score is gold and the best part is they don't all sound the same(cough...Zimmer...cough). Can't wait for Trek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Ratatouille - LPCM 5.1 is hands down the best sounding animation BD I have heard so far. The difference between the uncompressed track and the DD one is quite huge. To be frank, it even puts the sound mix of live action movies to shame. I am at loss of words. I can't even type anymore. LFE and discreetness still echoing in my ears. Amazing movie accompanied by reference SQ and PQ. Kudos to the engineers. Mission accomplished.

I would give Panda the edge because its balls to the wall, but Rat, by far, has a much better score and a somewhat more interesting soundscape.
post #171 of 3092
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Ratatouille - LPCM 5.1 is hands down the best sounding animation BD I have heard so far. The difference between the uncompressed track and the DD one is quite huge. To be frank, it even puts the sound mix of live action movies to shame. I am at loss of words. I can't even type anymore. LFE and discreetness still echoing in my ears. Amazing movie accompanied by reference SQ and PQ. Kudos to the engineers. Mission accomplished.

I agree that Ratatouille is probably the best sounding BD that I have heard. Simply superb.
post #172 of 3092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

G.I. Joe: Rise Of Cobra (DTS-MA) tier 1


Inconsistent is what comes to mind with this mix. The sound quality (or lack of) and CGI seemed to go hand in hand at times (the CGI was very rough at times) The sound in the first 3/4 of this movie is surprisingly flat, quite a few missed sound spots, compressed sounding at times, etc.....If not for the last 1/4 of the film which kicks the sound up a notch or two and sounded more in line of what a film like this is expected to sound like, I would have voted tier 2. The last 1/4 does sound better though and brought this one into tier 1 for me. Surround use was good by the way and dialog was never an issue. There just seemed to be a lacking quality to the track in general, atleast in the first ~3/4 of the film.

This one should have been better though from a sound perspective.

You nailed this, and I couldn't agree more.

There was a real lack of dynamic range with this, especially in the first 1/3 of the movie or so.
post #173 of 3092
Thread Starter 
The thread is now up to date as of post #172.

NEW to Tier 0:
Diana Krall: Live in Rio
Heat
The Midnight Meat Train
Star Trek: Generations
Up


NEW to Tier 3:
North by Northwest


NEW to Unfinished Business:
The Haunting in Connecticut


REMOVED from Unfinished Business:
Diana Krall: Live in Rio
Heat
The Midnight Meat Train
North by Northwest
Star Trek: Generations


Thread's been pretty slow lately. Maybe I should abandon it for a little while.
post #174 of 3092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

You nailed this, and I couldn't agree more.

There was a real lack of dynamic range with this, especially in the first 1/3 of the movie or so.


I hear you Rob, It was a strange track for me. I really expected to be impressed, but it fell flat. Interesting that everyone who has commented on this one is right in line with each other so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

Joe was well layered with lots of interesting dynamic sci-fi sounds in theaters, maybe something happened when it was remixed. I won't get a chance to watch it until next week. Damn, I was expecting a better response tot he audio on it.

Interesting. Like you said, maybe something changed in the remix.
post #175 of 3092
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button isn't ranked? I remember a few reviews when it first came out. I'll be giving it a spin tonight.
post #176 of 3092
Yeah there were several votes on that including a ref as well, I forgot by who, sorry.
I voted Tier 1 on that.
post #177 of 3092
Friday the 13th. (Dolby THD) Tier 0
Better then the typical jump scare fest we normally get with this kind of genre.
It paid attention to little details, like forest sounds. Great use of surrounds, with sharp holographic soundstage of movements. Bass is spot on and not being over done. Dynamics benefitted from mids and highs as well, not just from the bass. Balance was perfect as well. Forgettable score though much like the film. No sign of strain or distortion anywhere. Not bad Filmmixer.
post #178 of 3092
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Yeah there were several votes on that including a ref as well, I forgot by who, sorry.
I voted Tier 1 on that.

I'm getting the sense that even though the last update to the previous thread was made on 7/12, the latest date for which rankings were taken into consideration was much earlier. I may have to do some more digging...
post #179 of 3092
Godzilla [1998] (DTS-HD MA 5.1) Reference

Folks, we have a new king of catalog releases. Everything is top shelf. Surround usage is crazy good. Soundstage envelopment, dynamic presence, bass output and well, it is certainly loud. I just can't find a fault with it.
post #180 of 3092
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

I would give Panda the edge because its balls to the wall, but Rat, by far, has a much better score and a somewhat more interesting soundscape.

Rat also paid more attention to details/acoustics. Details example: when Remy is on the window atop the restaurant. His voice is clearly bouncing off the glass while Gusteau's is not (as he is a "figment" of Remy's imagination). Acoustics example: it is thick in the foggy outdoor night scene with just the right amount of reverb to emulate the acoustics of an alley. It thins out in less humid moments like when you hear the car crashing when the pan flies out the window. But Panda does hold your attention more due to the contents of the story (more action).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › NEW Audio Tier Thread