or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › What's Your System Configuration › music/movie living room system
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

music/movie living room system - Page 3

post #61 of 279
Nice-these will be replacing the towers for your computer setup?
post #62 of 279
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post
Nice-these will be replacing the towers for your computer setup?
Yeap. The towers were overkill for that room. I had them shoved in the corners and they just couldn't breath. Also the imaging/soundstage was all screwed up due to the lack of placement options.

This new setup should be killer as the speakers will sit on my desk actually aimed at my ears.

I will definitely need a sub with these as they only go down to 60hz. Thinking of either some of the sealed velos like the Optimums or if i can find a used one, the JL f110.
post #63 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Yeap. The towers were overkill for that room. I had them shoved in the corners and they just couldn't breath. Also the imaging/soundstage was all screwed up due to the lack of placement options.

This new setup should be killer as the speakers will sit on my desk actually aimed at my ears.

I will definitely need a sub with these as they only go down to 60hz. Thinking of either some of the sealed velos like the Optimums or if i can find a used one, the JL f110.

Right on-it sounds like it will be a nice improvement. I have my powered Swan speakers on my desk and aimed them up a bit with Auralex mopads.
post #64 of 279
Thread Starter 
Along with wrapping the cherry inserts with carbon fiber, I will be making my own speaker cables.

I will be using the Nakamichi banana plugs, carbon flex wire from parts express, and black cable pants.

I will be using a 16 gauge monster speaker cable that I have left over.

What size of flex wire and cable pants will fit good?
post #65 of 279
Thread Starter 
The Bostons are in!











post #66 of 279
Thread Starter 
Here is how they will be setup. I will be wrapping the cherry inserts with real carbon fiber and making my own speaker cables for them.

These are extremely well built. They weigh in at 16 lbs each. So far they sound extremely good. Very transparent. Need high quality sources, crappy MP3s sound crappy!

Also, a sub is a must with these as there is absolutely nothing below 60hz. I am pretty sure now that I will be picking up the SVS SB13plus in the near future.

post #67 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Along with wrapping the cherry inserts with carbon fiber, I will be making my own speaker cables.

I will be using the Nakamichi banana plugs, carbon flex wire from parts express, and black cable pants.

I will be using a 16 gauge monster speaker cable that I have left over.

What size of flex wire and cable pants will fit good?
It's tough to say about the size for techflex and cable pants--most of us in the DIY speakercable thread use the fat Monoprice in-wall speakerwire with outer jacket. I have various sizes of Parts Express pants I can send you for free if you pay shipping. I made some funky right angle bananas with compression plugs the other day. Normally I use the black chrome GLS plugs from Orange County Speaker Repair.

Attachment 217450
LL
post #68 of 279
Thread Starter 
Well, I did some measuring and metric to inches conversion and came up with what I think will be just right. LOL

6mm pants and 1/8" sleeving. Ordering now. We shall see.
post #69 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Here is how they will be setup. I will be wrapping the cherry inserts with real carbon fiber and making my own speaker cables for them.
These are extremely well built. They weigh in at 16 lbs each. So far they sound extremely good. Very transparent. Need high quality sources, crappy MP3s sound crappy!
Gee, they look good!
With the E60, the bad recording will stand out as being poor. If some one
is not use to a transparent, open and rich detailed sound - and are use
to an artificial bass boost in their speakers > then they might assume that
the speakers are bright. They are neutral and bring forth a realistic life like
sound. The E60 is an ear and eye opener, to what good quality sound is.
From around 60hz and up, they are a top level performer. Continue to Enjoy.
post #70 of 279
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Gee, they look good!
With the E60, the bad recording will stand out as being poor. If some one
is not use to a transparent, open and rich detailed sound - and are use
to an artificial bass boost in their speakers > then they might assume that
the speakers are bright. They are neutral and bring forth a realistic life like
sound. The E60 is an ear and eye opener, to what good quality sound is.
From around 60hz and up, they are a top level performer. Continue to Enjoy.
Thanks for recommending them. Loving them so far.
post #71 of 279
Thread Starter 
Wrapped. Not 100% happy with it as the edges are not perfect. Might redo but it's pretty tough to get the edges perfect.



post #72 of 279
Thread Starter 
Ordered the Logitech Harmony 1100 remote control to replace my crusty old Harman Kardon one.
post #73 of 279
Thread Starter 
Here is a funky little panaroma shot of my desk with an iPhone app.

post #74 of 279
Thread Starter 
Harmony 1100 = Best.Remote.Ever.

Love this thing so far. Programmed some custom buttons and channel logos.





post #75 of 279
does it do RF and can it control a HTPC?

Those are the two things that hold me from getting a full fledged universal remote as my DirecTV covers most of the usage of my devices and my other item utilizing the home theater is my PC as it's heavily integrated into everything (thus negating the need for a universal remote).
post #76 of 279
Thread Starter 
It doesn't do RF out of the box. You need to add the Logitech RF extender for it to work.

Not sure about HTPC support but it can learn commands from any IR remote.
post #77 of 279
Thread Starter 
I am going to be selling all of the Polk speakers. Please let me know if anybody is interested before I throw them on Ebay/Craigslist.

Looking to go with the Focal 800 series.
post #78 of 279
Thread Starter 
Picked up a Velodyne SPL-1200 to go with my Boston E60s for the 2ch system. Oh man, it sounds so good. Clean and punchy. I am in audio nirvana.

post #79 of 279
Thread Starter 
Here are some more shots of the 2.1 system.





Auralex acoustic wall panels



Griffin PowerMate

post #80 of 279
Thread Starter 
I am looking for the Antimode 8033 sub EQ. Anyone have one for sale or know where to get one?
post #81 of 279
Thread Starter 
Picked up some of these in anticipation of the new mains.

post #82 of 279
Thread Starter 
Quick vid of the 2ch system in action. Only at half power...zero distortion

post #83 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Quick vid of the 2ch system in action. Only at half power...zero distortion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l73GT...ature=youtu.be

Looks clean, Drew--what sub is that?
post #84 of 279
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Looks clean, Drew--what sub is that?

Thanks man. Velodyne SPL-1200.
post #85 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Thanks man. Velodyne SPL-1200.

Good stuff, major upgrades here as well. Expensive but fun .
post #86 of 279
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post


Good stuff, major upgrades here as well. Expensive but fun .

Right on. Start up a thread. I'd love to see it.
post #87 of 279
Thread Starter 
Ordered some Kef IQ90s to replace my Polks in the HT. Couldn't quite resist the great deal at Vanns. I was pretty set on the Focal 800 series and may still get those down the line if the Kefs don't work out.

I will be using the Polks for surrounds for the time being and run a phantom center.
post #88 of 279
Was gonna reply to your post with a question back in my thread but I felt it would be better here. I see your running a SVS Sb and pb. Was it difficult to get the two to play together nicely? Also how is the SB? I've been eyeing it for sometime for a 2 channel music set up (and possibly maybe the 4th sub in my set up) and it looks like a performer alright!
post #89 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Was gonna reply to your post with a question back in my thread but I felt it would be better here. I see your running a SVS Sb and pb. Was it difficult to get the two to play together nicely? Also how is the SB? I've been eyeing it for sometime for a 2 channel music set up (and possibly maybe the 4th sub in my set up) and it looks like a performer alright!

I'm not Drew so hopefully he's not offended that I answer for him (because I sold him his SB12 ), but I think the thing is awesome in a smaller room setup. I still REALLY regret doing it, but it helped fund my dual Rythmik E15s. Drew-if you're looking to upgrade I'll happily buy it back .

Kevin-I see you RSVP'd for the AIX demo?
post #90 of 279
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Was gonna reply to your post with a question back in my thread but I felt it would be better here. I see your running a SVS Sb and pb. Was it difficult to get the two to play together nicely? Also how is the SB? I've been eyeing it for sometime for a 2 channel music set up (and possibly maybe the 4th sub in my set up) and it looks like a performer alright!

To me, they sound fine together. The PB has much lower tuning, so the SB is not fighting it at the lower frequencies. The SB does add a little bit more oomph to the front stage that was missing before. I have my PB right next to the couch and at times, the bass seemed a little lopsided. With the SB in the front, it seems to smooth out the sound.

The receiver I have is able to EQ both subs individually so that is also probably a part of the reason that it does sound good.

In regards to using it in a 2 ch music setup, the SB12 is excellent. Very tight and punchy. Placement is everything though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › What's Your System Configuration › music/movie living room system