Originally Posted by astral_essence
Interesting to hear what Anthem comes back with. I had posted the above findings a few threads back.
Let me just say, I have played the SUB2's now at ridiculously loud levels (just for test purposes) and I have been unable to trip them (either of them). I think it has been 4-5 months now since changing the cables and settings on the D2v and no more issues.
I suspect the problem is a voltage issue coming out of the LFE output of your D2V. It seems almost everyone who had a SUB2 issue also coincidentally was running a D2V as the processor.
Tech support has provided me with a firmware update that should fix the problem. Here is are three responses from them ... the first is the oldest and the last is the newest. Basically the sub2 is shutting itself down to protect itself. The firmware update corrects this. see below.First response:
Considering this only happens with certain discs and tracks I’m assuming that the track content is sending a signal to the sub that is causing the limiter to reach its limit.
Or then a possible software glitch. Installing updated firmware that corrects the limits at certain frequencies will cause this issue to be eliminated while still protecting the unit.Second response with more clarification after I had asked for more:
The limiting circuit is not, by any means faulty.
The limiting/protection circuit is also governed by software which actively monitors the signal to output ratios.
If these values had been set a tad higher in the original software (that shipped with the unit) than is now required by bass demanding tracks this issue may present itself.
Hence the software update proposed. The design of the Sub amp allows this flexibility via software. There is absolutely no limit to the performance of the sub2, only an enhancement.
There would be no need to re measure with PBK. (re-uploading the file should be all that is needed if worried)
This issue is at the extreme end of the response spectrum.Last response with the most detail. ( i had asked why i had to get a replacement sub2 the first time for the same problem and had asked why I now was being supplied a firmware fix):
Hi Robert, we did not know the exact issue when this first occurred, like most problems first reported. In fact this issue is the only one ever reported for this model. Given this is a flagship product we were extremely interested in having any unit return with this issue. The only way to know what’s going on is to have it here to test and examine. It could have been a mechanical problem or electrical or software based. We replaced your Sub at the time since all testing up to that moment pointed to either an electrical problem ( the amp module) or a driver issue (possibly both)?. Fixing the issue requires reproducing it consistently. This issue was not always easy to reproduce at will, until we had tested a unit out, along with the proper source material.
There is software and hardware which governs the protection of the sub. A design with this much power and output demands it. The protect/limit was adjusted to accommodate extreme low frequency which normally would trigger the sub to protect itself. The fact that we can make the adjustment shows the integrity of the design. Let me be very clear, this software adjustment does not “dumb down” the performance of the sub, it can only extend and enhance the performance at these extreme ranges. The design and build quality allows this. It will faithfully reproduce and not limit the frequency and output of the design, so long as the source material is not distorted.