or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Availability of Panasonic DMR-EH59/69 in USA?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Availability of Panasonic DMR-EH59/69 in USA? - Page 3

post #61 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Just got the EH-58 a couple of weeks ago so I was unaware of this.

Well, I just looked at the B&H site. It clearly says multi-system, multi-zone, which according to the customer service means that it will play disks of any region. That is what they SAID, I don't know for sure of course.

It is interesting that the B&H web site does not say anything about the unit NOT converting PAL to NTSC and NTSC to PAL. The J&R site has them listed, but out of stock, also no mention of the no conversions capability. On the World-Import site it says:

Quote:


Records PAL to NTSC with the use of a video converter
Records NTSC to PAL with the use of a video converter
Plays NTSC on PAL TV with the use of a video converter
Plays PAL on NTSC TV with the use of a video converter

and at the end of the description, it says with a yellow background and red printing:

Quote:


**NOTE:

This unit does not convert between PAL and NTSC. To record in PAL this unit must receive a PAL signal. To record in NTSC this unit must receive an NTSC signal. If you need to convert signals between PAL and NTSC we suggest you also buy the CMD-850 Professional video converter we sell.

Okay, so I get it. They are using the lack of this ability on the part of the DVD recorder to sell their converter. Still, it clearly says this recorder will not do format conversion, so no one can be taken by surprise when buying from them. By the way the CMD-850, if it's the one I bought, is not very good, and FAR from professional in my opinion.

I'm surprised that the other companies selling the units aren't telling you that the DMR EH-58 won't convert between video formats. It does seem like this should be in the description.
post #62 of 270
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

It is interesting that the B&H web site does not say anything about the unit NOT converting PAL to NTSC and NTSC to PAL.

The page for the (discontinued) EH58 does state, under the "Features" tab,

Quote:


Note! Must be played back on a multi-system TV to view PAL DVDs in the US.

And the pages for the EH59, EH68 and EH69 state, both on the main page and under the "Features" tab,

Quote:


This unit may require a multi-system TV or system converter to view PAL DVDs in the US.
post #63 of 270
That does imply that the machine will not convert video between formats, but I can see how someone might still not get it, and be confused. It wasn't clear to ti-triodes .

What I find interesting is the almost total lack of mention of NTSC. It does have a statement under the heading "PAL and SECAM TV Tuners" about NTSC:
Quote:
It offers built-in PAL and SECAM television tuners, capable of recording your favorite (PAL/SECAM signal) TV show. This unit is capable of recording an NTSC signal with the use of a video standards converter

...so you are correct. The information is in there, but I think W-I did a better job of highlighting it. Still, I stand corrected.

The only ones new that B&H still have are the EH-59 and EH-69, thought they have at least one each used EH-58 and EH-59.

W-I says that they have more models available, but I strongly doubt the accuracy of their web site in listing in-stock and out-of-stock items. I would definitely call before making a web order.
post #64 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

That does imply that the machine will not convert video between formats, but I can see how someone might still not get it, and be confused. It wasn't clear to ti-triodes .

What I find interesting is the almost total lack of mention of NTSC. It does have a statement under the heading "PAL and SECAM TV Tuners" about NTSC:

...so you are correct. The information is in there, but I think W-I did a better job of highlighting it. Still, I stand corrected.

The only ones new that B&H still have are the EH-59 and EH-69, thought they have at least one each used EH-58 and EH-59.

W-I says that they have more models available, but I strongly doubt the accuracy of their web site in listing in-stock and out-of-stock items. I would definitely call before making a web order.


Yes, it is bit confusing, especially to someone who's uses to playing anything in an Oppo without thinking about it. You got to read the small print with these recorders. Thanks for your help.
post #65 of 270
There is another vendor I found that lists the code free Pannys and Pios and has the best price for the EH-69. Anyone here know anything about them?


http://www.110220volts.com/DVDRecord...n+Free%29.html


Reseller ratings aren't terrible.


http://www.resellerratings.com/store...rseas_Best_Buy


They also list the best price for Scart adapters that I've seen.


http://www.110220volts.com/S-Multi.html
post #66 of 270
Never heard of 110220volts but it's not to be confused with http://www.220-electronics.com/dvd/dvdorig.htm which has been mentioned in this forum before.
post #67 of 270
I have never heard of 110220volts before now either. A VERY quick look at the page referenced by ti-triodes shows the EH69 cheaper then the EH59. This seems more then odd to me as the two are the same except for HDD size, bigger in the 69, and some added features in the 69 that the 59 does not have. How can it have a larger HDD, and added features, and be less expensive?

There is also a site called GandhiAppliances.com that has lots of DVD recorders listed, but many of them are tagged "No Longer in Stock" when you go to the item specific page. The EH59 page has an incorrect statement saying in bold, and colored red, "NOTE: THIS UNIT REQUIRES PAL OR MULTI-SYSTEM TV. THIS UNIT WILL NOT WORK ON NTSC TVs (AMERICAN TVs)". I don't have too much confidence in them if they have incorrect statements about their products.

Of all the sellers that have been mentioned, the one that I have done the most business with overall is B&H, and I would have the most confidence in them. J&R is also completely trustworthy, but they don't have current stock. I have ordered from W-I a few times, when I was desperate, and they have come through for me with no complaints at all. I'm still not completely confident in them though. The other sites, 110220volts, 220-electronics and GandhiAppliances I have no experience with, aside from looking at their web sites.
post #68 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

I have never heard of 110220volts before now either. A VERY quick look at the page referenced by ti-triodes shows the EH69 cheaper then the EH59. This seems more then odd to me as the two are the same except for HDD size, bigger in the 69, and some added features in the 69 that the 59 does not have. How can it have a larger HDD, and added features, and be less expensive?

There is also a site called GandhiAppliances.com that has lots of DVD recorders listed, but many of them are tagged "No Longer in Stock" when you go to the item specific page. The EH59 page has an incorrect statement saying in bold, and colored red, "NOTE: THIS UNIT REQUIRES PAL OR MULTI-SYSTEM TV. THIS UNIT WILL NOT WORK ON NTSC TVs (AMERICAN TVs)". I don't have too much confidence in them if they have incorrect statements about their products.

Of all the sellers that have been mentioned, the one that I have done the most business with overall is B&H, and I would have the most confidence in them. J&R is also completely trustworthy, but they don't have current stock. I have ordered from W-I a few times, when I was desperate, and they have come through for me with no complaints at all. I'm still not completely confident in them though. The other sites, 110220volts, 220-electronics and GandhiAppliances I have no experience with, aside from looking at their web sites.


I've used both B&H and J&R for decades, when they were both local stores for me and they are both completely trustworthy. I always get some red flags with these other electronics sites, but I figured I'd pass along 110220volts since there are a lot of reseller ratings and they are supposedly registered with the BBB and you can use Paypal. Personally, I'll stick with the big boys.
post #69 of 270
I think I've mentioned before, those of you hoping to buy a recorder from B&H or J&R will sometimes need to have more patience than you'd expect. B&H and J&R are utterly reliable dealers in business for decades with customers all over the world, but they have one big fat caveat attached when it comes to certain niche products like multi-region DVD/HDD recorders: they are primarily New York City dealers. As a resident of this often-frustrating metropolis, I've been in person to both dealers many times. And each time I drop by, I see hordes of Arab, Pakistani, Indian and Russian customers lined up to buy these things, for cash. So you can't always rely on the stock checks they have on their web sites: either dealer might have ten EH-69s and ten DVR-560s this morning, but they can easily sell all of them to walk-in trade within 48 hours if there's a run.

If J&R or B&H sell out of Panasonics or Pioneers, its usually a 6-8 week wait before they get more stock, but they always do re-stock. (The Panasonics should keep coming indefinitely, but I was surprised when both of them got in more Pioneers a couple weeks back, because Pioneer stopped making the things several months ago: I guess theres a load of stock in Pioneers warehouses.) These two are the "go to" dealers for something like the EH-69, but if they are sold out when you try to order W-I is a decent third choice. I'm not sure, but the "220electronics" site might be an offshoot of W-I, they seem connected somehow. Gandhi Electronics is like something outta Seinfeld's bizarro world- something ain't right there.
post #70 of 270
Thread Starter 
I finally got around to trying a region 2 PAL disc with my EH68 and NTSC-only display. The EH68's DVD-Video splash screen came up, then the display went blank. The EH68's front-panel display read PLAY as it presumably went through the disc's copyright and splash screens and ended up at the main menu. After a minute, I then hit the "play" button, whereupon the time-counter appeared on the front panel and started to increment. When I hit the "stop" button, the EH68's splash screen reappeared. So the unit seemed to play the disc normally, but my display couldn't show me any of it.
post #71 of 270
I bought at separate times two Panasonic model EH-68 DVD recorders from World-Import. The first came with two manuals, one in Japanese, one in English, and the unit was for the Australasian market. The second, later, order also came with two manuals, although this time the second manual was in Arabic. I am now waiting for the Panasonic repair facility in Elgin to fix the second unit, they are waiting for parts. Somehow static electricity from my hand to the unit when I was pressing the eject button caused some circuit board to fry. So, from my experience here, if you can pick which coverage region you want your Panasonic DVD recorder to be for, to play it safe I suggest trying to get the unit with the Japanese manual. Maybe bad luck, maybe not as to which unit came down with a glitch. I don't know if Panasonic makes separate production runs for their DVD recorders to different regions or just sends the same units out everywhere, only with separate sets of manuals.

I ordered a new EH-59 from World-Import and this unit came with a Japanese Panasonic manual and was made in October 2009. I will check out this unit's longevity. Panasonic moved the eject button to the top of the unit, no longer in line with the rest of the face plate. Maybe if my EH-68 had such a configuration, the static burst would have not done such damage. If anyone here has bought a new EH-59, they can post information on the manuals they received and the unit's production date.

Oh, I have heard in the past that J&R has a very tough return policy. I haven't bought anything from them in a long time, so that no longer may be the case now.
post #72 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrytwo View Post

Oh, I have heard in the past that J&R has a very tough return policy. I haven't bought anything from them in a long time, so that no longer may be the case now.

Yes and no. Its true they have historically had a real ballbusting attitude about returns: the unit has to be noticeably, demonstrably defective and even then their stated poilcy is to exchange or store credit only, no refunds. OTOH in recent years their shift to huge internet sales has forced them to be more flexible, and technically they know all credit card purchases are subject to chargebacks if they don't negotiate reasonably with disgruntled customers, so their return policy is now more in line with other vendors.

To a degree, you have to put this in context: J&R has been in business, slowly expanding, since the early 1970s. During their first 20 years, J&R was pretty much the only dealer in New York that both carried mid to high end product and heavily discounted it. An enormous number of unscrupulous buyers tried to take advantage of this by purchasing high-end stuff to "audition" and then return for refund (its disgusting how many "golden ears" types can't be bothered to patronize the saloons dedicated to serving them). So the draconian return policy was developed and enforced to counter this: another example of a few bad apples screwing up something good for everyone. In any case credit card purchase protections are much stronger today, and in the last ten years J&R has quadrupled in size which requires more flexibility, so you're covered (especially with refurbs like the Magnavox H2160). However, don't expect Wal*Mart-level return freedoms: you can easily return a truly defective recorder but certainly not 90 days after purchase and you can't re-exchange recorders five times looking for a "perfect" unit. J&R is a discount specialist for those who know exactly what they want and need, who don't expect to return something unless its grossly defective. Ditto B&H.

If you aren't comfortable unless you get an ultra-liberal anything-goes return policy, stick to Crutchfield or New Egg or Amazon.
post #73 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post

I finally got around to trying a region 2 PAL disc with my EH68 and NTSC-only display. The EH68's DVD-Video splash screen came up, then the display went blank. The EH68's front-panel display read PLAY as it presumably went through the disc's copyright and splash screens and ended up at the main menu. After a minute, I then hit the "play" button, whereupon the time-counter appeared on the front panel and started to increment. When I hit the "stop" button, the EH68's splash screen reappeared. So the unit seemed to play the disc normally, but my display couldn't show me any of it.

Yes, I understand what you are saying. You have the EH68 set to NTSC in the setup menu, so you get NTSC out of it for everything, UNTIL, you put ina PAL disk and press play. The unit changes to PAL, on the fly, when the disk is playing. My television info display confirms that the 480i turns to 576i when I press play. It turns back to 480i when I press stop. If your display cannot handle 576i, you will need a converter of some kind, or a new television.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

...J&R has been in business, slowly expanding, since the early 1970s. During their first 20 years, J&R was pretty much the only dealer in New York that both carried mid to high end product and heavily discounted it. An enormous number of unscrupulous buyers tried to take advantage of this by purchasing high-end stuff to "audition" and then return for refund (its disgusting how many "golden ears" types can't be bothered to patronize the saloons dedicated to serving them).

This is not only STILL going on, it is becoming more common. Various stores now keep track of returns and will include on the sales slip, a limited return policy, so when a customer tries to return a sixth item in a month, the store computer will reject it as beyond the five item limit. Stuff like that.

In this very forum, under some television threads, people openly say things like, "Well, I bought this five months ago, but there is a better/newer unit out now so I'm going to return it and get the newer one." There is nothing wrong with their current one, but a newer one is available. You can do this forever, constantly upgrading your equipment. I think it's an abuse of a store policy. These stores are not in the business of renting merchandise, or as you put it, they are not allowing you to audition the equipment in your home for several months. The return policy says something like "completely satisfied" and some people are never satisfied I guess.



I am not positive, but I'm pretty sure that W-I and Gandhi are not registered with the BBB. I don't know about 110220volts and 220-electronics. I am sure that J&R and B&H are registered. They both have very good ratings with resellerratings, pricegrabber, nextag, etc.
post #74 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrytwo View Post

I am now waiting for the Panasonic repair facility in Elgin to fix the second unit, they are waiting for parts.

Interesting.....first I've heard that Elgin will repair non-U.S. Panny DVDRs. I assume you're having it done under the $130 flat-fee repair program?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrytwo View Post

Somehow static electricity from my hand to the unit when I was pressing the eject button caused some circuit board to fry.

I've often wondered if a particularly powerful static electricity discharge could do that on any piece of A/V gear, really. I've accidentally thrown some pretty loud "pops" through my receiver that way. Before I touch a knob in the wintertime, I try to remember to discharge any built-up charge beforehand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrytwo View Post

Oh, I have heard in the past that J&R has a very tough return policy. I haven't bought anything from them in a long time, so that no longer may be the case now.

Were/how were these guys related to the old chain of "J&R" chain of record stores?

At least I think it was a chain.....seem to remember at least several of them in the Chicago area back in the '80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

had a real ballbusting attitude

Over the years, I've had a couple girlfriends who had the same problem.....
post #75 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

I am not positive, but I'm pretty sure that W-I and Gandhi are not registered with the BBB. I don't know about 110220volts and 220-electronics. I am sure that J&R and B&H are registered. They both have very good ratings with resellerratings, pricegrabber, nextag, etc.

I've ordered 3 things from World-Import over the last 2 years, and service has been great on all 3. Fast shipping, got what I paid for. I originally wanted a region-free DVD player for my GF. I picked W-I specifically because they're close enough to where my parents live that if they tried to hose me, I could go to the actual store and complain during a trip "home." No problems, though. YMMV.
post #76 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

Yes and no. Its true they have historically had a real ballbusting attitude about returns: the unit has to be noticeably, demonstrably defective and even then their stated poilcy is to exchange or store credit only, no refunds. OTOH in recent years their shift to huge internet sales has forced them to be more flexible, and technically they know all credit card purchases are subject to chargebacks if they don't negotiate reasonably with disgruntled customers, so their return policy is now more in line with other vendors.

To a degree, you have to put this in context: J&R has been in business, slowly expanding, since the early 1970s. During their first 20 years, J&R was pretty much the only dealer in New York that both carried mid to high end product and heavily discounted it. An enormous number of unscrupulous buyers tried to take advantage of this by purchasing high-end stuff to "audition" and then return for refund (its disgusting how many "golden ears" types can't be bothered to patronize the saloons dedicated to serving them). So the draconian return policy was developed and enforced to counter this: another example of a few bad apples screwing up something good for everyone. In any case credit card purchase protections are much stronger today, and in the last ten years J&R has quadrupled in size which requires more flexibility, so you're covered (especially with refurbs like the Magnavox H2160). However, don't expect Wal*Mart-level return freedoms: you can easily return a truly defective recorder but certainly not 90 days after purchase and you can't re-exchange recorders five times looking for a "perfect" unit. J&R is a discount specialist for those who know exactly what they want and need, who don't expect to return something unless its grossly defective. Ditto B&H.

If you aren't comfortable unless you get an ultra-liberal anything-goes return policy, stick to Crutchfield or New Egg or Amazon.


Good points. The only thing I can add is B&H is the place to go if you *know* what you want. Give them the model number and go pay for it. Bing, bang, boom. They're better now than how they used to be. When they were down on Warren St. you had to fight with them to even see the product you wanted to buy, which was mostly camera equipment back then.
J&R is more of a traditional store where you can take some time to decide.
post #77 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 View Post

Were/how were these guys related to the old chain of "J&R" chain of record stores?

At least I think it was a chain.....seem to remember at least several of them in the Chicago area back in the '80s.



Different J&R. The NY J&R always advertises their one storefront and lack of expansion as a reason for their low prices. "Our one and only location" blah, blah blah.....
post #78 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Different J&R. The NY J&R always advertises their one storefront and lack of expansion as a reason for their low prices. "Our one and only location" blah, blah blah.....

A little advertising deception there, as well: the real reason for their low prices (at least initially) was that they tended to specialize in mid to high end gear that wasn't commonly available at discount (stuff like Denon and Yamaha that used to sell strictly at full retail list price before they became commodity blah brands). J&R would scoop up all remaining stock of about-to-be-discontinued models, critical info which no other store in the country was aware of, and undercut everyone else who was still selling them as "current". Also they got into the wholesale business early on, as a distributor to many smaller US regional electronics stores.

They staked out their niche in the early 70s as the go-to discount record (vinyl) store in the NY area. They had everything, and had it for at least a buck less than every other record store. They began as a second-floor location, mostly records, then added a small VCR/TV shop in the middle. Eventually they expanded down to take over the ground floor and then the basement of their original building. As time went on, they picked up the leases to every single storefront on their block, expanding into every imaginable video, audio, PC and entertainment sector. About five years ago they bought the corner lot, demolished what was there, and built a custom five story computer and videogame emporium. And they now have an uptown outpost in Macys Herald Square.

B&H was a different story. Back in the heyday of film photography, most of the gear in NYC (and the back pages of Popular Photography) was sold by independent, mostly Hasidic Jewish-owned stores, some near Wall Street, others concentrated in the midtown diamond/jewelry district. There were many of these, perhaps a half-dozen had the most clout and vied with each other for dominance. The rise of auto-focus auto-everything technology pretty much killed camera stores (and brought down most of the camera mfrs as well: talk about an ill-advised poison pill invention). Both photo districts evaporated practically overnight, with B&H the sole survivor (to this day I don't know how they did it: they were not the most liked by far). Out of the blue they moved to the far west of Macys and built a brand new gigantic headquarters, selling everything thing from photo gear to professional broadcast video suites. Some serious venture capital made that happen, no way did they just jump ten steps up the retail scale overnight by magic. Anyway they are now about the only pro photo and video supplier in New York City: love 'em or hate 'em, they've got everything. J&R is more consumer-oriented, with much less pro stuff on hand, though at least they do have showrooms: B&H is an enormous block-long facility staffed with nothing but order takers.

Two different "live" shopping experiences, but about the same for web shopping.
post #79 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

A little advertising deception there, as well: the real reason for their low prices (at least initially) was that they tended to specialize in mid to high end gear that wasn't commonly available at discount (stuff like Denon and Yamaha that used to sell strictly at full retail list price before they became commodity blah brands). J&R would scoop up all remaining stock of about-to-be-discontinued models, critical info which no other store in the country was aware of, and undercut everyone else who was still selling them as "current". Also they got into the wholesale business early on, as a distributor to many smaller US regional electronics stores.

They staked out their niche in the early 70s as the go-to discount record (vinyl) store in the NY area. They had everything, and had it for at least a buck less than every other record store. They began as a second-floor location, mostly records, then added a small VCR/TV shop in the middle. Eventually they expanded down to take over the ground floor and then the basement of their original building. As time went on, they picked up the leases to every single storefront on their block, expanding into every imaginable video, audio, PC and entertainment sector. About five years ago they bought the corner lot, demolished what was there, and built a custom five story computer and videogame emporium. And they now have an uptown outpost in Macys Herald Square.

B&H was a different story. Back in the heyday of film photography, most of the gear in NYC (and the back pages of Popular Photography) was sold by independent, mostly Hasidic Jewish-owned stores, some near Wall Street, others concentrated in the midtown diamond/jewelry district. There were many of these, perhaps a half-dozen had the most clout and vied with each other for dominance. The rise of auto-focus auto-everything technology pretty much killed camera stores (and brought down most of the camera mfrs as well: talk about an ill-advised poison pill invention). Both photo districts evaporated practically overnight, with B&H the sole survivor (to this day I don't know how they did it: they were not the most liked by far). Out of the blue they moved to the far west of Macys and built a brand new gigantic headquarters, selling everything thing from photo gear to professional broadcast video suites. Some serious venture capital made that happen, no way did they just jump ten steps up the retail scale overnight by magic. Anyway they are now about the only pro photo and video supplier in New York City: love 'em or hate 'em, they've got everything. J&R is more consumer-oriented, with much less pro stuff on hand, though at least they do have showrooms: B&H is an enormous block-long facility staffed with nothing but order takers.

Two different "live" shopping experiences, but about the same for web shopping.

You know your J&R history. After most of the midtown record stores closed up (remember the real Sam Goody and Colony stores?), J&R was the place to go in Manhattan- along with Goody's on the next block- for music. I give J&R credit for one thing. They kept trying and failing to sell higher end audio and video equipment when the snobs refused to buy anything from a discount store. I got a lot of great closeout deals on equipment that way.

Adorama is the only other big survivor from all the old Hasidic camera stores. What set them and B&H apart is honesty. The other dealers used to draw buyers in with extremely low prices, but they used to charge extra for all the accessories. So if you bought a camera and lens they would charge you extra for lens cap, camera strap or even the instruction manuals! Canon changed their lens mount from a breech lock to a bayonet lock and the stores charged $20+ extra for the "new" mount. And the grey market warranty vs. USA warranty is still a draw even today for those looking for a "deal".
B&H was the first to stop with all that crap. In the '80's they started including everything that came with the equipment in the purchase price. Adorama quickly did the same. It's no surprise they are still around while everyone else is gone. By the '90's and the internet these two were the only major camera stores left.
post #80 of 270
I was beginning to worry I had some sort of false memory syndrome, but a Google search took me to a history/nostalgia website for the now-demolished Lakehurst Mall (formerly of Waukegan IL), which lists "JR Music Shop" among its tenants. So at least the other JR I remember, with it's bright orange bags, really did exist!

RE: charging extra for stuff that should come with the product: Back in the early 70s my mom bought an electric popcorn popper from a local dept. store. She gets home, takes it out of the box and--no cord! She call the store.

SURLY CLERK: No, the cord's not missing. You have to buy it separately.
DOS's MOM (exasperated): OK, set one aside, I'll drop by and buy it next week.
SC: No, we can't.
DOS's MOM: Why not?
SC: We don't sell them.
post #81 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Adorama is the only other big survivor

I don't know how I forgot them! I still pass by on the street every few weeks, and used to get all my Fujichrome Velvia there. Pretty much the same operation they had thirty years ago, not bad: easier place than B&H to actually handle a few items before purchase, and if you catch them when they aren't mobbed the staff is a little friendlier. B&H is massive and impressive, but not the most pleasant in-person experience. They cater almost exclusively to two classes of customer: pros who aren't intimidated by their attitude, and foreign tourists who get their attention by waving wads of cash in their faces. B&H is a lot like the (in)famous Katz Deli: they act like they're doing you a huge favor by acknowledging your presence, and a huger favor by deigning to accept your money. Rarely, if ever, have I seen a B&H employee behave as if the customer wasn't a complete pest they'd rather not be bothered by. These places could get away with that nonsense back in the 1970s when photo gear was booming and they were offering steep discounts over traditional local camera shops, but B&H is long past that point: they're the big kahuna now, and really aren't giving any stupendous discounts anymore that would justify the attitude.

You know the old joke about the actress who "had a face suited to radio"? B&H and Adorama have a retail presence suited to online purchasing.
post #82 of 270
Dating myself here, but anybody remember 47th St Photo? An absolute ZOO back in the 1970s/early 1980s. Small aisles, tons of customers, not very helpful sales guys.

I bought everything from video games (for my Atari!) to boards and chips for my NEW IBM PC to Epson dot matrix printers for my office. What a trip.

Thanks for these posts. They brought back some nice memories.
post #83 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyean View Post

Dating myself here, but anybody remember 47th St Photo? An absolute ZOO back in the 1970s/early 1980s. Small aisles, tons of customers, not very helpful sales guys.

I bought everything from video games (for my Atari!) to boards and chips for my NEW IBM PC to Epson dot matrix printers for my office. What a trip.

Thanks for these posts. They brought back some nice memories.



47 St was the biggest for a while in the '80's but they over expanded and went under. I also seem to remember something about the owners getting arrested and getting led out in handcuffs!
post #84 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

I don't know how I forgot them! I still pass by on the street every few weeks, and used to get all my Fujichrome Velvia there. Pretty much the same operation they had thirty years ago, not bad: easier place than B&H to actually handle a few items before purchase, and if you catch them when they aren't mobbed the staff is a little friendlier. B&H is massive and impressive, but not the most pleasant in-person experience. They cater almost exclusively to two classes of customer: pros who aren't intimidated by their attitude, and foreign tourists who get their attention by waving wads of cash in their faces. B&H is a lot like the (in)famous Katz Deli: they act like they're doing you a huge favor by acknowledging your presence, and a huger favor by deigning to accept your money. Rarely, if ever, have I seen a B&H employee behave as if the customer wasn't a complete pest they'd rather not be bothered by. These places could get away with that nonsense back in the 1970s when photo gear was booming and they were offering steep discounts over traditional local camera shops, but B&H is long past that point: they're the big kahuna now, and really aren't giving any stupendous discounts anymore that would justify the attitude.

You know the old joke about the actress who "had a face suited to radio"? B&H and Adorama have a retail presence suited to online purchasing.



I used to live near both Adorama and B+H when they were on 17th St. so I would give them both a lot of my film business (ahh, Velvia ) before going out on a shoot. I got pretty friendly with the Adorama guys. They would give me promo items from manufacturers and extra special deals on equipment and film. I never got one thing from B+H. They were a lot less friendly and there was even a bigger turnover of their sales help. I guess when you're #1 you don't have to try too hard.

I don't think B+H even sell film anymore, BTW.
post #85 of 270
Thread Starter 
B&H still sells film, online at least. Besides 35mm and sheet film, they have other sizes like 120, 220, 127, 620 and 828!

I wish I still had that 620 folding bellows camera that my father handed down to me when I was a kid, that I took my first pictures with. It would be kind of cool to try it out again with color film which I could never afford back then!

I'd probably have to take my Nikon D80 along to use for a light meter.
post #86 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post

I wish I still had that 620 folding bellows camera that my father handed down to me when I was a kid, that I took my first pictures with. It would be kind of cool to try it out again with color film which I could never afford back then!

You may not be able to have the actual camera Dad gave you, but with eBay in the world, you may be able to get another 620 and relive the feeling!
post #87 of 270
Getting back to the Panny E69/E59, I have a question. Obviously they are region-free for playback, but what about for recorded DVDs? If we get some worldwide version aimed at Middle East or somesuch (ie, region 2 like previously discussed), then when we make DVDs on them, will they be playable by others, or locked into region 2? As a videographer in the US, I have no need for USA compatible tuner, but need to know my discs will be playable by any client I give them to.

Thanks, this thread has been very informative.
post #88 of 270
Thread Starter 
I popped a disc from my EH68 into my Mac and checked it with the MyDVDedit application. It shows the disc as flagged for all regions. I expect all consumer DVD recorders are like this, because the DVD region-coding system is purely for the benefit of commercial movie studios.
post #89 of 270
Excellent, that's what I figured. For the record, I ordered an EH69 from J&R, but it was incorrectly stated to be 120/220v on the site, and turned out to be 220/240 when I opened it. So I RMA'd it and got a used EH67 from B&H. Again, the website indicated 120/240v, but it arrived as a GA-K version with 220/240 only. Now I'm trying again with J&R on a different model and it should arrive in a few days. I'm getting the impression that staff at these places don't know all the little suffixes and what they mean in terms of which power they are designed for. I wanted them to open it to check before sending it, but they aren't allowed to. I would have been willing to prepay even, but no dice. I should have pushed it up the chain and gotten a manager on the phone and made that happen -- I suspect I'm going to wind up with yet another 220/240 model.

I guess if there truly aren't any 120v capable ones out there, I have a step-up transformer to get them working. Would prefer not to have to lug that around on a cart that's already getting heavy enough.

All this to get firewire input and 16X burn speed, which are big bumps up from my E80 and E85.
post #90 of 270
Did you actually try the unit before sending it back? The DMR-EH59 I ordered from B&H was listed as 220/240 in the manual and on the unit, but runs fine on US 120.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Recorders (Standard Def)
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Availability of Panasonic DMR-EH59/69 in USA?