or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo 807 the right choice for my setup?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo 807 the right choice for my setup?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Based on the research I've done on this forum, I thought I had decided.

Then when "pitching" the home theatre upgrade to the wife she just shrugged (which now gives me carte blanche).

So I'll send the question out to review from the experts.

I am upgrading the home theatre receiver from an older Denon (10+ year old AVR-87) which I've never really been happy with. I have decided on a sub already with assistance from a helpful AVSForum member (Energy ESW-V10) to go along with my Paradigm Phantom fronts, Paradigm center, and off-brand surrounds (they're Aiwa but actually sound all right to me - this isn't a discussion on the surrounds... yet). I'm also adding in a PS3 into the mix for blu-ray.

I thought I had decided on the Onkyo TX-NR807 for the receiver upgrade. The main reasons I picked this receiver were as follows.
1) The price was about what I wanted to spend.
2) 135 watts (not that big of a deal I know).
3) Network (this was huge for me as I currently have to use an HTPC for internet radio and my favorite station is supported by vTuner) - super bonus is the on-screen display when playing an internet radio station.

I also have a little bit of a strange setup as the receiver needs to be able to drive a separate pair of outdoor speakers on my patio and a stereo speaker in the bathroom. The patio speakers don't necessarily need to be a separate source (as when we're using the patio we're not watching TV/movies). Right now the patio speakers (and the bathroom speaker) are running through a speaker selector which allows me to turn each set on or off depending on the listening situation.

So first, I want to verify that the SR807 will be appropriate for the setup that I've got and still give 5.1 sound when needed. Second, I was thinking about all that I've read on the forum about separate highs and wides and was wondering if I wanted to try to take advantage of this new configuration.

Would there be a better fit than the NR807 for what I'm looking for? Maybe the NR1007? I'd really like to have a 7.1 configuration (is that the right terminology if I'm running 5.1 with wides/highs) and have a separate set of speakers for the patio/bathroom speakers.

Is the NR807 still the right choice? I'm willing to pay a bit more (<$1500 for the receiver) to get me the configuration / sound quality that I'm looking for. Any other advice you can provide or is there additional information that I can provide to help you make a recommendation?

I'm open to all brands and models at this point. It's just that I believe the NR807 is about the right fit for my situation.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments, concerns, etc.?

Much thanks in advance.
post #2 of 9
Thread Starter 
No thoughts or questions? Maybe nobody wants to read all of those words (I'm wordy).

20 second synopsis...

Can a 7.1 receiver power a 7.1 speaker setup with a separate pair of zone 2 speakers simultaneously? Or do I need to buy a 9.1 receiver to get that functionality?

Thanks again :-)
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarken View Post

No thoughts or questions? Maybe nobody wants to read all of those words (I'm wordy).

20 second synopsis...

Can a 7.1 receiver power a 7.1 speaker setup with a separate pair of zone 2 speakers simultaneously? Or do I need to buy a 9.1 receiver to get that functionality?

Thanks again :-)

if the second zone s powered then yes 9.x
if unpowered then yes most AVR's can send a independent signal (usually analog only source) to another amplifier 7.x
post #4 of 9
hi,

is it possible to run the 807 in 9.1 (7.1+ dolby IIz) mode with a external power amplifier ?
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterryo View Post

if the second zone s powered then yes 9.x
if unpowered then yes most AVR's can send a independent signal (usually analog only source) to another amplifier 7.x

Thank you sterryo, that pretty much answered my question. Although I think I asked it incorrectly. By "simultaneously", I didn't necessarily mean two sources at the same time.

I meant, can I switch between the two setups? 7.1 for movies, then change to 5.1 + zone 2 when I want to be outside listening to music. Without changing wiring each time. I've been reading the manual for the 807 and it just isn't very clear to me.

But thanks for the help any way. Maybe I just need to go talk to someone about this unit.
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by taubenspikes View Post

hi,

is it possible to run the 807 in 9.1 (7.1+ dolby IIz) mode with a external power amplifier ?

No you would have to go to the 1007 unit to be able to do that (no external amp needed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarken View Post

Thank you sterryo, that pretty much answered my question. Although I think I asked it incorrectly. By "simultaneously", I didn't necessarily mean two sources at the same time.

I meant, can I switch between the two setups? 7.1 for movies, then change to 5.1 + zone 2 when I want to be outside listening to music. Without changing wiring each time. I've been reading the manual for the 807 and it just isn't very clear to me.

But thanks for the help any way. Maybe I just need to go talk to someone about this unit.

I was never able to do that with my 606 even though I was not using the receiver on the main room. Maybe it is possible with the 807 but some how I doubt it. Probably you will have to step up to the 1007 or get an amp for it
post #7 of 9
thank you. actually i am running only 5.1, but i am not sure if 7.1 make sense or should i take the two rears as dolby highz. any suggestion ?
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by taubenspikes View Post

thank you. actually i am running only 5.1, but i am not sure if 7.1 make sense or should i take the two rears as dolby highz. any suggestion ?

You can try both and see wich set up you like the most Play with it and see what you like the most.
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quino27, thanks for the answers. I think I'm just going to go with the 807 and pick up a stereo amp for the zone 2 speakers. Enough with over-thinking it. I just need to buy and listen!

Any thoughts or suggestions for a stereo amp that will be driving the zone 2 speakers? I'd like to stick to the $200 or less price range (basically half of the price difference between the 807 and the 1007 - maybe a few bucks more if needed). I searched around on the forums here but couldn't find any recent entries.

This maybe?
AMP200 Dual Source, Two-Channel 250W High Definition Amplifier (OSD-MI5) from outdoor speaker depot (am I not supposed to submit links or is that just since I'm a new member?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo 807 the right choice for my setup?