Originally Posted by schmidtwi
$417.50 is a great price for this pj. Go ahead and open the box, you will like. :-)
I'm embarrassed to admit that I posted and ran and forgot to follow-up. So I did decide to keep the Acer and am most impressed with it, especially considering the low cost I paid.Pros
- It is much, much brighter than my old Marantz - even in eco mode, I can leave all the lights on in my basement and still have a perfectly fine image for watching football.
- Colors are all brighter and more crisp, as well
- It is almost silent in eco mode, much quieter than the old Marantz.Downsides
- Black levels are less dark, but OK - I've never been one of these guys who crave blacks so deep you could dive into them.
- Using it with my HTPC (which I'm doing right now) text appears more pixellated.
- Input selection keeps auto-flipping through all possible sources when I use my HDMI switch box to go from HTPC to satellite box, making me have to manually select HDMI again after it decides to display in S-video.
- It's a longer zoom than my old Marantz, so I'm going to have to move my ceiling mount back about 15" to get the display to fill my 110" screen.
- It's sucking up a lot of extra cash on a new video card, new HDMI 1.4 cable and switch box, nVida 3d Vision and extra glasses so I can do 3D.
Overall, I'm very pleased with it thus far.