or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-83SE Analog Audio Discussion Only Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-83SE Analog Audio Discussion Only Thread - Page 9

post #241 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

The Pure Direct mode turns off the display (OSD and front panel), surround, and tone circuits. Yes no processing.

And don't forget, it also turns off bass management. If your system consists of 2-channel monitors coupled to a subwoofer, say goodbye to your subwoofer.
post #242 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Assuming you have a fairly standard sub unit with speaker-level inputs, why not use them? This allows you to maintain an analog->analog signal path and have bass management too. Just be aware that using stereo analog inputs on your AVR *may* force an A-D conversion and know how to get around that if you can. (direct mode, m-ch inputs, etc.)

RDGRIMES: That's an excellent idea. Of course Velodyne (my sub) recommends first the RCA connector/cable/LFE input to any user who in fact has a SW/LFE output jack on his receiver or pre/pro, but speaker connections and a built-in varible (80hz to 120 hz)crossover (purely analog) are also provided (as they should be at the more than $1000 price of this Velodyne SPL subwoofer).

Going this route may provide another benefit: use of "Pure Direct Mode" on my Marantz 6003 receiver. Until now I've used the "Stereo" mode, as Pure Direct would also cut out the bass management.

My only question would be: what's the downside? Although having excellent 2-channel stereo is more important to me than the surround, nonetheless the surround and center channel are excellent for movies. Were I to run my left and right speaker wires directly to the subwoofer and the subwoofer speaker outs to the left and right monitors, would I be limiting myself in other ways?

Would I be correct in assuming that when I place the receiver in 2-channel stereo mode, the digital circuits are shut down, but they are active again when I switch to movie/surround mode. If so, then the Oppo-83SE would make sense, as 2-channel stereo would maintain an analog audio path.

Thanks again for your suggestion.
post #243 of 5806
Anyone having success redirecting the LFE to their main front left and right speakers via the analog outputs? I could not find much information on the official BDP-83 thread, and none here.

I have stereo subs up front (I'm using a Vandersteen speaker setup with 2W subs). I would rather not use a separate sub solely for LFE. I emailed Oppo support and they replied:

1. We can redirect the bass from the surrounds, but not from the LFE.

2. LFE redirection will likely not occur [such as in a future FW upgrade], as this is against the Dolby Digital and DTS decoding scehemes for DVD/Blu-ray players.


Is this correct? I am seriously considering the 83SE or even the NuForce edition (pending reviews), but it would be ideal if the LFE could be redirected to the mains. My subs are fantastic down to 20Hz... and having 2 subs does help smooth out the bass. The 2Ws are not as "thumpy" as a lot of subs, but I love the silky smooth lows they produce.

fteixeira
post #244 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by haverbach View Post

...So, anyone who uses smaller/monitor front speakers coupled with a subwoofer, and who utilizes the "base management" function of their AVR or Pre/Pro will gain NOTHING from the new 83SE....

Until someone does a comparison, and as expressed in the other thread by Bob Pariseau, you shouldn't just blindly state that. Depending upon the capability of your AVR or pre/pro, there may/could be an audible advantage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

...Is this not possible on the Oppo?....

It's possible, but the bass management built into the Oppo player, one that is not upgraded with the SE, is somewhat limited. It has a fixed crossover point that some of us can not use, and does speaker distancing in pairs, so your setup needs to be symmetrical about the listening seat. Most AVRs will give very selectable bass management that allows tailoring to your specific needs.
post #245 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by haverbach View Post

And don't forget, it also turns off bass management....

That's what he meant by tone circuits...the bass management, EQ and room correction.
post #246 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by fteixeira View Post

...Is this correct?....

If written by their CS, I would imagine it to be correct due to the licensing. From the manual: "Off - Speaker for the corresponding position does not exist. Audio for the missing speaker is
redirected to other speakers or discarded if redirection is not possible." The "if redirection is not possible" terminology seems to mean what they wrote back to you. Since the setup doesn't differentiate between steering bass to the subwoofer or the LFE to the subwoofer, setting the sub as Off will negate the LFE channel of any .1 disc.
post #247 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

If written by their CS, I would imagine it to be correct due to the licensing.

Thanks Jim. It just seems unfortunate since the customer who would be most interested in the enhancements of the 83SE or NF edition will mostly likely have a very capable stereo setup with higher-end full range front speakers. It would be nice to have the option of taking advantage of those capable speakers, by redirecting the .1 LFE for surround sound music and movies.

Even so, I am anxiously waiting for the first reviews to surface.

fteixeira
post #248 of 5806
I haven't read everything and may have missed it, if it were mentioned.

will the SE version have updated firmware to offer better bass management?
I run everything as full range so I don't have to boost LFE an additional +5 dB. I would be nice to set distances of speakers individually. My setup is relatively close to being symmetrical so it's not huge but would be nice.

The Pioneer 51FD and Sony S550 both have these options (which I've had in the past).

I'm really looking forward to some reviews as my Aragon Stage One is another pre/pro that is an analog pass thru on it's multi ch input.

I think the stock Oppo sounds great in all it's analog aspect, it's probably a little bass heavy on the 2 ch side IMO.
post #249 of 5806
But, your AVR may redirect the LFE channel to left and right if you set the sub to Off, and then wire your left and right through the subs.
post #250 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaceab View Post

I haven't read everything and may have missed it, if it were mentioned.

will the SE version have updated firmware to offer better bass management?

There's no difference between the SE and standard model with respect to BM and speaker setup.
post #251 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by haverbach View Post

And don't forget, it also turns off bass management. If your system consists of 2-channel monitors coupled to a subwoofer, say goodbye to your subwoofer.

not worried about it for my 2ch tower setup.
post #252 of 5806
I did get a reply to one of my E-Mails. Heres what Nuforce said.

Q - I asked about break-in time to reach max performance.
A - "break-in time is subjective. But for all high-end electronics, we typically recommend > 70 hours"

Q - who handles the warranty.
A - "Nuforce handles the warranty even though it is covered by OPPO and Nuforce"

ss
post #253 of 5806
Count me as another anxiously awaiting the first real reviews. Seems like a VERY good deal if it does improve the 2 channel. As far as the issues raised about bass management, not an issue for me - I've always been set to "large" on everything, and allow my pre/pro do the BM & EQ - I'll "risk" the extra A/D-D/A coversion to gain the benefits. I'd love to hear some of the early upgraders opinions as to the improvements under these circumstances.

Tempted to just box it up and send it in anyway
post #254 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by fteixeira View Post

Anyone having success redirecting the LFE to their main front left and right speakers via the analog outputs? I could not find much information on the official BDP-83 thread, and none here.

I have stereo subs up front (I'm using a Vandersteen speaker setup with 2W subs). I would rather not use a separate sub solely for LFE. I emailed Oppo support and they replied:

1. We can redirect the bass from the surrounds, but not from the LFE.

2. LFE redirection will likely not occur [such as in a future FW upgrade], as this is against the Dolby Digital and DTS decoding scehemes for DVD/Blu-ray players.


Is this correct? I am seriously considering the 83SE or even the NuForce edition (pending reviews), but it would be ideal if the LFE could be redirected to the mains. My subs are fantastic down to 20Hz... and having 2 subs does help smooth out the bass. The 2Ws are not as "thumpy" as a lot of subs, but I love the silky smooth lows they produce.

fteixeira

I have been running my Vandy 5A based setup (with 2wq's on the rear surrounds) in a 5.0 setup with great results using a Sony BDP-S1 and a Sony XA-777es as sources. I have ordered the NuForce edition. It's not clear to me whether the BDP-83 will handle LFE information differently than my BDP-S1. I've always been under the impression that the Sony was redirecting the information from the LFE channel to the front channels. If the bass from the Oppo doesn't measure up to my current setup, I guess it's either back to the drawing board or add a Fathom sub or two to the LFE channel.
post #255 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post

I am wondering if different/better op-amps are used on the analog board in the SE edition compared to the standard version. Would be interesting to compare the pictures of both audio boards side by side.

You can compare the audio board from the standard 83 and the 83SE. The latter looks cleaner and seems to use heavier copper probably for better shielding and conductivity. This should help maintain the super low noise levels of the ESS DACs.
LL
LL
post #256 of 5806
After digging a little deeper about how the BDP-83SE Nuforce Edition is made. Here is what I have found out.

It seems that Nuforce SE boards are reworked at Nuforce's factory production line one batch at a time to ensure quality and testing.

ss
post #257 of 5806
Interesting statement from MUSIDIRECT misleading advertising?

"Video performance is also improved, with deeper black levels and greater image stability thanks to the various improvements to the power supply"
All the upgrades to the digital section and the analog section required some substantial changes to the power supply; this new, larger better regulated power supply feeds the BDP-83 SE cleaner power, delivering deeper and blacker backgrounds, with explosive dynamic range, giving the music room to breathe and expand into your room.

The BDP-83 SE takes that video performance even further, using the much lauded VRS chipset from Anchor Bay. Smoother, cleaner and more true-to-life than any other chipset we've seen, ....


http://www.musicdirect.com/product/86460
post #258 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Interesting statement from MUSIDIRECT misleading advertising?

"Video performance is also improved, with deeper black levels and greater image stability thanks to the various improvements to the power supply"
All the upgrades to the digital section and the analog section required some substantial changes to the power supply; this new, larger better regulated power supply feeds the BDP-83 SE cleaner power, delivering deeper and blacker backgrounds, with explosive dynamic range, giving the music room to breathe and expand into your room.

The BDP-83 SE takes that video performance even further, using the much lauded VRS chipset from Anchor Bay. Smoother, cleaner and more true-to-life than any other chipset we've seen, ....


http://www.musicdirect.com/product/86460


Not necessarily, just a lot of audiophile claims. It is not an untrue statement, they have upgraded the powersupply, now whether it will or not provide the gains the ad claims, that will be interesting to see and hear.
post #259 of 5806
I was just about to purchase the "standard" BDP-83, and the comments made by Music Direct (who I have always previously found to be honest and accurate) are the only reason I would consider buying the SE version. Video improvements of significance are the only aspect that would benefit me, as I would be using this strictly as a Blu Ray player, and for dvd upscaling.

I cannot rule out the possibility that a superior power supply could result in what is claimed. We shall see. I hope this information can be verified soon, as I will need a new player within a maximum of 30 days.


John

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Interesting statement from MUSIDIRECT misleading advertising?

"Video performance is also improved, with deeper black levels and greater image stability thanks to the various improvements to the power supply"
All the upgrades to the digital section and the analog section required some substantial changes to the power supply; this new, larger better regulated power supply feeds the BDP-83 SE cleaner power, delivering deeper and blacker backgrounds, with explosive dynamic range, giving the music room to breathe and expand into your room.

The BDP-83 SE takes that video performance even further, using the much lauded VRS chipset from Anchor Bay. Smoother, cleaner and more true-to-life than any other chipset we've seen, ....


http://www.musicdirect.com/product/86460
post #260 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post

I was just about to purchase the "standard" BDP-83, and the comments made by Music Direct (who I have always previously found to be honest and accurate) are the only reason I would consider buying the SE version. Video improvements of significance are the only aspect that would benefit me, as I would be using this strictly as a Blu Ray player, and for dvd upscaling.

I cannot rule out the possibility that a superior power supply could result in what is claimed. We shall see. I hope this information can be verified soon, as I will need a new player within a maximum of 30 days.


John

Note carefully that Oppo makes no such claim.

It is not Oppo pushing this idea.
--Bob
post #261 of 5806
Quote:


After digging a little deeper about how the BDP-83SE Nuforce Edition is made. Here is what I have found out.

It seems that Nuforce uses a new audio board, manufactured to there higher end specs, but in keeping with the audio board that is In the BDP-83SE specs to the degree that you should have np with any firmware updates from Oppo.

This is incorrect. A customer called and asked about how we upgrade the Nuforce Edition. I told him that the original SE boards are reworked at Nuforce's factory production line one batch at a time to ensure quality and testing. Perhaps this is how it was misinterpreted.
post #262 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuforce-jason View Post

This is incorrect. A customer called and asked about how we upgrade the Nuforce Edition. I told him that the original SE boards are reworked at Nuforce's factory production line one batch at a time to ensure quality and testing. Perhaps this is how it was misinterpreted.

Yes I did misinterpreted what you said, I thought you said It was a new board built at Nuforce factory production line. What through me off was when you said it wasn't some guy making modifications one board at a time. And that your audio board was being produced in large lots of say 100.

I am sorry for the misunderstanding, but now we have it right. I will edit my posts.

Thanks, and looking forward to my new BDP-83 SE Nuforce Edition.

ss
post #263 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuforce-jason View Post

This is incorrect. A customer called and asked about how we upgrade the Nuforce Edition. I told him that the original SE boards are reworked at Nuforce's factory production line one batch at a time to ensure quality and testing. Perhaps this is how it was misinterpreted.

Thanks for joining our discussion Jason.
I would say welcome to AVS, but it looks like you've been registered for a while.

Your website seems a bit vague on details of exactly how the Nu Force Edition of the BDP-83 differs from OPPO's SE version.
Can you provide us with the low down on that?
In other words, how exactly is the NFE $400 better than the SE?

Thanks
post #264 of 5806
When you try to order the 83SE upgrade, the first page has a radio button - "Credit for Standard Shipping" or "- (+US$ 18.00)".

What are they trying to allow me to select here? In the text they say I pay for shipping the original unit back, and they pay for shipping the upgraded unit to me. So what is this selection all about?
Roy
post #265 of 5806
Quote:


Video performance is also improved, with deeper black levels and greater image stability thanks to the various improvements to the power supply.

. . .

All the upgrades to the digital section and the analog section required some substantial changes to the power supply; this new, larger better regulated power supply feeds the BDP-83 SE cleaner power, delivering deeper and blacker backgrounds, with explosive dynamic range, giving the music room to breathe and expand into your room.

The highlighted statements above are just plain silly.

The player puts out a signal which is defined to mean "black". The *DISPLAY* determines how many nits of light output will result from displaying a "black" signal. There's nothing any player, regardless of power supply, can do to alter how a given display implements that.
--Bob
post #266 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmongiovi View Post

When you try to order the 83SE upgrade, the first page has a radio button - "Credit for Standard Shipping" or "- (+US$ 18.00)".

What are they trying to allow me to select here? In the text they say I pay for shipping the original unit back, and they pay for shipping the upgraded unit to me. So what is this selection all about?
Roy

My interpretation is that they are giving you a shipping credit for you shipping them the player.
If you select the -$18 selection, then your upgrade price is reduced by $18 in the cart.
Why there is actually an option that forfeits the $18 credit, is a mystery to me.

When OPPO says that you are responsible for shipping the player to them, that is correct. Apparently they do not expect you to have to pay for that shipping with your own money though.
This method would be in lieu of sending out a prepaid label type scenario.
Instead of sending a label, they just give you a credit.

If you are able to insure and ship the player for $18 (most likely), then the total upgrade cost is still only $299 (+ CA tax if applicable).
post #267 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuforce-jason View Post

This is incorrect. A customer called and asked about how we upgrade the Nuforce Edition. I told him that the original SE boards are reworked at Nuforce's factory production line one batch at a time to ensure quality and testing. Perhaps this is how it was misinterpreted.

Jason, can you explain if there is any changes to HDMI
post #268 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

You can compare the audio board from the standard 83 and the 83SE. The latter looks cleaner and seems to use heavier copper probably for better shielding and conductivity. This should help maintain the super low noise levels of the ESS DACs.

nice pics, so any shots showing what theyve done to improve on the power supply side of things ?
post #269 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Thanks for joining our discussion Jason.
I would say welcome to AVS, but it looks like you've been registered for a while.

Your website seems a bit vague on details of exactly how the Nu Force Edition of the BDP-83 differs from OPPO's SE version.
Can you provide us with the low down on that?
In other words, how exactly is the NFE $400 better than the SE?

Thanks

Thanks, we have been member for a while but have been very shy of posting on this forum to avoid being seen as advertising for stuff. We have posted additional FAQ to provide some answers. Please visit the our website (AVS forum doesn't allow me to post URL here).

We use Marantz SA-7 ($7000 MSRP) as our reference (and it still is) when we compared BDP-83, BDP-83SE, NuForce Edition, CDP-8 and other players. It is our policy not to name competitors in our comparison. Oppo is not our competitor (BDP-83SE is very good and most people do not need the NuForce Edition) and in the FAQ we offer our brief and subjective opinion. The comparison focuses more on the technical differences with some audiophile comment.

Sure, we can say a lot but we rather not since we are a manufacture. Our job is to present the facts and the rest is up to the reviewers or forum members. We try to stay out of discussions.
post #270 of 5806
Will there be a toroidal transfo in the special edition.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-83SE Analog Audio Discussion Only Thread