or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Paradigm Upgrade?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Paradigm Upgrade?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Its time for a speaker upgrade. When I purchased my Paradigm V5 monitors, I was living in an apartment. I have the titans and cc-290 for my front stage, and I am using mini monitors in the rear stage.Everything is on stands. It was ok for my apartment,but now I am in a house.Basement is finished with full bar and its pretty open. Just got the Arcam AVR 600 also to replace my Onkyo 605. Now I need to find some new Paradigms to go with this. I do not know the dimensions of the basement off hand. Floorstanders this time, and for my rear channel,I am going to get surrounds this time. System is used mostly for watching Blu Rays and Videogaming. What should I take a look at? Thanks for thehelp. John
post #2 of 17
Budget? Only Paradigms? That Arcam is a pretty beef receiver, If its in your budget look at the Paradigm Sig series, theres many other great speaker brands out there too, Monitor Audio, B&W, Axioms very similar too the Paradigm studio series sound wise. What ever brand of speakers you get, for sub I would look at SVS, Epik, and depending on budget Seaton Submersive. Post budget and you'll get some good recommendations.
post #3 of 17
Wow talk about a major upgrade from the Onkyo 605 to a $5000 Arcam! Please tell me your not going to put a HTIB or cheaper <$1000ea speakers with that big amp?
post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 
No HTIB getting hooked up to the Arcam, lol.
I finally had the chance to buy the gear that I wanted.
Now time for speaker upgrade. I have $4500 right now burning a hole in my pocket. Just want to pick the right speakers for my new setup. Thanks for all the help.
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardz View Post

No HTIB getting hooked up to the Arcam, lol.
I finally had the chance to buy the gear that I wanted.
Now time for speaker upgrade. I have $4500 right now burning a hole in my pocket. Just want to pick the right speakers for my new setup. Thanks for all the help.

well $4500 won't get you very far within the Paradigm Signature lineup. Perhaps you should look at Studio 100 v5 with a CC-690 v5. But if you can up your budget a bit the Signature series is a nice step up.
post #6 of 17
Yep, signature might be a stretch without another mortgage... but worth it.

- Dana Abboud
post #7 of 17
the new SE series speakers out from paradigm look promising. HERE.

they are a combination of the monitor and studio line. look very nice and may be able to trade in your old paradigms on the new ones. at least my dealer offers trade ins. ymmv. good luck with whatever you decide!
post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
I know my dealer will take a trade in on my old Paradigms.
I'll look into the SE line. I am open to other suggestions besides Paradigms.
If I can save some cash buying a different brand and get great sound,I am all up for that.
post #9 of 17
As mentioned earlier, if you like the Paradigm sound you could take look at Axioms lineup.Very similar sounding for less money than the Studio series.Monitor Audios are also nice.If you want to trade your digms' with your dealer that's OK too, just compare costs to selling yours privately and going with a different brand,may work out better.
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1nels View Post

As mentioned earlier, if you like the Paradigm sound you could take look at Axioms lineup.Very similar sounding for less money than the Studio series.Monitor Audios are also nice.If you want to trade your digms' with your dealer that's OK too, just compare costs to selling yours privately and going with a different brand,may work out better.

good point f1. the resale value on paradigms hold pretty well so be sure to consider all options. i have not heard the axioms personally, but have heard good reviews around various sites.
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardz View Post

Its time for a speaker upgrade. When I purchased my Paradigm V5 monitors, I was living in an apartment. I have the titans and cc-290 for my front stage, and I am using mini monitors in the rear stage.Everything is on stands. It was ok for my apartment,but now I am in a house.Basement is finished with full bar and its pretty open. Just got the Arcam AVR 600 also to replace my Onkyo 605. Now I need to find some new Paradigms to go with this. I do not know the dimensions of the basement off hand. Floorstanders this time, and for my rear channel,I am going to get surrounds this time. System is used mostly for watching Blu Rays and Videogaming. What should I take a look at? Thanks for thehelp. John

Are you just replacing your Mains/Front Three??? If only those, I would recomend maybe a tower in the Studio range like 60 or 100 w/matching center. You could probably get away with using the mini monitors as surrounds with upgrading the mains in a theater only situation unless your getting into any multi channel music formats. Although many would argue otherwise I have yet to hear any distractiing sonic results when mixing random speakers in the surround and rear surround channels with non matching Mains.(I don't do multi channel music). I am currently doing this until I can afford some Paradigm in-walls to complete a 7.1 system. I currently have monitor 7 v.6's with a cc190 due to financial constraints.

My first choice upon tons of demoing would have been a studio tower.(that being said Im very happy with the monitor 7's for what they are.) Anyhoo, before I digress, If you are willing to upgrade mains and center only, this could give you more monetary leverage to get the studio 60's or higher with a matching center.

I've had some experiance listening to ID brands too like Aperion and SV Sound. Got family members that have gone that route. Again If money was no issue, Aperion 6T towers are solid competition to the Monitor studio series. Their a little utilitarian with asthetics but they sound damn good.

.02cents and then some

AK
post #12 of 17
The SVS MTS series is a good choice, the full size 5.1 with pb13 ultra is $4099.00 plus shipping. Read nothing but great reviews. But if you really like the Paradigm sound the Axioms are Studio series sound at monitor series prices. Many different veneers and real wood choices too. If you can squeeze it in 3 Axiom M80s across the front with the QS8s as surrounds, then just add a sub.
post #13 of 17
I've listened to the Studio 60s & 100s recently and just had the opportunity to hear the Salk SongTowers. I would definitely recommend seeing if someone has them around your area and taking a few minutes to audition them.
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post

I've listened to the Studio 60s & 100s recently and just had the opportunity to hear the Salk SongTowers. I would definitely recommend seeing if someone has them around your area and taking a few minutes to audition them.

So what is your opinion comparing the studio 100 to SongTower?
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfale View Post

So what is your opinion comparing the studio 100 to SongTower?

I wasn't able to compare them side by side and the Paradigms were about a week before the STs so it's a little hard to say. Most people have opted the STs over the 100s. On Tuesday I'm going to listen to both in the same day and I'll have a much better idea. As for now I'd give the nod to the STs on sound, especially bass, and on price as well.
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post

I wasn't able to compare them side by side and the Paradigms were about a week before the STs so it's a little hard to say. Most people have opted the STs over the 100s. On Tuesday I'm going to listen to both in the same day and I'll have a much better idea. As for now I'd give the nod to the STs on sound, especially bass, and on price as well.

Totally different sounding speakers man...


But one thing the ST's do NOT hit harder than the Studio 100's. This is the one complaint people have with the ST's (but they are not exactly light on the bass either). They are just very different speakers. Different strokes for different folks.
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Looking to replace front three and also get a real surround sound speaker for the rear channel.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Paradigm Upgrade?