or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp 52" LC-52SB57UN Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp 52" LC-52SB57UN Owners Thread - Page 2

post #31 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by umx View Post

so any idea. why it seems like the objects in movie move so smooth that it looks wierd? does it on cable tv to

Turn off "Fine Motion Enhanced" and set "Film Mode" to "Standard" and your issue should go away.
post #32 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielh1979 View Post

The dynamic fixed mode (store) looks pretty good IMO. What do you guys think?

That mode is only for attracting buyer's at the store. I could never watch a TV at home setup that way. You must have a very bright TV viewing room if you like that dynamic mode.

I would guess 90% of the users on this site (AV Science) would never use dynamic mode. Seems to be most users here calibrate their displays.

This TV is the first TV I have used that will use considerable less power when calibrated. The Dynamic mode will use > 260watts while enabling standard mode and Advanced power savings with a dim room will use < 90 watts.
post #33 of 300
can only do off, advance high or low for film mode.. since its hdmi thru the pc.. Standard is got a circle with a line thru it like can not choose
post #34 of 300
goodness...i picked this up this weekend(46), havent opened box yet but geez seems like a bigger hassle than every other set ive had combined. hope its not as big a pain in the butt as it seems here
post #35 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbicich View Post

goodness...i picked this up this weekend(46), havent opened box yet but geez seems like a bigger hassle than every other set ive had combined. hope its not as big a pain in the butt as it seems here

I dont think so... To me its just making sure you get the best out of the panel.
post #36 of 300
Thread Starter 
Since this tv has so many different settings, I am reserving my final rating until i have messed with all the settings, I would suggest that some do also.

With all display devices ambient light causes havoc with refections, as does anything that can reflect light like the ceiling. That why some paint everything black or buy blackout curtains and use furniture that is dark. For some this is simple changes, others or their spouses will not like it.

With everything there is give and take.

If you post information can you add the data source (BD, HD, NTSC DVD, OTA), then can you add the resolution that is displayed by the tv, it will be seen if you hit the display button, (ntsc, 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p).

Also there are other preferences that can effect the picture the AV mode can range from cinema, custom, ect, these are presets of a viewing flavor that are common to the tvs. Similar to the Zoom, Stretch functions.

Ideally all upscaling should be done by the data source and not done by the tv.
Every conversion of the data is going to introduce noise and processing into the final product.

If SD content looks bad then something maybe wrong with your setup, but you need to try to find out if it is something else not the tv, if you want.

Can you other owners mute the tv and listen for a low level buzzing, I was getting that no matter what the sources is, I noticed that I could reduce or make it a little louder by turning off the OPC or playing around with the energy saving settings, it must have to do with controlling the light output, the circuity may use some sort of dimming to adjust for ambient lighting and power savings or the combination of the two.

I think I will be keeping this unit unless it can not be repaired by Sharp, I going to be pricing out a Mack warranty to protect my investment after the one year.
post #37 of 300
I just wanted to thank aiyer and cdtech20059 for their assistance with my TV's HDMI input issue. After performing the hardware reset procedure as stated in aiyer's post the issue was resolved.

I'm still not able to update the firmware on the set even though the set has an apparent build date of April 2009 (904). The update file that I'm using is the same as that mentioned above (HLNAC306.UVP), but the set keeps reporting that no file is present on the memory stick when I attempt the software update. I formatted the memory stick at work today for Fat (vice Fat32) using a Windows machine. I guess tomorrow I'll reformat the stick using Fat32 to see if that helps. One thing I found out today when I formatted the stick on the Windows machine was that even though my Mac was able to format the stick to Fat32 it added some hidden Mac specific files to the stick during the format process that caused my initial software update attempts on the TV to fail. I'm kind of wishing that Sharp had put an ethernet port on the TV as well as the USB port as I've had better luck performing these firmware updates on my other components that have a direct internet connection.
post #38 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-Monkey View Post

I just wanted to thank aiyer and cdtech20059 for their assistance with my TV's HDMI input issue. After performing the hardware reset procedure as stated in aiyer's post the issue was resolved.

I'm still not able to update the firmware on the set even though the set has an apparent build date of April 2009 (904). The update file that I'm using is the same as that mentioned above (HLNAC306.UVP), but the set keeps reporting that no file is present on the memory stick when I attempt the software update. I formatted the memory stick at work today for Fat (vice Fat32) using a Windows machine. I guess tomorrow I'll reformat the stick using Fat32 to see if that helps. One thing I found out today when I formatted the stick on the Windows machine was that even though my Mac was able to format the stick to Fat32 it added some hidden Mac specific files to the stick during the format process that caused my initial software update attempts on the TV to fail. I'm kind of wishing that Sharp had put an ethernet port on the TV as well as the USB port as I've had better luck performing these firmware updates on my other components that have a direct internet connection.

When I talked to the Sharp Tech Support person, they told me to format the USB stick in FAT16 and only have store the update file on the USB drive. I later found out that my TV has a firmware version starting with "T" and did not need the "S" firmware version the Sharp website.. Try that...
post #39 of 300
I also grabbed this TV from Wal-Mart this past Saturday for 898 (before taxes). I bought the last one after walking in 30 minutes after the sell started...lucky me!

First impressions: Not AS GREAT as I hoped since my Samsung 50" Plasma (PN50A400 $800 from '08 BF) 720p had a smoother/brigther picture on HD channels but then I remember that I need to adjust the settings/turn off enhancement/tweak and break it in...so i'll reserve my rating until I can get the picture to my liking...

I purchased this TV since I wanted to enjoy full 1080P on my blu-rays but yesterday was NFL day so I didn't get a chance to try a BD-disc. Will watch Dark Knight on my memorex blu-ray player and see if i can see a difference (hoping for better since 1080p > 720p, right?) from my Sammy.

The audio is alright (sammy is better) but that's not an issue since i have a full polk audio setup with an 606 Onkyo receiver. The bezel/frame is almost as nice as the sammy and yes, I can tell that the Sharp is slightly bigger.

My brother (who is also my roommate) kept saying the HD NFL programming looked smoother and less 'blocky' while heavy movement on the Sammy Plasma compared to the Sharp and after comparing them side to side, he was right.

I can't wait to get home from work so I can adjust my settings as the guy from slickdeals recommended and see if all that makes a difference. The truth-tell is going to be when I put in The Dark Knight (during the opening IMAX scenes) on the Sharp and then on the Sammy and see if the 1080p is a significant difference than on the Sammys' 720....

PS. I'll also look for the serial number and see if my TV can be upgraded.

PPS. Both the Sammy 50" Plasma (720p) and Sharp 52" LCD (1080p) are 12' from our couches. I'll try to remember to take some pictures.
post #40 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by cris619 View Post

I also grabbed this TV from Wal-Mart this past Saturday for 898 (before taxes). I bought the last one after walking in 30 minutes after the sell started...lucky me!

First impressions: Not AS GREAT as I hoped since my Samsung 50" Plasma (PN50A400 $800 from '08 BF) 720p had a smoother/brigther picture on HD channels but then I remember that I need to adjust the settings/turn off enhancement/tweak and break it in...so i'll reserve my rating until I can get the picture to my liking...

I purchased this TV since I wanted to enjoy full 1080P on my blu-rays but yesterday was NFL day so I didn't get a chance to try a BD-disc. Will watch Dark Knight on my memorex blu-ray player and see if i can see a difference (hoping for better since 1080p > 720p, right?) from my Sammy.

The audio is alright (sammy is better) but that's not an issue since i have a full polk audio setup with an 606 Onkyo receiver. The bezel/frame is almost as nice as the sammy and yes, I can tell that the Sharp is slightly bigger.

My brother (who is also my roommate) kept saying the HD NFL programming looked smoother and less 'blocky' while heavy movement on the Sammy Plasma compared to the Sharp and after comparing them side to side, he was right.

I can't wait to get home from work so I can adjust my settings as the guy from slickdeals recommended and see if all that makes a difference. The truth-tell is going to be when I put in The Dark Knight (during the opening IMAX scenes) on the Sharp and then on the Sammy and see if the 1080p is a significant difference than on the Sammys' 720....

PS. I'll also look for the serial number and see if my TV can be upgraded.

PPS. Both the Sammy 50" Plasma (720p) and Sharp 52" LCD (1080p) are 12' from our couches. I'll try to remember to take some pictures.



why would the tv need to be upgraded? difference in something when manufactured? havent opened box yet just wondering.
post #41 of 300
Does anyone know why that when Im on the VGA input with my computer the screen changes color every time I go to a different web page, it seems like it changes the color temp or something. Sometimes it will do it while im browsing the same page like 3 or 4 times! It is extremely annoying,Thanks.
post #42 of 300
Thread Starter 
Firmware upgrades allow for more menu functions or bugs to be repaired without having to take it to a shop. The most likely function is to allow the tv to recognize other devices that could be hooked up to it. I find this as a welcome function that can extend the life of a product. I see this as only a positive as long as the device is supported by the manufacturer in future years.
post #43 of 300
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarpateldc View Post

Does anyone know why that when Im on the VGA input with my computer the screen changes color every time I go to a different web page, it seems like it changes the color temp or something. Sometimes it will do it while im browsing the same page like 3 or 4 times! It is extremely annoying,Thanks.

Sound like a video sync problem, what res are you sending to the tv?

Just for web browsing I would choose a res that ends with 720 as its hi and a native resolution. I would check to see that the input is on standard and not cinema or other, and dot to dot and not stretch.

Refresh rate should be 60 hz on your monitor settings, I assume you are cloning your display, but without getting into to many questions, please list all the information.
pc, video card, res, ect. it will help to id the problems.
post #44 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiribomb View Post

Firmware upgrades allow for more menu functions or bugs to be repaired without having to take it to a shop. The most likely function is to allow the tv to recognize other devices that could be hooked up to it. I find this as a welcome function that can extend the life of a product. I see this as only a positive as long as the device is supported by the manufacturer in future years.

well said...

anyways, my TV was made in Sep 09 so it didn't need the firmware upgrade.

okay, so first i went ahead and adjusted the tv according to the quoted settings (on the first page) and i must say, all in all, it did improve but of course the picture was a bit too dark for my taste...but i'll leave it like that for a week or so just so i can 'break it in'...hopefully more 'recommended' settings will come out so i can try them.

i went ahead and loaded dark knight and a bugs life (both blu-ray) and WOW...now i'm MUCH more happy with my Sharp purchase! holy crap, i never thought the picture could be so much cleaner and crisp compared to my Sammy 50" plasma (720p). i had a huge smile when i saw the opening IMAX sequence in TDK. the picture quality was OUTSTANDING (especially being 12' away) shortly after i inserted A Bugs' Life and i couldn't have been more happy. colors, colors, colors and clarity is all i saw. i watched a few minutes and everything just jumped at me. beautiful...

to summarize: I CAN tell the difference from 1080p and 720p and i'm loving it! BUT i must say that the HD cable programming STILL looks better on my Sammy and I had them side to side for comparison and i wished the Sharp had the brightness/smoother picture like the Sammy was performing on ESPN HD...maybe after breaking in/further adjusting/tweaking i can get the Sharp to improve.

C/N: Sharp for Blu-ray is pretty much PERFECT. Sammy for HD Programming is pretty much perfect.

Guess this is the advantage of keeping both TVs'

here's some pictures i was snapping to show you my current setup (just moved in recently so i'm still trying to make up my mind wether i want to mount the Sammy 50")

Sharp 52"



Sammy 50"

Sammy 42"




*the 42" Sammy (720p) pictured is my brothers and we're thinking of putting it on one of our rooms since having 3 TVs in the living room is just silly*
post #45 of 300
additional pictures





post #46 of 300
I picked one of these up on at Walmart on Saturday morning; I'm happy with most aspects of the TV, except I seem to have some kind of evenly-spaced horizontal lines that I can't get rid of. They're most visible on darker, solid colors, especially grays. I took a few pictures (hopefully the artifact is clear). Any ideas? Incidentally, mine has an August manufacture date and the older S-series firmware (though I can't update it since the website doesn't have the T-series for download yet). I've tried both the hardware and settings resets, and I get the same problem on all inputs with any source (hdmi, rca, cable, etc.). I'm at my wit's end trying to diagnose this problem. I waited in line from 4am to get the TV, and would hate to hav to return it. Thanks in advance for your advice!


post #47 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by esadun View Post

I picked one of these up on at Walmart on Saturday morning; I'm happy with most aspects of the TV, except I seem to have some kind of evenly-spaced horizontal lines that I can't get rid of.

You have a defective panel. You will have to return it or do a warranty claim with Sharp.
post #48 of 300
You have a defective panel.
It shows the same horizontal banding which I was criticized for reporting several months ago, when the new product hype was in full swing.
Hopefully you won't get to much sh*t this time around.
post #49 of 300
Definitely try to get an exchange....the sooner the better.
post #50 of 300
I did the update, changed the view to Dot by Dot, and changed the A/V mode to standard. Everything looks great. The NFL game last night looked much smoother than before.
post #51 of 300
This was not a one-day sale. I bought mine at Walmart yesterday (they had it in the back) for $898. The quoted adjustments in this thread were terrible (although I did not tune the individual colors). I tuned my TV with Windows 7 Media Center to get the most accurate picture. The brightness setting ended up at -9 and the backlight was at the default +5. I can't recall the contrast setting but I increased it only a couple notches over default. With the OPC off this looked good, although I did turn it back on and increase the OPC range minimum (under Advanced).
post #52 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarpateldc View Post

Does anyone know why that when Im on the VGA input with my computer the screen changes color every time I go to a different web page, it seems like it changes the color temp or something. Sometimes it will do it while im browsing the same page like 3 or 4 times! It is extremely annoying,Thanks.

Make sure your screws are fastened tightly on both ends for the VGA hookup. Any slight movement will cause the pins to move and create "noise" with certain colors. If that's not it, check your video drivers(?) or try HDMI or DVI > HDMI cable if you are able to do that.
post #53 of 300
thanks for the suggestions, I will try them out when I get home. I am not cloning my PC it goes straight from the desktop to the tv via vga cable.
post #54 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcaz View Post

This was not a one-day sale. I bought mine at Walmart yesterday (they had it in the back) for $898. The quoted adjustments in this thread were terrible (although I did not tune the individual colors). I tuned my TV with Windows 7 Media Center to get the most accurate picture. The brightness setting ended up at -9 and the backlight was at the default +5. I can't recall the contrast setting but I increased it only a couple notches over default. With the OPC off this looked good, although I did turn it back on and increase the OPC range minimum (under Advanced).

Glad there's others who also didn't like the recommended settings. When you get a chance, can you please list exactly all the settings you ended up with? (CMS Hue/Saturation/ETC) so i can try them myself?

Thanks in advance.
post #55 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend View Post

You have a defective panel. You will have to return it or do a warranty claim with Sharp.

& HiFiFun, & cris619:

well, that's annoying...thanks for the quick replies, at least. I had to borrow an SUV to get this home in the first place. Will either warranty route save me the hassle and handle the return/replacement via free shipping? Plus I'm guessing all of my local Walmarts are sold out.
post #56 of 300
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by esadun View Post

& HiFiFun, & cris619:

well, that's annoying...thanks for the quick replies, at least. I had to borrow an SUV to get this home in the first place. Will either warranty route save me the hassle and handle the return/replacement via free shipping? Plus I'm guessing all of my local Walmarts are sold out.

I would try and get sharp service to fix it as you might not be able to find a replacement from walmart as the sale is still going on.

Tell sharp that you bought this tv and are very happy with it other than the banding issue. Tell them walmart is out of stock and it maybe months before they get another one, do not mention the sale unless specifically asked.

They will more than likely send a tech to try and fix it, if they can not then they should replace it at their cost, or upgrade you to another 52".

Double slick
post #57 of 300
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cris619 View Post

Glad there's others who also didn't like the recommended settings. When you get a chance, can you please list exactly all the settings you ended up with? (CMS Hue/Saturation/ETC) so i can try them myself?

Thanks in advance.

I do not know the link for the recommended settings that were provided, but i too did not like them. I have not tried to calibrate my tv as of yet, but I would say that should be the first step, after we id the functions that automatically adjust settings per a preset.

I think unless you use the calibration disk as a baseline for your setup it might vary a bit.

Of course the forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=139

Here is an article for some info:

http://www.hometheatermag.com/advice...perts/407cali/

Then please report your settings and setup for the rest of us.
post #58 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by cris619 View Post

additional pictures






Nice pics Creeeeeees .

Really like this TV so far.Nice replacement for my Sammy 56" DLP.
PS3 games look stunning on it.
I too noticed that HD programing look a little washed out (but I noticed that only the filmed content and not the "printed" content like the channel logos...take TLC HD as an example. The logo look bright red....if u understand what I mean)
Still playing with adjustments. I have contrast at about 25 and brightness around 10 and U ?

Can't wait to watch "UP" tonight.
post #59 of 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielh1979 View Post

Nice pics Creeeeeees .

Really like this TV so far.Nice replacement for my Sammy 56" DLP.
PS3 games look stunning on it.
I too noticed that HD programing look a little washed out (but I noticed that only the filmed content and not the "printed" content like the channel logos...take TLC HD as an example. The logo look bright red....if u understand what I mean)
Still playing with adjustments. I have contrast at about 25 and brightness around 10 and U ?

Can't wait to watch "UP" tonight.

Thanks, my little NASIOC friend!

Glad i'm not alone with the HD Programming statement. Again, the blu-ray movies (and i'm sure my xbox 360 will look nice too) REALLY makes this TV shine. Just pure crispness and BEAUTIFUL HD Video. I couldn't find ANYTHING wrong from 10-12' away. Too bad it was around midnight when I demo'ed the dark knight and a bugs life because i wanted to keep watching them just because how great they looked.

After reading the latest replies (also on the slickdeals thread) i'm going to make sure I have the 'Dot by Dot' view mode and see if that helps on the HD programming. Also i'll do some further reading on the Calibration Disk as chiribomb recommended) and see what I can come up with.

My contrast was at +30 and brightness at +1 since i followed the below settings
Quote:
If you are interested, the setting below seems to give the best picture. I found this on the web. You may have to tweak this to compensate for your room's ambient light.

OPC: Off
Backlight: -8
Contrast: +30
Brightness: +1
Color: +1
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0

Advanced menu:
Fine Motion Enhanced: On
Active Contrast: Off
Film Mode: On
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Monochrome: Off
Range of OPC: [N/A]

CMS Hue menu:
R: +5
Y: +6
G: -30
C: -7
B: +8
M: -4

CMS Saturation menu:

R: -4
Y: 0
G: +30
C: 0
B: 0
M: 0

Color Temp menu:
Color temp: Low
R Gain: +5
G Gain: +11
B Gain: -20

Power Control menu:
Power Saving: Off

I found it to be a bit too dark for my taste (especially on the HD programming) but did look a bit cleaner so i'll leave it for a bit as a 'breaking-in' safety-step.

Dynamic mode REALLY puts colors/brightness on the HD programming but it kind of makes the 'blockiness' on heavy moment more obvious than the lower brightness settings so it's a win/lose thing...i mean, there has to be someone who can figure out just.the.right.adjustments to make it both cleaner and colorful with enough brightness to show imperfections...that's what i'm waiting for

Been very busy at work and I also hit the gym afterwards so i'm still not able to enjoy the TV as much as I want to. The weekends is where i'm watching TONS of TV/blu-rays so hopefully i'll find the best of the best settings by then.
post #60 of 300
how long should u "break it in" before u can calibrate it?

Also from those listed settings. I changed it from color temp low to mid. low was to red/white for me.. still messing with settings. anyone else having good luck please post. as well

. I also turned off fine motion as well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp 52" LC-52SB57UN Owners Thread